Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sirotan posted:

How do you even pay $50k for any style of Ford Focus, let alone a hatchback? I just checked and the base model price is $37k. :psyduck:

The Focus RS is a factory near-race car that happens to ride on the Focus platform. It's got triple the power of a normal focus, an extremely sophisticated all-wheel drive system, and a much much higher performing suspension and brake set up.

Is it worth 40k+? To a car guy with money to burn, probably. To a regular person? Unlikely.

It somewhat competes with the WRX STi and Golf R, which are also high power AWD cars based on cheaper platforms that cost around 40k.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
For the record, all 3 are insanely fun little death machines that my wife will absolutely 100% not even let me look into buying.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Crazy Mike posted:

What about vacation ownership? I went to the Wyndham sales pitch gimmick and thought it almost made sense if we dedicated ourselves to a vacation every year. I could justify affording to finance the buy price and the yearly maintenance fee but felt I was not quite well off enough to pull it off and when they mentioned that you could sell your points if you got tired of it I thought it may be better off to buy the points off someone else.

Someone in our group bought the package. I probably wouldn't buy it unless I could drop the $60k or so like it wasn't a big deal.

My parents do Wyndham and my in-laws do Holiday Property Bond, and they both love it. They're retired and travel constantly, literally they're whole lives revolve around planning when and where they'll use their points. I think they're dumb, but I guess they're the elusive people who are using it to the fullest and don't feel hosed over by it.

As for the rise in big rear end trucks and SUVS, didn't we go through this 10 years ago? Everyone bought big rear end cars when gas was cheap, then it went up to like $4/gallon and regret set it. But hey, it's cheap again RIGHT NOW so let's sign a 7 year car note!

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

ate all the Oreos posted:

Like I get it if they're your hobby, my dad repairs old cars and pours a ton of money into them but he's actually rebuilding them from the ground up and stuff. It's fine to spend money (that you can afford) on something you're really into but I just don't get why everyone needs to drive an SUV or truck to their office job every day :shrug:

When I lived in Houston one of my main hobbies was driving. My RSX is literally the only thing I miss about living in the states.

Ok not the ONLY thing I also miss pickles that don't cost $34 a jar.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

ate all the Oreos posted:

Like I get it if they're your hobby, my dad repairs old cars and pours a ton of money into them but he's actually rebuilding them from the ground up and stuff. It's fine to spend money (that you can afford) on something you're really into but I just don't get why everyone needs to drive an SUV or truck to their office job every day :shrug:

Freud may have been full of it about a lot of things, but he was dead right about "overcompensation".

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
How is driving a thing a hobby? That's bullshit consumerism.

A hobby involves creating, not consuming.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

cowofwar posted:

Racing is a sport. Sports count as hobbies.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

cowofwar posted:

A hobby is an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure, whether it involves consumption or creation. You're not the hobby police, c.o.w.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I'm sure building dollhouse furniture for sale a la Lester Freamon sits right on the face of everyones' weird, GWM fantasies in this thread, but many people have dumb, expensive hobbies that they feel just fine about pursuing because they are financially responsible everywhere else in their lives and so it makes sense to do stupid, expensive stuff to keep themselves sane.

Not every hobby is or has to be a "side gig."

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Can't believe people enjoy things that I don't.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Burning leaves and dumping toxic waste into rivers is my hobby

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ego symphonic posted:

Can't believe people enjoy things that I don't.

Same

Nail Rat posted:

Same

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cowofwar posted:

This is an idiotic extension of the idea that active hobbies are "better" to have than passive ones.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nail Rat posted:

What position did you get offered by Trump?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

baquerd posted:

What position did you get offered by Trump?

Administrator of the EPA, of course

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sparkmaster posted:

34k worth of car is... a lot of car.

Or a very average truck.

The average price of a new vehicle is $33k according to recent reports. It's not uncommon at all anymore. I'm sure truck prices raise that a bit but a base F-150 is less than the average. I'm sure the median is a lot lower but here we are.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
McMansions are out, McMobiles are the new hotness

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Also truck and SUV sales are at a record high right now since gas is so cheap.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Also truck and SUV sales are at a record high right now since gas is so cheap.

Honestly, it's unlikely gas will ever hit $4 a gallon again during the life of any truck or SUV sold today. They've been trying to figure out a way to economically frack oil shale for a couple of decades and now that it's profitable at $50/barrel it's unlikely we'll see triple digit oil prices again.

I mean, I guess it's still possible. But only until a mid-term election and the chants of 'drill, baby drill' echo across the electorate.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Periodic reminder that BWM isn't about the hobby in question but about the hobbyist's means to pursue that hobby responsibly.

