Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Bloodly posted:

They're not 'gone'. They're all over Ardania. Why they never returned home in the first place is unclear. Like I said, maybe they just liked it here. They're portrayed as....call it 'flighty'.

Of course, what little I've seen of Warlock 2 revealed more. Spoilers for safety's sake. Amberon's completely changed, now 'Amberon the Light'. Where there was anger and hate, now there's peace. Of course, it took being in the power of a Sauron-analogue that took over the world, and escaping, to do it. At least he now shares the personality of Glorfindel to go with the looks.

Well to be fair a leader who was the ultimate evil and then chose not to be is probably the best possible leader you can have. I'd be willing to follow that kind of person pretty much anywhere.

Warlock 2 isn't 'released' yet but if you pre-order you get a kind of early access thing.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You are now able to pre-order Warlock 2: The Exiled and gain instant access to the game!

Official store release is the 10th of April or so.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Veloxyll posted:

You are now able to pre-order Warlock 2: The Exiled and gain instant access to the game!

Official store release is the 10th of April or so.

Well, there you have it. Once my Laptop gets back (@end of April, graphic card replacements are rarely ever hasty), I'll have to finish this LP before July, when Warlock 2 will become LP legal. A little easier to do since I'm going to have monetary incentive to say at home more.

I'll also have to play Warlock 2 at the same time to be ready when time comes!

Until then, let's hope nobody locks this thread :ohdear:.

As for my faithful readers, you can have a look at my aborted Medieval II LP on this other site (I also do game reviews there when, you know, have a game capable PC) that I used to do before getting an SA account. People have referred to it as "not bad" and "it's certainly not syphilis".

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To go on a brief Warlock 2 tangent; wow. They've certainly decided to increase the scale of the game and the two new 'races' you can play as are certainly interesting although I'm not 100% sure about what I can only call 'rocket powered jetpack infantry with guns' that the 'Dwarf' Svirfs or whatever the hell they're called can deploy. I was not expecting dudes in hovercraft with magical firearms, not at all.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Neruz posted:

To go on a brief Warlock 2 tangent; wow. They've certainly decided to increase the scale of the game and the two new 'races' you can play as are certainly interesting although I'm not 100% sure about what I can only call 'rocket powered jetpack infantry with guns' that the 'Dwarf' Svirfs or whatever the hell they're called can deploy. I was not expecting dudes in hovercraft with magical firearms, not at all.

Well, the elves did have flying ships that looked like they're made of stone, so anything's possible. I just hope people will vote me to play a race wi thout obvious butt monkeys like goblins. And after Jetpack Dorfs, I think I know what they'll choose.

Also, perchance you could direct me to a place where I could read up on the new races? I only saw the Dorfs in that 40 minute Twitch video.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JcDent posted:

Well, the elves did have flying ships that looked like they're made of stone, so anything's possible. I just hope people will vote me to play a race wi thout obvious butt monkeys like goblins. And after Jetpack Dorfs, I think I know what they'll choose.

Also, perchance you could direct me to a place where I could read up on the new races? I only saw the Dorfs in that 40 minute Twitch video.

Fraid not; I can't find any decent wiki or anything probably due to the game still being early access but the other new race is the Planeswalkers which is basically an amalgamate gathering of humanoids from all races who have been scattered to the planes; the Svart shtick seems to be technology and super magic while the Planeswalkers shtick seems to be 'Jack of all Trades' with some magical silliness.

The Svart dudes riding in what I can only describe as upside-down metal bulbs with rockets on the bottom armed with swivel mounted guns just completely blew me away though; up till then the Svarts had been fairly typical 'Dwarf-likes' with a focus on 'Rune Magic' which as described seems to be superior to all other forms of magic by virtue of infinite energy and super heavy infantry, but then the rocket guys came out and I just did not know how to react.

Worth noting that by the cinematics the 'canon' player is Miralbus the Hat; an archmage who starts with a Planeswalker town. The story is basically that while the player was defeating Dremagor one of his rivals\allies cast the Spell of Unity behind his back and became the new god; kicking the player out into the endless planes. You start on one of said planes and need to plane-hop your way back to Ardania and beat the poo poo out of the bastard who stole your godhood. Every single possible leader gets their own little blurb about how the 'United One' hosed them over.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 30, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

I love it when my goblin spearmen gank Greater Fire Elementals. I can just imagine the elementals reaction..."What the gently caress!?! Those are goddamned goblins!"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, one thing I can promise you, lads (and probably some very lost lass), is that I'm gonna tackle the campaign, so that's not going to be up for vote. But since you can use any mage/race for that, that's gonna be for grabs.

