Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Rockzilla posted:

He's a chef, so he upgrades his knives every couple of months to the tune of $700-$1,000 every few months and so on and so on.

I just read this entire thread and this thing baffles me more than many things in it.

What the hell kind of knives need to be upgraded every few months? Is he going from cutco to wustof to shun? What's after that? lasers? Does he not know you can sharpen knives and they're as good as new?

When I was working back of house the chef had a steel that was nearly smooth, and he was adamant that it had another year left in it. A twenty dollar steel. He was a magnificent chef and did most of his work with a cheap as dirt knife (he had a Shun but used it to chop dope).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

51 seconds in: "a historical business opportunity". Holy poo poo, you know its going to be good.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Tales Of Desire posted:

My coworker got a Master's Degree from a for-profit college and years later is still in debt over 100k in student loans. She didn't need the degree to get hired here. She does a good job, probably makes around 60k-ish. But ever since she started here a couple of years ago, she's been making a drive in from about 2 hours away. That's four hours per workday to get from home to work and back again, assuming there's no traffic. Even with one work from home day, that's 16+ hours a week! Between gas, vehicle wear and tear, and personal sanity, the cost seems unsustainable. But again, she's been doing it for years, no signs of stopping.

I will never understand the mindset of the long distance commuter.

I used to work with someone who was making about 35k and commuting an hour's drive each way (Beeton to Toronto, for Ontario people), on public transit, so it was like 2 hours each way. And she lived on a street up there, not like, a farm or something. Granted, she had kids, and wanted a house, but there were closer places: she could have gotten a second job in the time she was commuting and paid the minor difference.

My old boss at a different gig was similar: he'd come an hour's drive via transit, usually took him two hours and change: when it was snowy and he couldn't get transit he'd drive: once it took him 5 hours to get into the office. Again, he just lived on a normal street, by himself.

You're literally pissing away 20 hours of your life every week.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I'm almost positive my mother had something to do with it. Lying to him about the cost, pushing him to do it to spite my dad, something. She's a mentally ill (probably borderline personality disorder) alcoholic living in a house her dead ex-boss bought (and just about every stick of furniture in there that wasn't taken from her last home was bought on credit, so hey, bad with money). Maybe she thinks that by landing him in debt she can keep him from leaving, I don't loving know.

Luckily I severed from all that years ago, but the news that still trickles out from that side of the wall twists me.

My parents are both characters and odd in their own ways, but they're both good people through and through.

The fact that people had to go through life with parents like this makes me feel both lucky and exceptionally sad. Jesus.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Is this your sister in law's house and husband http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453028

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Cicero posted:

It sounds like he's actually Korean, so this is entirely plausible. Every (male?) citizen has to serve.

But yeah I have no idea what he's thinking asking for money with that post history. Probably, "I really need more money for drugs and hope no one looks at my post history."

If that genius is seriously trying to do any kind of narcotic in South Korea he needs his head looked at. Their drug laws make Texas look like Amsterdam.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Guinness posted:

I'm also continually amazed at how little people value their own time. Combine that with ignoring actual cost of owning/maintaining/driving a personal motor vehicle and you get some really bizarre uneconomical behavior.

Like people who will go out of their way to avoid a $3 toll bridge, but to do so takes them an extra 30+ minutes of time and driving an extra 5-10 miles in heavy traffic. I get it that tolls are obnoxious and I don't like them either, but jeez that's less than the Starbucks drink that you just know they're slugging down while they avoid the toll.

I used to live next to some people who literally worked across the street. They decided that they wanted some more spending money, so they sold their house (whose mortgage payments they could easily meet: they told me as much, and I believed them, it wasn't that crazy of an area, and they both were skilled trades, making decent money), and moved to Barrie, which was an hour away (this was in Markham, for Ontario people).

So essentially they took a 30% decrease on their mortgage, and now have to spend 2 hours a day in a car, instead of walking across the street.

