Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Additionally, what are some cool books about colonisation? I've only read a few novels on the subject, most of which I can't remember right now besides Niven's Destiny's Road.

The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe*, The Man in the High Castle by Dick, I think The Word for World is Forest by le Guin, Paul Park's Coelestis (I think), The War of the Worlds, and Peter Watts' rifters books, which start with Starfish, end with some stuff on colonialisation. There must be something that touches on the link between terraforming and colonialism, but I'm not sure what. Man Plus by Fred Pohl, maybe, in an oblique way; it's about a man being engineered to live on Mars.

Guy A. Person posted:

So I am looking for recommendations on basically any fantasy that is either a single book or so self-contained that I could read the first book in a series without needing to immediately go into the next part.

andrew smash and the blind idiot god gave you pro recs. I'd also add Hugh Cook - that's me in the comments raving. It's a ten book series, but each is a readable length and each is self-contained, so you can read them in almost any order - just read number 6 before 7 and the last one last. Also try Mary Gentle's Ash, a long and very gritty (almost self-parodically, really) historical fantasy, and John Crowley, either Otherwise (three short sf novels) or Little, Big (one long fairy story.)

e:

Wrageowrapper posted:

Though she is South African she isn't black. She was on an Australian Show a few weeks back talking about William Gibson and was whiter than white. Zoo City is awesome though and the main character is a black woman.

Thanks, that was embarrassing.

*I should just get a sig telling people to read this book

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer
This book is about aliens colonizing earth. I read it recently and liked it enough to be the one subsequent book. So FREE on Kindle http://www.amazon.com/The-Course-Empire-Eric-Flint/dp/0743498933/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371502825&sr=8-1&keywords=empire+flint

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

So I am looking for recommendations on basically any fantasy that is either a single book or so self-contained that I could read the first book in a series without needing to immediately go into the next part.

Try Dave Duncan's The Gilded Chain. It's fast paced and witty sword and sorcery with some very good characters. It's the first novel in his Tales of the King‘s Blades collection, but it is standalone, as are his other King's Blades novels.

http://daveduncan.com/books/book_details.php?id=16 That's a link to the author's website.

edit: Also, you can't go wrong with any of Joe Abercrombie's standalones. My favorite of his is Best Served Cold, which is a gritty fantasy revenge caper with unique characters, good dialogue, and dark humor.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 17, 2013

rvm
May 6, 2013
Great job with the OP, but I found an error:

Cosmic Horror and Weird Tales

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

savinhill posted:

edit: Also, you can't go wrong with any of Joe Abercrombie's standalones. My favorite of his is Best Served Cold, which is a gritty fantasy revenge caper with unique characters, good dialogue, and dark humor.
I love Best Served Cold, but I would personally advise against reading any of Joe Abercrobmie's standalone novels unless you get through The First Law trilogy (well worth the read, but definitely a series). There are tons of throwbacks and casual references to things that happened in the trilogy that would be lost on someone who hadn't read the trilogy. It's definitely readable on it's own, but that's not really the best way to approach it. I'd say it's a decent book without having read the trilogy and really great if you have read the trilogy.

Another suggestion would be Felix Gilman's The Half-made World. It's really tough to describe what the novel actually is. I finished it a few months back and I'm not really sure myself, but it is an enthralling journey through a very alien world. A bit more technology than most fantasy, but definitely not steam-punk (or any other "punk" subgenre for that matter), though quite definitely fantasy at it's heart. It has a loosely connected sequel, which I haven't read, but it stands on it's own perfectly. Gilman's use of language and metaphor, combined with mind-loving imagery is really something that must be experienced.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Azathoth posted:

Take a look at Monument by Ian Graham. It's pretty dark, but succeeds in telling a self-contained story in a single book. It isn't well-known, but the author tells a story that most other authors would stretch to a trilogy and does so without feeling like it was compressed.

I was going to recommend this when I read that post. I picked it up on a whim at Borders solely based on the cover and loved the whole thing. Ballas is a very memorable character (it's been about 8+ years since I read it). I really want more and almost wish the author would make it into a trilogy.

