Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
A challenge, for my Dwarf? Nonsense. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
We will be streaming in the new content in about 45 mins!

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I absolutely love what they did with this patch. The skeletons and golems are actually good now since they made them super aggressive and any damage you do will heal them. Using an ice rod made my skeletons nigh immortal with the tornado. Being able to throw your weapon for ranged power smashes is really fun too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Marogareh posted:

I absolutely love what they did with this patch. The skeletons and golems are actually good now since they made them super aggressive and any damage you do will heal them. Using an ice rod made my skeletons nigh immortal with the tornado. Being able to throw your weapon for ranged power smashes is really fun too.

So I''m guessing alot got changed under "Adjusted skill effects and actions for each class". Any specifics of what got changed around? Also what does "Silhouettes can now be displayed on the foreground to improve visibility" mean?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The silhouettes thing is that now you can see your character through enemies that are blocking your character or at least that's what it looks like. The fighter looks unchanged from what I've played aside from the power smash throwing. The amazon has her brandish speed back from how it originally was once she hits berserk level 3. Create food from the sorceress now generates weapons, bones and arrows. Her skeletons are way better and you can heal them by damaging enemies or eating food. The wizard's wood golem is super aggressive and you can also heal it just like the sorceress.

I haven't tried dwarf and elf yet but apparently they nerfed how the elf gets arrows on bosses to a retarded degree. Bosses don't drop them so you'll need to hit the minions for them to pop up or just get yourself killed to restock. There's a bow that gives new attacks, evasive maneuvers to the mounts but I haven't gotten it yet and a bunch of good/gimmicky effects like an explosive dash attack.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 21, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Does the silhouette thing make your character more visible through spell effects because that's what I'd really like.

Also thanks for the info!

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
The crossbows have been turned into machine guns. I'm actually using them now.

Also, my Dwarf got a hammer that changes his Grand Smash lightning into an iceberg that fills most of the screen. :black101:

ProofsNRefutations
Feb 22, 2011
Oh wow, instead of only being able to slam it into the ground you can actually throw your weapon now! This patch has way more content than I was expecting. I just wish there was a list somewhere of everything they changed, like the skeletons healing when you eat food.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Does the silhouette thing make your character more visible through spell effects because that's what I'd really like.

Also thanks for the info!

It only affects enemies and I think players and not spells from what I tested.

ProofsNRefutations posted:

Oh wow, instead of only being able to slam it into the ground you can actually throw your weapon now! This patch has way more content than I was expecting. I just wish there was a list somewhere of everything they changed, like the skeletons healing when you eat food.

It looks like the reason my skeletons were healing non stop was because I had the amazon chaos pendant. Using the salubrious chaos monocle and the favored chaos pendant makes them almost unkillable. I went and tried out the Elf's beastmaster stuff and it's pretty gimmicky but fun. The sabretooth gets a triple jump, dive attack and evade equal to your evasion skill. the dragonlisk only gets the evasion and triple jump from what I saw. You can evade cancel attacks as well.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 21, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

is there any easy way to use rune magic, other than keep a spoiler open on my laptop next to me or something? I can't remember this poo poo :saddowns:

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

victrix posted:

is there any easy way to use rune magic, other than keep a spoiler open on my laptop next to me or something? I can't remember this poo poo :saddowns:

The big three that you'll be using a whole lot are TPI, DSB, and EIS. You'll be pretty golden if you memorize those.

I just wish there was a way to kill the characters of other players who move around when you're trying to click.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
yooo ultimate is no joke.

I can chain solo all 18 bosses on infernal without a problem but can't even war paint cheese through chimera; run out of money getting BS one-shotted even with super specialized equipment (lion burns the level except for one spot, that one spot is covered in snake poison or goat magic).

On the other hand, the new dungeon isn't any more difficult than the labyrinth though the gear is considerably better. I'm through 36 floors and i'm still getting new equips i've never seen.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Does anyone have any cool tips for the Ancient Dragon as a Sorceress?

Not even anything fancy, just my first playthrough on Normal. I'm Lv. 35, have Rock Press which is 100% useless, a +13% draconic staff and some damage reduction. +1 Life prayer doesn't seem to work in the dragon dimension.

Some attacks seem unavoidable like the fireballs or the criss-crossing hurricanes. Maybe I'l overlooking something?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

You

miguelito posted:

Does anyone have any cool tips for the Ancient Dragon as a Sorceress?

Not even anything fancy, just my first playthrough on Normal. I'm Lv. 35, have Rock Press which is 100% useless, a +13% draconic staff and some damage reduction. +1 Life prayer doesn't seem to work in the dragon dimension.

