Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Huttan posted:

It was an extra 30% penalty each time when I was out of work long enough to go into default. If I just pay the minimum, I'll be over 60 by the time they're paid off. They're currently in deferment because I'm working on bachelors #3, which my employer is paying for.

It's good you don't have to pay for it but how did you gently caress up badly enough to get 3 bachelors degrees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
drat Bananas: She is actually kind-of right. 7 years is the credit reporting limit. The debt still exists after 7 years but in the majority of US states there's gently caress all they can do about it due to the statute of limitations for debt collections being >= 7 years only in Montana, Iowa, West Virginia, Wyoming, and maybe Kentucky and Virginia. My parents racked up $60,000 of debt in the mid-90s for expensive furniture and poo poo and went off the radar and never repaid it. They are in the clear now because the SOL is long expired so they get to keep their stuff they bought.

razz is correct. For example, if she were to pay off the $6,000 ER bill today it would open up a new "paid in full" tradeline on her husband's credit report which will last for 7 more years. Paid in full with a CA isn't really much better than unpaid except in very specific conditions (e.g. we're trying to buy a house and we have a combined 1600 credit score but we have this $20 collections debt from a dvd we forgot about in 2007 if we just pay it off can we get the mortgage) sort of thing.

Most of that belongs in the debt collection thread though so here's some content :)

One of my coworkers is a 47 year old forklift driver (makes 15 bucks an hour or so) with a kid from a previous marriage. We spent a couple weekends ago tuning up his truck which was a 99 Chevy with 140K miles. During this I discovered he has no retirement savings of any sort and is pretty much going to work until he dies. Really nice guy too, blue collar all the way, loves his daughter, he's helped me haul poo poo in that truck quite a few times :( What he does have is a pretty decent credit score. So Monday he pulls up in a brand new Silverado TX edition that he financed off the lot with a $500 down payment. On a $46,000 truck with all the options. His excuse is that he needs a car to give to his 15-year old when she gets her license in a year.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
[quote="VideoTapir" post=""42719360"]

When I was in the Air Force I knew a Navy guy, an E4, who was paying 650 a month to lease a CRV. 650 a month to LEASE A CRV.

I knew another guy, an 18 year old E1, who was spending over 800 a month, payments and insurance, on his Honda Prelude, out of about 1100 dollars per month in pay.
[/quote]

The gently caress? How does that even happen? Neither of those are high end cars.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Trilineatus posted:

And I say this as someone who spend $1500 borrowed dollars to fix a busted head gasket on a 99 Civic. (Paid off car, it was either fix it or go into debt for a new one, I gambled on the fix and it's worked out so far).

How did you manage to spend $1500 on a head gasket? it's not that hard a fix if the engine is still in good shape

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
I didn't mean to start carchat, sorry about that. He didn't mention he had a cracked head which changes things obviously.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

One of my coworkers told me this past week that he had something like 80k in student debt alone, at a state school I asked how the gently caress was this possible cause he's an engineer and I guess it's a combination of out of state tuition and some other bullshit. He just left the company and I guess the ~gossip~ from other coworkers is that he was constantly complaining about his student debt to basically everyone all the time and saying how he doesn't have money. But he asks around every single day if anybody wants to go get lunch (easily ~$10/day after tip) and I assume goes out for lunch even if by himself, and he was looking to buy a house, or rather a "fixer."

You're saying 80k in student loans for an engineering bachelors is a ridiculous amount? Did you graduate in 1975 or something? My public state school charges about $4K a semester for tuition alone. Double that for living expenses, etc.

Yeah, that guy going out to eat lunch at 10$/day is excessive, can't argue with that.

I studied EE for a year before I dropped out because the curriculum was too difficult. Those guys don't have free time to work a second job. And yeah, 8$/hr 10/h at Home Depot is really going to cut a dent in your tuition bill. If you're in liberal arts, sure, as long as you can vomit some words on paper you'll get an A or B. Engineering is hardcore.

In the 2003 and post era, even PUBLIC school tuition and fees will put you in the poorhouse. At least he didn't go to law school.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Harry posted:

$360 a year is by far the lowest car insurance I've ever heard of.

Unless you have a terrible driving record that's pretty standrard for liability only (he drives a 15 year old beater like me except with fewer miles on it), and it's about what I pay. At that point there's really no sense in getting any more coverage than than that.

Obviously no way you'll be able to insure a newish car for that little.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Mantle posted:

I know someone bad with money. My mom. My mom is bad with money.

Maybe this is a canada thing but what exactly does it mean to buy someone out from a house?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I'm bad with money because I bought a new car. :negative:

On the plus side I pay no interest, it's well within my means, and the amount I make in payments is literally less than the amount I spent in fuel a month for a 1996 Diesel Ford F-250; discounting the fact that it will be much more reliable than the truck to boot.

I don't really see how that's bad with money at all. Buying lightly used or driving a beater used to be the norm but as that became "common wisdom" it drove the used car market up quite a bit to where it's not always the best decision.

