Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

NancyPants posted:

Stop this poo poo

Shut up

One time I got probated for 3 days for replying to Dick Hz "because gently caress you that's why"

I am starting to consider doing it again
Hey now, at least get my name right. If it makes you feel any better, I got probated for that exchange as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Here's some content:

r/legaladvice posted:

My aunt who has cancer asked me to marry her so that she can leave me her wealth avoiding estate taxes.

My aunt (my father's brother's widow; not related by blood) is in her late 50's, with millions of dollars. I am in my 20's. She has cancer and says it doesn't look good. She has one child, my cousin, who came out as trans. My aunt pretends to be OK with it but actually thinks that my cousin is disgusting and wants to make sure before she dies that they will never inherit a cent. She would like me to have the money instead, out of spite, basically. She is also anti-taxation and wants me to marry her so that she can leave her money to me without going through the estate tax. Does this work from a tax perspective? How likely is it that such an inheritance would be challenged, and could the challenge be effective? Would it make a difference if the marriage was an unconsummated sham marriage? Would I ever have to prove that I lived with her or had sex with her?

Why draw up a will to spite your "deviant" trans child when you can uhhhhhhhh...marry your nephew instead? :psyduck:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

lol that motherfucker got us to fight about whether the chilis in his town is as good as the multiple chilis in our towns.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

lol that motherfucker got us to fight about whether the chilis in his town is as good as the multiple chilis in our towns.

Dude, everyone knows Chilis is BWM. You gotta go to TGIF to get your moneys worth.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Applebees is best with money. A weeks worth of calories in only 17 servings of mozzarella sticks! For one low price!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

sparkmaster posted:

Applebees is best with money. A weeks worth of calories in only 17 servings of mozzarella sticks! For one low price!
Got any tips for camping out there on endless appetizers as long as possible?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Got any tips for camping out there on endless appetizers as long as possible?

Sweatpants

E: sorry for spelling your name wrong

EE: crazy aunt has some terrible motivations, but is her strategy insane? Would the nephew need to show his contributions to the accounts to keep them out of her estate?

Also, it would be hilarious if the nephew went along with it, then cut in his cousin when she's dead.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 30, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

pig slut lisa posted:

Here's some content:

Why draw up a will to spite your "deviant" trans child when you can uhhhhhhhh...marry your nephew instead? :psyduck:

I'm hoping someone convinced him that yes, by law, he must have photographic proof.

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
Jesus Christ I'm from the city and I know if y'all are talking about the kind of cuisine you only get in the "big city" then y'all are all bwm because that poo poo ain't cheap.

Back to real bwm though, my wife's coworker is commuting 1.5 hours to work every morning(from an hour north of DC to Arlington) and is paying $250 to live in a tent on some hillbilly's property.

That's not all, though. He's also paying an EXTRA $200 a month to get "daylight house privileges" to use the kitchen and bathroom and stuff.

He also does house work and chores.

He also owes $100k in student loans because he went abroad for a year and has an associate's and some other professional degree.

He wore velour 'big and tall' sweat shorts to work today complete with a belt (the shorts don't have belt loops). I have photographic evidence of all of this.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

HoogieChooChoo posted:

Jesus Christ I'm from the city and I know if y'all are talking about the kind of cuisine you only get in the "big city" then y'all are all bwm because that poo poo ain't cheap.

Back to real bwm though, my wife's coworker is commuting 1.5 hours to work every morning(from an hour north of DC to Arlington) and is paying $250 to live in a tent on some hillbilly's property.

That's not all, though. He's also paying an EXTRA $200 a month to get "daylight house privileges" to use the kitchen and bathroom and stuff.

He also does house work and chores.

He also owes $100k in student loans because he went abroad for a year and has an associate's and some other professional degree.

He wore velour 'big and tall' sweat shorts to work today complete with a belt (the shorts don't have belt loops). I have photographic evidence of all of this.

Even of his student loans??? Why aren't you posting that poo poo??? WHY ARE YOU RUINING MY IMMERSION????????

Seriously though, that outfit sounds p. Ridiculous, plz show!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

HoogieChooChoo posted:

Why throw this in when you know everyone is going to tell you to :justpost:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

IllegallySober posted:

bwp

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

IllegallySober posted:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

pig slut lisa posted:

Here's some content:

I feel like she's aware of this option but instead chose to troll the hell out of everyone just so she can lie on her deathbed in her dying hours and go, "Heh. Punk'd."

