Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Banks should send correspondence via emojis, I say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Those would be sad letters.

:derp::fireman::laffo::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
We have checked your credit rating :nexus:

We have considered your loan application :shepface:

:gary::yarg:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Ah great there's another one who moved to San Francisco at a tremendous personal expense to work for a startup in customer service:

https://medium.com/@jaymeesenigaglia/yelp-fired-a-single-mother-today-me-fe9c87e71be9#.wl14h8s63

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

FormatAmerica posted:

Ah great there's another one who moved to San Francisco at a tremendous personal expense to work for a startup in customer service:

https://medium.com/@jaymeesenigaglia/yelp-fired-a-single-mother-today-me-fe9c87e71be9#.wl14h8s63

quote:

I am the single mother who closed her 1st deal on her first pitch on her first day on the phones in Yelp Sales Training.

Good thing she was on their phone force because her editing suuuuuucks

quote:

I am the single mother who closed 17K in month one and 19K in month two. I am the single mother who gets to see her son for a few hours a night, pays $2500 in rent (I make 2k a month so YES, my family has to help and I am so sorry to burden them), pays $1200 a month in daycare (#yelpcares — no subsidy there)

So she signed up for a mathematical impossibility? What the hell?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

quote:

I am the single mother who took out a loan with 300% interest to move to SF to begin training December 1st at Yelp and uprooted my 3 year old from everything he knows.

:eyepop:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Who even loans money at 300%?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Payday lenders.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Yelp like a second tier Web 2.0 company? Would anyone go to these lengths to work for Target?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I don't know what to feel anymore. I'm sympathetic to her and her child and her brain bleeding boyfriend. But goddamn that's such a horrible life choice. Moving to a place where you can't afford to live, on a salary that wouldn't make ends meet in most of the country, with a three year old?

I really don't understand where this kind of choice comes from? Impoverish yourself for a dream when you're young and childless, fine. Doing that to a child? Not cool.

Whose dream is it to sell things for yelp by phone. What does yelp even sell? Ads? Some millennial please explain this to me.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

froglet posted:

This is just bizarre:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/riches-to-rags-a-family-made-homeless-from-a-credit-card-debt-20160226-gn4nc7.html

They clocked up 20k in debt, they could pay it off but didn't because one of them can't read and didn't understand the notices, then they got taken to court and forced into bankruptcy rather than the seizure and sale of their house (which would have easily paid off the debt).

Why would an illiterate person be dealing with mail at all?

"This looks like an ad from a car dealership; throw it out. This looks like an important legal document; throw it out."

Honestly, I think the illiteracy is just a red herring. He knows that words mean things. He chose to ignore it, and if he didn't know what "it" was, that's because he chose not to find out.

I believe the article also said the wife's income was government payments for being a disability carer; was that for her husband? If so, what kind of care are you providing for an illiterate if he's dealing with his own mail?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There are different levels of literacy. You can recognize a fair number of words in context, and sort junk mail, while being functionally illiterate. He might well have been dealing with his mail because it gave him a sense of pride and accomplishment to navigate the written word in a small way; many disabled people have to find those things in tasks you and I would consider trivial.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
I would think that he would at least be able to read numbers and see them going up month after month but welp

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

I would think that he would at least be able to read numbers and see them going up month after month but welp

Look at all this profit!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I wonder how you can set up high-end audio gear without reading the manual.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

quote:

I am the single mother who took out a loan with 300% interest to move to SF to begin training December 1st at Yelp and uprooted my 3 year old from everything he knows.

Good news, 3 year olds basically don't know anything and have like no longterm memory. This is literally the right time to move. Moving when your kid is 10 or 12 or 15 is way worse.

quote:

I am the single mother who gets to see her son for a few hours a night, pays $2500 in rent (I make 2k a month so YES, my family has to help and I am so sorry to burden them)

No, your family doesn't have to help. You're lucky they helped, when you made your poor choices.

The self-entitlement irks me here and I'm finding it hard to sympathize. It's a $30k a year job when her expenses are likely north of $60k, and it's not like the opportunities for advancement are great in customer service.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 1, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

BarbarianElephant posted:

I wonder how you can set up high-end audio gear without reading the manual.