Except for horseboats because the means to pursue horseboats responsibly are outside the grasp of everyone.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

If you buy a $35k car on a 6 year loan at 5%, you're going to pay about $40k for that thing. A six year old car loses about 60% of it's value, so charitably, it will be worth $15k. So you paid $40k for a $15k asset, for a total loss of $25k. If you stuck that car payment in an ETF and got 8%, you'd have about $50k instead. That's a $75k swing. I'm preaching to the choir but it always blows my mind to work out car napkin math.

EDIT: Assuming you bought that car right around the time you started working, and you did nothing else, that $75k sitting until "retirement" 24 additional years is worth almost $0.5M. A half million dollar F-150

paternity suitor fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 20, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

paternity suitor posted:

If you buy a $35k car on a 6 year loan at 5%, you're going to pay about $40k for that thing. A six year old car loses about 60% of it's value, so charitably, it will be worth $15k. So you paid $40k for a $15k asset, for a total loss of $25k. If you stuck that car payment in an ETF and got 8%, you'd have about $50k instead. That's a $75k swing. I'm preaching to the choir but it always blows my mind to work out car napkin math.

This is the house argument again because it ignores the utility you get from a new reasonably reliable car.

If I put all my food budget into index funds and just stole food out of the work fridge I'd save money too unless that in turn got me fired.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Krispy Kareem posted:

This is the house argument again because it ignores the utility you get from a new reasonably reliable car.

If I put all my food budget into index funds and just stole food out of the work fridge I'd save money too unless that in turn got me fired.

You're partially right, and I'm assuming that the person already had a functioning car that they could have kept. Most people I know that need a car have a car, they just want a nicer car. You can buy a slightly used reliable car for like $10-15k, that's probably a more fair comparison.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

potee posted:

Look at the sultan, with his fancy microwave and watt-hours to spare :rolleyes:

To be fair he didn't say anything about heating it :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mastershakeman posted:

The average price of a new vehicle is $33k according to recent reports. It's not uncommon at all anymore. I'm sure truck prices raise that a bit but a base F-150 is less than the average. I'm sure the median is a lot lower but here we are.

I'm shopping for a minivan right now, and I can tell you that a Honda Odyssey starts at $30k and the top trim level is $45k.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

paternity suitor posted:

EDIT: Assuming you bought that car right around the time you started working, and you did nothing else, that $75k sitting until "retirement" 24 additional years is worth almost $0.5M. A half million dollar F-150

Hmmm yeah, if you ignore "the ability to move people and things around" which is the entire point of them, yeah vehicles are terrible investments.

Heh you pay 50$/month for a bus pass? That's 600$/year, plus the 8% returns I made up, that's $5705.81 over 6 years, then if you let that amount sit for 30 more at 8%, that's $57,415.61!

A 57 grand bus pass and what do you get? Transportation to and from work, shopping, your entire family and social life. No wonder poor people are poor, they don't understand investing!

of course that F-150 is too expensive for most americans, but that's not the point you made

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

paternity suitor posted:

You're partially right, and I'm assuming that the person already had a functioning car that they could have kept. Most people I know that need a car have a car, they just want a nicer car. You can buy a slightly used reliable car for like $10-15k, that's probably a more fair comparison.

Then you operate under the assumption that an inexpensive and reliable Mazda or Kia costs $25k and someone else buys a Chrysler for $35k and figure the opportunity cost of that $10k difference (and the fact they bought a loving Chrysler).

And all cars, even good used ones cost more to maintain as they age. It is almost always better to drive a car at least 8 to 10 years, but sometimes it makes sense to purchase new before then.

That said Americans are loving stupid as poo poo with cars. Like Yemenis with their ornamental knives as status symbols stupid. One of the softball dads on my daughter's team just left his sweet management gig at a datacenter to be employee number 3 at a startup. But that's not the stupid part. The stupid part is the $60k truck he bought 2 weeks before he changed jobs.

It's a really nice Chevy, though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

canyoneer posted:

I'm shopping for a minivan right now, and I can tell you that a Honda Odyssey starts at $30k and the top trim level is $45k.

You could cram the kids and soccer gear into the back of a Honda Fit, think of it like those games where you have to fit all the puzzle pieces into a small area.

EDIT: /r/legaladvice, the subreddit that keeps on giving

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5jdywt/starbucks_intentionally_shut_down_my_account_with/

quote:

Starbucks intentionally shut down my account with $1200 loaded, won't adjust

I'm from Philadelphia but this isn't really related since it was all done through the app. I had a large number of Starbucks cards (think 20-25) that I've been hoarding and haven't loaded into the app. Last Friday, I decided to load them and merge them to make it easy to manage. So I added them all, merged them into 3 leaving me with $500 on two and ~$200 on another (max of $500 on one card). Later that evening, I checked my iPhone to see a notification from Starbucks (within the Wallet app) that one of my cards went to $0. I checked the app, saw all three were $0 and all marked as closed.

