Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
A thing to keep in mind about why crossfit is so expensive is it isn't just a place for you to show up and work out on equipment and maybe use their towels. That monthly fee typically includes unlimited classes, which use at least one trainer that needs to be paid. While it's super expensive, if you use it to its fullest it's a lot cheaper than hiring a personal trainer for one-on-one sessions, which can run $70 to $100 per session in an urban area.

For some people, the classes are a big part of a motivation to keep going, giving it a structure, versus just having the freedom to show up to the gym to do whatever for $40 a month, but really not having any particular structure to it.

(I don't do crossfit but I can see the logic in it if it's not taking away from your IRA or 401k contributions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I dunno, paying 4 to 5 times the cost of a normal gym for a workout routine that's more likely to injure you seems both BWM and BWL.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

In Boston there's a company that does this called "Deathwish Piano Movers" that also moves all sorts of giant heavy expensive stuff. I can only imagine how much that it costs to hoist a piano out of one apartment and into another.

*triggered*

If you live in an apartment and own a piano, you are an rear end in a top hat. My first apartment living experience, my downstairs neighbor not only had a piano, but was a piano teacher. She'd have students in on the weekends and they would play the same pieces over and over and over and over and over, this would go on for 6-8 hours a day depending on how many students she had. You really can't escape or muffle the sound of a piano in an apartment building, either. Earplug didn't help. Saddest thing is, of the half dozen or so apartments I've lived in, she was still one of my least obnoxious neighbors.

BWL: apartment living in a college town

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

WampaLord posted:

I dunno, paying 4 to 5 times the cost of a normal gym for a workout routine that's more likely to injure you seems both BWM and BWL.

Don't work out, you can get injured, got it. Die of heart disease early instead and leave riches for your heirs.

Again, I was comparing it to personal training - in an urban area you're talking about $200+ a week for that if it's 3x a week. CrossFit may be BWM but it's not that BWM.

Do you live the life of an aesthetic monk or do you have any hobbies or vices that cost more than $100?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Crossfit injuries can be crippling. Being crippled instead of dying is BWM.

Investing is a great hobby but it doesn't really take that much time. You could take the path of the book Pay Zero Taxes which is about converting your hobbies into tax write offs. One example is have a hobby racing cars. Of course you run your hobby like a business with cards, sponsors and so on with the intent of making profit. That way you get a massive tax write off on your hobby.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

Don't work out, you can get injured, got it. Die of heart disease early instead and leave riches for your heirs.

Again, I was comparing it to personal training - in an urban area you're talking about $200+ a week for that if it's 3x a week. CrossFit may be BWM but it's not that BWM.

Do you live the life of an aesthetic monk or do you have any hobbies or vices that cost more than $100?

His point was Crossfit has a really bad track record around people getting injured doing stuff they aren't physically ready for like kipping pullups or aren't trained well enough in like olympic lifts in situations that causes form breakdown like doing them for time, not that working out itself is bad.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Oh no, derail bird come baaack!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Moneyball posted:

You called?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Yes this was clearly my point, which is why I compared the cost of it to a normal gym.

Moneyball posted:

Oh calm down if 3 or 4 posts move away from the topic, it's not the end of the world.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5fg9lo/shoppingspending_addict_ready_to_clean_up_my_act/

Nothing particularly juicy, just someone that spends all of their income on bullshit and is in a bunch of CC debt.

WampaLord posted:

Oh calm down if 3 or 4 posts move away from the topic, it's not the end of the world.

Especially when it's actually pretty topical.

Crossfit when compared to being disciplined to work out regularly in a typical gym (or for cheaper at home or outdoors) is BWM but if spending a ton of cash for a fancy box is what keeps you off the couch doing nothing, it's ultimately GWM and GWL. Provided you don't maim yourself.

Barry fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 29, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5fk7gz/leaving_the_country_to_escape_debt/

lol I want to run away to Mexico to avoid student loans. This is probably more a condemnation of our lovely education system than it is of this misguided poster but drat dude, take a deep breath.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Nail Rat posted:

Don't work out, you can get injured, got it.

Not very well versed on working out and exercise, I take it? Because yeah you missed his point entirely. Also, yes personal trainers are absolutely bad with money, it's a gigantic waste that amounts to nothing more than "I am lazy, tax me."

That in itself is an extremely common facet of many things that are bwm

And yeah don't abuse the derail bird when the conversation clearly centers on poor financial choices, guys. We're gonna need some sort of derail derail bird at this rate.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 29, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

KingSlime posted:

Not very well versed on working out and exercise, I take it? Because yeah you missed his point entirely. Also, yes personal trainers are absolutely bad with money, it's a gigantic waste that amounts to nothing more than "I am lazy, tax me."

