Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought they were like cories! Oh god I'm going to fish hell for thi....... Uh we'll I'm probably going to fish hell for fishing sins already.

as you stare at the giant marlin mounted above your fireplace.. next to the shark.. next to the giant tuna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

You can see plecos like this in the streams here. It's really cool.

Sadly you can see giant plecos now in most bodies of water here now. They are considered an invasive species here in Florida where asshats that buy them at the local bog box LFS sell them like minnows not bothering to tell people they have a baby that will end up growing into a two foot monster that will get dumped into our local waters.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ah, those days when you just want to throw a $100 filter out the window.

At the zoo we used Magnum 350's for every tank, so I picked up 2 that I personally use, because I didn't want to deal with new canisters: one on my adult zebras, 1 on my 90. The zebra filter started leaking bad after a cleaning, at the top of the filter, and the O-ring was no longer tight. I ordered a new one, and after cleaning everything out again, the new O-ring also isn't tight enough to keep a seal, so water sprays out whenever the filter is turned on.

Is there any kind of oil or lubricant or anything I can put on this or should I just have a nice $100+ filter date with a sledgehammer?

gently caress, at this rate, between the heater dying, the Python not working, and now the loving filter breaking, EVERY loving TIME I get close to completing a dry season to get these fucks to breed, it's like the fish gods are just loving with me now!

Pics of the offending parts and areas of leakage? I am sure some of us have MacGuyvered things in the past and may be able to help.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

Ugh, I swear something's wrong with my 4 gallon shrimp tank. The water's fine but my shrimp keep dropping their eggs! Otherwise they're fine and healthy, there's no predation, they're having shrimp sex and getting berried, but the ladies will all drop their egg clusters in a week.

Terrible shrimp mothers? Pregnant? I don't want no kids?!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

What do y'all think about Jury rigging a spraybar on my fluval 106? Good idea/bad idea?

I made custom spraybars for both my SunSun canister filters and threw away the poo poo that came with them. Buy CVPC (suitable for situations involving drinking water uses) and you should be good. A handful of elbows, some 3 foot long sections and some caps for the ends and you are good to go. I drilled 1/4 inch holes spaced every 1 1/4 inches to keep a good flow.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They look nice.. I like the Dutch style personally. Heavily planted tanks are great, I don't mind as much that I can't see the fish all the time so long as the water is clear, I don't require additional filtration and the fish are happy.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Progress on my bowl..

day 1

day 63.

The airstone is to keep it from getting stagnant while things will in. I will eventually remove it altogether. As you can see, poo poo is already growing out the side and the dwarf hairgrass has filled in nicely.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

durrneez posted:

What a beauty! what are those bean-like things?

They are just pebbles you would use in an aquarium. Mostly did it to keep the hair grass planted because until it roots well the stuff likes to float up after a few days. No problems this time around though there is hair grass growing up from the bottom in all sorts of random places now so mission accomplished.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

WTF is with this goddamn summer!

For the first time in years my tap water comes out as 91* or higher. So I bought a 30 gallon drum, filled it, let it circulate overnight, and despite it being 83 in the house, the water is 84*. Either all my thermometers (digital, new batteries) are poo poo, or the AC control lies.

My a/c controls are conveniently located in a dark hallway that is always cooler than the house. With my thermostat set to 76 degrees and that hallway always being conveniently cool my a/c rarely kicks on until the rest of the house is much hotter. Case in point my office with all the computer gear and aquariums will read 82 degrees where the hallway of tranquility is 76. I have to kick the thermostat to 74 when I work from home to make it bearable in my office.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
FML I got a new little betta not even two weeks ago to replace Max who passed away a few months ago, and I killed him. He was a tiny little guy, a runt who the breeder was getting rid of. I put him in the same aquarium and due to the current from the in-tank filter I used a panty hose to cover the intake so he would not get sucked up. Everything was great for a week, the hose needed to be rinsed off because it gets gunked up fast. I was going to do it yesterday since I work from home but with the holiday on Monday I left my laptop at work locked up on Tuesday thinking it was the Monday so I had to go in. Yesterday morning I propped it open a little so there was inflow into the filter enough to not burn out the motor and I would change it when I got home. He must have swam up and got sucked in.. I should have changed the loving thing the night before but no. Everything fell into place.. the wrong place. Between me forgetting my laptop and not doing my due diligence this happens. I was so upset I broke down the aquarium completely, packed up everything in the closet, removed the stand from my office. Actually I took it out into the garage and in a fit of anger too a 5 lb sledgehammer to it and broke it to pieces. That is it for me with bettas, no new fish for that matter. I am a terrible human being.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

durrneez posted:

Hey demonR6, you're not a terrible human being. :glomp:

I sure as heck feel like it. :(

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks guys & gals. I know stuff like this happens but I feel responsible because I am supposed to be taking care of them and they rely on us for everything so any minor oversight or screw up on our part ends up, well...

