Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

toasterwarrior posted:

Is it me or are all of them but one Chinese streamers?

2/6 are Japanese. It must have broken street date in China, I guess.

My copy is on way, can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
So how do you use skills? I got Blizzard and I have no idea how to use it.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Fauxtool posted:

try scrolling through your items with left and right d-pad. If it doesnt replace one of your existing abilities, it should be there

It's not there.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Overlord K posted:

You folks with early versions should give us an average time on how long it takes you to unlock the online co-op. :colbert:

About 6-7 hours before co-op unlocks if you listen to every dialogue there is. Also, online players can be resurrected just like fallen warriors in dungeons, and added to your singleplayer game. This basically means you can start a new class and have high level allies carry you to co-op.

Edit: There's Japanese DLC to change the game master to a character's voice, 500 yen each, so maybe it's going to be DLC for the west too? That might explain things.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
You can respec with a rare item? What item?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I disagree. This is primarily a singleplayer game. Half of the game focuses on story while the other half enables co-op to find the talismans.

My own complaints about this game thus far would be - netcode is laggy, you can forget about doing combos online. And there's a lack of immersion and sense of destruction in online co-op because of so much poo poo on screen at once, everything's 2D and there's no separation between you and the level of the enemy. Even singling out an enemy is difficult.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I finished the game. I guess I'll give my impressions.

First up, I really like Kamitani's art and the whole atmosphere of the game. It's the whole reason I bother with these kinds of games and his style, the soundtrack, the art by Shigatake/Eldenka and so on, I just really love it. I'm probably biased, but I realize that all Vanillaware games are flawed in some regard, usually having incredible art/direction but lacking in the gameplay department. Dragon's Crown isn't really any different.

Soundtrack is brilliant. I want to buy it and probably will on JP release, it's just incredibly soothing, sometimes I would just sit in town listing to this theme while checking my PC monitor. Graphics are also incredibly appealing, Vanillaware's known for it and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the majority of people purchasing this game are doing it because of how it looks before how it plays. The "stretchy 2D" might throw some people off (or even make them feel ill) but I personally like what they've done, especially how it makes the characters appear as if they're breathing (and not in a cheesy Neptunia way).

Multiplayer unlocks at the half-way point of the game. Not 2 hours or whatever: half-way point. Then it's on to find the 9 talismans in online co-op for the latter half of the game, meaning taking the B route of every dungeon of the former part of the game, and lastly, the final dungeon. Dungeons have a ton of different runes scribbled into the walls which you won't notice when you're playing through the former part of the story, but will become apparent after you've learned about rune magic and how to use it. Unfortunately rune magic is finnicky to operate within online co-op, and there's lag present making things difficult to activate. This goes for doors and levers too, but it's still doable. Occasionally there'll be a post-dungeon "camp" minigame where you get to cook your own food for stat bonuses for the proceeding dungeon, and of course Vanillaware's always had a thing for highly detailed food. A neat little thing about this minigame is that it will actually include different parts of enemies you've killed, such as tentacles if you've killed the Kraken.

Character classes seem fairly balanced with the exception of Elf, who was just too weak for me, and I had to change classes to Dwarf. Elf has limited arrow stock and has to hunt around in dungeons for more, of course they just drop out of nowhere for the player to pick them up. Sorceress has limited uses on a certain number of spells. I started to make a Sorceress, because I had the intention of pumping Blizzard and no other stat. Turns out I couldn't actually do this as skills have level incremental level requirements, but I was pretty much carried from the get-go due to how online NPCs. Basically if you're playing multiplayer and find people's bones, it's people that have died throughout multiplayer. You can also leave a dying message at the tavern and people will see it, I've seen a few in English which confirms that the online multiplayer is worldwide, although that was actually confirmed in a Japanese preview I saw for the game. I found someone who was level 34 and that helped me bring my Dwarf and Sorceress up from level 1 to multiplayer pretty quickly, among a few other online NPCs which I resurrected into my own game. It's kind of like Dark Souls and bloodstains, except you can resurrect them at the church and add them to your party. They're people's characters, just not actually there. I really liked this aspect. I guess it's kinda like Dragon's Dogma's pawns? Although I've never played that game, the concept is essentially the same.

As for weapons, rares and stuff - it's basically just a matter of "keep S/A rank gear, ditch the rest". Most of my stuff is S/A rank at this point, and the game tells you which items are better based on their rank and how much their selling value is worth. Pretty common and I've seen this in a lot of other games, it helps me to see which weapons are better than the others. Weapons, mants, gauntlets, belts, amulets, etc. all have level requirements. I have a few high level bows collected throughout my travels on Elf which I won't be able to use for a good while.

