Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Zero One posted:

My new employer automatically put me into their 401k, how much can I sue them for?

Automatic enrollment into 401k plans (with an automatic deduction selected) is the recommended way to get Americans to save for retirement. The DOL suggests them and says they can cut the number of employes not saving for retirement by half: http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications/automaticenrollment401kplans.html

Of course this BWM wants to sue his (brand new) employer because it takes longer than 24 hours to reverse the contribution that was made YESTERDAY.

So it's going to cost him more in legal fees than the amount of the contribution. Classic.

Are there opt-out forms for auto-enrollment situations like this so that the passive people get enrolled and the idiots can turn down participation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I assume so... my company does everything via web portal. You'd just go to the 401k page and opt-out.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Step 3 should always be the first step:

Not crazy reddit guy posted:

Step 3 is to again, relax. Losing this job for having to wait a month for what -- less than $250? -- isn't worth it. Stop being a drama queen, clerical errors and the like happen from time to time. We take a deep breath and we deal with it.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Mantle posted:

Did you also refuse a raise because it would put you into a new tax bracket
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I ended up making money but I wasn't planning on day trading or anything. I'm still building up my retirement reserves but I typed in the wrong ticker code way back when. Maybe I'm more bad with letters than bad with money.

That said, I wish I were getting a raise at work...

Edit to add: My roommate says he doesn't believe in the stock market after last year's slump and the start of this year and plans to buy property to let it appreciate. We are in a housing bubble in Canada and he wants to get in on he action because "my father bought a house for $50,000 thirty years ago and now it's worth half a million dollars!"

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 5, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Thirty seconds of googling shows me that if you invested $50,000.00 in 1983, it would be worth $1,330,430.69 in 2013.

How much do stocks cost to upkeep on average?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Aliquid posted:

Thirty seconds of googling shows me that if you invested $50,000.00 in 1983, it would be worth $1,330,430.69 in 2013.

How much do stocks cost to upkeep on average?

My math is way, way off.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 7, 2016

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Olive Branch posted:

Edit to add: My roommate says he doesn't believe in the stock market after last year's slump and the start of this year and plans to buy property to let it appreciate. We are in a housing bubble in Canada and he wants to get in on he action because "my father bought a house for $50,000 thirty years ago and now it's worth half a million dollars!"

Most of New Zealand did this until the Kiwisaver was introduced (401K equivalent). Low inflation or deflation (which is what we're heading into now globally) is the worst time to buy property as an investment. Might as well buy gold and watch the price fall as the maintenance costs are less.

The lending rules in New Zealand have taken the pressure off the Auckland house market somewhat (not completely). Now there are people waiting for the housing bubble in Australia and Canada to collapse, along with all of South Africa's economy. There's a pretty drat good chance of a major recession.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/04/keep-buying-despite-40-chance-of-recession-pro.html

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

BraveUlysses posted:

Your math is way, way off. 50k invested with no additional investment at a 4% interest rate would yield about 187k after 33 years (assuming no dividends).

You can keep your money invested in a stock, reinvest the dividends (which you are taxed on) and only pay long term cap gains when you sell the stocks.

The S&P 500, which is a generally good historical proxy for "invested in the stock market," has not returned 4% annually.

There are calculators available for this sort of thing, which use historical data.

If we assume that you invested $50k US in October 1983 (the worst-case scenario), and pulled your money in February of this year, the value of the stocks alone with no dividends reinvested would be about $522,000. You'd of course have to pay long-term cap gains, but you would on the sale of a house, too. Reinvesting dividends in the best case, such as a tax-deferred or nontaxable account, would get you to roughly $1.18M. If you had chosen any other month to start, you could do substantially better, and it wouldn't be hard to hit $1.5M in total.

In every case, the stock market does better than the house. Houses are great places to live, and renting them out can be an OK business. But, viewed as a pure investment, they're middling at best.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BraveUlysses posted:

Your math is way, way off. 50k invested with no additional investment at a 4% interest rate would yield about 187k after 33 years (assuming no dividends).

