Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not American; basically nobody imports my country's culture.

It was a civ5 joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

silvergoose posted:

It was a civ5 joke.

Ah. Thanks.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just leased an econobox based on a leasehackr.com deal a few weeks ago. $2,778 (or $2,078 if you include the $700 Costco cash card) for a 2 year, 30k mile lease, including first year of registration, TT&L.

An effective cost of ~$86/mo, plus insurance of $20/mo, plus $60 in gas makes it $26/mo more expensive than my local bus pass. No disposition fee, all maintenance is included in the lease, and tires won't need to be replaced within 30k miles. Suck it, buyailures.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Radbot posted:

Just leased an econobox based on a leasehackr.com deal a few weeks ago. $2,778 (or $2,078 if you include the $700 Costco cash card) for a 2 year, 30k mile lease, including first year of registration, TT&L.

An effective cost of ~$86/mo, plus insurance of $20/mo, plus $60 in gas makes it $26/mo more expensive than my local bus pass. No disposition fee, all maintenance is included in the lease, and tires won't need to be replaced within 30k miles. Suck it, buyailures.

What exactly is an econobox? If its anything like the box I live in behind costco you got ripped off, fat catte.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
A 2016 Chevy Cruze LT1. It's got everything I want - remote entry, bluetooth, etc. so I can't really complain.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

How on God's Green Earth are you getting full coverage for anywhere approaching $20 a month? Is it FBN insurance? (Fly By Night)

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Sound the humblebrag alarm.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BloodBag posted:

How on God's Green Earth are you getting full coverage for anywhere approaching $20 a month? Is it FBN insurance? (Fly By Night)

I was surprised too, but having a house and another car on the policy probably explains it. I'm with State Farm.

Electrical Fire posted:

Sound the humblebrag alarm.

I guess the folks talking about how they can stretch $200 in groceries for four people over a whole month are humblebragging, too.

More importantly, I think it shows that leasing doesn't have to be a bad deal, even though the very subject is assumed to make you BWM here.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Subjunctive posted:

People don't rent AirBnB where they live, so presumably people visiting from other less-petro places for a bit of downmarket disaster tourism.

Yeah but if jobs and businesses are being lost, I'm betting short term accommodations won't be in short supply.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Radbot posted:

I guess the folks talking about how they can stretch $200 in groceries for four people over a whole month are humblebragging, too.

Yeah, they are, and it's about as interesting to read about as your lease.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Electrical Fire posted:

Yeah, they are, and it's about as interesting to read about as your lease.

You've got a very interesting definition of "humblebrag". Harris Wittels would have a word with you, if he could.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
BMW money - Sister in Law edition continues. I think I posted earlier in this thread about them building a lowest quality possibly house out in the middle of nowhere on 5 acres. This whole process has been plagued with various problems due to their cheaping out from the badly laid gravel driveway getting washed out during the heavy november rains to this week: We learn that my SIL doesn't actually want to live in the middle of nowhere and shes super depressed about this. Her husband has like a 2 hour commute and she is terrified of being alone in the woods with her kids. Also my BIL hates his current job but can't even look for another because their construction loan will have to turn into a regular fixed rate and he can't really change jobs during this process or they risk not getting the 30year fixed.

I allllmost feel bad but then I remember they did this to themselves.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Radbot posted:

I was surprised too, but having a house and another car on the policy probably explains it. I'm with State Farm.

More importantly, I think it shows that leasing doesn't have to be a bad deal, even though the very subject is assumed to make you BWM here.

The trick is to make it seem like you're responding to something instead of just showing up to say how awesome you are.

Is $20 insurance actually possible? gently caress. Canadian insurance is so expensive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Radbot posted:

And yet, here it is unprovoked in the BWM thread.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
BWM: Get In On The Ground Floor

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/45z0rj/19_and_making_about_100k_more_than_last_year_help/

Dude is 19, day trading, thinking his success will sustain and already planning traveling abroad and going to a school for $70k/yr. Pump the brakes there junior.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Subjunctive posted:

And yet, here it is unprovoked in the BWM thread.

Hardly. I was actually a guest appearance in this thread when I forgot to assume the balance of my previous lease in the "debt" column of a previous personal finance post.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Radbot posted:

Hardly. I was actually a guest appearance in this thread when I forgot to assume the balance of my previous lease in the "debt" column of a previous personal finance post.