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

deadlypie posted:

I was looking at my beta tank today and I noticed hundreds of white dots swimming around the bottom and middle of the tank. Does anyone know what these are and if I should be worried?

Pics or I didn't happen.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What else is in there??

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

deadlypie posted:

Just the beta fish used to have a snail in their but he died like a week ago. The weird thing is I did a full water change after so I have no idea where they came from.

What kind of snail because that very well could be baby snails.. wait, nvm they are free swimming. Water cooties.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I keep Otos and cories with my cherries.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

What the hell is the thing with the hooked claw?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dirtycajun posted:

I sadly think the problem for me might be all the natural light. There is a wall of windows nearby and I am not allowed to keep them shaded because my roommates like natural light. I will relook into my lights and make sure they aren't to blaim and get a timer switch for them anyways.

I need to take pictures of this, it is insane.

Please do.. my 20L sits in a window sill that was getting indirect sunlight up until about 2p where it was getting full sun till 6p or so. I did nothing to diffuse it until a few months later when I noticed during summer the temps were getting really high so I bought a rice paper window film and here we are two years later almost with zero algae problems to speak of. The tank is very heavily planted so I am sure that helps suck up the excess nutrients. No water changes, only top offs for me. I can't remember the last time but I think it was earlier this year when I did a 30% change for some reason.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Use Kordon breather bags if you are considering that route. Bettas breathe air, being sealed up in a plastic container is not a good idea. Kordon bags are what nearly every reputable person selling fish online will use now since you can load the bag to the top with water. If you have questions go to The Planted Tank forum and ask in there, someone will be happy to offer more advice on shipping fish which will more or less cover your needs.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

You don't use Kordon Breathers with some fish, like cories, bichirs, bettas. Anything that needs to get to the surface for a breath. Breather bags are sealed entirely and filled to the brim with water, no breathing space.

I would personally just not feed the fish for a few days ahead of time, bag them in Petsmart or Petco bags (they usually give you a few if you ask) and put the fish in a cooler or styrofoam box.

Shipping is one thing, but moving for 2 days is pretty easy with simple labryinth breathers. Heck, I know a betta breeder who packs her fish in small water bottles and ships them that way.

Really because my bettas have been shipped to me in Kordon bags? Go figure. Glad they arrived alive and thanks for the heads up.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

No idea. The betta breeders I know won't use Kordon for shipping bettas.

Now technically speaking, I guess you could use breather bags as long as you kept part of them filled with oxygen, but that defeats the purpose of a breather bag.

Then again I once got some plecos shipped to me with pieces of kitchen scrubber pads floating in the bag. When I asked the shipper about it, he said that was to prevent a cycle of bacteria. Trying to explain that plecos could get stuck in the loving things and die from stress did not go well.

Luckily I have a really good local contact now for my bettas and everything else my LFS has in stock.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Let's hope these guys actually eat hydra.

(I really like snails anyway, so no big loss if they don't)

I'm glad you like snails because you have a surprise coming..

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Whale Cancer posted:

I ordered a hydor inline heater and a fenixx temp control. Anyone have experience with these?

I'm wanting to pick up an extra canister filter for my tank. Looking to spend around $1oo, any suggestions? Used isn't an option where I live unless I can find something on ebay. I would prefer something around 300 gph flow.

True Aqua or what I use, knock off Sun-Sun canisters from eBay. I bought two a couple of years ago and they run like champs. It's essentially the company who manufacturers them selling wholesale white box lots and they are being resold.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Whale Cancer posted:

Aquatop, that is what I have been looking at, the UV 400 and 500. Which filter do you have?

The 400 without the UV.. The knock off has the option.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if they will let me post eBay links but search this and you will find the exact filter.

I know you are looking for 300 GPH but this is in the ballpark.

SUNSUN HW-302 3-STAGE AQUARIUM EXTERNAL CANISTER

This one is rated to 370 and has the UV light..

