Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

After seeing Mr. Despair's video in the last thread, I decided to try my hand at a time lapse video. This is my 55gal frontosa tank. Audio kind of cuts off abruptly since the video wasn't quite long enough. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHjfOAiTiEA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

I went to a garage sale today. For $25 I came home with this:

You probably already know this, but you should take that tank outside (or in a garage or something) and fill it up and let it sit for at least a few days. Garage sale tanks are pretty notorious for leaks. A friend of mine learned this the very hard way.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got an early Christmas gift of a light stand and umbrella, and had a brief chance to try it out this morning on my frontosa tank. Really hoping to swing a new 120g in the next month or two to replace this old rear end scratched to hell 55g.

DSC_6311.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6301.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6312.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6291.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shakenbaker posted:

Bought one of those Current USA LED fixtures like I mentioned last page, a 24 inch unit. Got sent two of them, but I only paid for one. Woohoo!

Playing with the remote right now, this is kinda fun.

This is from a few pages back, but I have two of these fixtures (one on a 55g the other on a 90g, neither planted) and they have been great! I love the different looks you can get with them.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

durrneez posted:

Those pictures are so beautiful! What kind of camera is that?!

Thanks! I use a Nikon D7000, Nikkor 105mm macro lens and a few off camera flashes. You can get really good results without spending nearly that much though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Chatting with my LFS guy now, hopefully I'll be bringing home a new 4' 120g tank this weekend!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is anyone else keeping Malawi cichlids? I've currently got 10 mbuna, 3 haps and a peacock in the 90 now. They will be going into the 120, and I want to add some more fish at that time, just not sure what.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bait and Swatch posted:

So my project to build my own 3d aquarium background for my 120 is going splendidly after a rough start.

After trying out concrete over styrofoam and being unhappy with the results, I started over using drylok masonry waterproofer painted onto styrofoam. My wife and I carved out everything with a soldering iron and have just finished the second coat of drylok mixed with gray acrylic paint.

I apologize for no pictures. I took a bunch, but am too tired to organize them tonight and will post them tomorrow.

I'd be interested to see how it turns out. I usually just paint the backs of my tanks black, but a 3d background is definitely intriguing. Does your 120 have overflows you had to work around?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

High five fellow African keeper, too few of us on here. Your tank looks gorgeous, really nice job on it. Your haps will outgrow that tank eventually, most people I've talked to say they will need a 5' tank when fully grown. That should be years down the road though. My collection has moved from a 55g to a 90g and soon to a 120g, and I'm planning for a 240+ a few years from now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Big tank people - Tank placement. How big of a tank are you willing to put on a non-slab floor? My local LFS says they install up to 210s without worrying about reinforcement, but that seems outrageous to me. Internet wisdom suggests you start worrying at about 100 gallons. The more anecdotal evidence I can get, the better I will sleep at night.

Well, my 90g + 30g sump sits along a load bearing wall in my living room. It's been there nearly a year, and it's been rock solid. I'll be placing my 120g along an exterior wall in the room above my garage, perpendicular to the floor joists. I hope to start filling it up on Sunday, so I guess we'll see. If it starts to feel sketchy it's going into the basement, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Tonight I tore down the 55g frontosa tank and moved it downstairs in preparation for the 120. I refilled it and put the eheim classic canister back on, and will move the frontosa back in tomorrow. They're chilling out in a plastic tub overnight.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Naturally my furnace goes out just after dropping a grand on a new tank, and while half my fish are living in a plastic tub. Oh, and our high temp for the next few days is 3 degrees F. Think it's time to go buy a few extra heaters and hope that we can get this fixed asap. Not like I wanted to set up the new tank today or anything. :suicide:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just finished up a busy few days of fishkeeping. Picked up the 120 and moved it in, and then took a PVC shopping trip at Lowes. After plumbing in the wet/dry on the 120, I decided to redo the old plumbing from the 90g that I got used a year ago. After that I moved some of the substrate and all of the rock from the 90 to the 120, and then seeded the wet/dry with the bioballs from the 90s sump. Filled the 120 and matched temps with the 90, then moved all the fish over. My frontosa are still in a tub at this point, so I redid the rockscape in the 90, cleaned it up and filled it, put my seeded canister on, and finally was able to add the fish.