Smapti
Jun 15, 2013

Azathoth posted:

Take a look at Monument by Ian Graham. It's pretty dark, but succeeds in telling a self-contained story in a single book. It isn't well-known, but the author tells a story that most other authors would stretch to a trilogy and does so without feeling like it was compressed.

Yes! I second this. Monument has one of the best antiheros as a main character I've ever read. This isn't an "antihero" in scare quotes like in other genre novels (eg a gritty and morally flawed but still fundamentally decent person) -- no, the main character in Monument truly is despicable, which is a very difficult thing to pull off; but Graham does a fantastic job of it. And his plotting and world-building is top-notch. If I recall correctly this is Graham's only genre work, which is a real shame.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

House Louse posted:

2. Coetzee's Waiting for the Barbarians won the Philip K. Dick Award, which is nearly as bizarre as Gravity's Rainbow losing the Nebula to Rendezvous with Rama.

This actually makes a little bit of sense. The setting of Waiting for Barbarians is a made-up world that is supposed to stand in for any frontier town ever. Everything has a generic name - the main character is just the Magistrate. There's the Town, the Barbarians, the Empire, etc. Yet despite it just being a giant allegory, the world feels weirdly real and present. So it's actually a triumph of secondary world building.

It's also just an awesome book in general.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Smapti posted:

Yes! I second this. Monument has one of the best antiheros as a main character I've ever read. This isn't an "antihero" in scare quotes like in other genre novels (eg a gritty and morally flawed but still fundamentally decent person) -- no, the main character in Monument truly is despicable, which is a very difficult thing to pull off; but Graham does a fantastic job of it. And his plotting and world-building is top-notch. If I recall correctly this is Graham's only genre work, which is a real shame.

Monument is out of print and unavailable in ebook but it looks terrific so I just bought the paperback used and I can't wait to see it. My kind of hero! Since Joe Amercrombie (First Law) and Richard K. Morgan (Land Fit For Heros) are very slow writers, this will help fill the gap in my bad guy as good guy reading needs.

I recently read this entire series back to back and it was a wonderful experience. The series is sometimes called Traction Cities, sometimes Predator Series and sometimes Mortal Engine Series depending on which country it was published in. This is the chronological order, not the publication order.

Fever Crumb
A Web Of Air
Scrivener's Moon
Mortal Engines
Predator's Gold
Infernal Devices
A Darkling Plain

It's technically YA but that just means no sex scenes. Otherwise, it's vey adult. I think it starts out about 1000 years after the big war that destroys America and much of the rest of the world in the first 3 books and then skips forward about another 1000 years for the four others. It does come to a final conclusion - and I do mean final. The author is Philip Reeve. I thought it was outstanding.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Slavvy posted:

Additionally, what are some cool books about colonisation? I've only read a few novels on the subject, most of which I can't remember right now besides Niven's Destiny's Road.
Allen Steele's "Coyote" series may be up your alley, I rather enjoyed them.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
I finished reading Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey (I've been various sci-fi classics by different authors) and I loved it, I thought the descriptions of the vastness of space were simultaneously beautiful and unsettling. I was wondering if the any of the sequels are worth reading (I'm perplexed as to how there could be sequels in the first place) and if not, what other sci-fi books have a similar tone?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Guy A. Person posted:

Series (just for reference): Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire

Single books: The Princess Bride, A Bridge of Birds, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell, American Gods, Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon, The Once and Future King. I also really enjoyed Kelly Link's short story collections, they are kind of modern feminist fairy tale/fantasy.

Hello! For you, I will strongly recommend Joe Abercrombie's books. The First Law trilogy begins with The Blade Itself and he has three standalones. If you're dead set on a standalone, I would say that The Heroes would be the best one to read if you haven't read the main trilogy. I love this man's books, I wish there were twenty other authors that could scratch the itch like his writing does.

In the vein of Gentlemen of the Road, which actually I suppose would technically be historical fiction, check out The Hero of Rome by Douglas Jackson or Soldier of the Mist by Gene Wolfe, both of which you can see that I recently read (see below for slightly more info). I can also strongly recommend Patrick O'Brian novels that can be found in the OP. If you want more in this vein please ask because I read a lot of historical fiction.