Unless I manage to convince that heavy dorf (plane)gatecrashers is a conceptually awesome idea. Here you are, a goblin in a goblin village near a stone-y, swirle-y structure, eating offal (a meal and a cultural activity) when there's a FLASH. Stunty, armored, bearded guys start pouring out of the structure, gunning down everyone in sight. Finally, with the village ablaze and all the goblins thoroughly shot, a fancy looking dwarf poses with one foot on a goblins head, takes off his helmet, wipes the sweat of his brow and, lifting a crystal to his lips, says
"Gate secure. I need a drink"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I love it when my goblin spearmen gank Greater Fire Elementals. I can just imagine the elementals reaction..."What the gently caress!?! Those are goddamned goblins!"

That must have taken wave upon wave of goblins! Also, as I understand elemental lore, his thoughts were mostly "lava lava lava, fire, magma..."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have to say, King Lich would have felt at home in medieval England. Killing most people in Edinburgh to get the money they swallowed is just his style.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Well, one thing I can promise you, lads (and probably some very lost lass), is that I'm gonna tackle the campaign, so that's not going to be up for vote. But since you can use any mage/race for that, that's gonna be for grabs.

Unless I manage to convince that heavy dorf (plane)gatecrashers is a conceptually awesome idea. Here you are, a goblin in a goblin village near a stone-y, swirle-y structure, eating offal (a meal and a cultural activity) when there's a FLASH. Stunty, armored, bearded guys start pouring out of the structure, gunning down everyone in sight. Finally, with the village ablaze and all the goblins thoroughly shot, a fancy looking dwarf poses with one foot on a goblins head, takes off his helmet, wipes the sweat of his brow and, lifting a crystal to his lips, says
"Gate secure. I need a drink"

That must have taken wave upon wave of goblins! Also, as I understand elemental lore, his thoughts were mostly "lava lava lava, fire, magma..."

No actually. Fully buffed goblins are loving brutal.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No actually. Fully buffed goblins are loving brutal.

Svart infantry are way more brutal. I think they have the heaviest infantry in the game; do not gently caress with their fireball casting runelords.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sorta bummed Warlock 2 didn't get more SA exposure, it's a really fun game.

I think too many people came at Warlock expecting Fantasy Civ, and it's really Fantasy General with a lot of Master of Magic flavor.

WL2 is $24 at green man gaming incidentally, if anyone was on the fence about it at full price.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I would like it more if it didn't love crashing on me and not auto-saving.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Once they fix the news system to always take me directly to the location, and not just to the same plane, I'll have the patience to finish up a game. I also get the weird feeling that the mouse pointer seems off sometimes (maybe I need to go fullscreen), and the connection between shards seems a little iffy and problem causing sometimes (should try large?). Having to scroll around to find out what a notification was all about tests my patience a bit, what with a DCSS tournament starting up. I'm also annoyed by the quest system getting screwed up by auto-travel through portals sometimes.

Looking forward to more updates of this LP though, and looking forward to those rough edges getting smoothed off of Warlock 2 - I might end up just not being a fan of exiled mode, but if they fix those quibbles I might be more willing to keep track of the multiple shards while getting hammered by the rear end in a top hat four.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's definitely not the most polished of games. I don't get why the spacebar isn't 'next event'. Seems like the most obvious of hotkeys. I mean I use ahk to bind it to what I want, but still.

Lots of stupid little ui quibbles. Hopefully they'll patch it a few times to fix them, they were pretty slow on the original game iirc.

edit: Finished a game of Exiled mode on Challenging. Game is a ton of fun. If you liked Warlock at all, you'll love the sequel.

Game is still janky all over the place, but its hard to care when you're planeshopping across cool looking terrain and murdering progressively nastier creatures while casting progressively more awesome spells. Good stuff.

victrix fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 13, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, hopefully, I'll get my laptop back in the near future, and then I'll coax Warlock 2 out of my handlers (and Wargame, but that's not important for ya'll).

By the time the three-month quarantine period passes, the game will probably be already patched enough. Hooray!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Forgot to post this:

code:
#ifwinactive Warlock 2
coordmode, mouse, screen

space::
MouseGetPos, storedMouseX, storedMouseY
click 1796, 820
MouseMove, storedMouseX, storedMouseY, 0
Autohotkey script - that's for 1920x1080, right click on the ahk script and select 'windowspy' if you need to change the click coordinates for a different res.