I work out five times a week, but I've never gone to crossfit, so I guess it depends what you mean on being well-versed on working out and exercise. I'm pretty clueless on crossfit other than the fact it's all about the dumb classes where you race through everything. Not really a fan of the concept, which is why I've never tried it.

WampaLord posted:

Yes this was clearly my point, which is why I compared the cost of it to a normal gym.

When you compare it to the cost of a normal gym, sure, but...

quote:

Crossfit when compared to being disciplined to work out regularly in a typical gym (or for cheaper at home or outdoors) is BWM but if spending a ton of cash for a fancy box is what keeps you off the couch doing nothing, it's ultimately GWM and GWL. Provided you don't maim yourself.

This is what I'm getting at. I wasn't sure if the rumors of crossfit injuries are overblown or not, but I think if an extra $120 or so a month is what gets someone off their fat rear end, and they're hitting all their other financial targets, it's not any worse than someone buying a couple videogames or shopping somewhere other than a thrift store for clothing or getting a cleaning service (another thing I would consider a waste, but a lot of smart people who are otherwise good with money will do and swear by). But getting crippled is expensive so I guess you have to factor that in.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Barry posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5fk7gz/leaving_the_country_to_escape_debt/

lol I want to run away to Mexico to avoid student loans. This is probably more a condemnation of our lovely education system than it is of this misguided poster but drat dude, take a deep breath.
Deleted already. I get that their mods don't want a billion "how can I not pay my loans/taxes using "creative" methods" posts, but the fact that basically all the replies are saying "don't do it" seems educational enough that it should have stayed.

quote:

Aside from the issues mentioned in the article /u/sir-draknor shared, "forever" is a really long time and you don't want to close the door on your home country forever...you really don't.
Probably the best one. It's like a little kid running away from home because mom grounded them - it seems like a good idea on impulse, but quickly turns bad once they realize what they've actually signed up for. Only worse, because at least the kid can come back home and not end up with a nuked credit score, even higher loan balances than they started with, and possible legal trouble.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

but I think if an extra $120 or so a month is what gets someone off their fat rear end, and they're hitting all their other financial targets, it's not any worse than someone buying a couple videogames or shopping somewhere other than a thrift store for clothing or getting a cleaning service

Fair enough, I can agree with that. But I'd also argue that if you have your financial affairs in order, then you're not BWM at all and can go hog wild if it fits within your financial goals (basically, not the type of people this thread focuses on). Being GWM doesn't equal to penny-pinching.

As far as injuries go, yeah they're a bit overblown (like anything on the internet), but it's a real issue, watch a couple of videos and cringe in pain at the poo poo that they have completely inexperienced people doing during their sessions. People who refuse to take an afternoon to research fitness, work out plans, proper form, realistic goals, etc. Plus. the "culture" around it is kinda cultish, which is definitely a red flag for me.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 29, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
An ascetic monk abstains from material pleasures.

An aesthetic monk is a photogenic guy in designer robes.

-

Also yeah, you pretty much have to make the choice of "butter veins" or "herniated disc" at some point in your life. But you get to be sexy as gently caress if you with the exercise route, so it's the better one.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Sure, I was a little quick to call on the derail bird, but I've spent enough time in YLLS* to know the Crossfit derails arguments always go terribly. Give me wedding or car chat any day.

But everybody post what you want. Just my two cents. :shobon:

*should have spent that time actually working out. :btroll:

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 29, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also yeah, you pretty much have to make the choice of "butter veins" or "herniated disc" at some point in your life. But you get to be sexy as gently caress if you with the exercise route, so it's the better one.

You get more sex (usually). Literally the only reason to do anything, ever.

Also, sex is pretty BWM now that I think about it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Plus, sex can lead to children and that's a whole other can of BWM.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Welp I guess we can fill a couple pages with kidchat orrr

Bask in the sadness of this most welcome guest in the BWM thread: a horse-owner. Who rented their horse out for a music video. Which is not a bad idea in and of itself cause we've established by now a horse is EXPENSIVE AS gently caress.

Turns out though, if you're kinda heavy - like Rick Ross is - and don't have a clue about riding/mounting/dismounting a horse that may be a bad idea for the horse cause it broke its back and died. GWM: Ross is paying for the funeral.

Poor Freckles, thought of some sick beats and died..

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Old Binsby posted:

Welp I guess we can fill a couple pages with kidchat orrr

Bask in the sadness of this most welcome guest in the BWM thread: a horse-owner. Who rented their horse out for a music video. Which is not a bad idea in and of itself cause we've established by now a horse is EXPENSIVE AS gently caress.

Turns out though, if you're kinda heavy - like Rick Ross is - and don't have a clue about riding/mounting/dismounting a horse that may be a bad idea for the horse cause it broke its back and died. GWM: Ross is paying for the funeral.

Poor Freckles, thought of some sick beats and died..