I think you would also really like Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains and Catherynne Valente's The Orphan's Tales. Also, give a little novel called The Emperor's Knife by Mazarkis Williams a try, I think it might be up your alley. One more: try the short stories of Paolo Bacigalupi in Pump Six and Other Stories.

If those don't do it for you tell us why and we'll endeavor to help you further!

Symptomless Coma posted:

After listening to this fantastic interview from 1989 in which he narrates a kind of sci-fi of the present, I think I have a writerly crush on JG Ballard. Those that have read him - where should I start?

The Drowned World is a usual spot to begin and I very much recommend it. Ahead of its time, and I love Ballard's tone. His short stories are fantastic as well so any collection of those is worth checking out.

AlternatePFG posted:

I finished reading Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey (I've been various sci-fi classics by different authors) and I loved it, I thought the descriptions of the vastness of space were simultaneously beautiful and unsettling. I was wondering if the any of the sequels are worth reading (I'm perplexed as to how there could be sequels in the first place) and if not, what other sci-fi books have a similar tone?

Maybe try Mieville's Embassytown, a similarly detached, semi-eerie tone. Also, I really loved Finch by Jeff VanderMeer, not overly sci-fi as such but has a great tone. I could be way off the mark here though as I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for.

quote:

Allen Steele's "Coyote" series may be up your alley, I rather enjoyed them.

Are these actually good? I got one for 25 cents at my local deli and I'm wondering whether to dive in.

As for what I've been heavily enjoying:

Hero of Rome by Douglas Jackson is technically historical fiction (I would call it historical fantasy, which is kind of an oxymoron but whatever!) but its got most of what I need for my fantasy. To boot, its really tightly written and has two sequels. Its historically accurate enough for my tastes and really is above and beyond most Roman historical fiction.

I've been absolutely LOVING Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon. I've seen it recommended all over the place but for some reason never actually got deep into it until now. Its super awesome gritty science fiction/detective/action and there are two more books in the Takeshi Kovacs series. I loved Morgan's gay dragonslayer Ringil Eskiath so I guess its not surprise I love Takeshi as well.

I finished Soldier of the Mist by Gene Wolfe and although this book slogged at times it is wonderfully inventive and a real page turner compared to much of Wolfe's other stuff. Involves a warrior in the ancient Mediterranean with an amnesia head injury and frequent godly visitations.

I'm going pretty slow but I'm almost finally through Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, who has never written anything I will not read. Not even close to as fun as the MaddAdam series (Oryx and Crake, Year of the Flood, both of which I always recommend strongly), but a very interesting and eerie look at a future USA ruled by a Christian anti-intellectual autocracy.

Finally, due to the OP of this thread I read Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian and had a totally great time. The language is completely and unflinchingly period-referenced which I found really fun. If anyone wants to have a shot at these books, I found my enjoyment tripled by occasionally referencing a nautical dictionary. That is, during the descriptions early in the book of the boat and the sea battles and other boats, etc., take the time to look up the words and figure out exactly what they refer to. Usually I would not do that reading a book but in this case it made it much more enjoyable to have a really clear picture of what's going on (LOTS of period sailing terminology is by necessity employed).

Play fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 19, 2013

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

AlternatePFG posted:

The sequels are... odd. Most of them except 3001 are perfectly fine books, but none of them live up to 2001 since they just end up explaining issues from 2001 and never can offer much satisfying on their own. They're light reading, so it's not that big of a task, but there's better.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I've read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson some time ago, loved it, and have wanted to get further into his work since, but I was scared by the constant references to his libertarian (and even randian) views on the Internet. Don't really want to take on a brick novel only to discover a sci-fi version of Sword of Truth - what are his less insufferable books in that regard?

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

fatherboxx posted:

I've read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson some time ago, loved it, and have wanted to get further into his work since, but I was scared by the constant references to his libertarian (and even randian) views on the Internet. Don't really want to take on a brick novel only to discover a sci-fi version of Sword of Truth - what are his less insufferable books in that regard?