As for the final dungeon, this is where online NPCs come into huge play. If they die, that's it, they're dead and you've lost them. There's also no resurrecting yourself with gold (which I would assume is a throwback or hint at how arcade games are played - paying gold/quarters to continue). The game doesn't end after the final boss though, it pretty much asks you to collect 9 talismans to restore power to one of the Goddess statues on Hard, making you play through the latter half of the game again. Also, regarding online co-op and the final dungeon, it's only possible to online co-op with friends (under start -> add friend), no random players for online co-op. The same rules apply, no resurrecting possible. It feels very Diablo-esque in this regard. Hard's level cap is 65 (Normal being 35), and after a session in Hard I instantly shot up to level 42 from 35.

I encountered a weird bug where my friend and I were stuck, enemies weren't responding and there wasn't no exit, so he left. That aside, online co-op has been fine, albeit laggy. I have an issue with how combos and the game's progression flows in online co-op, mostly because of 4-player co-op and the massive amount of things on screen at any given time. The art style on the characters and enemies is so similar that it's difficult to differentiate yourself from your surrounding enemies and background. Combined with the 4-player co-op and the amount of action on screen, this leads to a lot of "where am I? I can't see my character!" moments, which is... not that great. I guess it's something that the beat 'em up genre suffers from in general, but I have seen games with online co-op executed perfectly, like Castlevania HD.

I finished up at around 25 hours to clear Normal, but I brought three characters into online co-op territory in the process. Anyway, I'm going to stop for today but I'm definitely going through Hard on my Dwarf. I'm not too sure about the other classes in general although I'd like to check out Amazon and Wizard at some point.

Uh, any questions?

Megalixir fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 29, 2013

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Overlord K posted:

Do you have to reunlock online co-op via progression when you play on hard? That's my big curiosity at the moment.

No, you don't. I already covered this in a spoiler above - Hard asks for more talismans, which is just like unlocking co-op for the first time.

scissorman posted:

You seem to have reached the level cap by the end of your normal playthrough, is that to be expected or did you grind for levels?
Also, after achieving max level and getting somewhat good gear, is it still possible to significantly improve your character or are you stuck at that level of power?
Finally, how difficult was the final dungeon?

I guess I want to know if the game's difficulty is primarily dictated by your skill or your stats and gear.

I did grind a little, as I did help a friend obtain a few talismans by trying out online co-op. YMMV though. Since you're gaining levels as a joint effort and not based on what you kill independently, it's entirely possible to progress through the game with online NPCs and online co-op partners at higher levels carrying you through the game.

You're stuck at that level of power as weapons/gear have level restrictions, there doesn't seem much diversity and even the game's inventory list will automatically go to the top choice of weapon/equipment to switch to. I guess you could find other level 35 requirement gear to improve your current level 35 requirement gear. By the time I was 35, I had some level 38 requirement hammers for my Dwarf but couldn't use them, since I wasn't gaining any further experience despite being Normal's level cap, but lacking the requirements for the final dungeon to open.

Final dungeon took me and a friend a few tries. It's more boss than dungeon. I wouldn't say it's terribly difficult and I had more difficulty with the Red Dragon boss. We were waiting for other players to join, but it turns out it's not possible. It's not possible to jump into a final dungeon co-op game either, it's only possible to do the final dungeon by adding friends to your game or by adding resurrected online NPCs from the tavern to your party (which can permanently die in the final dungeon).

Speaking of level caps, my friend found the bones of another player who was level 88, so since I now know Hard's level cap is 65, it seems there's another difficulty above Hard.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Eddain posted:

So for the other dungeons random people can join your co-op game, but the final dungeon prevents randoms from joining? And the only way to get a party for the final dungeon is to set it up beforehand with friends or NPCs?

Yes.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

OxMan posted:

To the 2 posters that have beaten it, which would you say are the most/least solo friendly classes? The vita has a great record of releasing fun online games when I got one to play at work.

It actually says in game:

Fighter: Intended for beginners
Amazon: Intended for intermediate players
Dwarf: Intended for intermediate players
Wizard: Intended for skilled players
Sorceress: Intended for skilled players
Elf: Intended for skilled players

I'd say Fighter/Amazon/Dwarf are a good choice to start with. It doesn't really matter which. Sorc/Wizard have limited castings on their magic per dungeon and Elf has limited arrows, making them harder to use.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Uh, can someone tell me how to create games where actual people will join and not NPCs?

