Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The elf's arms are way too short for her body, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Why are most of the characters named after their class but the Dwarf and Elf are just named what they are? Elf isn't a class.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Overbite posted:

Why are most of the characters named after their class but the Dwarf and Elf are just named what they are? Elf isn't a class.

They used to be!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Overbite posted:

Wikipedia on Elf (Dungeons & Dragons) posted:

Dungeons & Dragons (1974–1976)

The elf first appeared as a player character class in the original 1974 edition of Dungeons & Dragons.[2][3] The aquatic elf was introduced in the 1975 Blackmoor supplement.[4]

Gary Gygax claims D&D elves draw very little from Tolkien.[5] Elves in D&D are immune to paralysis as a holdover from a game balance adjustment in Chainmail.[6]

Early D&D was weird. It explains why Elf & Dwarf were also classes in the old D&D Capcom games.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for this game. Love the old Capcom DnD games.

Do we know what languages the JP version will have? I think I've been a bit lucky in that all of the Korean/JP versions of games that I've been buying have been in English with just a Korean manual.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
The Archer's riding pose looks a little spine-breaking. Is she arching her back forward?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Veyrall posted:

The Archer's riding pose looks a little spine-breaking. Is she arching her back forward?

She's thrusting her chest out, yeah. The devs saw an opportunity to sexify her, and they took it, I guess.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I got crazy enough about this game that I listened to voice samples for the classes on both versions of Atlus's website. Now I'm interested in who did the English voices since the Japanese cast's been posted around a few places already.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

gannyGrabber posted:

She's thrusting her chest out, yeah. The devs saw an opportunity to sexify her, and they took it, I guess.

Hilarious considering she's flat. The pose actually makes her hips/butt look bigger.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you stopped looking for sex everywhere you could see that she's drawn as a young girl trying to look from high up. Look at every anime with a girl riding a bicycle while standing pedaling

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

If you stopped looking for sex everywhere you could see that she's drawn as a young girl trying to look from high up. Look at every anime with a girl riding a bicycle while standing pedaling

The archer definitely doesn't look too oversexualized, but it's not really fair to accuse anyone of "looking for sex everywhere" if they're suspicious about a character drawn side-by-side with the sorc and amazon.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
If there's loot grinding and a good multiplayer-fueled (through crawling, not trading) progression path I'll be in on this day one. Is there some info I've missed that details the game's mechanics? All I find are articles about the art. People need to address the real issues facing modern gaming, like can I make my staff a staff +1?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Fauxtool posted:

I'm not even looking for sexy or anything! I'm just saying that pose looks really uncomfortable. Seriously, try to arch your back like that while straddling something. Maybe I'm just a stiff goon (90% likely), but I think the Archer's pose is a little weird, anatomically speaking.

Not that that's gonna stop me getting the game, mind you.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
On the subject of character designs I'd compare it to Team Fortress 2 where every class has distinct silhouettes so that they can be differentiated easily. If every class looked "normal" you wouldn't be able to instantly recognize them like you can now. I think the exaggerated designs serve a practical purpose, not to serve fetishists or be sexist or anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

macfam posted:

On the subject of character designs I'd compare it to Team Fortress 2 where every class has distinct silhouettes so that they can be differentiated easily. If every class looked "normal" you wouldn't be able to instantly recognize them like you can now. I think the exaggerated designs serve a practical purpose, not to serve fetishists or be sexist or anything.

Except when people complained it about, the person behind the artwork made fun of them by claiming they were gay if they didn't like the designs. (Which also had the fun side effect of implying that being gay is bad.) This is pretty clearly not a case where it's about distinctive silhouettes. He later apologized for it but you generally don't go "ha ha, you must be gay if you don't like this design' if you're not intending it in a pretty specific way.

Also the idea that your only choices are the Sorceress or every character looks identical is a bit ridiculous. The D&D arcade games seemed to do pretty well with a mostly generic anime designs and if there's one thing we know Vanillaware can do, it's distinctive designs. Hell, most of the designs in Dragon's Crown are distinctive in a really cool way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 24, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I honestly like the amazon's design because I look at it, whether this is intended or not, as a kind of counter to the typical "Well male characters are idealized, too!" argument. She's pretty much "No, this is actually what you would get if you mirrored the idealization of a typical male character design onto a typical female character design."