Anathem is a great book in this regard. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's about a world where secular monks called the avout study science in seclusion from the outside world, sometimes for millenia at a time. It's daunting on the outset, but it's an exciting book that actually made me want to go study some algebra. I didn't really pick up on a political agenda, aside from 'science good!'.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

specklebang posted:

Monument is out of print and unavailable in ebook but it looks terrific so I just bought the paperback used and I can't wait to see it. My kind of hero! Since Joe Amercrombie (First Law) and Richard K. Morgan (Land Fit For Heros) are very slow writers, this will help fill the gap in my bad guy as good guy reading needs.

Joe Abercrombie is a very fast writer. I don't think Morgan is particularly slow either - the Kovacs novels came out over a 3-4 year period, for example.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

AlternatePFG posted:

Some of them are really lame. I can't remember which one, but the big awesome reveal (the book acts like it is awesome but it is exceptionally boring) of it is that A planet is a giant diamond.

I did not like Anathem. I am avoiding that author from now on. It is a very long book that starts out slow and has a second act that feels like a different book. Nothing is very satisfying and it has a twist that will make you roll your eyes. There is a lot of tedious poo poo where the author reinvents Socrates, Plato and the cave metaphor. When I say "re-invent" I actually mean "gives a new name to every aspect of Platonic thought but doesn't change any of the elements."

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 19, 2013

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

systran posted:

I did not like Anathem. I am avoiding that author from now on. It is a very long book that starts out slow and which has a second act that feels like a different book. Nothing is very satisfying and it has a twist that will make you roll your eyes. There is a lot of tedious poo poo where the author reinvents Socrates, Plato and the cave metaphor. When I say "re-invent" I actually mean "gives a new name to every aspect of Platonic thought but doesn't change any of the elements."

Could not disagree with this more. Everything in the second act is set up in the first. The book does change, but essentially is speeds up and adds thriller elements, which I thought were great. I found the whole book extremely satisfying. There is no 're-inventing.' It's explicitly supposed to be the same thing with different names--that's actually a big point of the book.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

It's all set up, but it basically has two narrative arcs.

For just giving everything a new name, the author still makes sure to spend 500 pages explaining those concepts that you learned in intro to Philosophy (but now with different names).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Play posted:

Are these actually good? I got one for 25 cents at my local deli and I'm wondering whether to dive in.

As for what I've been heavily enjoying:
\
The first is almost a YA space colonization of Mars (with the ensuing sketchy landing problems, disaster responses, exploration of the planet, frontier political intrigue, etc) and the rest deal a lot more heavily with dealing with the rest of humanity when later generations make the 200 year slower-than-light journey to the planet (which was originally colonized by people who hijacked the ship due to political discontent.)

I wouldn't recommend reading them out of order but if that sounds interesting, that's what you'll be getting.

systran posted:

I did not like Anathem. I am avoiding that author from now on. It is a very long book that starts out slow and has a second act that feels like a different book. Nothing is very satisfying and it has a twist that will make you roll your eyes. There is a lot of tedious poo poo where the author reinvents Socrates, Plato and the cave metaphor. When I say "re-invent" I actually mean "gives a new name to every aspect of Platonic thought but doesn't change any of the elements."
Let me introduce you to Neal Stephenson, who regularly goes off on pages-long tangents about middle level mathematics and physics and philosophy. He just usually doesn't invent a pseudo language to do so.

Without the hoopy frood slang in Anathem, it probably would have been half as long and half as interesting.

And I could not stand Soldier of the Mist, the premise made it kind of unreadable to me, it got super old with everything beginning "I have lost my memory so I'm writing this poo poo down in my journal so I will remember", and I put it down after 100 or 150 pages. I personally felt that the entire amnesia and journal was a terrible, terrible narrative crutch.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 19, 2013

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

systran posted:

When I say "re-invent" I actually mean "gives a new name to every aspect of Platonic thought but doesn't change any of the elements."

As others have said, that's kinda the point of the whole book. You realise it is supposed to take place one parallel Earth, with a seemingly completely different cultural development?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

You might want to spoiler tag that. Yes, I read the book and I understood it, yet I don't think explaining Occam's Razor from the ground up and giving it a new name makes for engaging reading or good storytelling.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I was also underwhelmed by Anathem. I liked seeing the Avout and how they lived in the first half, but the second half mostly left me cold, and the philosophy just wasn't all that interesting. The replications were familiar and the speculation was unconvincing.