My old boss, same thing. He lived an hour and change away from the office, just so he didn't have to spend as much on a house. Yeah, great, but you're losing 10+ hours of your life a week in a car.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather prefer a smaller house (or apartment) close to where I'm working instead of something bigger and pissing away gas and maintenance and hours every day.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

My dad is a thrifty guy, and managed to parlay his love of sailing/sailboats into a decent side hustle. He'd buy a fixer-upper, do all of the work himself* on the weekends over 9-12 months or so, then list it at a high-ish asking price, while continuing to sail and enjoy the boat. Eventually, someone would bite, and he'd buy a slightly bigger fixer-upper, and repeat the cycle. I'm not sure if he came out in the black (I suspect not after slip fees, although his is about as cheap as you can get, it's essentially a co-op), but it certainly didn't cost him too much other than his time, which he enjoyed spending.

Now that he's retired, he makes some income on the side teaching rich people who've just bought a sailboat how to sail/cruise, or delivering boats. Last year he got a free trip across the South Pacific on an Aussie guy's yacht doing the latter. I have a feeling my life priorities might keep me too busy to do something similar, but when I'm back home this fall he's going to take me out on some longer trips so I can at least get some blue water experience, which might hopefully get me some free crewing opportunities, at least.

He's a pretty skilled sailor/all-around-handy-boat-person, and I think he probably could have made a (much more modest) living doing it professionally, but I'm really grateful he stuck with his regular job, and was around a lot more when I was growing up.

*being into boats requires a lot of different skills: sewing, electrical, woodworking, plumbing, painting, etc.

Your Dad sounds pretty drat cool.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Barry posted:

The personalfinance subreddit just got put in the list of defaults. Get yo popcorn ready.

That was my exact first thought as well.

This is gonna be great.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

The episode I watched showed a woman taking a recently deceased rabbit from the side of the road to use its pelt for little craft projects. Later, they showed her serving rabbit stew to her family.

They didn't specify that it was the same rabbit, which is understandable - TLC's main demographic is dumb enough to interpret that as a claim that eating roadkill is a legitimate money-saving idea, then get sick from eating something that's been dead too long. And if it wasn't the same rabbit, making it look like it was is exactly the sort of underhanded bullshit one would expect from a reality show dedicated to showing off humanity at its worst.

The rest of the episode had people washing and reusing paper towels, haggling with (more like hassling) cashiers over purchases of less than $10 and other things that no sane and rational person would classify as legitimate money-saving tips. Giving five dollar blowjobs in a bus station bathroom would be more profitable and less degrading than most of this bullshit.

There was one episode with a Japanese woman who was entirely deranged and hadn't spent money on anything in years. She would dumpster dive to get packaged meals from grocery stores, and then reheat them by mixing a bunch together in a pot. So like, spaghetti, salmon, and two or three other things all mixed and reheated, served to a work friend and his girlfriend, who had to leave to vomit. Also the episode took place in the summer and it was hotter than a snake's nuts in her apartment and she refused to air condition or even use a fan, so it was unbearable, yet she has people over.

Its unfair to exploit the mentally ill for ratings, but what can you do.

Edit: this lady. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z68tH-lnK60 Pants-making GBS threads crazy.

olylifter fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 11, 2014

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

That reminds me... Are there any followups to the TV shows that were on a few (6? 8?) years ago when kids right out of college were buying $600,000 half-townhouses (not even the whole thing, just one side of it)?

My girlfriend at the time watched a lot of them while I read, and I saw single people buying $500,000 houses when their job was working at the GAP or some other clothing store.

Sort of. They didn't do a specific series, but instead followed it on the news when the loans they received were part of the greatest economic collapse since the 1930s.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Zeta Taskforce posted:

What is their next step, considering their inheritance went up in flames? The same day they go to the bank and apply for a loan because she wants to buy another Ferrari.

Completely lost it here. Like it was a Steinbeckian tale of woe and bad decisions to this point, but the second Ferrari takes into absurdity. My lord.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Mantle posted:

If you are wondering why houses cost so much it's because we live in Vancouver.

http://www.crackshackormansion.com/

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Sprewell should have choked some of them to avoid having to feed them.