By googling the... oh

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

It's not hard. Literally red-to-red, white-to-white. If you can recognize L and R, you're golden

Source: I know audiophiles

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nail Rat posted:

Good news, 3 year olds basically don't know anything and have like no longterm memory. This is literally the right time to move. Moving when your kid is 10 or 12 or 15 is way worse.

Isn't this also why you shouldn't take your kids to Disney World under a certain age since they won't remember any of it

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Thats why they say the first 5 years of a child's life is the most important for their long term development.
http://www.ccfc.ca.gov/parents/learning-center.aspx?id=9

EugeneJ posted:

Isn't this also why you shouldn't take your kids to Disney World under a certain age since they won't remember any of it

Nail Rat posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Those don't contradict.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Young children need security and stimuli for proper development.

This yelp lady's kid is probably not getting either.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Nail Rat posted:

No, your family doesn't have to help. You're lucky they helped, when you made your poor choices.

The self-entitlement irks me here and I'm finding it hard to sympathize. It's a $30k a year job when her expenses are likely north of $60k, and it's not like the opportunities for advancement are great in customer service.

So uh... How did she THINK she was going to literally triple (preferably quadruple) her salary, anyways?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

here's a gbs thread that will probably have some funny things posted: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766424

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Horking Delight posted:

So uh... How did she THINK she was going to literally triple (preferably quadruple) her salary, anyways?

If it's a sales position, there could be commission, right? Though I dunno what kind of scale each seller is operating on. Sure sounds closer to telemarketing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gather round children and let me tell you the tale of "The Craziest Client."

Had a landscaper in his mid-60's that was always super conservative with both his finances and political views. He did pretty well for himself and between he and his wife they had saved up about $400k in retirement funds (two IRA's {trad. and SEP} and a well funded 403(b)) as well as about $200k in non-qualified investments (mostly mutual funds, but we did have a small fixed annuity because he was adamant that he wanted something absolutely guaranteed). This is just what he had with me, and I know he had some more investments elsewhere. Well, this guy would always come in a couple of times a month talking to me about different strategies he heard about on the radio or in commercials during Rush Limbaugh and what not. I had to continuously talk him out of wanting LIRPs because of his age, or investing everything in gold and silver because "THEY NEVER HAVE GONE DOWN IN PRICE EVER IN HISTORY!" No matter how many times I showed him how much better his current investment were performing over all the other garbage ideas he was getting bombarded with he was still convinced that there was better ways to invest his funds. I was always able to talk him down make him see the light and stick to the plan we had for his and his wife's retirement in the next couple years.

Then Obama, got elected. This dude went absolutely nuts. Like hands down crazy. There was nothing I or his wife could do to make him see that the end of the US wasn't coming. First he cashed out all his NQ funds (including the fixed annuity that was like 4 months away from not having a surrender penalty, but not even when I got my FSD on the line with me could we talk him into waiting a little bit) and bought a house in the middle of nowhere outright. It was a decent place and had a bunch of land, so although I thought it was really stupid and impetuous, I figured it was still somewhat in their plan to sell their larger home after retirement so we were somewhat on track just taking some steps a couple years ahead of time and a little out of order. Then a month later he came in and said he was selling his business and other home and they were both retiring. Well alright. We all sat down and I went over the new strategy and thought it was perfectly fine for both of them to retire now and although with the lifestyle they liked to live (loved vacations, cars, out door rec vehicles, long hunting trips, fancy restaurants, clothes, shopping, guns, etc.) I thought another couple of years of saving and picking the time to sell everything off could have been a little better I still thought they would be OK as long as we kept up with the investments and started tapping into the retirement funds slowly as they went through the remainder of their NQ funds.

