Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
He didn't even read the post he was responding to, where it is obviously stated that he has no close friends or family which I'm pretty sure includes a spouse and children. But don't worry, be managed to load up on condescension before he posted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Weatherman posted:

what the gently caress just happened

GBS is leaking

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

He told him to kiss his wife's entire rear end.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I got "creep on your sleeping family" out of that, which I guess is not that bad a sentiment in general but i don't know why it's advice in this specific situation

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

SpelledBackwards posted:

He told him to kiss his wife's entire rear end.

Don't kink shame.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
With like 30 new posts, I expected a conversation about what type of vehicle to use to drive to your horse wedding

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I still can't tell if this is the best or worst thread on SA.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Moneyball posted:

With like 30 new posts, I expected a conversation about what type of vehicle to use to drive to your horse wedding

You obviously ride in a carriage. Pulled by other horses. With your newlywed horses in the carriage.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Residency Evil posted:

I still can't tell if this is the best or worst thread on SA.

It varies not only by the day, but by the hour. There've been some good stories as recently as yesterday, but it's pretty bad right now

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Spermy Smurf posted:

You obviously ride in a carriage. Pulled by other horses. With your newlywed horses in the carriage.

I always wonder if those horses in downtown areas have more issues now that the average american is like 50 lbs heavier.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

acidia posted:

I don't know, monopoly got a lot of things right about banks... like how the banker's sole goal in life is to steal every dollar they possibly can from the bank and gloat about it afterwards.

BWM contribution:
$500,000 in life insurance but I'm alone, have no close family, and have no debts. Just don't want to be a burden, if I gently caress something up accidentally on the way out the door feel free to sue my estate I guess?
Does the gub'ment tax away all the "my bad" insurance if leftovers go to non-profits?

You just need enough assets to cover a funeral. If you have the savings for that, then you don't need life insurance.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

NancyPants posted:

I got "creep on your sleeping family" out of that, which I guess is not that bad a sentiment in general but i don't know why it's advice in this specific situation
acidia has no family, VendaGoat is trying to make him feel even worse about it so that he kills himself. I think.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
New thread title: "loving "lol", kiss my entire rear end"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
y'all are giving his irrelevant and insane ramblings too much attention, more stories please!

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

TLG James posted:

I always wonder if those horses in downtown areas have more issues now that the average american is like 50 lbs heavier.

True story: I once worked a wedding venue in TX. One bride decided that she needed to pull up to the indoor ceremony outside in a horse-drawn carriage. This particular woman was rather overweight, and it was summer. In Texas. She had to sit in the carriage outside for like half an hour, and I think really regretted that choice. The staff had to keep bringing her cold bottles of water. Bad with wedding expenses.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

TLG James posted:

Nathan Fielder has solved this problem, his business solutions are GWM.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/xvyhbs/nathan-for-you-horsey-rides-for-the-morbidly-obese

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Vendagoat has broken into his supply of amphetamines again.

Meth! Meth for sale! Hey! You want some Meth? Meth here! Meth for sale! Yummy, Fresh Meth for sale!

METH!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Okay, here's how this works. First, I got pregnant in high school. Then! My baby's daddy decided not to leave his wife but he did stop being my guidance counselor. So none of my transcripts went to college. Now I'm going to take you through the next eight years in eleven seconds. Ready? Meth. Meth. Meth. Biker boyfriend. Dead cop. Technicality. Rehab. Jesus. Pharmacy assistant. MEEEEETH! Checkout clerk. Wave your food over this laser beam and put it in the bag. Do you HAVE any meth? No? Then we'll end on put your food in this bag. That's how this works!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KingSlime posted:

y'all are giving his irrelevant and insane ramblings too much attention, more stories please!