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 24, 2013

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Edit: double post

waffle fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 24, 2013

speng31b
May 8, 2010

macfam posted:

That's about as good a way as any to retroactivate meaning into some pretty grossly sexist designs, but sure, why not?

speng31b fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 24, 2013

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Honestly I'm glad the gameplay looks way more slow paced and boring than I expected from the e3 videos which means I'm not torn by the controversial art anymore, I'm just straight up uninterested

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Also, you can get distinctive silhouettes without giving a female character tits the size of her head. That hat alone is more than distinctive enough.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

How about we talk about stuff we like about the art? I like how the Dwarf pumps his arms back and forth in his walk animation, like he wants to keep in shape in case a bunch of monsters unexpectedly pop out. And also how he looks like The Thing when he's idle.

waffle posted:

Honestly I'm glad the gameplay looks way more slow paced and boring than I expected from the e3 videos which means I'm not torn by the controversial art anymore, I'm just straight up uninterested

Which videos are you talking about?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Veyrall posted:

I'm not even looking for sexy or anything! I'm just saying that pose looks really uncomfortable. Seriously, try to arch your back like that while straddling something. Maybe I'm just a stiff goon (90% likely), but I think the Archer's pose is a little weird, anatomically speaking.

Not that that's gonna stop me getting the game, mind you.

The animation looks a little awkward, but you are supposed to arch you back a little when riding "properly" so you can keep your posture as straight as possible. Then again, I've never ridden a raptor before.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ahhpple posted:

How about we talk about stuff we like about the art? I like how the Dwarf pumps his arms back and forth in his walk animation, like he wants to keep in shape in case a bunch of monsters unexpectedly pop out. And also how he looks like The Thing when he's idle.

You mean how he gets all Stone Skin when he's standing still? That's pretty cool, and I wonder how it looks like on the alternate skin.

(EDIT) To demonstrate:

source is a dude from the PA forums thread

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 24, 2013

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

I am excited for little pointy shoes

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Is Odin Sphere still worth playing? I see a ton of awards for it's graphics but does it do anything else particularly well? Is there lots of melodrama like some of the FF and Tales Of games?

Oh and can we please discuss the game and shut the gently caress up about how offended we are?

Keeshhound posted:

Also, you can get distinctive silhouettes without giving a female character tits the size of her head. That hat alone is more than distinctive enough.
There are women with large breasts. They exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rizuhbull posted:

Is Odin Sphere still worth playing? I see a ton of awards for it's graphics but does it do anything else particularly well? Is there lots of melodrama like some of the FF and Tales Of games?

Eh. Not really. It's a very very repetitive and grindy game. You're going to be going through the same areas, fighting the same bosses, and effectively doing the same thing over and over again, and even the basic gameplay tends to encourage slow grinding. It's like one good game spread out to create 4-5 mediocre stories instead.

The plot also isn't very good. There are some fun bits but the love story is absolutely awful, one of the worst I've ever seen in a game, and it gets enough play you can't really ignore it.

It's not a terrible game or anything but I'd say it's probably the weakest of their games when it comes to gameplay and Vanillaware games aren't exactly praised for that in the first place.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 29, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

rizuhbull posted:

Odin Sphere is a real mixed bag. The game looks gorgeous and it's got some real fun action RPG stuff going for it, on top of having a really fairy tale-esque kind of story, but there's some problems involving the enemies, the alchemy system, and mainly a lot of stuff involving the end of the game. If you can buy the PS2 Classics version then you should give it a try, as that version is actually the European release with the fixed slowdown. I really enjoyed it but there are some who might not want a Vanillaware fairy tale.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'd actually say play Odin Sphere on Pcsx2.

Savestates, and hacks make the game much less painful. And it runs smooth on even average PCs. Meanwhile the Ps2 version chugs outside of a few specific versions, and the gameplay has a few issues.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I still think Princess Crown on the Saturn and Grand Knight's History on the PSP are their best games overall (OF COURSE neither got released outside Japan :( ). The art especially I think does the "D&D but in goofy caricature" thing much more effectively than what we see in Dragon's Crown. Dragon's Crown seems like it will be better than Odin Sphere and Muramasa overall though so I can't wait. Muramasa especially, man I wanted to love that game but so much travel through huge empty areas ugh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I still think Princess Crown on the Saturn and Grand Knight's History on the PSP are their best games overall (OF COURSE neither got released outside Japan :( ). The art especially I think does the "D&D but in goofy caricature" thing much more effectively than what we see in Dragon's Crown. Dragon's Crown seems like it will be better than Odin Sphere and Muramasa overall though so I can't wait. Muramasa especially, man I wanted to love that game but so much travel through huge empty areas ugh.

Yeah, Princess Crown is I think the best one they've done in that sort of style. I was really disappointed in Odin Sphere because I was expecting something at least as good as that. Princess Crown isn't like my favorite ever but I think it's the best one Vanillaware has done.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Too bad we'll never get any kind of HD revision of it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Odin Sphere is amazing in my opinion. Just play on easy, abuse phozon release for weapon levels, and save your money for large bags. Also, don't buy things with those coins that you use in the cafe (youll need to look that up because I'm on my phone).