It lets you tap the spacebar to trigger next event, and does so instantly by clicking and returning the cursor to wherever you had it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Latest patch also sped up AI turn processing :woop:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Latest patch also sped up AI turn processing :woop:

Which where what? I can't find any recent patch notes? :confused:

Turns seem pretty drat lightning fast in WL2. Weird that they still have that poo poo rear end alt-tab thing where the game consumes your computer though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I HAVE AWOKEN

Yeah, this is Warlock 2, and it runs pretty sweet. Give me a few days and we'll have a regular Warlock update

Give me three months and some chucklefucks will vote for a Warlock 2 LP where I'm playing monsters again.

Seriously, I was hoping that they would mess around with existing units. So far, monster and human stuff looks all the same. Hopefully we'll get to play as Plane people or dorfs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The interface looks quite familiar. And are you on some kind of flying island there?

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of steampunk dwarfs (those are dorfs, right?). What are those plane people?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Torrannor posted:

The interface looks quite familiar. And are you on some kind of flying island there?

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of steampunk dwarfs (those are dorfs, right?). What are those plane people?

The Planespeople have some regular and magic units. That still sorta mirror the regular units. So Line infantry, archer, mage, etc.

And yes, Floating Islands hoooo!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Don't know how steampunk the dwarves are yet, but I beat somewhat steampunky. Just like in all non-LOTR (and non Witcher) media, I guess.

Planespeople are mostly notable for adding "of Planes" to end of unit names, making the whole faction sound like a 14 year-old's fanfiction.

And technically, those aren't floating islands, they're what's left of the worlds that Dremmer omned and nomed. So, not exactly Erador.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Don't know how steampunk the dwarves are yet, but I beat somewhat steampunky. Just like in all non-LOTR (and non Witcher) media, I guess.

Planespeople are mostly notable for adding "of Planes" to end of unit names, making the whole faction sound like a 14 year-old's fanfiction.

And technically, those aren't floating islands, they're what's left of the worlds that Dremmer omned and nomed. So, not exactly Erador.

The Svarts have City Eating Mecha...:colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Svarts aren't steampunk so much as straight out magitek.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Check your Warlock 2 directory - depending what version you got you could have got a book with it that fills in a big chunk of what happened between Warlock 1 and 2.

The Planestriders aren't so much a race as they are a coalition that Miralbus built out of humans, monsters and undead to fight the Dremer. They were joined by a non-Ardanian race called the Incorporeals, who are aligned with Lunord - Rjakh from the first game is one :ms:

The Svart are a race distantly related to dwarfs, native to a world once attacked by Dremer. Attacked, but not consumed. Yeah, Svart are hardcore. They're also crazy good at metallurgy, possibly related to their link with Helia. They've got a steampunk-y vibe but it's all magic and runes and poo poo.

Spoilers for events between Warlock 1 and 2: The canonical end of Warlock 1 is that while Miralbus is out campaigning against the Dremer, the Grand Librarian casts Unity and either enslaves or ejects all his former rivals.

Where Are They Now?

Miralbus: Leading the Planestriders.
Anna the Benign: Used Agrela's favour to save a huge number of her subjects and relocate them off Ardania.
Nicolas Frost: Dremer-caused global warming robbed him of much of his power, he's a Lord instead of a Great Mage now, and follows Miralbus.
Grand Librarian: United!
Elpiritster the Eternal: Swore allegiance to TUO, recognizing that he could easily take away his immortality.
Empress: Ditto, and in doing so lost the favour of Krypta. It's hinted that Countess Mallacir, the new undead Great Mage, is her descendant.
King Lich V: Had a huge knock-down drag-out fight with TUO to goad him into revealing all his powers, then reformed himself as King Lich VI :master:
Rjakh: Just before the Grand Librarian cast Unity, left Ardania to return to the Incorporeals and assume leadership of them.
King Rrat XLII: Tried to flee TUO but died. After the ensuing civil war, King Rrat LIV rose to power.
Sol de Torvega: Teamed up with Amberon and Krel to try to kill TUO, and died.
Ash-Haar the Wisest: Got bribed by TUO with his own cozy little pocket-world for him and his followers in exchange for not fighting TUO. His former student, Xara, took up the mantel of Head Priest of Grum-Gog.
Tendral, Son of Vendral: Signed up with TUO.
Malinalxochi: Tried to take on TUO solo and was squished :owned: Her half-brother, Tlalocian, has sworn vengeance.
Amberon the Dark: Was captured by TUO who tried to recruit him, and ended up splitting into Amberon the Dark, who serves TUO, and Amberon the Light, who leads the Arethi Elves against TUO.
The Dragon Queen: After Amberon was captured, lead the elves out of Ardania.
Krel the Kingpin: Helia and Krolm intervened to pluck him and his followers out of Ardania and seal it up to stop TUO from conquering the other worlds.