I really like how everything turned out. Too tired to take pics right now, but I'll have some up in the next couple of days. Here is the one pic I took of the whole process

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shot of the new tank, and then a few close ups of some of the guys living in it.

DSC_6612.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6627.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6655.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6667.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6674.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6703.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6665.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That background looks awesome, you did a really good job painting it. Can't wait to see some tank pics once you're all done!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So I've got an unused 55g downstairs, and I'm thinking of turning it into a kind of tacky, 80s style community tank. I'm talking neon gravel, fake plants, skulls, treasure chests, basically the kind of tank I loved when I was 9 years old and got my first setup. Looking for some suggestions on how to stock it, what would you do if you could go hog wild on a cheesed out 55?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

demonR6 posted:

Pirate ships, skulls, ooh the scuba guy with the air bubbler.. the possibilities are endless.

Oh yeah, can't forget the scuba dude!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, when I was a kid I remember finding a scuba guy variant that was the Creature from the Black Lagoon. I should try and track one of those down.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Snagged a very lightly used Fluval FX5 for $100 today off of Craigslist. Can't have too much filtration on a cichlid tank.

Also picked up a few new mbuna this weekend. I've had a metriaclima greshakei in an isolation tank for a while now, as he was way too dominant in the main tank. I picked up a few new mature males (pseudotrohpheus crabro and melanochromis auratus) in hopes that it will spread out the aggression enough that I can reintroduce the greshakei. So far so good, but I'm gonna have to keep a close eye on things.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 11, 2014

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bichirs get pretty huge don't they? What are you going to do with all of them?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Woke up this morning and found Destro, my red empress hap, floating dead at the top of the tank. He looked really beat up, and I'm not sure what happened to him. Last night he looked perfectly fine, and I've never seen any fish picking on him in the two years I've had him. I've lost a few fish over the years to various things, but this one really sucks. :cry:

RIP you beautiful bastard

DSC_6703.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Quarantine tank. Sponges are currently in my tank. Anything I missed?

Water!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

^^^^
seconded

Ok, I've been quiet about my cheesed out 80s 55g tank, but it is very nearly finished. Yesterday I was finally able to rehome a few mbuna that couldn't hang with the others in the 120, so now the 55g is empty and ready for decoration. I will post some pics later tonight hopefully when all is done.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 13, 2014

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks to a buy 2 get 1 deal going at petsmart, my new project tank is stocked and ready.

40 neon tetras
12 "glo-fish" tetras
6 cory cats (3 albino)
3 dwarf gourami's
and a dozen or so ghost shrimp

It's so dumb, but extremely hypnotic to sit and watch.

DSC_6859.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6858.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6857.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6854.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We've taken to calling it the 80s fever dream tank. I'm on the hunt for a Creature From the Black Lagoon decoration, then I'll be all set. Gonna see if I can put up a short video later, it really needs to be seen in motion.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Here's a short video of the tank, with the thunderstorm program running on my led lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lb_3Fij6Yk

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The sad thing is, I'll bet 90% of the people I have over will like that tank more than the other "boring" ones.

Maybe I should convert my 120g to something like that. I bet I could get 300+ tetras in there. :getin:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thalamas posted:

I think the dominant male rosy barb shredded the pectoral fin of the other male in the tank. It was either him or my opaline gourami. Poor guy. He seems to be holding up okay, but half the fin is down to the spines and he's sticking to the part of the tank with the lowest water flow. Thankfully, all of the other fish have been leaving him alone. Wish I had a hospital tank for him. :(