I enjoyed it overall, but I wasn't blown away.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Peel posted:

I was also underwhelmed by Anathem. I liked seeing the Avout and how they lived in the first half, but the second half mostly left me cold, and the philosophy just wasn't all that interesting. The replications were familiar and the speculation was unconvincing.

I enjoyed it overall, but I wasn't blown away.
This, entirely for me. I lost interest once they were off-roading around the landscape, and forgot to pick it up again. The monk stuff was fun.

I guess I am used to Stephenson rehashing stuff that your average :spergin: learned about in middle or high school, and just consider it part f his style - like Douglas Adams' tangents on space fish, bad alien poetry. and zoning permits in locked cabinets in disused bathrooms with signs posted reading "Beware of leopard".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

systran posted:

Some of them are really lame. I can't remember which one, but the big awesome reveal (the book acts like it is awesome but it is exceptionally boring) of it is that A planet is a giant diamond.

It's 2061: Odyssey Three, and it's actually talking about the theory that Jupiter's core is a giant diamond. This is interesting science, but it is in no way "the big reveal". That's what happens when Heywood Floyd joins Dave Bowman and HAL in the Monolith.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

coyo7e posted:

I guess I am used to Stephenson rehashing stuff that your average :spergin: learned about in middle or high school, and just consider it part f his style

I don't remember how it scores on the political agenda scale, but I really like the Cryptonomicon - it's just a fun actiony techno-thriller romp through Asia complete with an insane D&D :spergin:.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Neurosis posted:

Joe Abercrombie is a very fast writer. I don't think Morgan is particularly slow either - the Kovacs novels came out over a 3-4 year period, for example.

Slow and Fast are subjective terms. I wasn't derogatory, just how it seems to me. Here are 4 of my favorite authors:
Morgan - Since Altered Carbon 2002, 7 more books.
Abercrombie - Since The Blade Itself 2004, 5 more books
John Locke - Since Lethal People 2010, 17 more books
Hugh Howey - Since Wool 2010, 22 more books

So I suppose it's all relative....

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Play posted:

One more: try the short stories of Paolo Bacigalupi in Pump Six and Other Stories.

If those don't do it for you tell us why and we'll endeavor to help you further!

I already read Pump Six and loved it, so it sounds like we have similar tastes. Like I said I tend to switch up a lot so it will take a while before I get through all of these recommendations but I will be sure to update what I liked/didn't like when I get to them. Also thanks to andrew smash, Azathoth, House Louse, and savinhill for the recommendations, these should tide me over for awhile!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Guy A. Person posted:

I already read Pump Six and loved it, so it sounds like we have similar tastes. Like I said I tend to switch up a lot so it will take a while before I get through all of these recommendations but I will be sure to update what I liked/didn't like when I get to them. Also thanks to andrew smash, Azathoth, House Louse, and savinhill for the recommendations, these should tide me over for awhile!

Great! If you want more Paolo Bacigalupi, one of my favorites by him was Shipbreakers and its sorta-sequel The Drowned Cities was pretty decent too, assuming you haven't already read them. If I were you I'd definitely start with Abercrombie, his stuff is revered around here for good reason, its damned fun.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

rvm posted:

Great job with the OP, but I found an error:

Cosmic Horror and Weird Tales

Eh, it points to the right thread, who cares.

fatherboxx posted:

Not something you need to worry about. They're vaguely there but usually being satirised at the same time (Snow Crash, the modern-day plot in Cryptonomicon). I can't speak for his newer books though. Incidentally, a cool thing I learned from the GBS "fire up old computers" thread is that Cap'n Crunch used to give away free whistles that imitated a dialling tone (or something like), so phreakers would use them to trick the network into thinking they'd hung up.

ultrachrist posted:

This actually makes a little bit of sense. The setting of Waiting for Barbarians is a made-up world that is supposed to stand in for any frontier town ever. Everything has a generic name - the main character is just the Magistrate. There's the Town, the Barbarians, the Empire, etc. Yet despite it just being a giant allegory, the world feels weirdly real and present. So it's actually a triumph of secondary world building.