A month later his wife called and said that they had liquidated all of their other outside assets besides mine and that they wanted to come in and talk about the retirement funds they had with me. I thought it was a little strange, but scheduled the meeting and began looking into some other strategies we could do if they wanted to get more aggressive with it now that they retired a bit earlier than we were expecting. Well, I was mistaken as to the point of the meeting. They wanted to liquidate all of their retirement accounts and distribute them to their bank account. Honestly looking back I should have seen something like this coming, but I was honestly floored and asked them if they were unhappy with my advice or if I had somehow let them down in some way. Well, they were perfectly happy with me and were happy with everything up until that point, but they had decided to get absolutely everything they had out of the market at this time. I pressed them as to why and they finally came right out and said that with a black democratic president in office they knew the entire economy was going to collapse and they needed to get all their money into physical tradable commodities that they could protect once the country started eating itself. They were buying gold (like physical gold loving bars) and other commodities (that they didn't want to get into with me).

I was floored, absolutely speechless. I tried and tried to talk them out of it. Had my Regional Leader and FSD speak to them about how this was an EXTREME reaction and that it was definitely not in their best interest to handle their retirement (or all of their) funds this way. They weren't having it. So I placed the trades that day like they wanted on a down turn market day and their money hit their bank account and was out of it within a week. We still had contact for a bit and I went to see their new house a few weeks later at their request. It was nice, and they seemed happy and content so whatever. Crazy racists can live off on their own and its no skin off my nose. They told me they had used all but a "small" amount of cash they kept in their house to buy gold and they buried it all over their property in caches. When I moved to Chicago I kind of lost contact with them, but holy poo poo. I had heard about situations like that before, but never with so much money, so quickly, and all because of racism.

Figured you guys would like that!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Hahahahhahahahah they buried gold all over their property.

Sounds like anyone that turned up uninvited would probably get shot though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's what they told me. A big part of me hopes it was just a scheme to fire me without hurting my feelings and they 5498'd all those funds into another retirement account at another brokerage house or something. I doubt it, but in like 30 years I'm sure as poo poo gonna be checking the obituaries and real estate notifications for their house to see if I can buy it and find the modern equivalent to buried pirate treasure.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Then Obama, got elected. This dude went absolutely nuts. Like hands down crazy. There was nothing I or his wife could do to make him see that the end of the US wasn't coming. [...] they finally came right out and said that with a black democratic president in office they knew the entire economy was going to collapse and they needed to get all their money into physical tradable commodities that they could protect once the country started eating itself.

Only in America :911:
Seriously, what is it with the US that breeds this kind of crazy?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's what they told me. A big part of me hopes it was just a scheme to fire me without hurting my feelings and they 5498'd all those funds into another retirement account at another brokerage house or something. I doubt it, but in like 30 years I'm sure as poo poo gonna be checking the obituaries and real estate notifications for their house to see if I can buy it and find the modern equivalent to buried pirate treasure.
Wow their house has literal buried treasure. Please don't tell anyone the address and then actually go try to find it! Hint: X marks the spot.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Wasn't the market basically in the shitter when OBAMA started? Which would mean that they sold at an all time low?

I bet the "other commodities" are literally just survivalist style hoards of food, ammo, etc

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CombatInformatiker posted:

Talk radio.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If I was gonna bury gold somewhere, I'd at least put in the effort to use an antique chest and scatter the pieces of a map across the globe.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Thesaurus posted:

Wasn't the market basically in the shitter when OBAMA started? Which would mean that they sold at an all time low?

I bet the "other commodities" are literally just survivalist style hoards of food, ammo, etc

Yes and they probably believe it was somehow his fault.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

YUP! When I said downturn I meant it. 2008 was a terrible time to retire/get out of the market.

BraveUlysses posted:

They absolutely did.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Note to self: Solice Kirsk is definitely not black.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Well it was Obama's fault that the market went to record highs. Thanks Obama!

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

CombatInformatiker posted:

This is an America-centric forum, you wouldn't expect to hear much from elsewhere...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Now now, they may have lost out on that 5 year Bull market - but for 2016 they're definitely out performing the S&P. It's going to turn around for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If I was gonna bury gold somewhere, I'd at least put in the effort to use an antique chest and scatter the pieces of a map across the globe.

That was the worst part of Wind Waker

• Locked thread