All you really need is a heater, an air stone and any kind of container (I've used plastic tubs before). I've currently got a swallowtail peacock getting the "melafix spa" treatment in a hospital tank, and he's almost completely regrown all of his fins. Poor guy lasted one day in my main tank, and had all of his fins eaten off overnight. He was bobbing around upside down and vertical in the tank, barely able to move at all, and I thought he was a goner for sure. Now not even three weeks later he is healthy and looks almost good as new.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got home from work today, and my 3 year old OB peacock was dead. He was probably my favorite fish too. :cry:

I have no idea what happened, he was healthy and active this morning, there are no marks on his body that I can find, and there hasn't been any aggression in the tank lately at all. Water is fine, and the other fish are healthy looking, so I'm stumped.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks Dantu. Losing fish is inevitable in this hobby, but it still sucks when it happens.

I've been on a quest to grab a photo of my bristlenose pleco for a while now, but he has the uncanny ability to disappear as soon as I get my camera out. This morning I finally managed to get a single photo off before he vanished, hoping to get some better ones soon.

DSC_6862.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Took a few more while I had my stuff out. I didn't have the filters off for long enough so the water doesn't look as clean as I'd like, but I'm too lazy to go in and spot remove all that crap.

DSC_6867.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6869.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6878.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6877.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6881.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6891.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6889.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6892.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Beautiful fish Fusillade, what size tank and filtration are you running? I'd love to house some bass someday.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides super reds this weekend. They are still pretty young, but we're hopeful that the smallest of the two is female. They will be chilling in my 10g quarantine for the next month or so, while I decide if they will end up in the 55g community tank or get their own 40g breeder.

Apistogramma Cacatuoides Super Red by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oh, I actually only have the 1 male and a female. I just put up 2 pics of the guy. Hoping that they decide to breed, that will be a fun project.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I kicked up the ability to annoy my fish by several notches today.

frontosa by meramsey, on Flickr

frontosa by meramsey, on Flickr

Snagged a good deal on an underwater enclosure, for playing at the beach with my pocket camera, and as a bonus I can take in-tank shots now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bait and Swatch posted:

These pictures look spectacular. I really need to get a decent camera, the clarity in the shots some of you post are just amazing.

Thanks! It's almost like cheating though when you don't have to shoot through the tank glass.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gibbo posted:

In the last couple days one of my Figure 8 puffers has started basically biting at... nothing. He'll float in place or swim around a bit and just rapidly bite. It's not non stop though, just every now and then.

Is this a sign of anything bad or is it just fish personality?

His tankmate seems to be fine (another figure 8), and isn't doing anything like that. This one is a lot more lurkey than the other.

How are your temps? Sounds like it could possibly be low oxygen in the water.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

First one is definitely a yellow lab, the other 3 all look like they could be OB Peacocks, but it's hard to tell for sure.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Thanks for all the help! Looks like snails neons and shrimp will be my route. I'll be getting set up in the next few days so I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions.

E: another question! I'm coming from New England to Idaho, and I'm wondering if I need to completely get all the algae off the walls of my tank. (Don't want to spread an invasive species) I tried getting the most I could off when I was in NE with water and paper towels, but there was some stubborn spots. If I do have to worry about it, how would I get it off?

Assuming it's a glass tank, razor blades work wonderfully. Obviously not for use on acrylic tanks!

It's probably not strictly necessary, but I like to clean my tanks out with a mild (10% or so) bleach solution. Rinse thoroughly afterwards, let it sun dry, and then fill with water and a 2-3x dose of dechlor and let it sit a few days. Gets things nice and clean, and no worries that something will be hanging around to infect your new setup.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 30, 2014

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone happen to have an idea when the next $1/g tank sale at Petco will be? I want to pick up a few tanks, but figured I'd hold out for that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

During a water change yesterday evening I found a dozen free swimming fry in my "all-male" mbuna tank. Turns out that John Waters, my yellow lab, has been living a lie for the past 3 years. I have no clue who the father is, and I don't have any two of the same species in the tank, so will be interesting to see what they grow into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

Isn't nature beautiful?

The upside to this is that my wife is going nuts over baby fishies, and I got the go-ahead to build a stand and buy a couple of 40g breeder tanks!