Dude was good at choking. Not in a sports euphemism sense, literally he was good at choking other human beings.

The fact that he had a career in the NBA after that incident is astonishing. Him and that loving sociopath vick both should have been relegated to working in a Chinese coal mine or something.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

SIHappiness posted:

I was a high school teacher for seven years before I moved on to my current career. I taught a very promising student my third year. She was a minority student from a solid, working class family and would be the first to attend university. She applied for an amazing scholarship offered by one of the local charitable organizations: a literal full-ride (housing and books included) at any state university for her Junior and Senior year, provided she completed the first two years at a community college and kept her GPA above 3.0.

I worked with her on her application and essay, spoke with several members of the selection committee on the phone, and practiced interview strategies for when she had to meet with the committee.

She won the scholarship and for whatever reason decided that instead of an associate's degree (or 60-ish hours of credit) and a free bachelor's degree, she'd rather have something "she could use right now." You guessed it: some business certification from a for-profit school that advertised on daytime TV.

I was absolutely dismayed. No amount of convincing could change her mind. She walked away from $50,000 or so of scholarship money, ruined my credibility with scholarship committee (which caused me to direct another student a couple of years later to get his rec letters and the like from another teacher), and worst of all, squandered a very promising future.

Jesus.

There's a for-profit shithole in London, ON (Westerveldt College) that you'll see people wearing uniforms from sometimes.

I remember seeing a girl on the bus once who couldn't have been more than 23. Kid in stroller, she's in a Westerveldt College Police Foundations getup, replete with windbreaker.

Guarantee she thought she was sacrificing now to provide for the kid's future and all. Meanwhile, she's pissing away 20k a year at a school that not only won't get her onto any police force, will also get her turned down from halfway decent security gigs as well.

I did HR at a security company for a while, and part of my gig beyond recruiting was giving references for employees moving into the police (toronto and peel region police in particular): I had recruiting officers at both tell me that a police foundations diploma would turn them off almost immediately, strictly because they'd have to break them off all the bad habits they picked up in school and teach them correctly. It was easier with a blank slate.

One of the guys I hired spent about 6 months with us before going to Toronto police. He went from film school to security, and is now a fairly good officer from what I hear.

Meanwhile, places like this shithole are putting people in debt for at least 7 years (you can discharge student loans in bankruptcy in Canada), and all they'll get from it is a shot at doing security for $12 an hour, if they're lucky.

olylifter fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 16, 2014

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Trilineatus posted:

Goodbye, new car. Goodbye, eating out. Hello, bike commute.

Bike commuting rules.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Trilineatus posted:

So what you're telling me is to pull a Tuyop and buy the first oversized road bike I can get my hands on and then ride it directly into the San Francisco Bay

Wait who are we kidding I'm an out of shape piece of poo poo, this six mile ride will likely kill me far before the freezing water does

Nah, get a full on pursuit bike with a really aggressive posture and just kill it both ways every day. Make sure to remove the foot retention and front brake though.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

http://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/#sthash.NFmOAc30.BImYLWw1.dpbs

I'm not sure if that's the one, but its still great. This poor bastard.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

rayne503 posted:

I think my sister qualifies for this thread.

She has a well paying job yet can't seem to save money. She takes multiple trips per year, moved into a place with higher rent last year and bought all new furniture. She bought an Xbox One last month.

The other day she said she hasn't taken her son to the doctor or gotten him vaccinated since he was six months old because she doesn't have the money. He's turning three in a few months.

BTW her insurance will fully cover her son's doctor visits. She just has to pay upfront and get reimbursed later. Priorities, I guess.

That's actually pretty frugal on her part. The poor little kid will get rotavirus or measles, it'll hit his unprepared immune system like a freight train, and after a quick outlay for the funeral, she'll have one less area of expenditure.

People who don't vaccinate completely baffle me. Greatest advance in public health since mass sewage systems and people choose not to partake. Madness.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

xie posted:

I work in higher ed and the school pulled all of those awful anti-employee tricks during our last hostile round of contract negotiations.