SUNSUN HW-303B 4-STAGE AQUARIUM EXTERNAL CANISTER

Personally I have the HW-302, two of them in fact since they are that cheap. I run a redundant system and my water is clear as you can imagine.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

There were some in the shop when I was buying my minnows and was sorely tempted to get them instead. :3:

I'm currently toying with the idea of buying some corys because the bottom of my tank looks awfully empty.

Buy a trio, hope you are lucky and they get busy right away and in a few months the bottom of your tank will look like mine. I think I counted 10 or 12 last time I checked.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have three German Blues in my 55.. not hard to keep at all. I feed them, they swim around. Don't know what else could be the problem. They get along the the schools of Celestial Pearl Danios and Cardinal Tetras also a pretty big school of cories, a couple of Otos, a clown loach and they don't even bother the shrimp in there. I have a few Amano and a badass ghost shrimp too.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Five bucks if you film the monster going after your fingers and another five if it latches on to one (or more) and we get full video of you struggling to free yourself from it. Screaming in pain and blood may get another few dollars depending on the authenticity and level of pain.

Desert Bus posted:

Four more pics of Monster (the only fish I've currently named, fucker has eaten hundreds of dollars worth of other fish, and is really interested in my fingers):

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I used to work front desk at a resort that had a huge saltwater tank with a fake reef and all sorts of flora and fauna. The guy who used to feed the fish in the mornings left and I inherited the job. The guy who maintained the aquarium gave me a complete how-to on feeding everything and I was doing great. The tank was big, you had to climb up using 8 foot ladder to them climb over the hood and there was a catwalk you would walk over and get the food ready and do the feedings from there. In the mornings there was always a few guests who would come in and watch the feeding and ask random questions about the tank and stuff. One morning there was this really attractive young woman who was there watching me feed the fish and me being the player I was at that time was talking to her and not paying attention.

Well, there were a couple of Stars and Stripes puffers in there, one was a rather large one at that but both highly competitive for the shrimp that I would feed them. The fish guy advised me to use the stick to feed the puffers and never ever try hand feeding them. Did you know that fingers look like shrimp to a puffer? Yeah, so talking to new hotness I lost focus and left my hand too close to the water. Next thing I know the large puffer leaps out of the water latching on to my index and middle fingers. If you have seen a Stars and Stripes puffer it has large front teeth like a beak.. and these were sharp. You probably get an idea what I was experiencing but it was not nearly as bad as what happens next as described by my co-workers who were behind the front desk watching this unfold.

In pain I naturally screamed out bloody murder, actually like a girl someone said but that is besides the fact. I jumped up with puffer firmly latched on its shrimp meal and not able to get it off I did the only thing you or I would do in this situation since fish guy never briefed me on that. I bashed the fucker against the side of the hood repeatedly. I am already at a disadvantage because I am perched on this catwalk trying not to fall in, I have this fish dead set on eating my fingers, I am in a world of pain and the hot young woman is now terrorized probably after watching this unfold. After what seemed like an eternity of me smashing this poor creature against the tank hood it let go, my fingers bloody (oh yes we had small sharks there as well now circling the surface in a frenzy) and the front desk in chaos from my steady stream of curse words and all around panic. I climbed out and someone handed me a pool towel to wrap my fingers in and we went to first aid. The fish they said fell back in, blew up like a balloon and dazed from being beaten senseless floated down into a corner between some coral where it eventually un-inflated.

I ended up with a trip to a walk-in clinic and eventually needed stitches on both due to the injury and have the scars to prove it. I never saw the woman again, I think that was a sign. Workmen's comp covered the expenses ironically for the fish attack and that is how they wrote it up too.

Needless to say I will never, ever stick my hand near water where something may try to eat my fingers again.

True story, you cannot make this poo poo up, plus I have scars. ;)

EDIT: also the FD people said all they could see was me making a commotion, screaming and heard something go thump thump against the hood with no idea what the hell was going on until they saw the blood in the water and the puffer fall back in, inflated and sinking to the bottom.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 4, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Might be worth replacing the full spectrum one, although I'm no plant expert.

Average life span is six months for a light before the output starts degrading so take that for what it is worth. If you have had that light in service for a year without replacing the bulb then it very well may be contributing to your algae farm.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Not an aquarium fish, but here's a freshwater monster i've been happy to live with for the past three years, and am quite sad is now gone.

Now it looks like i've got to wait for the government shutdown to end before renewing the pond's permits to get a new one.