Some attacks seem unavoidable like the fireballs or the criss-crossing hurricanes. Maybe I'l overlooking something?

You can stop the tornados from coming out by attacking the yellow sparks that hang in the air before they start. You can also blow up fireballs before they hit the ground.

Do you not have Protection? You should. It's super good.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Yet another patch.
http://bit.ly/1asKR2A

*The conditions for changing the element of the Elemental Lore ability has been fixed.
*Certain abnormal effects cause by equipment have been corrected.
*Situations in which online players on a higher floor in some dungeons are being matched to players on a lower floor have been corrected.
*The camera behavior has been modified to provide better Views.
Other adjustments and minor improvements(?) to various gameplay elements have been made.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Gyoru posted:

Yet another patch.
http://bit.ly/1asKR2A

*The conditions for changing the element of the Elemental Lore ability has been fixed.
*Certain abnormal effects cause by equipment have been corrected.
*Situations in which online players on a higher floor in some dungeons are being matched to players on a lower floor have been corrected.
*The camera behavior has been modified to provide better Views.
Other adjustments and minor improvements(?) to various gameplay elements have been made.

I hope they increased the arrow spawning rate against bosses.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Overall the spawn rate is super increased. I rarely ran out them even by spamming clone strikes and rapid fire all over the place. I think other players can generate them since I was playing as a dwarf and they were popping out of the dudes I punched. Lore spawns them again too and they fixed the torch lore back to homing fireballs when it's on the ground. The elf is super fun again.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 5, 2014

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Marogareh posted:

Overall the spawn rate is super increased. I rarely ran out them even by spamming clone strikes and rapid fire all over the place. I think other players can generate them since I was playing as a dwarf and they were popping out of the dudes I punched. Lore spawns them again too and they fixed the torch lore back to homing fireballs when it's on the ground. The elf is super fun again.

Oh lawd, praise be to Vanillaware.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So after getting a number of characters to Hard I decided I should finish the Elf to Hard then choose who to stick with. (Yeah I'm aware I took my time with this, I kinda burned myself out)

I can manage pretty well with every character but this character and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I pump arrows into the biggest meanest thing on the map then run in flip kicking and hoping for the best and I'm fairly certain I'm doing it wrong, especially in bosses like the Harpy where I run up, jump in it's face and try to shoot it then.

Might be too late to ask but can I get some tips? I like the mobility after playing Dwarf for so long but she feels like she's made of tissues both offense and defense wise.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've used a mostly Lore/Clone Strike [volley shot] build to get through the highest difficulty, but this was before boots were buffed so I don't know if those are more viable now. Always start with arrows first, then go in to kick/cast lore to get your arrows back, then return to shooting. With crouched charge shots (hold Up and Circle at the same time) you don't have to jump up to hit something if you're under it's shadow. And with Clone Strikes, your crouched shot shoots a volley whose damage can really add up the more points you put into the skill. I've found that kicks are useful for their mobility more than the damage they deal. The Elf is almost as mobile as the Amazon if you play her right, and in some levels it's possible to get through without getting hit at all.

There's more advanced tricks involving charged shots, kicks in mid-air to cancel the post-charged shot recovery animation, and dodges, but I found I never really had to deal with that stuff. Once the Elf reaches a critical mass of arrow damage and quantity, she becomes the boss killer par excellence and she becomes remarkably easy to use.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So after getting a number of characters to Hard I decided I should finish the Elf to Hard then choose who to stick with. (Yeah I'm aware I took my time with this, I kinda burned myself out)

I can manage pretty well with every character but this character and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I pump arrows into the biggest meanest thing on the map then run in flip kicking and hoping for the best and I'm fairly certain I'm doing it wrong, especially in bosses like the Harpy where I run up, jump in it's face and try to shoot it then.

Might be too late to ask but can I get some tips? I like the mobility after playing Dwarf for so long but she feels like she's made of tissues both offense and defense wise.

Use Power Arrow, Impact Arrow, and Clone Strike, augmented with Salamander Oil/Toxic Arrow for bosses. Max out your quiver capacity. Do not use Clone Strike against non-bosses unless you're swimming in arrows. Always use the crouching Clone Strike against bosses. When you have more skill points later on, you'll want to level up Elemental Lore.