The 3rd party mediators that were brought in were utterly confused how they could be crying poor, citing the recession, etc while investing billions in capital infrastructure.

America has just become a very anti labor place, it's very disheartening as someone who has 20+ years left in the workforce.

The corporate anti-union thing has really, really taken hold.

Canada as well.

I was getting an ECG done the other day. The technician doing it asked me what I wanted to do after I finished law school, and I told her that I wanted to go into union-side labour law.

She starts ranting about how unions never did anything and always destroy corporations, forcing them to close or move (there's been a bunch of companies here that cried poor when the union wouldn't take a 50% pay cut, and then pulled up stakes and hosed off to some right to work shithole in the south).

I pointed out that this was a corporate thing, attempting to cry poor while saving profits, and that we have weekends and 8 hour workdays because union men and women died for them.

Her response: "oh, I have those things and I'm not in a union".

I had no idea what to respond to that. I just suggested she focus on what she was doing.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

My boss, who's also a good friend of mine and I train BJJ with just bought a Ford Raptor.

Thing costs him $200 bucks to fill up and it lasts him like a week just driving to/from work and gym.

Guy also built up a business from him, alone, in his basement to a 100+ employee, 10 million a year in revenue company in under 5 years, and is raising 4 kids, so I think driving is his only alone/relaxation time and he wants to do it in a ludicrous truck.

I don't think he's put anything in the bed of it yet though.

Edit: Hey neat the avatars changed.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Raptor is loving boss as hell. You're not really supposed to carry anything - it's more a prerunner / serious high speed off road truck. Sure, it's kind of a bro truck but whatever, if you can afford it, go nuts.

That's exactly my thought as well. He certainly can afford it and has the work ethic (and success to go along with it) like nobody I know.

Thing goes like stink too.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

My Ex's brother got married a few years ago. He'd just finished teachers' college and had started working as a teacher, she was on her way into an MBA program. Both of them were astoundingly in student debt: he had 150k, her, 100k. Solution: $50,000 wedding, preceded by their honeymoon, which involved travelling around South East Asia for 6 weeks, which I think ran them $10,000 in flights, etc.

So she defers the MBA program so they can live together as husband and wife for a while. A year later she goes off to MBA school, meets a guy first week of school and falls for him, telling her husband this a few weeks later: their divorce was finalized exactly two years to the day of the wedding.

The girlfriend and I have agreed that when we do get married it'll be a super cheap ceremony (city hall, preferably), and taking any funds we'd have spent on the wedding towards a downpayment for our first house together. My ex's brother's experience is a major contributory factor behind this.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Renegret posted:

Reddit seems a little dry today. That or I've had too much coffee and don't have the attention span needed to read each thread enough.

e: HERE WE GO

My home business finally turned a profit! I made $10,000 this year. My plan is to file for bankruptcy, then use that $10,000 to buy a house.

That cannot possibly be real. Someone's taking the piss.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

melon cat posted:

Keep in mind that declaring bankruptcy in Canada isn't the same thing as it is in the U.S. The process is a lot more arduous and difficult here in Canada, and you lose everything by declaring bankruptcy.

Plus its a huge hassle to discharge your loans. They've turned people down for a loan discharge in bankruptcy for having put money into their RRSPs.

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2000/2000canlii22497/2000canlii22497.html at paragraph 19.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Haifisch posted:

A short but weird one from r/personalfinance.

"Hi. My company has hosed up my pay enough that they figure giving me a truck is a reasonable way to cover it. Why am I not finding another job?"

I saw that as well. Only one person in the thread had mentioned "yeah, your company's going bankrupt. That's likely going to be deemed a fraudulent conveyance by the trustee and subsequently be retracted, leaving you as an unsecured creditor, and therefore hosed."