It's also just an awesome book in general.

I was getting at it being cool that the Dick judges/voters took notice of something so different; it speaks well of them. I wouldn't comment on it myself, I've only read Life and Times of Michael K. which is also awesome.

specklebang posted:

Slow and Fast are subjective terms. I wasn't derogatory, just how it seems to me. Here are 4 of my favorite authors:
Morgan - Since Altered Carbon 2002, 7 more books.
Abercrombie - Since The Blade Itself 2004, 5 more books
John Locke - Since Lethal People 2010, 17 more books
Hugh Howey - Since Wool 2010, 22 more books

So I suppose it's all relative....

A book every year or two is an average speed, though.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Hugh howey flipped his poo poo and spouted off some pretty misogynistic stuff at a reporter that rubbed him the wrong way a while back and since then I've been unwilling to buy any more of his books, despite the fact that I thought wool was pretty okay. He just seems like a total slimebag now. It's too bad really.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

andrew smash posted:

Hugh howey flipped his poo poo and spouted off some pretty misogynistic stuff at a reporter that rubbed him the wrong way a while back and since then I've been unwilling to buy any more of his books, despite the fact that I thought wool was pretty okay. He just seems like a total slimebag now. It's too bad really.

Maybe so but if you look at his other actions, I find him to be one of the kindest people around. Are any of us perfect? This guy has encouraged more new writers than any other author I've ever heard of.

I've said worse http://www.salon.com/2013/04/15/self_publishing_star_faces_backlash_for_misogynist_rant_partner/ in a moment of anger.

specklebang fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 20, 2013

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
This needed a new thread? :psyduck: Okay.

In the previous thread someone mentioned a fantasy book in which royalty ruling due to divine grace gets wiped out in a revolution. Things turn sour cause the divinity thing was true. It sounded interesting, what's the name of the book?

Another question: I liked Reynolds' novel Pushing Ice a lot. Any similar sf books about people trying to colonize or survive on a comet/lifeless rock in space?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Rurik posted:

In the previous thread someone mentioned a fantasy book in which royalty ruling due to divine grace gets wiped out in a revolution. Things turn sour cause the divinity thing was true. It sounded interesting, what's the name of the book?

Another question: I liked Reynolds' novel Pushing Ice a lot. Any similar sf books about people trying to colonize or survive on a comet/lifeless rock in space?
I know it's not the book you're talking about, but the plot sounds pretty similar to the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. The villain (the evil "Lord Ruler") turns out to have reasons and motivations for his actions that aren't entirely obvious and actually kinda justified.

Also, I wish they'd release a Kindle version of Pushing Ice. All of his other books are out on Kindle so I don't know why that one isn't!

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Rurik posted:

That was Promise of Blood, by Brian McClellan.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

syphon posted:

Also, I wish they'd release a Kindle version of Pushing Ice. All of his other books are out on Kindle so I don't know why that one isn't!

Huh? It's available on both the US and the UK Kindle store.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Joramun posted:

Huh? It's available on both the US and the UK Kindle store.
Are we looking at the same book?

http://www.amazon.com/Pushing-Ice-Alastair-Reynolds/dp/0441015026

(Kindle is not listed in the available Formats, and there's the "I'd like this book on the Kindle" link on the right side)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

It lists the Kindle edition as the top option for me. There's something weird going on with your Amazon account, try logging out and see if it does show up for you then.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Sure you're not looking at amazon.ca or amazon.co.uk? Frustratingly, both of those locales have a Kindle edition for sale, but it isn't listed on amazon.com. I tried logging out/in and then a whole new browser. Nothin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No, I'm on .com and it shows up as "Kindle edition: $7.69" (see screenshot below for proof). It's pretty strange that it doesn't show up for you even when you're logged out, usually that fixes it.

ETA: If you can see it on the .ca or .uk sites, you can just temporarily switch over to one of those and buy it there. I do so occasionally as well when a Kindle book is only available (or cheaper) there.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 20, 2013