You can keep your money invested in a stock, reinvest the dividends (which you are taxed on) and only pay long term cap gains when you sell the stocks.
Yeah the problem here is that you are using a very safe estimate for stock market growth, but the (much higher) real world growth of the house. Looking at the actual stock growth of that time would get you more reasonable numbers, and if the stock market hadn't done as well, the house probably would not have either.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
On the other hand, houses give the constant dividend of being able to live in them, and are much easier to buy leveraged than stocks are

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

BraveUlysses posted:

god drat son, sit down

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Series DD Funding posted:

On the other hand, houses give the constant dividend of being able to live in them, and are much easier to buy leveraged than stocks are

Buying stocks on leverage is scarily easy actually. Houses don't have margin calls though!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

baquerd posted:

Buying stocks on leverage is scarily easy actually. Houses don't have margin calls though!
maybe they should

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you have a mortgage the bank can margin call you if the value of your property decreases significantly.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Series DD Funding posted:

On a long enough term sure, if one is willing to forego mobility and can remain solvent enough to weather economic downturns. In Canada the opportunity cost is generally not worth it because the imputed rents are insane. The return on capital of houses in some areas is maybe a couple percent a year before taxes because idiot amateur landlords speculating on RE don't realize they're subsidizing their tenants. There's a thread somewhere dedicated to the Canadian real estate bubble. They've been stiff-arming the GFC as hard as they can and the pressure has been building ever since.

Canada is bad with money.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cowofwar posted:

If you have a mortgage the bank can margin call you if the value of your property decreases significantly.

I've never heard of that, and a quick googling brings up an article mentioning Singapore. Is this really a thing in the US?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Pretty much anywhere, if the value of the property being mortgaged (be it real estate, a ship, whatever) falls significantly below the value of the outstanding mortgage, the lender can just go "welp, gently caress it, cancelling your loan. Pay up!"

The idea being that the property is securing the mortgage. If the property is worth less than the mortgage, then the mortgage can be invalidated.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Ah yes, the bold strategy of forcing an immediate default to potentially avoid a future, smaller default.

I also heard that China's going to call in our debt any day now...

Lenders can generally only do this if the property is changing hands (ie you sold it), at risk of being taken by the state due to non payment of taxes, or if you've already defaulted on payments. So basically all the situations you'd already expect.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FrozenVent posted:

Pretty much anywhere, if the value of the property being mortgaged (be it real estate, a ship, whatever) falls significantly below the value of the outstanding mortgage, the lender can just go "welp, gently caress it, cancelling your loan. Pay up!"

The idea being that the property is securing the mortgage. If the property is worth less than the mortgage, then the mortgage can be invalidated.

I've never heard of this and rather than reading my mortgage contract to prove you wrong I'll just ask for some examples

Also there's absolutely zero reason a bank would ever do this, the more I think about it the sillier it is.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
What would be the incentive for a bank to do such a thing, even if it were in mortgage contracts? Sounds like an excellent way for the bank to end up tied up in court AND get stuck with a bunch of foreclosed homes. Additionally, the bank wouldn't know if the value of the place changed any unless it were appraised by either the county/township or if you paid out of pocket for an appraisal. That just seems like too much work for what essentially boils down to: "you signed for this, you owe this on time or we'll take it back from you after at least a few months of non-payment.."

Mantle
May 15, 2004

baquerd posted:

I've never heard of that, and a quick googling brings up an article mentioning Singapore. Is this really a thing in the US?

Apparently it's a thing in Canada with Toronto Dominion loans. I haven't found a primary source online though.

http://www.greaterfool.ca/2014/01/22/surprise-8/

What lenders can and cannot do all depends on the specific lending agreement. I don't think any generalization can be made here.

E: Here is an excerpt of the clauses

http://m.mortgagebrokernews.ca/news/td-mortgage-clause-change-176155.aspx

Mantle fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 6, 2016

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

I've never heard of this and rather than reading my mortgage contract to prove you wrong I'll just ask for some examples

Also there's absolutely zero reason a bank would ever do this, the more I think about it the sillier it is.

I remember going through the terms of my mortgage with my lawyer. There's one clause that stood out that actually says the bank can sell my house at any time without a reason. Banks wouldn't do that without a reason but it saves them from having to give justifications for selling it and a big pissing match.