Oh poo poo, I started carchat.

My best friend's sister has $135,000 in debt from a Psychology PhD that I found out this weekend she didn't finish. Her husband is a long haul truck driver making $50-60K (completely respectable pay for Texas's low COL but consider that debt load). She is pregnant with her second child and planning to have more.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

NancyPants posted:

Those of us who know poo poo know that a year or two at CC and transferring to a university is the better way to go, but around here EVERYONE makes CC out to be "13th grade" and for dumb people, etc. I'm telling you, the pressure put on "good students" and the "smart kids" to go to a "good school" is absolutely unreal. For-profit universities should be loving illegal.

The only exception is the "real" math/hard science/engineering classes. I went to CC for about a year before transferring to flagship public state school and the difficulty/challenge physics, chemistry, calc, circuits, was astounding compared to CC. I thought I was hot poo poo but was lucky to get Bs and Cs's my first year of real college. Got A's in all rounds of calc in CC but the problem sets my friends were given were so hard I literally could not help them despite having transferred credits.

The strong generally survive though.

The bullshit liberal arts classes were pretty much the same, just on a prettier campus. So if you want to get a BS major in polysci or english or psychology (WHY??????) not taking English Literature 101 at CC for 10% tuition/credit hr is shooting yourself in the foot.

For some more content: my friend spends ALL of his disposable income on guns and ammunition every other Friday he gets paid. He's not one of those doomsday people, he just really loves his guns. Problem is he's 33 with 0 savings of any sort including retirement, $20K in debt from a worthless criminal justice degree and about 11K riding at 29.99% from credit cards (also maxed out on guns and ammo) and makes about $12/hr as a security guard. Nothing at all wrong with buying guns or ammo or being a security guard (we're in Texas!) but how much ammo do you need?! Never realized how expensive bullets were until I went to the gun range with him.

Oh yeah, he's one of those people who makes the minimum payment and then hikes up the balance to just below where it would push him over the credit limit with a purchase. Yes, I used to do that when I was a dumb kid. But you're literally just paying the bank money for no reason.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Bloody Queef posted:

Rather than own your poor choice, blame someone else? Where does personal responsibility lie.

OHHHHH GOD, please let's not do this.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

I got a tetanus shot at a private clinic here (:quebec:) and it was like $25.

Could have gotten it for free at the community health center though so it made me feel pretty bad with money.

Man, saving $25 on a once-every-couple-years (if not a once-or-twice-in-a-lifetime expense) is not bad with money.

We're looking for stories for people buying $60,000 Hummers with $500 down at 29.999% APR! Try harder ;)

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

$320,000

There's got to be more to the story. I am the #1 college costs are too high cheerleader but this guy spent $320K on an undergrad? What the gently caress was he studying?

First guess was.. out of state for-profit college? But you said it's well known.

I'm not trying to make light of his mental health problems but it sounds like someone here's been taken for a ride -- him, his parents, whatever. My sister went to an out-of-state school in New York and 100% debt financed she ended up about 90K in debt. Still loving ridic but.. 320,000$$$$ for an education you didnt finish??? WTF????

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
Biking around Austin for a year convinced me that there are two types of bicycles: those that have been stolen, and those that will be stolen.

Of course it was Austin but still.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

oxsnard posted:

I understand why people commit all sorts of thieving crimes, except:

1. Stealing a cheap bike
2. Breaking one of those small triangular windows (a ~$200 repair) in order to jack a car stereo worth $20

My most educated guess would be drugs. Lack of drugs, high on drugs, insane because of drugs, etc.

I'm not an anti drug crusader at all in all way shape or form, don't support criminalization of all but the most serious drug offenses, and never will.. But my guess is most people who steal your $50 poo poo bmx bike with and smash your windshield for the a buck in change in the ashtray are probably high/trying to scrape up money to get high. A hit can be surprisingly cheap if you're drinking Listerine and/or smoking crack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOdLJCDW4A0

Or more sadly they are genuinely mentally ill with no access to any sort of treatment.

I just leave the doors in my lovely 15 year old car unlocked. The average window repair can be 100-300$ even if you do ir yourself and the combined value of everything that can be quickly removed from it is like $100... that's good with money right? :ohdear:

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Lowness 72 posted:

It's actually pretty common. A guy I knew used to work in a lot of lovely areas. He left nothing of value in the car but they would still break the windows to rummage around. So he started leaving it unlocked.

He figured if they were going to steal the car, they'll just break the window anyway. But if they were just looking for poo poo to sell, this leaves his windows intact.