Amazing. That "article" is 4 sentences and they are all great.

quote:

“HE SAID HE WEIGHED 200 POUNDS, BUT OUR HORSE’S BACK DETERMINED THAT WAS A LIE.”

quote:

Rick Ross went and got a 20 piece lemon pepper after the accident like nothing happened which really upset the couple.

quote:

“SOMETIMES YOU JUST GOTTA THROW THE WHOLE HORSE AWAY.”

Switchback fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 30, 2016

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Moneyball posted:

Sure, I was a little quick to call on the derail bird, but I've spent enough time in YLLS* to know the Crossfit derails arguments always go terribly. Give me wedding or car chat any day.

So are cross fit weddings a thing?

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

The Kestrel
Dec 16, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

glaze wistfully upon your equine equity.

Sour Kareem glaze?

Has anyone said equinity yet?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Kestrel posted:

Sour Kareem glaze?

Has anyone said equinity yet?

Yes, it is thread jargon.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I just learned an in-law's uncle just dropped $8k on a 419 Nigerian email scam.

Before that, he spent a bunch on a mail-order bride (again transparently a scam)... while he was living in my in-laws' in-law's house.

Best part - he apparently took out a loan on the tractor he uses for a living as a truck driver to get the money :cripes:

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Crossfist/high expense community trainer led gyms can become a bit of a money saver for some. When I went to one I did a lot of my socializing there and when I hung out or did events with people from there it was typically free or low budget activities. They also usually happened on Saturday or Sunday mornings which lessened the amount of times I would go out drinking. It also usually is a much better workout then going to the gym by yourself unless you can prioritize very well. That being said I have no gym membership right now and work out by mountain biking and am going to soon purchase a road bike which is a VERY expensive hobby.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My friend started a crossfit gym and it is pretty GWM. He also shills out Advocare to his members because they eat that poo poo up because it is a cult. He spends his time crossfitting and doing improv theater. Living the dream I guess

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

lmao.

Getting in shape is good in the long term as long as it is practical and within your budget. Crossfit is dumb and bad and makes people get the rhabdo sometimes but if it is in your budget to spend a lot on a gym and also get an occasianal hospital visit to fix your rhabdo induced kidney failure then that is fine.

I spend $64 a month on a gym I can walk to where I lift weights.
I spend about $120 a month going to orange theory gyms for planned HIIT workouts so I don't have to plan them myself.
I have a carbon road bike for which I like to shop for upgrades.

Come at me bro.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

C.H.O.M.E posted:

I spend $64 a month on a gym I can walk to where I lift weights.
I spend about $120 a month going to orange theory gyms for planned HIIT workouts so I don't have to plan them myself.
I have a carbon road bike for which I like to shop for upgrades.

Come at me bro.

counterpoint:

quote:

i am huge nerd so i bought soylent and i am eating it for a few days

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

I just learned an in-law's uncle just dropped $8k on a 419 Nigerian email scam.

Before that, he spent a bunch on a mail-order bride (again transparently a scam)... while he was living in my in-laws' in-law's house.

Best part - he apparently took out a loan on the tractor he uses for a living as a truck driver to get the money :cripes:

But Prince Joe Eboe said he would transfer $35m into his bank account.

People are way to trusting of everything they read online. Scams, conspiracy theories and anti-vaxers seem to be increasing in number all the time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I drank soylent for 4 months and grew breasts.

I also gained like 40 pounds though so that might be the real culprit.

Soylent with some chocolate protein and concentrated coffee is delicious breakfast though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I drank soylent for 4 months and grew breasts.

I also gained like 40 pounds though so that might be the real culprit.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Bad With Money - Just wait till we're DD!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
A $40 a month unused gym membership is BWM; a gym membership of any cost that is used and enjoyed is rarely BWM.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

A $40 a month unused gym membership is BWM; a gym membership of any cost that is used and enjoyed is rarely BWM.

What about a gym. . . . for horses!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
From a post about people being assholes when parking their cars:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rage/comments/5fn27b/insane_neighbor_will_stop_at_nothing_to_reserve/daltj7s/

quote:

My uncle was one of these people. He hated people parking in front of his house so much he bought three new cars to park in front of his own house so no one else could.
When he died, I got a 10 year old Chevy Malibu with less than 200 miles on it.

lol

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Wow that's amazing. Like why is it so bothersome to you that someone else parks in front of your house?!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wow that's amazing. Like why is it so bothersome to you that someone else parks in front of your house?!
People are posessive. They also put up "private beach" signs among others on public property in front of their houses.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

GWM: Costco sells 24 Hour Fitness memberships. One year is $399 ($33 a month) and two years is $649 ($27). Good value if it fits your schedule and location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I had a neighbor like that once. They put up a sign that said "you take-a my space, I break-a your face." They had a hideous new 600k square house on a 400k bungalow street and two European cars.

I parked in "their" spot as often as I could. Seattle property owners go gently caress yourselves.

• Locked thread