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

melon cat posted:

And to take things a step further, many people fraud their family members because they think they're 'entitled' to do so. Example- a mom frauding her daughter because "I raised her and paid for her room and board for years". What's more is that these people are usually so unrepentant about doing it.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=df4_1237346909 The reasoning this rear end in a top hat gives always astonishes me: I didn't pay her back because she didn't clean up around the house. Sweet loving jesus.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Anyone that doesn't just ride a horse everywhere is bad with money. A horse don't care about octane levels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

gently caress your honda civic, indeed.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

xie posted:

My coworker bought a used Ducati for about 8500-9000$ and dropped it within the first week, and broke a stupid piece of plastic that cost over $300 to replace. This was his first bike and he's never ridden before.

It's a nice bike but we live in MA so there are years when you can only ride it for 6mo of the year, no place to go fast, tons of traffic, etc. He's of course perpetually broke and bitches about child support payments.

Edit: this isn't the coworker leasing a base model Passat for ~550/mo + insurance.

If that's all that happened to him then he's lucky as hell.

A guy I used to work with bought a GSX-R for his first bike. Three days later on Facebook he's posting from the hospital as he's gotten into an accident riding it and broken his leg.

My dad's ridden motorcycles for 50+ years (he's old) and used to race motocross: he's said repeatedly that he wouldn't touch a sport bike, even in his prime, with a 100' pole.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

There is no way that's real. Its too perfect to not be a parody or something.

1. Makes a bunch of money in stocks, saves none of it
2. Meets a guy on a golf course and makes an investment based mostly on what this guy told him (in addition to like 30 seconds of research)
3. Puts all of his money into one stock
4. Fucks off to Africa, knowing the stock's in the process of making GBS threads the bed and doesn't like, set something up with someone to be able to sell (you can do that, right?)
5. Is now hosed with a gigantic bill to the government, and still a wife/kids at home to take care of.

If it is real then, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waf46eBajkw

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Barry posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2vb71m/i_am_in_the_1_of_student_loans/

This guy is like the poster child for making terrible financial decisions. One after another after another.

Remember that scene in Roger & Me, where they're following around the deputy sheriff who's evicting people, and he's in the process of evicting the woman who'd just gotten married?

What he says in that scene has always stayed with me: something like "if you're gonna get married, get married to someone with money. You can be poor on your own, you don't need help to be poor".

I reckon the same thing could be extended to include having a kid when your combined income is $28 an hour.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

I watched one episode where a dude was on a "no spend" week or something. He would hop on his beat up bike and go basically live like a bum collecting cans and looking for loose change. Then he would go and try to buy food for the day on the money he found. I specifically remember he went to the butcher and was like "hey I've got like $1.57 what will you give me?". So the butcher gives him a sheep head.

He bikes it home to his wife who has this just GREAT look on her face when he shows it to her. I forgot what he made for " wine" but it was equally absurd. Great show highly recommended.

I remember that one. He goes to stay with someone for a few days and brings presents for the kids of the house that he'd made out of garbage. If he wasn't so cheerful about everything he'd be creepy as hell. Instead he just comes off as an eccentric uncle type.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Some of the stories on this site. Holy gently caress http://www.consumeraffairs.com/finance/westernsky-com.html

I applied for a $2,600 loan. However, Western Sky would keep $500 for fees and $2,100 would be deposited into my account. Finally, in a situation and needing whatever I could get, I agreed to the $2,600 loan. Several things: first, their site does not give anything but the rates and does not give any information about the criteria for the loans. Secondly, there's no elaboration on the $500 fees. And they transferred my loan to a company called Cash Call. I will be paying back $14,000 for a loan of $2,600 because the monthly payments go up from $200, to $300 plus... I don't have a problem paying my debt, but $14,000 for $2,600 is a bit too much..."Help”, how do I get out of this mess?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Being a 19 year old student and virgin going to strip clubs 8 times in 2 months and dropping a grand is being bad with money and also pretty bad at life IMO.

http://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/2ymn3b/to_the_strip_club_guy_this_is_important_you_need/

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I've been to two lux as gently caress weddings in the past few years.

One was my ex's brother: he got married at an event theatre in Toronto: open bar, five course gourmet meal for something around 150 people. Total cost, 65k.