You do replay a lot of the same areas but there's always new twists and each character is different enough that it didn't get stale for me. The story is RPG good which means its generally just ok. The only thing that bogs the game down in my opinion is item management. You really need to keep your poo poo organized and starting each character with only 2 bags sucks.

The psn version is pretty good and had none of the slowdown issues the original had. It's my favorite vanilla ware game to date and while it didn't click with some people, I recommend it.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
One of the things that really annoyed me about Odin Sphere aside from the lovely POW meter was how they handled attack spells and items. Here you have some useful spells and whatnot that would help in battle but you better stay the gently caress away from them once you use them or you'll practically die instantly.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
On the topic of the game itself, Vanillaware hasn't put out anything remotely resembling a good game in their existence so I can't say I'd expect much from this, but has there been any indication of something that makes this actually worth playing more then Chronicles of Mystara? I mean I like the idea of games like this but it's hard to find anything that'd make it really stand out over CoM other then the grotesque art.

More RPGish and an extra character?

rizuhbull posted:

Oh and can we please discuss the game and shut the gently caress up about how offended we are?
There are women with large breasts. They exist.

Well, because you brought it up..

How many women have you seen with boobs that big? You can argue styleization all you want but at the end of the day it wasn't needed.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Anatharon posted:

but has there been any indication of something that makes this actually worth playing more then Chronicles of Mystara?

The gameplay videos make the melee characters look ridiculously fast and complex compared to Mystara. I love SoM myself, bought the collection on PSN almost immediately, but there's plenty of indication that Dragon's Crown is a more complex and detailed game outside of animating the buttocks of the Amazon in a way that gets the Social Justice Warriors out seeking blood. I get that people have their nostalgia boners hardening up because Mystara got its rerelease at long last, but there is NOTHING in the DnD games that has the same sense of speed or combo creativity shown so far in Dragon's Crown for either the Amazon or Elf.

I mean seriously, actually watch what the characters are doing during the character profile videos. The fact that this game is four players while allowing for some ridiculously creative poo poo is pretty cool. I'm more reminded of the Alien vs Predator beat'em up than I am DnD (which has me more excited because AvP was a better game than both of the DnD games. Yeah, I went there.) The gameplay looks like a cross between AvP's pace for some characters, while others feel closer to the DnD games, and with luck there will not be characters who suffer from some pretty extreme disadvantages while trying to play Solo. I'm looking at loving YOU, Mystara's Magic User. I get that he can be insanely powerful, but he wasn't very fun to learn to properly play as in the arcade, and I don't want to even bother with him today despite having infinite continues.

Dragon's Crown will also probably last longer than an hour on a single playthrough, while lending a greater sense of persistence to your character than what we get in the DnD titles (which to be fair, is the result of a deliberate design. I don't think Capcom expected anyone to beat those games in arcades without spending a lot of money first).

So yes, I think there are reasons why Dragon's Crown will be worth playing over a budget rerelease of old games I still enjoy to this day.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 29, 2013

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
Dragon's Crown: The Sorceress' Boobs Have Their Own HP

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh wow, just notice this thread today, I was thinking of making an OP for this but decided it against, the first 3 pages of this thread pretty much confirm my suspicions of how it was going to go.

Anyway, I'm pretty hyped, D&D is pretty awesome and this looks amazing, hopefully it sells a lot, the beat em up genre is sorely lacking these past few years.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I am so gonna buy this when it comes out. I loved Odin Sphere, and I imagine I'll love this.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

rizuhbull posted:

I'll side with Good Citizen here and say that Odin Sphere is definitely worth playing. In fact, as evidenced by the Capcom D&D games' influence on Kamitani's works, I'd call it a single-player take on them. This isn't always necessarily good since ToD/SoM have some not-so-obvious and clunky mechanics in play, and OS also follows in this tradition with various systems (alchemy, POW meter, currency for example) and enemies like Oozes, but I think the game does enough with each character's combat styles and stories that it's worth experiencing.

In regards to the story: I don't like soap-opera-esque stuff and OS is chock-full of it, but for some reason I really enjoyed the story and consider it one of the biggest draws of the game. The framing device of the whole game is that all the character stories are part of a set of novels being read by a child, and combined with the fairy-tale aesthetic, faux-Shakespearean translation, and the influence of various mythologies (particularly Norse, natch), it was definitely something that drew me in and kept me going even if the rest of the game was perfect.

I suppose if you were using the FF series as a metric, I would say they're more of the Ivalice games like FF12 or the Tactics remake. There's melodrama, but it's of a different sort than you would associate with Cloud or Squall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
For Odin sphere, play through Gwendolyn's story, then just quit while you're ahead. The characters get progressively shittier and gimmicky from her on.

• Locked thread