This is trickier against airborne enemies like the Harpy, but your best non-Clone Strike attack is the in-air downward charged shot. It only uses one arrow, it keeps you out of the attack range of most enemies, it pierces and hits multiple enemies if they are clumped together, and it causes Impact Arrow damage when it hits the ground. Also, once you are airborne, you can evade cancel and shoot up to five arrows before needing to land again. I haven't played in a couple of months, so I don't know the exact combo at the moment, but you can either shoot one arrow after every evade until you run out of evasions, or you can do some fancy kick-cancelling to still get to five shots without needing to evade cancel after each shot.

Use kicks only for crowd control, mobility, and arrow generation. Do not count on them for damage, ever. Do not waste any points in Deadly Boots.

Use your evades constantly. The Elf's evades have no momentum/cooldown, so pretty much all of your non-attacking movement should be through evades.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Quixzlizx posted:

Use Power Arrow, Impact Arrow, and Clone Strike, augmented with Salamander Oil/Toxic Arrow for bosses. Max out your quiver capacity. Do not use Clone Strike against non-bosses unless you're swimming in arrows. Always use the crouching Clone Strike against bosses. When you have more skill points later on, you'll want to level up Elemental Lore.

This is trickier against airborne enemies like the Harpy, but your best non-Clone Strike attack is the in-air downward charged shot. It only uses one arrow, it keeps you out of the attack range of most enemies, it pierces and hits multiple enemies if they are clumped together, and it causes Impact Arrow damage when it hits the ground. Also, once you are airborne, you can evade cancel and shoot up to five arrows before needing to land again. I haven't played in a couple of months, so I don't know the exact combo at the moment, but you can either shoot one arrow after every evade until you run out of evasions, or you can do some fancy kick-cancelling to still get to five shots without needing to evade cancel after each shot.

Use kicks only for crowd control, mobility, and arrow generation. Do not count on them for damage, ever. Do not waste any points in Deadly Boots.

Use your evades constantly. The Elf's evades have no momentum/cooldown, so pretty much all of your non-attacking movement should be through evades.

You can use a plain air kick and an up air kick for cancelling. Staying airborne really is the key for dealing with trash safely and effectively.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

People still posting about this game? How's the online player base? If I decided I wanted to get a couple rounds later on this week would I be sitting in a game forever waiting on people to join?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

waah posted:

People still posting about this game? How's the online player base? If I decided I wanted to get a couple rounds later on this week would I be sitting in a game forever waiting on people to join?

I just got it yesterday, I'm on Vita, friend me 'silkhorn'. I have an elf. (I know nothing about the playerbase)

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

There is a lot of good information in this thread, archives are broken, and EU psn players just got this on PS+ so it's likely to have a lot of new players. Giving this a friendly post for those players.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I started playing yesterday, actually. It's pretty fun but a bit mindless so far. I would have preferred longer stages and less running back and forth in the city. Before I played I couldn't decide on which character to use, but when I actually got to the selection screen there was no contest - dwarf all the way.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004

Renoistic posted:

I started playing yesterday, actually. It's pretty fun but a bit mindless so far. I would have preferred longer stages and less running back and forth in the city. Before I played I couldn't decide on which character to use, but when I actually got to the selection screen there was no contest - dwarf all the way.

That running back and forth in town, talking to npcs and advancing the story nonsense goes away once you beat each stage once. You're stuck in a glorified tutorial right now as the game slowly eases you into each gameplay concept and level layout.

Once you're done though, the experience really opens up. Going through the gate outside of town will thereafter drop you into a random stage, which will now have 2 branching paths leading to 2 separate bosses. If you manage to survive you'll be given the option to continue to the next stage in order with only the supplies you have left, and a myriad of bonuses to sweeten the deal.

The game becomes about chaining dungeons together for as long as you're able, with zero interruptions for story or errand running in town. It is at this point that addiction truly sets in.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Renoistic posted:

The eternal question is why people want to play any class besides the Dwarf.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Is there a good way to kill the hanging cage crossbow goblins without the swinging baskets knocking me about?

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Fat Marilyn Manson posted:

Is there a good way to kill the hanging cage crossbow goblins without the swinging baskets knocking me about?

Not really. Just tap at 'em until the goblins keel over. Try to resist doing rapid or super-powerful attacks.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, according to this, Dragon's Crown has topped 940k copies sold world wide across both platforms. Not bad for a 2d side scrolling beat-em-up that was sold at full price.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

It helps that the game was both beautiful and actually fun for a while.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

The eternal question is why people want to play any class besides the Dwarf.