At least... that's what I hope. :psyduck:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Getting kind of weird in here

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: very out of date refresh, nevermind.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I blame whoever bought that banner ad.

Wanting to buy a 13 year old Porsche instead of moving out of your parent's place: Questionably BWM(he might be able to afford it, but mostly because he's living rent-free), definitely BWL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4ujjp5/when_is_it_okay_to_make_an_irresponsible_purchase/ posted:

I'm 25 with a job making $70k a year. Slightly over $50k in savings and $20k in my 401k. Currently live at home with no rent, no student loans, and my car is paid for. Only expenses are car insurance, phone & gym bill.

I feel like I might be having a mid life crisis a bit early. I stumbled across a 2003 Porsche 911 Carrara 4S for $23k. I know I don't need a car but right now I feel like what's the point of having money if I don't spend it occasionally. If it was maintained the way the seller says it was I believe there shouldn't be any issues or major repairs that I would need in the next two years and I would only be using it as a weekend joy ride type car.

My logic - after 2 years the car should be worth a minimum of $12k, hopefully more, but that would be equal to $11k depreciation over 2 years. If I leased the base model Lexus es 350 for two years with no upgrades it is $3k down and $319 a month. So, a lease for $10,600 or own a Porsche for $11,000 over 2 years. Obviously with a lease I wouldn't have to tie up my money but I think I can deal without making interest on $23k for 2 years.

My question for pf - is there ever a good time to make an unnecessary purchase like this and what's your best advice to talk me off this ledge?

Update 1: Wow, did not expect this to blow up so much. Let me clear a few things up and also touch on some points made already. When I was 23 I graduated and immediately started working full time. 2 months after working full time I started looking into apartments that were closer to work so I wouldn't have a 30 minute commute. After about two weeks of looking I talked to my parents about a place I found they actually convinced me to stay home with them. They both lived home until they were 27 and 28 without rent and wanted to offer me the same opportunity that they had to save money. Obviously at 25 this has paid off for me financially but by no stretch of the imagination am I taking advantage of my parents, we actually have a great relationship.

Now, that statement does make things interesting. They convinced me to stay with them so I could save money, if I go and buy this car then they may feel slighted, which they would have a right to. I definitely need to talk to them about it before I make a purchase like that, as some noted in the comments. On another note, since I was ten I have loved cars and consider myself a car enthusiast. I have been a Porsche fan for a while and would consider myself wanting this car to be 80% car related and 20% status symbol.

Lastly, it looks like I didn't finish all of my due diligence yet. The depreciation rate should be lower than what I said but with the cost of repairs it may be closer to evening out over 2 years of light driving. I think the best piece of advice so far has been to compare the cost to something more relatable then a lease, which I don't need either. I think this will help put things in perspective. I will reply to comments in a couple of hours when I have more free time.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
gently caress that guy. I'm in that situation right now, making less, with less in savings, and 100% of my focus is on improving my situation.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Moneyball posted:

gently caress that guy. I'm in that situation right now, making less, with less in savings, and 100% of my focus is on improving my situation.

:smith: :hf: :smith: Same here.

I'm just trying to save up enough money to buy a lovely used car (less than $5k) and be able to move out, this gently caress has $50k in savings and is still living at home. Move out, you poo poo!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
He has been working at his $70k job for two years and saved $70k? I wouldn't be surprised if his parents are paying for his food and entertainment too.

Dude probably has a parent's credit card and just saves 100% of his paychecks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Realtalk the main appeals of big city 'culture' is easy accessibility to low keys shows and mid level cuisine on weeknights. Anything high end - 3 star michelin restaurants, huge concerts with big name artists, Wagner at the opera, can be done easily from out of town. The real advantage is other stuff to do on weeknights without needing to take a ton of time traveling to do so.