Plus a few entirely new faces: Nefertari, a desert demigoddess, who 'adopted' a pack of human refugees that were lost on her desert world. A couple leaders for the Svart. And a newly-reawakened Primordial Dragon, who originally created magic but hasn't been keeping up with the times.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Svarts are just insane; their leader is a guy called Es Kaliborn who was a Svart tactician and engineer not a Great Mage. As he grew old he succumbed to disease but not before chiseling himself an immortal new body from stone. Over time his stone body has slowed and now he is effectively a talking statue sitting on the Svart throne guarded by the First Rune Witch (who will gently caress your poo poo up).

Now here is a page out of the art book showing two Svart units; The flying Dragomorts we've already talked about but note that while their guns look like flamethrowers with the little pilot light they are in fact laser rifles. But the dude I want to bring your attention to here is the Samolom.

You see the Samolom is in fact the Svart equivilant of an excavator, it's not even weaponised or anything that is literally what their excavators are. The upgraded form is the Destroyer and it is weaponised; by giving it a second head and a fire breath attack.

That's right, the Svart construction equipment of choice is a six-legged fire-breathing robot cerberus.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, keep up all of this excitement till July comes, then get everyone to vote for Svarths. Been playing Planestriders (review purposes) and they're kind of meh. Basically rolling around with heroes, summonables and such.

Also, the new Kuatl guy is hilarious. Used to be that he demand for a spell and shitload of money,I would refuse, then he'd start war, send a few goblins through the gate, I'd crush them with my Warriors (sentient skeletons?), then a lot of turns of nothing would pass and he would offer peace along with a spell and some mana. Lately, he just skips "send goblins" part.

But yeah, I'll try to do an update for next week!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah that's generally my experience in Warlock 2. It's a shame, the rest of the game is great, but the AI practically doesn't even move. It just throws tier 1 units at monsters they can't damage and then try to extort money from you to cover their losses. You of course refuse, so they declare war. A few turns later their four-unit army dies to monsters again, and them they bribe you for peace. They basically throw money at you until they die.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Then waves of loving spiders and undead eat your rear end.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah that's generally my experience in Warlock 2. It's a shame, the rest of the game is great, but the AI practically doesn't even move. It just throws tier 1 units at monsters they can't damage and then try to extort money from you to cover their losses. You of course refuse, so they declare war. A few turns later their four-unit army dies to monsters again, and them they bribe you for peace. They basically throw money at you until they die.

Work your way to Ardania, the United One does not gently caress around :eek:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah that part's a great boss fight for a 4x game. But without an actual AI to oppose you on the way, victory over the United One is inevitable, since he doesn't attack you outside Ardania.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Part of the problem is that the AI is subject to the same plotline (attack by two Shadows of Vendral, offensive terraforming, and the Empress' skeletal zerg rush) as the player, which can easily cripple or greatly slow them down. I've seen an AI absolutely doomed because the terraform quest appeared to have spawned a Snow Queen by the portal in their home shard and it just shut them down completely.

That said, Warlock 1 had great post-release support, so perhaps the AI just needs to be tweaked to fit the new parameters.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Yeah that part's a great boss fight for a 4x game. But without an actual AI to oppose you on the way, victory over the United One is inevitable, since he doesn't attack you outside Ardania.

I would call that questionable. This is the Dremers all over again. Getting to Ardania is hellish. Clearing it is more so. Your enemy ain't the AI, it's the world.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

On challenging, I hope you love casualties on the last world!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Warlock isn't a hard game, I beat WL2 on Challenging/Exiled my first game, Imposssible/Sandbox my second, and I started a third Impossible/Exiled to abuse another broken thing I found.

