Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

gohmak posted:

Slow Bullets, that is some vile writing. AR is my favorite scifi writer and I enjoyed Poseidons wake but Slow Bullets was painful to get through.

I ripped through Slow Bullets. Didn't love it, but I did enjoy it. It was definitely a story that worked best at the 200 page threshold, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Clancy went off the deep end wayyy before 9/11.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Koesj posted:

Clancy went off the deep end wayyy before 9/11.

No later than 1996 with Executive Orders and Clancy jerking off about how he'd love to redesign the US government along right-wing lines, but arguably no later than 1987 with sending US troops into Colombia to fight the War on Drugs.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Eh, I must have confused him with all the authors who got 9/11 Derangement Syndrome.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

gohmak posted:

Slow Bullets, that is some vile writing. AR is my favorite scifi writer and I enjoyed Poseidons wake but Slow Bullets was painful to get through.

I would say the opposite.
Slow bullets is AR doing what he does best, while the poseidon series was pretty meh.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Antti posted:

Eh, I must have confused him with all the authors who got 9/11 Derangement Syndrome.

No, you're not mistaken. Some people complain about his earlier stuff but there's a rather huge leap to Teeth of the Tiger. Clunky writing to keep it ostensibly in the same world as the earlier Ryan books, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

rchandra posted:

No, you're not mistaken. Some people complain about his earlier stuff but there's a rather huge leap to Teeth of the Tiger. Clunky writing to keep it ostensibly in the same world as the earlier Ryan books, too.

Isn't Tom Clancy a franchise these days? I seem to recall he stopped writing his books and they're done by ghost-writers these days, although I'm not sure when the cutoff was.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Isn't Tom Clancy a franchise these days? I seem to recall he stopped writing his books and they're done by ghost-writers these days, although I'm not sure when the cutoff was.

I mean he's dead so yeah, he's not writing books anymore. According to his bibliography he did decide to start farming out his books to other people in 2010.

vvv HA HA IN YOUR FACE NERD

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

You're right, but he's also been dead since 2013.

Efb

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 21, 2015

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, Tom Clancy is dead, so yeah probably franchised these days.

EDIT: WOW, gently caress me for not refreshing before replying.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

tonytheshoes posted:

Ah, thanks for the recommendation, but unfortunately I've already read that one. Anyway, I'm going to re-read a couple of old books that I might have missed things in--The Books of the New Sun, etc...

Have you read any Robert Holdstock? He got the whole Wolfe-like open ended mysterious, layers-upon-layers thing going on in his Merlin Codex.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Tom Clancy's life was long and bad, much like his books. Thankfully he is now dead.

bug-eyed with glasses phase of his life

'bug-eyed without glasses' phase..."maybe they don't really look so bad? also, i'm rich, who cares what I look like?" said Tom

'actually, yeah, they look bad, and this looks badass naval style' phase of his life

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

oh wait, he's still alive as a ghost now, piloted by 'david michaels' which sounds like a fake name

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

That cover is like the ultimate "I don't want to loving read this" thing I've ever seen. I'd rather read a book with six-pack abs and a wolf/bear/dragon in the background than that book

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

ulmont posted:

No later than 1996 with Executive Orders and Clancy jerking off about how he'd love to redesign the US government along right-wing lines.

Clinton getting elected broke Clancy's brain.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

angel opportunity posted:

That cover is like the ultimate "I don't want to loving read this" thing I've ever seen. I'd rather read a book with six-pack abs and a wolf/bear/dragon in the background than that book

who says you can't have both :getin:

I think that's based on the prerelease art style for Ghost Recon Future Soldier which works far better as a videogame than a novel, most notably because a bunch of that got changed in the six years of development hell that ended up spitting out a finished product. The little dinky over the shoulder triple missile launcher is a dead giveaway if you're a giant nerd like me

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Psion posted:

who says you can't have both :getin:

I think that's based on the prerelease art style for Ghost Recon Future Soldier which works far better as a videogame than a novel, most notably because a bunch of that got changed in the six years of development hell that ended up spitting out a finished product. The little dinky over the shoulder triple missile launcher is a dead giveaway if you're a giant nerd like me

I love video game dev hell stories, where can I read up?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Help me out a bit, Dune fans... (couldn't find an actual Dune thread, or I'm just blind or something)

Way back in the long time ago, I read the first 3 or 4 books but I ran out of gas on it. Then about 8 or 9 years ago I heard that his son actually ended up finishing the series but I just never got around to it.