I don't see what that has to do with what you posted. Will you keep us up to date on great sales you find, too?

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Radbot posted:

Maybe lurk more and get a feel for the thread before you barge in to brag about your lease? You're supposed to be posting BWM. That's the theme. At least drop in a reddit post before you attempt to shoehorn in poo poo we don't care about.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Also 40 miles/day mileage limit doesn't seem like a good deal, what if you want to go pretty much anywhere?

Lololol at being a tourist in Houston. I stopped by my old city last year to be a "tourist" and see some old friends and 2 hours into enjoying my old stomping ground, i got a visit from the welcoming committee (all my luggage was stolen). Hope these airbnbs have security..

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Radbot posted:

The reason why there are ridiculous deals on those cars is that they sell poorly, depreciate badly, and are basically forced into existence by EPA fleet MPG regulations. So thank the government for overregulating your vehicle and the subsequent desperation lease deal offered at the end of the model year cycle into existence.

Jan 11, 2004

Switchback posted:

Also 40 miles/day mileage limit doesn't seem like a good deal, what if you want to go pretty much anywhere?

You can buy more miles from the lease company or rent a similar econobox for $10-20/day if you need to go on a long driving trip somewhere.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hah, this thread. "What if you want to go anywhere??" on a lease that has more than the average amount of driven miles per year.

And no, government regulation and OBUMMER don't make me feel bad about this deal, sorry.

Subjunctive posted:

I don't see what that has to do with what you posted. Will you keep us up to date on great sales you find, too?

Like I said, I was featured in this thread as a BWM superstar.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Radbot posted:

Like I said, I was featured in this thread as a BWM superstar.

If I feature you as a posting superstar, will you stop posting to prove me wrong?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Switchback posted:

Did I miss something? You are making it sound like he isn't allowed to drive more than 40 miles in any single day, which would of course be absurd. 30k miles over the course of two years is entirely reasonable, and from what I have seen is on the high end of lease mileage limits.

Planning to average over 40 miles per day and leasing a car would certainly be bad with money.

Depending on the situation, driving that much regardless of how you own your car could be considered bad with money, and arguably bad with life.

Jan 11, 2004

Radbot posted:

And no, government regulation and OBUMMER don't make me feel bad about this deal, sorry.

No, don't feel sorry about it, if the government we pay for is going to distort the auto manufacturing market might as well take advantage

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Bad with Money: when you live at home with your mom rent-free "to save money" but she's a hoarder and the kitchen is full of crap so you can't use the stove or most of the fridge meaning you have to eat out all the time, and the shower is broken so you have to have a gym membership that you only use for showering.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Trillian posted:

The trick is to make it seem like you're responding to something instead of just showing up to say how awesome you are.

Is $20 insurance actually possible? gently caress. Canadian insurance is so expensive.

I'm paying about that in Australia, maybe even a bit less. 30 years old, no accidents, and I don't have any collision on my car itself (a total beater), just third party property cover. I think the deductible is like $600?

Now, that doesn't include the compulsory third (and first) party medical insurance baked into the costs of registration, which work out to another $40-45/mo. Motorcycles larger than a scooter cost the same to register as a car for this reason; as a boring, responsible rider it blows because you're basically subsidising 19 year old idiots hooning themselves into telephone poles.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm paying about that in Australia, maybe even a bit less. 30 years old, no accidents, and I don't have any collision on my car itself (a total beater), just third party property cover. I think the deductible is like $600?

Now, that doesn't include the compulsory third (and first) party medical insurance baked into the costs of registration, which work out to another $40-45/mo. Motorcycles larger than a scooter cost the same to register as a car for this reason; as a boring, responsible rider it blows because you're basically subsidising 19 year old idiots hooning themselves into telephone poles.

If there is a note/lease on your car you typically are required to have full coverage. That's why his insurance rates are raising eyebrows.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Bad with Money: when you live at home with your mom rent-free "to save money" but she's a hoarder and the kitchen is full of crap so you can't use the stove or most of the fridge meaning you have to eat out all the time, and the shower is broken so you have to have a gym membership that you only use for showering.

Sounds more like bad/unfortunate with life.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You can easily get family policies to be super low with couple of things. I had an european driver licence before south carolina, so they lowered my rate after some begging. But you apparently should be able to achieve this with some sort of defensive driving course&poor weather driving course or some poo poo like that here.