It's also BWM as all hell but since telling a potential significant other 'i like to stay at home and entertain myself with movies, tv, video games, and cook for myself' isn't the best way to appeal to people.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Wanting to buy a 13 year old Porsche instead of moving out of your parent's place: Questionably BWM(he might be able to afford it, but mostly because he's living rent-free), definitely BWL.

hell why not, he's got enough to pay for it outright and his family is totally ok with him living at home (not shameful imo, america's fixation on people moving out as soon as they can is ridiculous given how expensive cost of living is in any reasonable city)

Not the brightest of decisions but it wouldn't bankrupt him and he'd have a rad car. Y'all just jealous (I sure am)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
For real, feels like that just got posted so people could say gently caress this guy that makes 70k and has such few expenses.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If his parents can afford it, I don't see the problem with him living at home specifically to save money.

It does make it a little tough to justify buying that car, though. The intent was to save money, not spend it.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Realtalk the main appeals of big city 'culture' is easy accessibility to low keys shows and mid level cuisine on weeknights. Anything high end - 3 star michelin restaurants, huge concerts with big name artists, Wagner at the opera, can be done easily from out of town. The real advantage is other stuff to do on weeknights without needing to take a ton of time traveling to do so.

It's also BWM as all hell but since telling a potential significant other 'i like to stay at home and entertain myself with movies, tv, video games, and cook for myself' isn't the best way to appeal to people.

Right, I can take a 55 minute flight into NYC for a three day weekend, see Hamilton and get a table at Per Se so I can tell everyone it's gone off a cliff, and I don't have to pay $8000/mo rent to do it. I definitely understand the appeal and parts of it are irreplaceable if you have that luxury but lol some people acting like they live this world class lifestyle with their three roommates between their two jobs.

Jan 11, 2004

Haifisch posted:

It might piss his family off but the only thing outrageous about buying a that car is the sole fact that it is a Porsche. If he said he was buying a new $23,000 Jetta nobody would bat an eyelash at such.a sensible young man working hard and saving up cash to buy a car. It will hold it's value much better than 50% depreciation in two years and it is a vehicle legendary for its reliability and reasonable maintenance costs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Right, I can take a 55 minute flight into NYC for a three day weekend, see Hamilton and get a table at Per Se so I can tell everyone it's gone off a cliff, and I don't have to pay $8000/mo rent to do it. I definitely understand the appeal and parts of it are irreplaceable if you have that luxury but lol some people acting like they live this world class lifestyle with their three roommates between their two jobs.

A loving men.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I understand taking into account the resale value of a car or a house when making a purchase. But your daily driver is not a car you should expect to flip, even more so than your primary residence. By necessity you're taking your "investment" outside and beating up on it, because that's its job.

There's probably some space between "brand new Jetta that will depreciate 50% in the first year" and "13 year old imported (sports?) car used as a DD" when it comes to the balance of depreciation vs maintenance cost. Just going out on a limb.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

NancyPants posted:

I understand taking into account the resale value of a car or a house when making a purchase. But your daily driver is not a car you should expect to flip, even more so than your primary residence. By necessity you're taking your "investment" outside and beating up on it, because that's its job.

There's probably some space between "brand new Jetta that will depreciate 50% in the first year" and "13 year old imported (sports?) car used as a DD" when it comes to the balance of depreciation vs maintenance cost. Just going out on a limb.

Who cares? He's got 70k in the bank and is doing just fine. A $23k splurge isn't going to hurt him.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Residency Evil posted:

Who cares? He's got 70k in the bank and is doing just fine. A $23k splurge isn't going to hurt him.

He should splurge on some stock.:colbert:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Seems like he's already saving a ton in a year so I'd personally say gently caress It and splurge. Of course he could do better things with that money but nailing him as bwm is a huge stretch.

Me? I'm bwm :smith:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

My only problem with it is he isn't putting enough into his 401k/IRA. I imagine the reason they want him to live at home is to buy a house when he moves out, and $50k is house buyin money in a lot of markets.

It also sounds like he might not understand that it really is a $23k splurge, because any residual value in that thing is going to be eaten up by maintenance. There's a reason a $100k car is worth $23k today. He should get his dad to go in halfsies with him and they can co-midlife crisis.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You could make that a monthly thing, flying in from somewhere in the flyover states, and still pay less.

Hell, just for fun.

My rent + utilities on an 800 square foot one bedroom in Iowa : $900.

Airfare + hotel to hop a flight to NYC tomorrow at 7am and stick around through Tuesday, flying first class and staying at the Hotel St. James on Times Square : $1200 + tax on Travelocity.