Dwarf is best. Elf is fun to play, but weak. Amazon owns bones and does a butt-bounce. Sorc has buggunz. Warrior for noobies. Wizard...not really.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Playing as elf. Currently level 32. Having trouble killing wraith, gargoyle gate, red dragon and possibly some other boss. This is some bullshit. As soon as I light a goddess candle on the wraith boss I get tag-teamed by about 10 zombies/skeletons. While I lie on the ground the statue is destroyed.

Any advice? Also, is it possible to respec? is this particularly active at any time of day?

Ace of Knaves
May 8, 2009

redreader posted:

Playing as elf. Currently level 32. Having trouble killing wraith, gargoyle gate, red dragon and possibly some other boss. This is some bullshit. As soon as I light a goddess candle on the wraith boss I get tag-teamed by about 10 zombies/skeletons. While I lie on the ground the statue is destroyed.

Any advice? Also, is it possible to respec? is this particularly active at any time of day?

The elf is probably my second least-used character, so if somebody else has better advice, I'd follow that.

With the Wraith, I'd stick with as many fire-based attacks as you can. If you have Salamander Oil, use it. One of the elf's attacks shoots a number of arrows into the air, and when they hit the ground (if you used the Oil), will start a good sized fire. I think the move is Hold O and aim up. Also, if you have the elf specced to use magic, standing by the Goddess Candle may allow you to shoot fireballs, which may give you some breathing room when it comes to the zombies.

The Gate can't really be attacked directly, so your best bet is to neutralize the enemies that come from it, in order to utilize the cannon. The little black & red goblins will drop cannonballs when they die, and others carry torches. Three shots with the cannon should be enough to put a huge dent in the Gate. It can get pretty hectic during that fight, so moving the cannonballs/torch to the bottom of the screen can help you keep track of them until the cannon is ready.

Dragons are strong against fire, so that rules out Salamander Oil. Toxic Oil should be good here. I don't know if you'd have better luck with bow attacks, or Holdout Dagger (if you have it). Either way, the Dragon hits like a truck, so hit-and-run attacks are the way to go. The elf is nimble as hell, so dodge like crazy, and be careful you don't end up standing in flames. Also, if you bring AI characters, bring Fighters. They seem to be more durable in that fight. Personally, I find that the AI characters are more of a liability, but they can be decent meat shields.

Yep, you can respec once you beat level 3/6/9 of the Labyrinth of Chaos. You'll get a Potion of Amnesia. It allows you to respec all your points aside from "Deep Pockets".

Ace of Knaves fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 18, 2014

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Try getting and mp game going to make thee boss fights really easy. Also upgrade your dodge and try shooting powerful arrows at bosses while in the air, you can stay far away from their attacks and any little minions that way. W/ more dodges you can chain more shots together before hitting the ground(ie jump-shoot-doublejump-shoot-dodge-shoot-dodge-shoot-etc)

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

second-hand smegma posted:

Dwarf is best. Elf is fun to play, but weak. Amazon owns bones and does a butt-bounce. Sorc has buggunz. Warrior for noobies. Wizard...not really.

This is so wrong.... I can't even with this guy....

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Warrior is for noobs... Until the game actually gets hard in the last bits of lab of chaos and the 100+ levels. Seriously playing well there requires a bit of skill and also teammates who aren't complete idiots and use your ability to tank.

Smart use of Sacrifice/distract can really make a tough battle to way easier. Bash and cover allies really give stupid good bonuses if you can convince people to take advantage of it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'll be playing a few hours of this per day over the next week, I think. I'm 'silkhorn' on psn, and I'll remove a bunch of people I don't know. Please friend me for vita/ps3 dragon's crown! I have a level 32 elf.

Question:
If I want to play another character, what's the deal? I read people posting earlier, about 'level is locked to the lowest character's level' or something. I don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

redreader posted:

I'll be playing a few hours of this per day over the next week, I think. I'm 'silkhorn' on psn, and I'll remove a bunch of people I don't know. Please friend me for vita/ps3 dragon's crown! I have a level 32 elf.

Question:
If I want to play another character, what's the deal? I read people posting earlier, about 'level is locked to the lowest character's level' or something. I don't understand.

I dunno what that refers to, but when you start another character, you are allowed to begin at level 15, skip the intro 9 levels, and go straight to talisman collection. Inventory and money is tied to the save file, so anything level 15 or below that you haven't sold yet is immediately equippable. Sadly, you'll have to buy runes and bags all over again, since those are tied to characters. You can also skip quests that your elf has already finished. You lose out on the EXP and money that you get from doing it yourself, but you get the skill points so you can buy a ton of abilities right off the bat.

• Locked thread