Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

If it's like other internships they do the menial work that the company doesn't want to pay a secretary/runner to do. THen at the end of the internship they get hired on at minimum wage because they "really showed us something!"

My company used an intern to see if we actually needed another IT guy before having to commit to a Real One

(We so did but management wasn't convinced)

e: To be fair it was a paid internship, but I don't think he got any benefits or anything and the pay wasn't very good :shrug:

e2: I just remembered that that guy was gonna vote for Gary Johnson and was super excited about him and told everyone to go look him up because he's super rad so he kinda had it coming

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I'd had a Huffington Post thing about how many stay-at-home moms are getting involved in MLMs open in my browser for weeks because I thought it would be interesting. Turns out it is, but because it's just a bad ad for the idea of MLMs.

Someone who is definitely not already deep in this poo poo posted:

There are no pyramid schemes, despite so many wanting to tag them as such, because you see - pyramid schemes are illegal. A lot of these businesses are multi level marketing which is what people are misinformed about. The MLM set up is why they are working with such success. They are set up in such a way to help the small business owner have a huge potential for financial success.

Think of your traditional brick and mortar business where people aren’t “afraid” of a scheme. Is there a manager that helps assist people at their job? Does that person have a boss? And does that boss have an overseeing boss or manager? And so on, and so forth?

Yes. Yes. Yes. And absolutely YES.

Now do those managers, bosses and CEO’s depend upon their staff to do their jobs diligently in order for their business and companies to be successful?

Yup.

Now anyone who is a motivated individual, would they want to move up in their company? Would they like more pay and higher success?

I would hope that every single working individual would answer yes to this.

Likewise, if these people like their job, do they talk about it? If you personally go to a restaurant you like, do you tell your friends about it? If you find a store whose clothing you have fallen in love with, do you share it? What about a new recipe you just tried that your family enjoyed...you probably have shared this with your co-workers and friends, no?

If this is the case, then every single one of us are involved in some type of pyramid scheme. God help us all.

Selling for an MLM: Just like telling your friends about a restaurant you like except you're also an ENTREPRENEUR.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

If this is the case, then every single one of us are involved in some type of pyramid scheme. God help us all.

Capitalism is the ultimate pyramid scheme, yes :colbert:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
That reminds me I have to take pictures of the children's book that was written for children of Amway parents - "Just wait 'till we're diamond" I found it in a thrift store for 25 cents.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 24, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pathetic little tramp posted:

That reminds me I have to take pictures of the children's book that was written for children of Amway parents - "Just wait 'till we're diamond" I found it in a thrift store for 25 cents.

Hahaha holy gently caress go do it right now please that sounds amazing.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo, YES. do it now

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lmao please do

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

defectivemonkey posted:

I'd had a Huffington Post thing about how many stay-at-home moms are getting involved in MLMs open in my browser for weeks because I thought it would be interesting. Turns out it is, but because it's just a bad ad for the idea of MLMs.

Selling for an MLM: Just like telling your friends about a restaurant you like except you're also an ENTREPRENEUR.

I'm betting dollars to donuts, it's "sponsored" article. Although it's not immediately marked as such. See example

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 24, 2016

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Lol Huffpo is 100% garbage, sponsored or otherwise.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It's not sponsored. That's from Huffington Post's guest blogger section where you can blog for free for "exposure" instead of money. She's a "mommy blogger" who has her own site about jesus, being a mom, and MLMs.

Providing revenue generating content to a million dollar media empire for free: BWM.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Spending 25 cents on that book would be good with money. The conversations it could start alone would provide 10's of dollars of entertainment value.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I feel for my coworker, but her decisions are all so bad. Her mom was some kind of alcoholic and her Dad died when she was really young. Her mom helped her get this house and is not good with money, but is trying to buy forgiveness after not talking to her daughter for 6 years.

My other coworkers all cheered her on and encouraged her to buy the house and get the wedding loan because "You only do it once! Make it memorable! It's your special day! Don't take no for an answer!"

I briefly tried to encourage her not to get a loan for a wedding and to not put major charges on the credit card when you are already thousands of dollars in debt (hundreds of thousands of dollars if you include both their student loans and mortgage) on a 28k income. But then I became the dream crusher and was not going to get into a fight with my boss (who was really adamant about advising her to go big) about weddings.

Everyone in my office is a middle-aged woman except for my younger woman coworker and one middle-aged man. They are all obsessed with encouraging her to go bigger and better and telling her how they missed out on one aspect of their wedding and how it is tacky to not have this aspect of a wedding and they really regretted not spending more on their own weddings. It's terrible.

Obviously you need to join in on this, and recommend that her wedding has a horse.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

BarbarianElephant posted:

That was me. The tax officials *did* have official ID, they just jumped back like Count Dracula facing garlic when I tried to take a picture of it so I could check later that they were the real deal. Seems dumb since I have no idea what the state tax ID cards look like and an official looking fake ID would have looked fine to me. It seemed to me like that is exactly what a scammer would do, so I didn't let them in, because they hadn't sent anything in the mail or phoned us beforehand to say they were coming.

We eventually sorted it out, it was an issue where we had paid the tax but although it showed up in their system as "received" it didn't show up as "paid" so they thought we had paid nothing with no explanation. And they thought they had sent letters about it, but we never got them, so who knows if they did or not. We have a similar address to a nearby building and they are always getting our mail so it was probably that. Turning up at our doorstep was a last resort for them, because they thought there was no other way to contact us.