The AI is bad, doesn't know how to handle quite a few things including terraforming, water, and heavily enchanted/buffed units, the map setup is questionable (single hex portals blocking access to realms of supreme strategic importance? welp), and so on.

But!

Warlock is a fun game. And that's kinda important too :v:

Played a bunch of multi tonight with a friend, seemed to work fine. Saved games are just reload in lobby-reinvite-play. However the fog of war didn't update in realtime on your teammates turn, which was really annoying. I'll go post about it on the forums so the fanboys there can patiently explain to me why such a feature is not needed.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That's the reason why I'm so late with the update, and nothing else. Not Wargame, not Battlefield, not painting 40K miniatures and not the lack of ability to concentrate on one task. Nope.
Really not looking forward to doing the Exiled campaign again. Maybe they'll patch the poo poo out of it in three months

Chapter 7: Anchor Crisis

New in Ardania! A cog full of imps passes a cog full of rats. Seamen everywhere baffled, claim that it ‘sthe result of taking women on board.

Yet even worse things were happening up north. An impetuous regiment of young werewolves charged in too far into the Dremer anchor containment area. Not even their fabled regeneration helped against the dread powers of the alien structure and fell sorcery of traitor mages.

The more experienced (wolf) men mourned the passing of their youthful peers. Yet among the many howls of sorrow one voice spoke up. A humble serjeant offered an idea: while they were stationed on the perimeter, the werewolves should try to harness their heightened agility to avoid the blow of the enemy, rather than taking them and hoping that their werewolf bodies will handle the rest. To that end, many a frozen day was spent dodging blows, running zigzag among the trees and generally learning to appear in an another position once their target loses sight of them.

King Lich V felt a chill go down his spine, which was strange, since undead never felt thing like that (or felt that much at all). After a brief moment, a ghost materialized in a shower of red sparks. Tall and gangly, it looked strange with this un-un-natural coloration and a skull-like head.
“Hark, intruder! Who are you and what are you doing in my tower?”
“M’lord Lich, I’m Arthfael the Forgotten. Ages ago, I was a great wizard and scholar!”
“I don’t think I remember you – and I have been around for ages, you know!”
“Hence my moniker. Nobody remembers me anymore… So sad. Anyway, I came to offer you my services at war. I don’t think you’d mind having an experienced ghost at your beck and call. Of course, they come at price”.
“Name it, wraith” King Lich spat out impatiently.
“Seven hundred gold pieces”
“Seven hundred? For that much money, I could drown the Dremer anchor in goblin corpses! Why would a ghost need money anyways?”
Ah, you see, I have ambitions. In this day and age, universities don’t really accept women nor provide lodgings for their students. I intend to change that. I would start a university of my own name, probably even hire some of your wayward alchemists. And I would erect bunkhouses for the students, one for boy and one for girls. Three per room they’d live, each having a table and a bed. Why, I’d even hire gnomes to provide hot communal baths….”
“So, this is all about vanity and long lost ambitions?”
“No, no, no. Well, partially. Mostly it’s about watching nubile maids soap their breasts in a hot tub, fight each other in pajamas and with straw pillows, as well as shyly discovering the first touch of feminine gentleness”
King Lich slowly raised his boney hand to reattach the side of his jawbone that fell loose in astonishment. The sound of it sliding in place sounded like “What?”
“You see, m’lord, other ghosts moan about their pain and rattle chains. I have been a ghost far too long to that. Actually, I find it cliché. I, I like to haunt lakesides and watch maids go do their washing or taking baths. Unfortunately, hard work in villages is really bad for their slender physiques. And I must flit around many villages to get my fill in a day. So ineffective. My way would be a lot more elegant: a lot of young girls in one place, all them intelligent enough not to spoil my haunting with stupid conversation, all of them spared the indignity of physical work”.
“This is the most maddening idea I’ve heard in this post, and I had goblins poisoned with mushrooms speak about casting votes to choose their leader. On the other hand, I could probably use your talents”
“Excellent. I’ll wait for a few days till scrounge up the gold. Goblin maids are so homely they should stay home!”