I know I can invite people to in front of the ranch but I think that only works with friends.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

RoyalScion posted:

When you're in the stable/gate, press start and make sure you're set to online. If you want to make your own game, go to the stable. If you want to join random games go to the gate.

Experimented with Chaos Labyrinth just earlier, picked up the skill point refund item after finishing three levels. It's basically a randomized dungeon, although it copies backgrounds from the story dungeons. Trap/enemy/treasure placement is random, and you'll get things such as entire floors lighting on fire or etc. Might get crazier later, since I'm not that far in. You also get rewards for finishing levels; there's generally 2-3 dungeons per level of the labyrinth so far, with a total of 9 levels.

EDIT: Make sure you have join on in the Tavern for player slots.

Thanks, but non-human players are still joining my game. I don't know why. I had a real player join and help me kill Medusa though.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Oh man theres permadeath?

Only for people you've found on multiplayer and resurrected into your own game. Also, you can't repair their equipment, so once all of their stuff breaks, the only option is to delete them. There's also a limit to how many you can have at once.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

What the gently caress happened here? A level 33 with a huge resurrection cost?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
At the moment I have a few chaos weapons but I already have weapons better than them. I guess these chaos weapons (obtained from the Labyrinth) could be considered the equivalent of a Diablo 2 "set". And just like sets, there are regular items better than them. Maybe there's a bonus for using all of them at once, just like in Diablo 2? I only have three so far.

I already have a weapon for my Dwarf which are better than the chaos hammer (雷神のカオスハンマー) which I have, which does 132-165 over the chaos hammer's 132-154. Unless there's some reason to keep using the chaos hammer, I don't see any reason to stick with it at this point.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It doesn't mention anything in the item description? Usually set pieces that combine to give an overall better bonus mention it somewhere, but this is a Japanese game so maybe not. If your Japanese ain't good/non existent I'm sure someone here could hook you up.

All the chaos hammer says (besides usual attributes of weapons) is "tall hammer power +30%" in goldish text.

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's the loot drop per minute rate like? Is it crazy high like Borderlands? Are you constantly running out of space to carry stuff?

I have around 250/500 in my item box and I haven't sold anything. Although I've only been keeping mostly S/A rank gear. It's also possible to share your Item Box with your other characters.

Megalixir fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 30, 2013

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I appear to be stuck on the final boss on Hard. It feels like the game is asking me to grind through the first three levels of the Labyrinth to reach the level cap.

Is it possible to evade that insta-kill tornado crap?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
What are the odds of JP saves working on US copies?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

RoyalScion posted:

Well, today the game froze my PS3 in the middle of a chaos labyrinth dungeon run, so let it be known there is at least one bug in the system.

I've had the game black screen after completing a mission in a party (but I could still jump and hear sounds), I've also had the game freak the gently caress out when someone tried to join and the whole thing would freeze for a while.

Still having difficulties with the final boss on Hard. It's really difficult to deflect attacks as a Dwarf, I would imagine it being easier with basically any other class.

Edit:

Megalixir fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 1, 2013

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Mutation posted:

I heard that there gets to be a lot of "play this level over and over for exp/gear".

Yeah, it does get like this. I was around level 60 and couldn't get through the end of Hard - had to grind. The game has at least 50 sidequests which usually involve running through either A or B route of a map and doing a certain something, or "killing 10/20/30 of thing". Quests give skill points, so it's pretty much required if you wish to continue to get skills at max level.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

blat blat blat posted:

I looked at those cards that dude made, and I'm still wondering how you perform special skills/spells and whatnot? Hold a button to bring up a bank of them or something?

Spells are item slots. I have dpad set to movement so, analogue left/right toggles through slots and down uses them. You only get a limited number to use per dungeon, so unless you have multiple bags with the same item assigned to switch between levels, once you run out, that's it.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'm sensing alot of interest towards the elf, I'm going to be the kicking king y'all you hear me?! :argh:

Every second player is an Elf, we don't need more. It's even worse when you get the skippy type that dash around constantly like they have worms. Ugh.

I wonder if people are starting to make strategic builds. I guess it's too early for that. I know some dude on 2ch made an Elf skill point calculator though..

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Rascyc posted:

Do the stages scale with respect to # of players, like Diablo style? Or is it just same number of enemies with bigger hp bars?