Interesting glad it worked out okay and that makes sense, sometimes a cavalcade of errors happens which makes such a weird situation possible.

Also whenever I think of internships now I just think of this scene from the move Nightcrawler... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHha67jRJA4

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Obviously you need to join in on this, and recommend that her wedding has a horse.

Every guest gets their own individual horse to sit on during the ceremony and take home as a fun gift!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
My phone doesn't take the best pictures in low light and I'm not great at taking photos anyway so some of these may be a little grainy before I figured out turning on the flash really helps, but they're readable.

Just wait till we're diamond is the story of Reed, a poor little demon-faced child with a head the size of a watermelon, thinking back on her life till now as she sleeps in a hotel suite on the eve of her parents' diamondising. It hits quite a few little MLM tropes, I think my favourite drawing is the one of her parents having no will to live as they look at all those fukken bills

A

B

C

D

E

F

1A

1B

edit: I liked the circles on a blackboard drawing so I went back and took another photo to do it justice.

1C

1D

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 24, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My phone doesn't take the best pictures in low light and I'm not great at taking photos anyway so some of these may be a little grainy before I figured out turning on the flash really helps, but they're readable.

Just wait till we're diamond is the story of Reed, a poor little demon-faced child with a head the size of a watermelon, thinking back on her life till now as she sleeps in a hotel suite on the eve of her parents' diamondising. It hits quite a few little MLM tropes, I think my favourite drawing is the one of her parents having no will to live as they look at all those fukken bills

A

B

C

D

E

F

1A

1B

edit: I liked the circles on a blackboard drawing so I went back and took another photo to do it justice.

1C

1D

Oh my god those faces are pure nightmare fuel this is more amazing than I could have ever imagined :five:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"HEY KIDS, LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE CIRCLES"
/

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
That is some terrifyingly amazing mind-control bullshit, thank you so so so so much.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Holy poo poo I thought you were kidding.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Hey kids, support your parent's Diamond dreams and you can go swimming and be Diamond and buy lots of stuff and eat fancy food and watch your Diamond parents walk out of a silver limo and see people throw roses because they're Diamond but while you're waiting for that you can make pretty drawings of your BIG DREAMS. Diamond.

So basically the exact same things the adults getting suckered into MLM dream of & do dumb motivational things for, just phrased with smaller words. Kind of puts it in perspective.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Hey kids, support your parent's Diamond dreams and you can go swimming and be Diamond and buy lots of stuff and eat fancy food and watch your Diamond parents walk out of a silver limo and see people throw roses because they're Diamond but while you're waiting for that you can make pretty drawings of your BIG DREAMS. Diamond.

So basically the exact same things the adults getting suckered into MLM dream of & do dumb motivational things for, just phrased with smaller words. Kind of puts it in perspective.

You can help mommy and daddy most by shutting up and accepting that they have to neglect you to realize dreams and you should be happy with that because you'll be a Diamond!

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
That turkeys not even in any packaging. It's just a smoked turkey on his boss's desk.

"I appreciate the job, but I just don't need it any more. But Before I go, I'm going to watch you eat this entire loving turkey," dad said as he held the gun to his boss's temple. "Once you're done, you can shove this watch up your rear end."

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

A

B

C

D

E

F

1A

1B

1C

1D

lmao thank you so much

cooter64 posted:

That turkeys not even in any packaging. It's just a smoked turkey on his boss's desk.

"I appreciate the job, but I just don't need it any more. But Before I go, I'm going to watch you eat this entire loving turkey," dad said as he held the gun to his boss's temple. "Once you're done, you can shove this watch up your rear end."

lmao at this too

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Bad With Money: Just Wait 'til We're Diamond

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
That may be one of the most horrifying things I have ever seen.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

cooter64 posted:

This scene seems like it would feature on shittynewyorkercartooncaptions.tumblr.com

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Bad With Money: Just Wait 'til We're Diamond

Oh man this is the best update to this thread in a while. Thanks for taking the time to post all the photos.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

What the ever loving gently caress.

Thank you for posting this.

Humphrey Appleby
Oct 30, 2013

Knowledge only means complicity in guilt; ignorance has a certain dignity.
I give the book 9/10 because she did not get a Pony at the end.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Humphrey Appleby posted:

I give the book 9/10 because she did not get a Pony at the end.

But the end is the beginning!

... is there a second book?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That's amazing. It flat out presents child neglect as both necessary and good.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
When they're diamond, they can afford to outsource their parenting.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Mom slept quietly, like a lady.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Christ. "She learned to sit quietly while mom and dad talked on the phone."

mlm: learned helplessness and emotional neglect for your children while you chase material wealth! Also, it can't be a pyramid scheme when it's circles, duh

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

BRAVO! What a great/terrible book!

I liked when she fell asleep at her parents award ceremony! Ungrateful little turd.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

"Reed was getting tired of hearing about going Diamond and told her Mom. Her Mom gave her a shiner. After that Reed learned to never complain."

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

e: I missed this last page. Forget about wedding chat. Just wait till we're diamond!

pig slut lisa posted:

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 24, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

"It's totally not a pyramid scheme bro."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

• Locked thread