Lucius pried open the mouth of the goblin head that flew in through the window and unrolled a damp scroll.
“Ash-Haar the Wisest, leader of all monsterdom demands that you pay a sum of mana and as well as hand over a spell. These will be used to protect Ardania and the monster nation from Dremer threat. Refusing would mean that you are on the side of the alien interlopers and, thus, war”
“To hell with this. Pay him, Lucius, I really don’t have the strength to fight on two fronts. Do I need to be concerned with the insult over the goblin head?”
“No, sire, it’s accepted that dead goblins, no matter who they belong to, don’t warrant an insult”

Khargem didn’t like this one bit. Soul vision blurred when he targeted the Dremer anchor.
The bow wobbled when it loosed and the twang of string was wet somehow.
The arrow flew ill and eventually landed stubbing on the of the patrolling evil mages in the toe.
The bow hissed.

“My liege, I’d claim, with all my academic background, that at this point, it would behoove to call Ash-Haar the Crazier-Than-a-Goblin-Shithouse-Rat.

The retaliation of the mages was fierce. Pooling their foul energies into a huge blob of evil, they hurled it at Khargem. Flesh boiled off Khargem’s skeleton, then his bones were pulverized, and the dust scattered in the wind.
Only the bow remained.

Yet there was no time for mourning. Sensing another Dremer gate through his magical senses, King Lich send word to the Anchor isolation troops. They had to abandon their posts and fall back to destroy the gate and any Dremer that followed.

Sir Flangorn’s Touch of Cold was usually agreed to be a fairly simple enchantment, usually cast of weapon, that made the touch of the now magical item, to be freezing cold and cause instant frostbite. It a lot less clear, however, how and why it was made. The most reputable sources suggested that the spell channeled Flangorn’s feelings towards his red-headed son, who decided to become a bard and married a catamite.

Another goblin head flew in through the window.
“That’s it, I’m ordering those barred. Avgustus, could you pick it up?”
“M’lord. This comes from Amberon. Says something about the Truth – that’s with a capital T – Dremer and so forth. The point is, he wants mana and a spell”.
“Or he attacks?”
“Or he attacks, yes.”
“Fine, give it to him. But if he does that again, I’ll have werewolves tearing elven heads off in a minute.”
“A wise decision, my lord”.

Killing Dremer was never as easy as just ripping the brutes apart. Some magic had to be expended to clean the tainted land that harmed the friendly troops and bolstered the beasts. However, once that was done, and sufficiently trained forces were, killing Dremer was no harder than taking down ogres.

The invaders were still repulsive and all sorts of wrong. And nobody felt that wrongness as well as a person devoted to Agrella. Emerah detestation with foul creatures was almost palpable and tinged the air green. Some even claimed that this righteous wrath even warded away deathly spells employed by sorcerers under Dremer command…

“M’lord, are you sure it’s a good name?”
“Lucius, it’s a town filled with gnomes and goblins. The only significant thing about it are the ruins and the mana springs, both of which they’re incapable of using. So yes, Ruin Springs is a well enough name for it!”

“Melchior, I don’t understand this at all. He threatens me, breaks alliances, burns down perfectly good cities… What’s wrong with that damned goblin?”
“Maybe he tried to eat Dremer, m’lord? Goblins are notorious for trying to eat something. That’s how they become shamans, really: one must eat something so foul and inedible that they start communicating with the gods”
“I’m starting to miss the days when all of my subjects were skeletons”.

Back in the south-west, werewolves prepared and launched the last attack against the Dremer gate. No tool made by mortal hand rends Dremer as well as a werewolf claw does and so the gate was taken down in an orgy of blood and gore and ichor.
Luckily enough, living amongst goblins made the werewolves mostly immune to such foul contagion.

“It is most unfortunate that we couldn't place the new city closer to the holy grounds, m’lord”
“Bah. It’s all my own fault, Melchior”
“Your own what?”
“My own fault. You might not be used to kings admitting mistakes, but there’s no way around it. I might have mastered life and death, but planning cities is still beyond my grasp. One day… One day!”
“Well, sir, this will probably help us get the dwarves, and they have some sturdy, if stunty, fellows to offer. I hear that they actually wash themselves, too!”
“The more I hear about them, the more I like them, Melchior.“

Gentleman’s Coat was spell borne out of greediness. One ancient mage liked to ask noble ladies and young maids out for a walk. Unfortunatelly, he was somewhat niggardly in that he never lent them a coat if it got cold or started to rain. And since he was a mage, creating a spell that would get around this issue seemed to be a good idea.
Small surprise that he died alone and unloved.