Today for lunch I'm going to go get a starbucks mocha.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Moneyball posted:

Okay, here's how this works. First, I got pregnant in high school. Then! My baby's daddy decided not to leave his wife but he did stop being my guidance counselor. So none of my transcripts went to college. Now I'm going to take you through the next eight years in eleven seconds. Ready? Meth. Meth. Meth. Biker boyfriend. Dead cop. Technicality. Rehab. Jesus. Pharmacy assistant. MEEEEETH! Checkout clerk. Wave your food over this laser beam and put it in the bag. Do you HAVE any meth? No? Then we'll end on put your food in this bag. That's how this works!
Besides the fat horse wedding post, I think this is the best story today.

More horse stories, please.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-teen-spent-25k-man-money-sentenced-article-1.2145903

This winner 18 year old had $35k accidentally deposited into his account, which was destined for a guy of the same name.

The bank contacted him pretty fast asking for the money back, but within 10 days he had already blown $25,000 on a bunch of crap, including a BMW.

When the police came knocking he claimed that it was from an "inheritance" but also that he would work it out with the bank. He did not, and went to jail.

Bonus: in one of the articles, his mom or some relative says the boy was naturally just "excited" and doing what anyone would do. Then she argues that if anyone is at fault, it's the bank teller, and that she'd do the same thing if she found extra money in her account.

My favorite part of these stories is the mad rush to just waste it all in the most pointless way possible. Not, "better stash this somewhere and lay low and see if anyone notices" but "HOT drat!!! If I spend it all, they won't be able to take anything back, will they? :smuggo:"

Jesse from Breaking Bad IRL, basically.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 26, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

was it 5 or 6 dollars

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
BWM: Investing any money in this company:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-25/plot-thickens-in-sec-case-of-a-35-billion-company-no-one-knows

Bloomberg posted:

The company said Zubkis asked for the leave due to concern that his continued involvement with Neuromama would embolden short sellers keen to drive down its shares. Zubkis also cited a “crusade to bring his daughter’s murderer to justice” by persuading police to reopen the case, according to the statement.

“That will require so much of my attention that I won’t be able to provide Neuromama executives with the 24/7 counseling they deserve," Zubkis is quoted as saying in the filing.

:getin:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Thesaurus posted:

Bonus: in one of the articles, his mom or some relative says the boy was naturally just "excited" and doing what anyone would do. Then she argues that if anyone is at fault, it's the bank teller, and that she'd do the same thing if she found extra money in her account.

My favorite part of these stories is the mad rush to just waste it all in the most pointless way possible. Not, "better stash this somewhere and lay low and see if anyone notices" but "HOT drat!!! If I spend it all, they won't be able to take anything back, will they? :smuggo:"

This is pretty much what a lot of people think being rich is. Spending a whole heap of money all the time. Brewster's Millions but with $35k.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

was it 5 or 6 dollars

it was free from star rewards :smugdog:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Devian666 posted:

This is pretty much what a lot of people think being rich is. Spending a whole heap of money all the time. Brewster's Millions but with $35k.

For pretty much anyone living hand-to-mouth, "being able to buy something nice" would be miraculous, and "saving money for when you really need it" usually means paying down a loan or some urgent bill and never having anything nice.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

H110Hawk posted:

H110Hawk posted:

it was free from star rewards :smugdog:

Rewards programs, GWM?

Thesaurus posted:

Something something poor people learn to love for today something always bills something

Also, Jesse spent all of that money as a way to try to find a way to plug the giant hole in his heart, never succeeding, not quite the same thing.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

For pretty much anyone living hand-to-mouth, "being able to buy something nice" would be miraculous, and "saving money for when you really need it" usually means paying down a loan or some urgent bill and never having anything nice.

Fools! Financial security is literally the nicest thing anyone can have. :colbert:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Danknificent posted:

Fools! Financial security is literally the nicest thing anyone can have. :colbert:

But they'll never have that no matter what they do, that's the point.

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010
What have your parents taught you about money?

MilleniumBuc posted:

How bankruptcy works.

meade18 posted:

My dad did really well for himself working in upper management in a family business. He made himself invaluable to them so much so that when he finally left to work for himself, they kept him on as a consultant and he spends 6 weeks a year working for them making what I make in a year at my job. But he is horrible with all the money he made. He has very little retirement savings. His current job (the business he co-owns) pays him a salary, but I don't think it makes much of a profit that he can collect at the end of the year. He says he's building a lot of equity and the business will be worth a bunch when he wants to retire and sell, but it's not really a liquid investment. Even with essentially two salaries, he and his wife spend nearly all of it. He had very little liquid savings. Just a few pieces of real estate. Almost no equity, but they are cash flow positive. I have no idea where all his money goes.