I put always-on running lights on all vehicles, a Kia Rio 2008, a Hyosung sportsbike, and a 2004 Mustang GT, plus I paid 6 months ahead. Running lights on front and back apparently gets decent bucks off if there is no way to turn them off. Varies from compamy to company I've heard.

Full coverage for the whole poo poo is like 95 dollars a month for me and my wife, so you could reasonably count each vehicle to be 31 a month for full coverage.

No accidents either.

EDIT: I pay 104 a month total.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 16, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seeing as Radbot is super awesome at leasing, insurance, and posting, let's step onto the tracks with what leasing is all about. I present: the $40,000 Nissan Altima lease.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2873673&userid=81627

quote:

I was deceived for $8,000. And there's no way to renegotiate the contract. I've met the owner of the dealership, Joe, and he's not the type to bargain. If any of you plan on buying a car anytime soon, and it happens to be Smithtown Nissan in St. James, NY - don't. If you search around they're as shady as shady dealerships come.

Other posters chime in:

quote:

I looked at the image and it says the value of the car is $40,000. Did you not see that when you got the car?

quote:

You put $16,000 down on a LEASE? Do you understand the difference between leasing and financing a vehicle?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That is one of my favorite SA threads of all time. Too bad the scans of the lease itself aren't up any more.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Here's a goofy story out of Scotland:

quote:

Clare Lally only wanted her seven-year-old daughter, Katie, to be able to get out of their home safely. Katie uses a wheelchair but the local council – somewhat misunderstanding the concept of a wheelchair – had housed the family at the top of three flights of stairs. For two years, Lally campaigned for decent access for her daughter. What did her local council do? Move her to a ground level flat? No. Build a 60-metre steel ramp over the entire front garden at a cost of £40,000, which winds round for 10 levels from pavement to front door? Bingo!

lol

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Radbot posted:

You've got a very interesting definition of "humblebrag". Harris Wittels would have a word with you, if he could.

Don't worry, I got called out here for humblebragging too- :hf: Although I did add it to the end of a post about someone being bad with money.

I didn't get all offended and defensive, though.

VVV True, there was no shame attached

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 16, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's it still considered humble, when it's through a megaphone?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BloodBag posted:

Seeing as Radbot is super awesome at leasing, insurance, and posting, let's step onto the tracks with what leasing is all about. I present: the $40,000 Nissan Altima lease.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2873673&userid=81627

And I'm upset for getting ripped off by buying a year-old one CPO one with 30k miles for $16k (before taxes) last year. loving 8 hours of negotiations and massive time pressure to buy due to life stuff.

Also, what's with car prices pre and post tax? I had $2k worth of taxes to buy and register that vehicle in Chicago. Do most people give pre-tax values?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

baquerd posted:

And I'm upset for getting ripped off by buying a year-old one CPO one with 30k miles for $16k (before taxes) last year. loving 8 hours of negotiations and massive time pressure to buy due to life stuff.

Also, what's with car prices pre and post tax? I had $2k worth of taxes to buy and register that vehicle in Chicago. Do most people give pre-tax values?

Often they roll tax/title and license fees into your loan. It's actually better with money to just pay it separately unless you have a 0% interest loan.
SO CONGRATS ON YOUR HUMBLE BRAG MISTER PAYS TAX GUY

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

Often they roll tax/title and license fees into your loan. It's actually better with money to just pay it separately unless you have a 0% interest loan.
SO CONGRATS ON YOUR HUMBLE BRAG MISTER PAYS TAX GUY

I got the dealer to knock a hundred dollars off the TruCoat. How's that for a humblebrag.

Our state just started rolling ad valorem tax into the price of the car, while at the same time eliminating sales tax. Which I'm sure if bad with money from an interest standpoint, but also means you aren't paying $300 to $400 on your birthday for the next 3 to 4 years.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Oh my god this is so BORING, humble bragger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I got the dealer to knock a hundred dollars off the TruCoat. How's that for a humblebrag.

Our state just started rolling ad valorem tax into the price of the car, while at the same time eliminating sales tax. Which I'm sure if bad with money from an interest standpoint, but also means you aren't paying $300 to $400 on your birthday for the next 3 to 4 years.

Ad valorem taxes are a really stupid way to tax cars. Car tax should be related to weight, gas consumption, and/or emissions rather than the price of the car. IMO it is against the public interest that a new electric car is taxed more than a rusty old diesel pickup.

• Locked thread