Enemies get stronger across the board. Your damage is lower.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Can someone give me builds for Elf? I honestly don't know what I'm doing.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Fauxtool posted:

dont level up rapid fire, pick either fire or poison

Get these skills (names taken from here http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&prev=_dd&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.4gamer.net%2Fgames%2F134%2FG013480%2FFC20130718003%2F, just match pictures)
power shot
clone shot
impact arrow
arrow stock
enhanced boots
reduced damage

You do damage on bosses with your up charged shot. when you run out of arrows you kick them until you get more

Thanks. I'm also looking into Amazon, I'm guessing Deadly Revolve and Neck Stripper are good? What about Berserk?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

RoyalScion posted:

Absolute max skills are Berserk, Brandish, and the War Paint skill(Creates clones). I also like maxing Punisher, to get faster stacks of Berserk, and dump one point in Parry/Health. Max pockets and evasion, and then split points as you wish between adrenaline and revolution. I personally maxed stun wave, because some range is nice. Unfortunately I also maxed Brutal Drive, which was a mistake; I'd probably max out adrenaline/parry and put more points into health or something.

Thanks. Amazon seems pretty OP, my base damage is pretty high and I'm only 30 or something. I still think Dwarf is better though..

Oh, and one of my friends has confirmed for me that the Japanese saves won't work on the US version. I had a feeling that was the case.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Pierson posted:

Speaking of waffling I'm doing so between the NA and EU versions. How long are we talking between them, like just a few weeks, or half a year like P4G?

It's Atlus, and Europe is still TBA. It isn't a very hard decision to make.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Food drops from enemies and chests, and you have to stand still to eat it. It allows you to go above your default HP, although your default HP will reach 999 if you have level 6 Hit Point Up at 99. There's also a skill, Gold Healing, which will heal you for picking up items. It's also possible to carry healing potions, although they have a limited use and can't be replenished if you're chaining dungeons, unless you have multiples in different bags.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Yes, there is a respec item, but not available until the Labyrinth of Chaos which unlocks after unlocking Hard and clearing a few levels of the Labyrinth of Chaos. There may, or may not be multiple respec items, I'm not sure.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Quixzlizx posted:

I guess one of the benefits of online being an unlock is you'll probably have an idea of what you're doing by the time it unlocks

That would be the point, yes. Also you'll be doing the 50 sidequests in singleplayer, since setting up quests requires inviting friends every time, and some of the quests must be done solo. No randoms. The final boss is locked to singleplayer or co-op with friends and online NPCs, no randoms. If you want to play couch co-op, you'll be doing so on a single profile.

This game has a strong emphasis on singleplayer in general. This isn't Castle Crashers, people.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I seem to have maxed out the Labyrinth of Chaos at the 9th floor, I'm guessing more unlocks after I clear Inferno?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Is there a release date for the US patch? I can't play with anyone with the US version with the JP patched version and I'm not grinding with randoms.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I really hope this doesn't get back into the cookie cutter days of Diablo 2 where "IF YOU DON'T PUT X INTO Y YOU SUCK"

Deadly Revolver Amazons are the Burizons of Dragon's Crown.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I just want to go home and play this for 3 days. :f5:

What's everyones least favorite enemies? I hate the undead, any mod with bonus damage or reduce damage taken against undead are worth two mods to me. Skeletons with crossbows shoot you from the across screen while zombies hold you the gently caress down for a minute. And then there's the new undead type in hard mode argh gently caress those guys kick all undead.

My biggest issue with this game is the final boss. It heals itself, so if you don't do enough damage per second, you can't beat it. It's the game telling you to go off and grind.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think I'm gonna drop my dwarf. I have a friend who plays amazon and it's totally disheartening seeing my Dwarf even bulked up getting one hit killed while he buzzes around the screen like sonic the hedgehog and tanking everything.

Stick with it, Amazons die terribly in Inferno.

I was gonna post the 2ch tier list here but on second thought, nah.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
US version needs to get patched desperately so I can actually play with people, this is bullshit.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I received a badge, which I can equip, after completing the ninth floor of the Chaos Labyrinth. What does it do?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Did someone say there was a way to use Grand Slam twice with two hammers...?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

yellowcar posted:

Equip a second axe/hammer. After you use your first grand slam, switch to the second axe/hammer and press down/or press the hotkey if you set it. There, you instantly equipped another hammer and got another grand slam ready to go without waiting for the cooldown. There's an equip cool down though, so you can't do this indefinitely.

Is the grand slam damage divided between weapons?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
be a dwarf, go into multiplayer games, grab enemies that other people are attacking, and throw them to the other side of the room.

then watch them run after them. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Is there any word regarding the USA Dragon's Crown patch? I'm stuck with the JP version and can't play with most people. Honestly I'm tempted to just buy Hyakkihei to fill in time. I'm not grinding to 99 or doing the Labyrinth of Chaos with randoms.

• Locked thread