Soo... unless it's raining roll your windows down? :horse: It really gets kinda ridiculous to decide what to do at times.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

And then it will depend on your level of tolerance for meddling HR departments, having way too much loving work to do because your budgets have been frozen since 2005, and getting poo poo on by the media on a daily basis.
The first two are just as horrible for the private sector unless you're at the very, very top.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Zhentar posted:

Bad with money story: Me. Today. I had to pay a $360 fine because I forgot to pay my property tax on time. Then I paid a $90 "convenience fee" to pay it online because I can't be assed to write a check and stick it in an envelope (well, I might have if they had mentioned the fee before the last step, but by then I'd already typed in my whole credit card number! At least I'll get half the fee back in points).

If you've got Chase card, you can spend your points on Amazon. It's very convenient.

Holy gently caress, what kind of organization charges 90 bucks for their pay-online ripoff fee? Usually it's like 2-5 bucks and I get outraged at that.

Or are your taxes absurdly high or something and it goes off a percentage of that?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Meowjesty posted:

Cellphones are bad with money and we all pay too much for them.

Definitely not trying to start some sort of argument but having at least in America, having a cell phone, like having a car, has become kind of a necessity. For example at work we CONSTANTLY text each other as a form of communication because walkie-talkies suck in an industrial environment. It could be argued w/o one I wouldn't have a job and that would be bad with money :)

For the latter compare to some place like I dunno.. London, where there is good public transport, access to grocery stores and other necessities, you can live just fine without a car. Cars are inherently bad with money (gas, parts, insurance, blah). Then again everything in London is ten times more expensive so that's bad with money. I think I just confused the poo poo out of myself ;)

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
I worked with an Indian dude who was from the upper caste of their society. He was by no means ostentatious (didn't wear gold jewelry or designer clothes and was generally a pretty humble guy. However, boy do they go crazy for weddings. He told me it's common and expected for upper-class Indians to spend 7 figures (yes, over a million US dollars) on weddings with 2,000+ guests where festivities last for a week or longer.

Although I guess people who drop a mil+ on weddings probably aren't putting it on a credit card.

It kind of puts it in perspective ;)

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Huttan posted:

It has gotten more expensive to renounce your citizenship:
Source.

You can have your passport revoked if your child support payments get too far behind. And the early versions (it might be still in the passed version, but I wasn't going to spend too much time scanning the 580 pages of what got passed) of the MAP21 bill (which was promoted as a highway bill, but includes lots of provisions about pension funding) would have allowed the IRS to have the State Department revoke your passport if you got too far behind in your taxes. So I think it is reasonable that if you do chose to flee the US to avoid student loans, that in the not too far future that will become something that will cause you to get deported back to the US.

If you go to a country which doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US you should be fine.

Of course, you still can't come back.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

baquerd posted:

Some people get really weird about buying used upholstered furniture. I'm not 100% what they're worried about, but I guess the idea that a bunch of some stranger's skin cells and bodily fluids are more than likely all over that thing, plus the possibility of bugs?

Bedbugs are really, really terrible infestations.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Harton posted:

Well buying a boat in general is bad with money lol.

Hahaha, two quotes I remember overhearing on that topic:
"The two greatest days in your life are the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it"
"It's a giant loving sinkhole that you keep dumping money into until you get rid of it"

My wife fishes a lot and wants to get one someday. I love doing maintenance so I support the idea as long as we can afford it.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

"build equity in your truck"

:stonk:

There's been a lot but I seriously think this wins the thread.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

If your student loan is backed by the government then interest rates aren't too bad in the U.S. either. Even private loans (of which I have two) aren't bad interest wise.

The problem with student loan debt is borrowing too much and deferring for too long. There was a story on NPR last year about a guy who borrowed around 20k that's now over 100k because he kept deferring the payments. I think he's obligated to pay $1000 a month for the next 30 years to pay off the loan (final cost with interest will be close to 400k).

I think you've got the terms mixed up ... in the US, during deferment period the gov't pays the interest accrued, so a balance of 20K will stay 20K after deferment. In a forbearance you arn't required to make payments but interest accrues and is capitalized at the end of the forbearance so that is what you want to avoid.

With private student loans you are hosed because the interest rates tend to be higher and they don't offer deferments or any kind of relief that helps you whatsoever.

No discharge in bankruptcy for you in any of these cases either!

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Haifisch posted:

There are multiple types of federal loans. There are direct subsidized loans(which work as you say, but require you to demonstrate financial need), and direct unsubsidized loans(which do accrue interest during deferment, with the school determining how much you can borrow).

Although with the guy in question, he probably was in forbearance just because deferrment requires specific circumstances.

Sorry you're right. I'm lucky that I only had subsidized loans so I forgot unsubs are worse during deferment (but still not as shittacular as pretty much any private loan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Spermy Smurf posted:

$200 electric bill monthly if using AC?

Dude I would suck dick for $200 monthly for AC in the summer. My electric can be up to $400 in jun-aug for a 3br,2.5ba 80K 80's-mansion we're renting.

Of course we're in Texas though. $400K would buy you a lot of mcmansion in Texas suburbs which even with a new HVAC system would cost a fortune to cool.

• Locked thread