My mom, when my parents divorced, had to work a lot to keep up her lifestyle. She'd be miserable right now if she didn't meet and marry a very successful engineer.

There's this guy...

sclantw posted:

A while ago I got my epiphany when my professor told me her parent started a mutual fund for her and taught her how to invest and save when she was in high school. That made me realize that my parents were financially illiterate.

My parents treated money topic as taboo and 99% cases of money related discussions ended up in fights. Now the female parent is 67, can't retire, with little net worth because she spends based on her emotion (wants instead of needs) without any planning for a dignified retirement life.

I started working three years ago. With the knowledge I gathered and aggressive saving habit, I am looking at 8 more years of work before I let the investment income take over and become self-insured for the rest of my life. I may have to work longer to take care of the female parent but that will be OK.

The thing that irks me the most is to see someone in the family does stupid things or make uninformed decisions and still treats me like a kid. If the norm is being broke and work for whole life without anything to show for it, then I am happy to be abnormal.

If you are someone's parent or guardians, please don't just think it would be OK as long as your child is doing better than you are. That is far from enough. Be a grown-up so you can show your kids how wise decisions are made. And you also need to keep learning to exercise your mind in order to adapt the new information and be more capable to keep open mind.

That begged the reply:

rufflesinc posted:

that would your mom right?

he replied with this:

sclantw posted:

When I am mad at my mom, that's what I call her.

LOL

donsho posted:

Don't recall my parents actually teaching about money so I learned by watching...watching them unabashedly squander every cent they made, and then some. I recall one experiment they ran back in the '70s, to see how many credit cards they could possibly get. You can guess the result. But while I have lived -more or less- a modest lifestyle and saved my money throughout my adult life, they're continually having their last laugh; never having put away a cent, my parents find themselves with more money now than they had during their working lives, largely due to my father's pension from his civil service career. So it's still new cars and restaurant dining every day for them while my wife needles me because we've never taken a cruise...

HKnight posted:

My father made a lot of money trading stocks in the 80s. A proponent of technical analysis, he believed that he could predict a stock's future movements by looking at a chart of its past movements. He lost a lot of money over the next three decades trading stocks. To this day, he continues to trade and becomes hostile whenever I suggest that his success was due to luck and a bull market. He remains hostile to the idea of benchmarking his performance against an index, and when I finally convinced him to let me track his top 5 current "best" trades a few years ago, when his performance started to lag the index by about 10% over the course of a few months, he stopped telling me about his trading activity. Had it not been for my mother reining him in over the years, I suspect he would have bankrupted the family several times over.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phone posted:

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback - Probably had cruise
1996 Mazda Miata - No cruise
1994 Mazda Miata - No cruise
2012 Mazda 2 - Had cruise
1992 Lexus SC300 - Had cruise (until we ripped it out)
2016 Mazda Miata - Has cruise
2006 Chevy Silverado - No cruise
2010 Sym Symba scooter - No cruise :(

A car not coming with cruise is pretty easy to fall into. It's less common these days, but most super entry level cars (like the Mazda2) didn't come with cruise standard unless if you went a trim level up. It's fairly inexcusable now considering that the old systems were vacuum operated and had dozens of ways to fail and the current tech is electronic throttle, so it's literally a $20 control box and $10 in switches for the steering wheel controls. Retrofitting cruise control is just as expensive and a pain in the rear end as it was in the past.

I'm curious how entry level cars are going to change for MY2018 because of the federal mandate for back up cameras on all new cars.