Well, these Malazan books aren't gonna last forever, and I could go for something huge to read once they're done. I refuse to pick up Jordan or Goodkind again. Just... no. I'd have to start over with Dune since I don't remember a whole lot anymore, but that's not really a problem.

I just want to know if the ending is worth doing it, and if the writing is still decent.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fenrir posted:

Help me out a bit, Dune fans... (couldn't find an actual Dune thread, or I'm just blind or something)

Way back in the long time ago, I read the first 3 or 4 books but I ran out of gas on it. Then about 8 or 9 years ago I heard that his son actually ended up finishing the series but I just never got around to it.

Well, these Malazan books aren't gonna last forever, and I could go for something huge to read once they're done. I refuse to pick up Jordan or Goodkind again. Just... no. I'd have to start over with Dune since I don't remember a whole lot anymore, but that's not really a problem.

I just want to know if the ending is worth doing it, and if the writing is still decent.

The advice on dune is always this:

Start with Frank Herbert's books. Stop when you feel like it, or when you finish all the books he wrote.

Under no circumstances should you read the Brian Herbert books, even if you finish all 6 his dad did.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
That is objectively the best advice. There's just no solid consensus on when/if the series gets unsalvageably bad, but it will never, ever improve from where you decide to leave off.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Yikes... that bad, huh?

Hell, I might just scrap that idea and look elsewhere. I already got 3-4 books in once and decided to quit. Maybe 15 year old me knew what he was doing.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I actually really like books 5 and 6 of Dune. They're slower, but not necessarily bad - I do think the series as a whole gets worse as you go through it, but Herbert's worst is still pretty good.

It's just that Brian Herbert should never be allowed near a keyboard again for his crimes against Dunanity.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Fenrir posted:

Yikes... that bad, huh?

Hell, I might just scrap that idea and look elsewhere. I already got 3-4 books in once and decided to quit. Maybe 15 year old me knew what he was doing.

Nothing you can imagine is as unfortunate as the way Dune ended up.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I hated Dune and couldn't finish it so I guess I dodged a bullet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Megazver posted:

I mean he's dead so yeah, he's not writing books anymore. According to his bibliography he did decide to start farming out his books to other people in 2010.

vvv HA HA IN YOUR FACE NERD

Actually the rumor is that he didn't even write his last two books with Red Rabbit and Teeth of the Tiger actually being ghostwritten. Which makes sense as one of them is a story he didn't feel like telling in the first place and the other a weirdly racist piece of poo poo.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

muscles like this? posted:

Actually the rumor is that he didn't even write his last two books with Red Rabbit and Teeth of the Tiger actually being ghostwritten. Which makes sense as one of them is a story he didn't feel like telling in the first place and the other a weirdly racist piece of poo poo.

If "The Bear and the Dragon" didn't earn this label from you I shudder to think how bad "Teeth of the Tiger" must be.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

thehomemaster posted:

I hated Dune and couldn't finish it so I guess I dodged a bullet.

I started reading and gave up on it twice; once in the 90's and once in the 2000's. Nothing interesting seemed to happen.

Last year one of my Dune-fan friends couldn't get into Anathem, so we made a deal where neither of us would give up on the other's favorite book.

He got the better end of that deal. Dune turned out to be okay but nothing spectacular IMO. The multi-year jump in the narrative that skips a lot of the main character's development was rather disappointing (He was unsure and untested X, but now he's badass and beloved Y!).

I'd love for someone to explain to me what's so magic about Dune. I kid you not, some guy walking past my lunch joint saw me reading it and shouted "That book will change your life!!"

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
That's a much better story than mine. People are weird with their obsessions sometimes.

It didn't help I listened to the audiobook, what with all the head jumping.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Funny thing, I started re-reading the Dune series the other day. I'm halfway through Messiah (Book 2) right now. It's still really good. I like the richness of it, though.

Gonna take a break and read the new Stross once I need a breather.

DEFINITELY ONLY STICK WITH 1-6 (the actual real Dune books by Frank Herbert). The BH/KJA books are stunningly bad. Even if you're like 'Well, BH/KJA did do a direct sequel, Dune 7/8' JUST DON'T.

The prequel books are even loving worse.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

thetechnoloser posted:

Funny thing, I started re-reading the Dune series the other day. I'm halfway through Messiah (Book 2) right now. It's still really good. I like the richness of it, though.