“So tell, me Lucius, why are we not at war?”
“Well, Master Avgustus, like they say, cooler heads prevailed. And nobody has a colder head than a lich”

King Lich was touring the new shipyard in Golddale.
“So you built all this why?”
“Vengeance, m’lord” answered Clubfoot John, the stocky harbormaster of Golddale “ Lotta good folks died on the duck. A lot folks missing luvd ones. Some say that ol captain Duckwinson comes to them in da dreams. Shakes his fist at the sky, he does, shouting ‘Serpentssss’. All that hissing’s no good for sleep. And they say Bile’s wraith has been seen in the inn. Even caused a fight, it did, claimed he slept with th’ inkeeper’s wife”
“Did he actually do it?”
“Well, yes, he did, but it’s still unkind to say so”.
The king gave the shipyard another glance.
“So, vengeance?”
“Aye, m’lord. A much bigger ship… maybe a few. We saw a few corpses wash up. Elves, sir. Looked like they were gnawed by th’ serpents. Those are ripe to be a problem. Not much shipping after the king disappeared!”

Used to be that halberdiers would guard the Kings castle in his re-conquest of Ardania. Heroes went on their well-paid quests, tax collectors would collect money and halberdiers would patrol around, fighting back the attacks of giants rats and what not. After the disappearance of the King, they had no duties, but the suit of armor and the halberd was still there. So, to spite the Warrios’ guild, they set up the Halberdiers’ Guild. The prices were a little steep, but the quality of the troops was commendable.
The local waif also liked their beards better.

Another new institution that drew the ire of the menfolk and was a source of joy for the women was the Minotaur Palace in Dreno. Here, instead of chasing would-be troops around a labyrinth, minotaurs trained all day to sell their service to the highest bidder, preferably a grand mage.
The Palace was maintained, in part, by the money that noble ladies and idle merchantmen wives paid to look and the minotaurs sweat and flex in training.

Money exchanged undead hands and, almost faster than in a heartbeat, Artfael’s Academy of Magical Arts and Lucius Rendclaw School of Philosophy opened its door.
“You managed to talk one of my advisors into helping you, ghost?”
“Well, Lucius showed interest in an academic subject near and dear to my own immaterial heart…”
“Wait, don’t tell me. It’s comely young maids, isn’t it?”
“How did you know?”
“Well, when I first met him, he had just eaten a gnome drunkard. And he talks when he drinks”.

“Never the less, my lich lord, this is a reputable place of magic sciences. We won’t be giving away diplomas to just anyone!”
“So that’s why you’re tryng to fleece Emerah for a hundred gold pieces?”
“Well, she wants us to teach her over a distance. Balderdash! Especially with the prices of ink and imps these days. She can pay!”

The bridge loomed over a chasm, huge and imposing.
“So you say the trolls built it themselves?”
“Yes. All from the stones of city walls. They like destroying fortifications, m’lord”.
“Excellent”.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I'm digging the narrative, I've been replaying Masjesty 2 and it really fits with the universe.

Warlock 2 spoilers: The Exiled campaign is easy to blitz through early and forget about until it's time to zergrush through Ainadra into Ardania - the dragons can be lured into range of your capital's blasts, it's not difficult to stockpile gold and mana early on to pay for the Elpiritster mission, and with even a little bit of luck with Lords or some relatively early tier-3 units or sufficiently experienced tier-2s you can stomp on the Empress' minions and at that point you're free to hop through the multiverse without concern, building up a monstrous economy, founding sprawling metropoli of free cities and collecting Legendary Lords and Unit Perks like stamps, and the United One and his goons will just be sitting there twiddling their thumbs and waiting for you for as long as it takes.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Tehan posted:

I'm digging the narrative, I've been replaying Masjesty 2 and it really fits with the universe.

Warlock 2 spoilers: The Exiled campaign is easy to blitz through early and forget about until it's time to zergrush through Ainadra into Ardania - the dragons can be lured into range of your capital's blasts, it's not difficult to stockpile gold and mana early on to pay for the Elpiritster mission, and with even a little bit of luck with Lords or some relatively early tier-3 units or sufficiently experienced tier-2s you can stomp on the Empress' minions and at that point you're free to hop through the multiverse without concern, building up a monstrous economy, founding sprawling metropoli of free cities and collecting Legendary Lords and Unit Perks like stamps, and the United One and his goons will just be sitting there twiddling their thumbs and waiting for you for as long as it takes.

Until the game crashes and wipes your autosave, and all your progress with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Basically both Warlock games are dumb and bad but weirdly charming and enjoyable.

• Locked thread