Locally banks tell people to sell to avoid putting mortgagee sale so they don't attract people like me who low ball offers.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

pig slut lisa posted:

I was just reviewing an appraisal of a property that has some light equestrian use going on and this stood out to me:

7 out of 10 horse owners earn less than $100K a year? Oof.

I hear radio ads for https://www.williamsauction.com/ and now they are advertising auctioning your horse farm to buy a different horse farm.

Their previous claim to fame was selling a town in Wyoming that consists of a convinence store / post office.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

My favorite BWM horsey thing has to be "natural horsemanship", specifically as sold by Pat Parelli. He's a trainer whose idea is that buying his special poo poo will make your horse actually listen to you. You can even pay a hundred thousand dollars and become a Parelli Certified Trainer/Parelli Protege/Savvy Horsemanship blahblahblah to sucker people's money yourself. Pyramid scheme + horses. he professional horse world has seen through him for the most part, but he still ropes in lots of naive young people looking for a quick fix to their horse's issues. And then their horses are unsellable because the new owner has to "de-Parellize" them so they can actually do stuff with them.
He's inspired other snake oil salesman like Clinton Anderson and GaWaNi Pony Boy (who fell out of favor when people realized that he's not actually Native American) but none have had quite the success that him and his idiot horse-abusing wife have.
http://www.parelli.com/
He ultimately went too far with Parelli University - For-Profit college + pyramid scheme + horses. After that I haven't seen much of him.
http://files.parelli.com/Apprenticeship_App.pdf (check page 4)
I can't really do justice to just how crazy some of his poo poo is though. Some horse forum threads for those of you seeking stories of equuity gone wrong.
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?179040-For-100-000-you-TOO-can-become-a-Parelli-Protege
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?359787-Parelli-University
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?94653-Get-ready-Parelli-thread-)
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?299815-Parelli-s-million

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Devian666 posted:

I remember going through the terms of my mortgage with my lawyer. There's one clause that stood out that actually says the bank can sell my house at any time without a reason. Banks wouldn't do that without a reason but it saves them from having to give justifications for selling it and a big pissing match.

Locally banks tell people to sell to avoid putting mortgagee sale so they don't attract people like me who low ball offers.

They can sell your mortgage to other banks and will, not sell your house. In Canada it's different since they don't have 30 year mortgages like we do here in the USA.

I spent 3+ years as a foreclosure lawyer in Illinois and this doesn't exist here. For starters, the bank isn't in title

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 7, 2016

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

They can sell your mortgage to other banks and will, not sell your house. In Canada it's different since they don't have 30 year mortgages like we do here in the USA.

I spent 3+ years as a foreclosure lawyer in Illinois and this doesn't exist here. For starters, the bank isn't in title

I'm not in the US. That and I knew you were involved in the legal side of things so it's good to get your feedback.

I have no doubt the bank would sell my mortgage on once the fixed rate ends. Reading the mortgage documents was an eye opener for me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Update already. Now the deadbeat horse lady is threatening to sue! Maybe. Possibly. But she's definitely not moving the horses unless OP does more poo poo for free.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/493mmp/ab_update_horse_training_client_is_now/ posted:

So this morning she insisted that I come into the farm this weekend and show her what her horses can do. I do not have time for that, nor is it anywhere in our agreement that I have to prove anything or get to a specific point with any horses. The agreement is that I will work x amount of horses for x amount of days for x price, which I did.

She is threatening to sue me for the cost of training and board because I will not show up and work her horses for her on last minute notice.

However, I boarded her horses and worked with them 5days/week as we agreed. So she has used the services she's paid for - so, legally, no leg to stand on?

Edit: I have sent her the following message: "It is unfortunate that you are unhappy with my services but this is the first I've been informed. You were welcome to terminate our agreement at any time. If you are considering litigation you can advise me of your retained lawyer and have them contact mine."

Any advice/pep talks at all? I have never been threatened with a suit before.

Edit #2: I sent that message and she got defensive saying she was not actually considering legal action (so I guess I called a bluff??) and she said all she wants is for me to show her the horses - but again, I am under no obligation, legal, professional, or otherwise, to take time out of my day to do so. And at this point, especially after a legal threat, I really don't think it's wise to grant that request.