Called 2AM Saturday, told an investigation with security would be filed, was given a case #. I called back as a follow up yesterday, was told to wait 3-5 business days. In the interim, I filed a complaint with the BBB, whom I also heard back from yesterday and to wait 72 hours. Heard back via email a couple of hours later, to this response: "Thank you for contacting Starbucks in regards to your closed gift cards. Unfortunately this account is under indefinite investigation. We will not be re-instating any of the gift cards. For further details please contact your financial institution. Have a wonderful evening.

Best, ____"

So again, I called in, kept asking to be escalated to the highest person I could talk to at the call center and got to the manager. She read the notes yet knew where I was coming from but couldn't overturn the decision. In the 40 minute call, said the cards were fraudulent (they weren't) and Starbucks didn't get the $ from the cards when they sold. I bought them a month ago, all from various ebay sellers. The email says to contact my financial institution, but that would entail charging back on the sellers (whose funds were legitimate, Starbucks says they're not). The shut down occurred less than 24 hours after I loaded them. If they were fraudulent, the balance would've been $0 a month ago when I bought them. I believe the account was flagged because I loaded a lot in one day, but that doesn't justify shutting down all my cards. If one out of the 20 was fraudulent, shut that down, but not all $1200 of them.

So I filed the BBB report, got me nowhere. Yesterday, filed a report with the PA Attorney General, CFPB and will be preparing a court case with a family attorney tomorrow if it comes down to that. I contacted the sellers yesterday to get proof of purchase, most of which couldn't provide anything either due to it being a gift or was purchased too long ago to find the receipt. I still have all the physical cards in hand. I just read this here: "If Starbucks discovers any Starbucks Card or Starbucks Card balance was sourced or derived from fraud or other unlawful means, in our sole discretion, we may cancel all impacted Starbucks Cards and retain all related Starbucks Card balances without notice to you. We may use retained Starbucks Card balances to help offset our liability to card companies, networks and issuers of lost or stolen credit and debit cards used to purchase or load Starbucks Cards." on here, would this impact the case? Sorry for the long-winded post, but should be obvious I had a busy day yesterday dealing with this. What else should I do?

But I spent $10 for a $50GC, of course it could not be fraudulent :downs:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 20, 2016

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

quote:

I have a $520 Harley payment (still owe $20k on it)

$425 lease payment on truck

$250 lease payment on car

$1440 payment on mortgage

$150 on credit payments

$600 total on 2 401k lean payments (I know I'm a retard, long story, I'll never do it again)

I make $40/hr right now, soon to be $50/hr. I get a decent amount of overtime at work and I .so sick of being broke that I started taking everyonute they give me. I brought home $6000 last month after taxes, still.broke before this paycheck. My wife hasn't had a job til now.

I'm getting a bonus for around $15k in a month and a half. I plan to pay off one 401k loan, and credit card. That will put me up $450 a month, and I bet I still live paycheck to paycheck. Wife will bring in about $1200 a month once she starts bringing money on regularly, and we'll still.live paycheck to paycheck. We need a budget, and we need to learn how to live by it. We both just spend. I don't even know what I spend it on, and she spends it on pampering and making herself pretty with the hair and nails and facials and poo poo. Well, i do have a dog with some pretty bad allergies, and have spent about $1500+ in the past few months on vet visits (got wedding money) to figure it out.

I think I'll make about $150k+ next year, not including my wife's $20k, and we'll still live paycheck to paycheck. No savings, no nothing. How can we make a budget stick? We're both just as bad, and it doesn't make the marriage any easier.

quote:

I'd rather be broke with my harley than have $30k in savings. Sounds dumb, but it's my priority.

quote:

I go through cars like crazy, I get real bored of them, so instead of financing a car, instantly being upside down on it, not wanting it anymore a year later, trading it in, tolling over what I owed on it and being even more upside down... I got in the mess once. I got out of all that upside down poo poo (first 401k), and decided to lease cuz it's zero maintenance cost and i can get rid of it in two years... One more year left. I'm don't though. When my wife lease is up, Imma buy the car in a three year loan (August) and when my truck lease is up I don't know what I'll do yet. Right around the time when my wife's car is laid off after the three years, my harley will be done too. I pretend like I got it figured out, like I just typed, but it all ends up poo poo.
Guys he's got it all figured out

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5jc2r5/i_made_115k_this_year_and_im_living_paycheck_to/

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Bad With Money is my favorite thread because even if we're not great with money, there's always something to look at and feel good about.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

meatpotato posted:

I've got a friend who is probably bad with money but earns a lot. He just bought a $50k Ford Focus RS. I won't lie, that thing is extremely fun to ride in. But gently caress paying $50k +insurance for a daily driver unless you're making multiple hundreds of thousands a of dollars a year. I'll be rocking my 1990s car and a bicycle until they fall apart.