Ack, that sucks to hear. But wtf about having to renew a pond permit to add a new fish? How would they know?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Whale Cancer posted:

My driftwood arrived today!

Very nice! Is it Manzanita?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Whale Cancer posted:

Yep, manzanita. Will be going in my 75. It's currently soaking in the bathtub. Shh don't tell my wife.

Hey I won't say a word.. my wife still has not figured out why the hell the tub in one of our bathrooms had this faint brown ring we needed harsh chemicals to remove. Also one of our dutch over pots was mysteriously ruined when I boiled a piece of wood in it. I never fessed up to that one either. Oh poo poo here she comes. later

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

What the hell happened to my betta's tail and fins!? They're all ragged and frayed looking along the edges and the tail is a mess! Augh!

The only other creatures in the tank are cories and chain loaches and I dont think either of those are supposed to be nippers? What could have just caused half his tail to go missing?

What's your filter intake like? I had one who liked to rest against the filter and found his tail shredded to poo poo one day. Some who have longer fins get fed up and chomp on it too. I read that once in a betta forum.. tailbiters.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

Okay back to the betta, on a question not related to the fins. Metallic pigments! When I got him back in... April? his eyes were completely clear and black. Now you might be able to see that the metallic pigment is covering a lot of his eye. It started from the top. Now it's pretty much a lower crescent of the eye that isnt covered with the pigment. He still seems to be okay with finding food and responding to visual stimulis. Should I worry about this?

I am not too familiar with Dragonscale bettas.. they are a fairly new hybrid aren't they? I can check on the betta forums and ask around.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think 25% would be a safe bet but even the 33% that I normally do it not bad. You are not removing 100% of the ammonia with a 25% water change. Let it go for another week and the residual ammonia level has now increased by X amount beyond the level prior to your first water change. That continues to compound itself and then you end up with the "oh poo poo my ammonia level is through the roof!"

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Once you notice the snails multiplying, it is too late. Baiting them will only make things better for a little while. Once they are there in numbers it means they are reproducing nicely and for every 100 you capture there are equally as many little snail egg pouches all over every surface of your tank. I spent a good solid month of baiting snails in a very effective traps removing dozens and dozens of eggs. I added assassin snails, a clown loach, removed plants. Nothing short of nuking the tank and starting over but the snails persist. Drop dozens of assassins in there and sure they will help but just like the loach they will only go after them once they are a suitable size for them to snack on, they won't eat every single snail they encounter and even then I have two assassins who prefer the damned algae wafers I feed the cories so that can backfire on your as well. If you nuke the tank, start over with new gravel, if you have live plants bid them farewell and hot water with a 10-15% bleach solution will take care of the remaining snail sacs that hide on the glass.

There is a reason the thread tag mentions runaway snail infestations.. they are like roaches.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My 20 L infestation has dropped considerably with only trapping and cutting back on feeding. Since that is a shrimp only except for one Oto I can cut back the food considerably and everyone will survive. My 50 tank though is a tougher issue to tackle because the mix of fish. The cories only eat bottom feeder pellets so I have to drop in enough for the entire school. The clown loach will eat snails and wafers. The Otos need a wafer as well. The Cardinal Tetra school and CPD school both eat flakes but gently caress my life if they don't eat the stuff when I drop it in, I have to stick my fingers in and swirl it so it disperses and they catch flakes on the way down. The Cards will go after it aggressively and the CPD's hang back and catch it if it makes it to them so I end up having to spread the food all over to try and get them to eat. The German Blues will eat anything. The shrimp I don't worry about since they scavenge. Plenty of leftover food for the snails who are everywhere. I am trapping but even hundreds at a time they still reproduce like rabbits. Just gotta live with it in some situations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Squish posted:

I totally wantneed a Moai head.

Are you in the states? I have two of them. Not to life-size scale.

In other news does anyone have a recommendation for hair algae? It's brought upon by high iron in the water and I cannot get around that issue so when in Rome, throw something at it that will eat it. The Amano in the tank have zero interest in it mostly since any attempt to leave their safe area will spell doom for them at the hands of the two GBR's.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Medicinal Penguin posted:

What do you guys have set up for light timers? The little mechanical wheel timer power strips I have keep failing really fast.

I just bought the poo poo timers you pick up at Wal-Mart that cost a couple of bucks where you place the pegs in the start/stop and have never had an issue in three years which is my oldest timer. Same timers in fact I use on all the lights that have timers in my house and those are four years now since we bought the house.