Gonna take a break and read the new Stross once I need a breather.

DEFINITELY ONLY STICK WITH 1-6 (the actual real Dune books by Frank Herbert). The BH/KJA books are stunningly bad. Even if you're like 'Well, BH/KJA did do a direct sequel, Dune 7/8' JUST DON'T.

The prequel books are even loving worse.

No, the prequels are not worse than the "ending" they wrote. Make no mistake, the prequels are bad, but the last two books are a special kind of terrible.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

neongrey posted:

That is objectively the best advice. There's just no solid consensus on when/if the series gets unsalvageably bad, but it will never, ever improve from where you decide to leave off.

I half agree in that i feel like you should just stop wherever you feel like stopping, but i do think heretics is better than children, for example.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, a fair number of villains are treated as products of a profoundly hosed-up system. Basically, nobles are people and everyone else isn't, so, say, if your cousin's a serial killer, it's just a funny little peccadillo provided they restrict themselves to peasants. It's the Westminster paedophile ring (don't google that if you want to sleep at night) writ large. The second book in particular goes into this with the prison hostage situation sequence.

I just finished Traitor's Blade about 20 minutes ago (which I got because of this thread), and I haven't been so amped by a fantasy book since Lies of Lock Lamora. I immediately purchased Knight's Shadow.

There was talk of a "twist", and about half-way through I'm thinking "feh, some twist. I've already figured it out."

Nope. He walloped me with not one, but two twists in the plot I hadn't seen coming. And I love that he rope-a-doped me by dangling the obvious in front of me.

I can't wait to start on the next one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fenrir posted:

Yikes... that bad, huh?

I didn't really find the Black Company all that compelling. It read like some nice AD&D books and while that doesn't make it bad, after the first three or four I didn't care to read any more - especially once the characters/writing changed. I get that Erickson was influenced by them, though.

It's not a series, but read Cook's The Dragon Never Sleeps once you finish Malazan. Great book. And then you could also read Joe Abercrombie's whatever his first couple of books were. Something Law.

And then check out The Long Ships by Bergtsson, fo ra little older Viking flair. :black101:

There're a lot of great books out there and I could definitely just keep posting random good stuff, but unfortunately Malazan is rather unique.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

savinhill posted:

Have you read any Robert Holdstock? He got the whole Wolfe-like open ended mysterious, layers-upon-layers thing going on in his Merlin Codex.

I haven't! I'll check it out. Thanks!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This fantasy talk reminds me that I need to finish up the second Locke Lamora book.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Looks like I'll hit Greatcoats before Malazan (might re-read Stormlight before it too).

oh wait, he's still alive as a ghost now, piloted by 'david michaels' which sounds like a fake name

I really liked the first Ghost Recon game on PC. Get a bunch of people together for multiplayer, carefully move in to position to take out the hosti-oh one of them cast Detect Life 500' Radius and now an army's tearing right towards us. :argh:

Kalman posted:

I actually really like books 5 and 6 of Dune. They're slower, but not necessarily bad - I do think the series as a whole gets worse as you go through it, but Herbert's worst is still pretty good.

It's just that Brian Herbert should never be allowed near a keyboard again for his crimes against Dunanity.

Did he figure he could just get things in order because Tolkien's son did or what?

How many of the books does the Dune movie's plot go through?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

How many of the books does the Dune movie's plot go through?

Only the first one, in a maximally confusing fashion.

(You're talking about the de Laurentiis/Lynch one with Sting, right?)

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

I think the guy still writing the main series Tom Clancy books is somebody named "Mark Gearney". Unsurprisingly he's absolutely terrible.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Sometimes I feel like I've misjudged God Emperor of Dune because I wasn't old enough to get it and think I should maybe go back to read it but then I'd have to read through the first three books again and while there's really nothing wrong with that I don't especially want to. But in my memory that book was profoundly hosed up and I just can't quite remember which part of it (and have a feeling the answer is more than one part). Though I totally do remember which part of Heretics got me to stop.

I'm still mad that my friend forgot to return my copy of Destination: Void for 8 years and then he did return it and I lost it. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Just got my copy of Poseidon's Wake in the mail and I know it kind of goes without saying considering how widespread it is in the SFF genres, but UK covers are stunningly superior to their NA counterparts. Really wish I had the UK versions of the first two books in the series to complete the set but oh well.