E: He had a 2014 WRX for two years before the RS. The man likes fast AWD cars.

I own a 2015 WRX and honestly its one of the most enjoyable cars to drive I've ever spent time in, at least for short trips. I took a 10 hour road-trip last summer and the stiff suspension and road noise make it unpleasant. I live in Montana and since going anywhere here involves a lot of driving, might as well try to do the drive in something fun.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Bad With Money is my favorite thread because even if we're not great with money, there's always something to look at and feel good about.

Yea. I spent 200 bucks on a advent calendar full of whiskey, but at least I'll still put money into savings and the 401k next month, and all my bills are covered.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 20, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

"Buy less Harley's"

"No."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

monster on a stick posted:

You could cram the kids and soccer gear into the back of a Honda Fit, think of it like those games where you have to fit all the puzzle pieces into a small area.

EDIT: /r/legaladvice, the subreddit that keeps on giving

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5jdywt/starbucks_intentionally_shut_down_my_account_with/

But I spent $10 for a $50GC, of course it could not be fraudulent :downs:

Surely if you are buying hookey cards, you know that you've got to spend them asap before anyone finds out and blocks them?

No-one is naive enough to believe that cards from ebay are legit.

spog fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 20, 2016

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

quote:

No magic here
  • Sell Harley
  • Turn in truck
  • Turn in car
  • Drop off dog at a shelter
  • cut up all credit cards
  • Go cash only. Put $200 in an envelope every Monday. That's all you and wife can spen. Period.
You are like a textbook Dave Ramsey case. You cannot control your spending and use credit and financing to live beyond your means

Dude, just euthanize it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

He doesn't have to get rid of the dog, some of the hardcore financial types really don't get things like emotions.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

As a Honda Fit driver, 3 car seats do not fit into the back seat. Well, no 3 car seats I've ever seen.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

spog posted:

Surely if you are buying hookey cards, you know that you've got to spend them asap before anyone finds out and blocks them?

No-one is naive enough to believe that cards from ebay are legit.

Hahaha someone looked at his userpage and found him selling some seriously sketchy digital game codes:

https://www.reddit.com/user/Squilly827/submitted/

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Uncle Enzo posted:

Hmmm yeah, if you ignore "the ability to move people and things around" which is the entire point of them, yeah vehicles are terrible investments.

Heh you pay 50$/month for a bus pass? That's 600$/year, plus the 8% returns I made up, that's $5705.81 over 6 years, then if you let that amount sit for 30 more at 8%, that's $57,415.61!

A 57 grand bus pass and what do you get? Transportation to and from work, shopping, your entire family and social life. No wonder poor people are poor, they don't understand investing!

of course that F-150 is too expensive for most americans, but that's not the point you made

You're partially right. Like I said to Krispy Kareem just a few posts down there, my napkin math is admittedly not completely fair, and a more fair point would be to calculate out the replacement cost of transportation, either a bus pass or a cheap reliable car. No one said anything about poor people not understanding investing. The point I was making was that the opportunity cost of an expensive new vehicle can be surprising. I know plenty of people that trade their slightly used car in for almost nothing, and buy a new $35k car just because they like the new features and want to have a month or two of the feel goods that come with a new car. Ultimately, if you boil down the cost of an expensive car into the years of labor required to make up the money, it looks grim. If the cost of a car was 5 years of additional labor in your life, I doubt many people would buy the car.

I didn't make up 8% returns. It's a ballpark number for the real returns the stock market has averaged over the last 100+ years. 6% to 8% is fair.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

You're partially right. Like I said to Krispy Kareem just a few posts down there, my napkin math is admittedly not completely fair, and a more fair point would be to calculate out the replacement cost of transportation, either a bus pass or a cheap reliable car. No one said anything about poor people not understanding investing. The point I was making was that the opportunity cost of an expensive new vehicle can be surprising. I know plenty of people that trade their slightly used car in for almost nothing, and buy a new $35k car just because they like the new features and want to have a month or two of the feel goods that come with a new car. Ultimately, if you boil down the cost of an expensive car into the years of labor required to make up the money, it looks grim. If the cost of a car was 5 years of additional labor in your life, I doubt many people would buy the car.

I didn't make up 8% returns. It's a ballpark number for the real returns the stock market has averaged over the last 100+ years. 6% to 8% is fair.

Hey hey, someone on facebook shared a Dave Ramsey animated video saying I should put the difference in a mutual fund with an average 12% return! :downs:

I mean, yeah I would put hella money in a 12% average return fund, but they don't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

paternity suitor posted:

You're partially right.

It's nice of you to give everyone partial credit. They're still more right than you are. Your "napkin math" leaves out so many things that it is pointless.

You're preaching to the choir here and even the choir thinks you're way overstating things.

• Locked thread