Hell, the entry-level Jeeps these days don't even have AC as standard.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I forgot the best part if Georgia kid'so wild 10 days. They busted him because he went back to the same bank to withdraw more money.

quote:

donsho posted:
Don't recall my parents actually teaching about money so I learned by watching...watching them unabashedly squander every cent they made, and then some. I recall one experiment they ran back in the '70s, to see how many credit cards they could possibly get. You can guess the result. But while I have lived -more or less- a modest lifestyle and saved my money throughout my adult life, they're continually having their last laugh; never having put away a cent, my parents find themselves with more money now than they had during their working lives, largely due to my father's pension from his civil service career. So it's still new cars and restaurant dining every day for them while my wife needles me because we've never taken a cruise...

So they were reckless with money and now have more than ever, while their loser son toils and saves but never gets to take a cruise?

Also lol @ "needling wife"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm not sure if this is GWM or BWM, but I'll let you guys decide. My undergrad degree is in Finance.

One year ago I took out a $15,000 refinance loan against my car at 2.75% for 60 months during a period of time that the S&P had JUST taken a hit (September 2015). With that money I paid off a loan on that same car of $10,000. The original loan on that car was for $23,000 at 1.25% for 60 months and about $407 monthly payments. Basically I intentionally committed two financial sins of both extending my period of payment and at a higher rate. This essentially increased my total interest payable by ~$620. It also lowered my monthly payment to $268.

On September 14th, 2015 I invested the remaining $5,000 into an index fund calculating that I would need to net an annualized return of 3% to come out ahead (I had actually calculated this prior to taking out the refinance loan). Something I thought I could easily do, particularly given my understanding of the economy at the time. Since that date, my investment has grown by 10.9% and I am currently $75 from the break-even mark. Over the next four years this investment needs to average <.5% in order to break even with the original loan. If it continues to grow at my annualized modest target of 3% I will have covered the full cost of not just the refinance loan, but will have actually turned a tidy profit even with the interest paid on the original car loan factored in. Again, all of this I knew was possible prior to taking out the refinance loan.

At the time I had posted this scheme because I wanted a sanity check that I hadn't missed anything. People told me I was really, really stupid to do this but no one could elaborate why. They were pretty adamant though. But since no one could elaborate why, refute my numbers, or provide externalities I hadn't thought of, I did it anyway.

So, question. GWM or BWM?

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 27, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

What have your parents taught you about money?

There's this guy...

That begged the reply:

he replied with this:

LOL

My parents were pretty careful and smart about money so naturally I rebelled against them and racked up $7000 in credit card debt, aw ya fuk u dad

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

So they were reckless with money and now have more than ever, while their loser son toils and saves but never gets to take a cruise?

Also lol @ "needling wife"

More like "The American system used to be set up in a way where you didn't have to be very careful for your entire life to have a good retirement and now that seems like a comedic irony/cosmic injustice rather than the way things really should be for everyone"

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

You gambled and won.

You're lucky while being BWM.

In my opinion.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VendaGoat posted:

You gambled and won.

You're lucky while being BWM.

In my opinion.

If that's the prevailing opinion, my question would be the following.

Would you recommend that people pay down very low interest rate loans or invest for retirement if they're at no default of risk (not a large debt burden compared to income)? Because that's essentially what happened.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Boon posted:

I'm not sure if this is GWM or BWM, but I'll let you guys decide. My undergrad degree was in Finance.

So, question. GWM or BWM?

What if the market goes down? It's dropped by ~50% twice in the past two decades (2000 and 2008.)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Boon posted:

If that's the prevailing opinion, my question would be the following.

Would you recommend that people pay down very low interest rate loans or invest for retirement if they're at no default of risk (not a large debt burden compared to income)? Because that's essentially what happened.

They, being whomsoever reads this, will decide their own risk tolerance. And decide for themselves.

You won kid, enjoy it.

Many others are not so fortunate.

Enjoy the Irony of the actor in this gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Took some digging, but here's a pretty famous thread from Bogleheads about a guy who borrowed to invest in the stock market in 2008, continued buying all the way down, and ended up with a negative net worth of ~$200K. It's 29 pages so make some popcorn and pour yourself a beverage or two beforehand.

• Locked thread