Edit #3: she's said she intends to keep the horses here until I show them off to her, is there any recommended response? Or should I just have a lawyer send her a "GTFO" letter? I have not sent her ANYTHING since I told her to give me her lawyer's name.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

My favorite BWM horsey thing has to be "natural horsemanship", specifically as sold by Pat Parelli. He's a trainer whose idea is that buying his special poo poo will make your horse actually listen to you. You can even pay a hundred thousand dollars and become a Parelli Certified Trainer/Parelli Protege/Savvy Horsemanship blahblahblah to sucker people's money yourself. Pyramid scheme + horses. he professional horse world has seen through him for the most part, but he still ropes in lots of naive young people looking for a quick fix to their horse's issues. And then their horses are unsellable because the new owner has to "de-Parellize" them so they can actually do stuff with them.
He's inspired other snake oil salesman like Clinton Anderson and GaWaNi Pony Boy (who fell out of favor when people realized that he's not actually Native American) but none have had quite the success that him and his idiot horse-abusing wife have.
http://www.parelli.com/
He ultimately went too far with Parelli University - For-Profit college + pyramid scheme + horses. After that I haven't seen much of him.
http://files.parelli.com/Apprenticeship_App.pdf (check page 4)
I can't really do justice to just how crazy some of his poo poo is though. Some horse forum threads for those of you seeking stories of equuity gone wrong.
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?179040-For-100-000-you-TOO-can-become-a-Parelli-Protege
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?359787-Parelli-University
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?94653-Get-ready-Parelli-thread-)
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?299815-Parelli-s-million

my post from the last page

Aliquid posted:

My mom does accounting for a woman who owns a horse ranch and is a level 5 Parelli trainer, whatever the gently caress that is. She is terrible at finances and is slowly losing control, especially to expenses incurred by her four twentysomething children. She has a beautiful Hill Country property well within commuting distance from Austin, but has built so much horse poo poo (training areas, plus a giant 6000sqft covered steel arena) on the property that she can't sell it to get out of the biz. She owns a goddamn valley on 9 acres with an amazing mansion and a river but nobody will pay more than $550,000 because it has become so specialized in the last five years.

I did some manual labor there last year and made the mistake of negotiating before showing up. I busted my rear end and she lowballed me, paying me minimum wage for the most back-breaking poo poo I've ever done. She's not bad with money, it's me.

It's a goddamn pyramid scheme and it's hilarious. Thanks so much for the links; I've never done any independent research, just stuff my mom says.

edit:

no seriously, check page four. lmao

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 7, 2016

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Aliquid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a231RLKyfPw

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

It's a goddamn pyramid scheme and it's hilarious. Thanks so much for the links; I've never done any independent research, just stuff my mom says.

edit:

Page four, best page.

I am amazed at how horse people can keep escalating financial disasters.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 7, 2016

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Aliquid posted:

my post from the last page

edit:

Holy hell charging people $1000+/month to work your ranch is the best with money thing this thread has ever seen.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Aliquid posted:

holy poo poo

I don't know what I was expecting but it surpassed whatever expectations I would have had anyway

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Aliquid posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

That is cult-level GWM.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Horsechat for president 2016

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

holy poo poo

I don't know what I was expecting but it surpassed whatever expectations I would have had anyway

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Gold.

I guess it's like "This is a ponzi scheme" schemes with which so many bitcoiners were tricked. You make it so blindingly obvious that you filter anyone who is going to wisen up to your scheme.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Uhh excuse me it's not a pyramid scheme, it's a "wealth triangle".

Pyramid implies a stable and long lasting foundation

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The pyramids were built by slaves.

If you don't realize how much of a good idea this is, you're a slave to not wanting success and riches.

Prove me wrong. :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I didn't know pyramid schemes still put actual pyramid diagrams in their literature. I cherished my ignorance on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

I didn't know pyramid schemes still put actual pyramid diagrams in their literature. I cherished my ignorance on that one.

I got suckered into a pitch to sell water filters. As they started drawing their corporate structure on the chalkboard, I pointed out it looked like a pyramid. I was then told all companies look like that.

Which is kind of true. So it's not the pyramid part that's the problem.

• Locked thread