So to make up the difference in rent, I'd have to somehow keep my entertainment expenses under $5900 for the weekend.

Think I might maybe manage that. :v:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 31, 2016

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

That Porsche 911 is a great car, the issue is that he's presenting it as an option between a 911 or a lease. Nobody in the reddit thread (or here) is addressing that. That's the BWM part.

Him living at home is fine if he gets along ok with his parents, in Asia that is what most people do. I agree that it's a weird American thing that if you don't leave home when you are 18 then you're either a loser or a burden on your parents. My parents would LOVE for me to move home. However, if he's single, it's probably bad with relationships, because dating someone who lives with their parents when you're an adult is awkward.

And jesus SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT CITY CHAT. YOUR CITY IS BETTER THAN YOUR OTHER CITY WE GOT IT.

Bad with money:

quote:

Hello. Not sure if this is the right sub for this question, but gonna give it a shot. I'm going on 7 day trip to Tokyo, Japan in 35 days and only have $25 dollars in my account. I am 19 & currently interning for a fashion company so flight & room are paid for, but since it is an unpaid internship I do not have any money steadily coming in. I make money here & there by my employer & by selling my own used clothes online. I know I should've been smarter with my money and saved, but this trip was sort of unexpected. Either way I know I should've been saving. The reason I want to have at least $600-$1000+ is for clothes (which is what I'm looking forward to the most), transportation, shopping, food, and other miscellaneous things that require money. I don't want to be worried about running out of money over there or coming back completely broke. Any tips on how to come up with that sort of cash in 35 days and tips on saving it until then? Thank you!

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

lol some people acting like they live this world class lifestyle with their three roommates between their two jobs.
and clutching their pearls when finding out not every flyover peasant's life goal is to live in NYC

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

quote:

Hello. Not sure if this is the right sub for this question, but gonna give it a shot. I'm going on 7 day trip to Tokyo, Japan in 35 days and only have $25 dollars in my account. I am 19 & currently interning for a fashion company so flight & room are paid for, but since it is an unpaid internship I do not have any money steadily coming in. I make money here & there by my employer & by selling my own used clothes online. I know I should've been smarter with my money and saved, but this trip was sort of unexpected. Either way I know I should've been saving. The reason I want to have at least $600-$1000+ is for clothes (which is what I'm looking forward to the most), transportation, shopping, food, and other miscellaneous things that require money. I don't want to be worried about running out of money over there or coming back completely broke. Any tips on how to come up with that sort of cash in 35 days and tips on saving it until then? Thank you!

Prostitution.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Danknificent posted:

He should splurge on some stock.:colbert:

Good With Money doesn't have to be Perfect With Money.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Liquid Communism posted:

You could make that a monthly thing, flying in from somewhere in the flyover states, and still pay less.

Hell, just for fun.

My rent + utilities on an 800 square foot one bedroom in Iowa : $900.

Airfare + hotel to hop a flight to NYC tomorrow at 7am and stick around through Tuesday, flying first class and staying at the Hotel St. James on Times Square : $1200 + tax on Travelocity.

So to make up the difference in rent, I'd have to somehow keep my entertainment expenses under $5900 for the weekend.

Think I might maybe manage that. :v:

Rent on a 1 bedroom apartment in NYC isn't $8,000 unless you are talking about the most exclusive parts of Manhattan. Probably about $2,000 in Brooklyn.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BarbarianElephant posted:

Rent on a 1 bedroom apartment in NYC isn't $8,000 unless you are talking about the most exclusive parts of Manhattan. Probably about $2,000 in Brooklyn.

Some careers will have people taking a very significant paycut to live in NYC. When you're looking at earning 1/2 or less of what you could be earning by demanding to live in NYC, even before the massive difference in COL you begin to wonder whether you'd prefer to live in NYC or, say, have a loving winter home and fly there whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 11, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

$3500-5000 if you want a nicely appointed one bedroom in a doorman building in Nice Brooklyn convenient to Manhattan by subway, like Heights or Park Slope, also you're signing a two year lease and paying a broker fee. No idea how low you can go if you don't mind walking 15 minutes to the subway in a lovely neighborhood way out there

• Locked thread