The other was my buddy's. Destination wedding in New Orleans at the Ritz Carleton down there. 5 course meal, maybe 50 people this time, open bar (and its at the Ritz, remember). I don't know what the cost was but he said it was well north of 50k: and we got kicked out of the hotel because we were making too much noise and it was keeping Morgan Freeman awake.

Ex's brother: divorce was finalized two years to the day of the wedding. My buddy: separated five months after the wedding.

My parents: married at my dad's boss' house. Reception in the basement. Spent like 300 bucks. 37 years later they're still together. No idea what message this sends.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Nova Scotia you're loving letting me down here.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

nickutz posted:

Stayed at a Ritz last month in Atlanta for a conference I attended and was really unimpressed. They seem to be coasting by on the name.

My buddy had his wedding at the Ritz in New Orleans a couple years back. They dropped like 70k on the wedding and were separated just under six months later.

We also got kicked out of the place for making too much noise at 11 pm. Morgan Freeman was staying in the hotel and called the desk to complain.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Reminds me of all those early groupon stories where businesses got clobbered by groupon demand (and probably gained few if any new customers from it)

http://www.businessinsider.com/london-baker-makes-102000-cupcakes-groupon-deal-2011-11

It seems like a stupid idea for most businesses. If there's a rotating cast of 40 different nail salons running groupons, when is a chronic groupon shopper going to pay regular price?

That happened in Toronto, only it was probably a scam from the start: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/ninety-nine-bucks-for-400-worth-of-organic-meat-seriously/article535056/

I bought into one of the first round ones: it was 40 bucks for $100 worth of meat. I went to cash said voucher in and received, for my sins, something like 8 pounds of meat total: their ground turkey was 10 bucks a pound, their ground beef was 8 a pound, and nothing was priced: you didn't know what you were getting until afterwards. I called the groupon clone to complain, and the store, and was told to come back as they'd make it right, which the dude actually did: he gave me 4 2" thick sirloins to make up for it, which was pretty cool. I didn't buy in to any of the others, because gently caress that.

Dude went on to run a deal through something like 5 different spots, and all told had committed to supplying 1.4 million bucks worth of meat (as per the Globe article: I recall it as being higher).

Then it became a clusterfuck: you had to call ahead to see if you were allowed to use a voucher that day before going, then they restricted the times when you could use them, and finally they just shut the place and reopened with a different name. Totally hilarious. Before they put the restrictions in he had to have a security guard in the store because people with vouchers were freaking out when told they couldn't use them.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

BloodBag posted:

Having lived on Air Force bases for half my life... this poo poo is so common. The other common thing is these poor guys marrying the trashy hoes that infest the bars around bases, who then whelp a child and gently caress everyone when the husband is on deployment. It's loving disgusting how often these guys get cheated on while being shot at.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dependapotamus

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Jody

Both the lovely wife and her cheating on the guy happen so frequently there's terms for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That post about the Coffee Shop Opening Experience and Timeline is loving professional grade, and I can't find it.

Do you think we are making up all of these reasons not to go through with it for fun? How about instead of putting your head in the sand, you counter the points that have been made here?

Here let me paint you a picture, you decide to go through with it.

You spend a lot of time doing fun things like thinking of names for drinks on the menu, coming up with a catchy name and logo, maybe you even pay a goon to do it in SA Mart. The spot you finally find to lease was clearly an old (failed) coffee shop, you're not sure why it failed and assume they must have made lovely coffee. It takes thousands to clean it up, re-pass inspections and get your stuff in there. There was no furniture so you have to buy that, man those $80 Ikea chairs seem cheap until you buy 20. Of course for this coffee shop that doesn't serve poo poo coffee, you need top of the line equipment so there goes another several thousand dollars. Not to mention inventory including pastries and top of the line fresh delivered beans, ca-ching! Finally with only a few thousand dollars left you spend the rest on marketing so a few people actually know your shop exists.

Opening day rolls around and a few people got your fliers and are lining up outside your door, how exciting! You happily sell them croissant and a fine cup of java or espresso. The first day is great, you made over a thousand dollars! High-fiving your partner you close shop and start to clean up. Realizing all of the unsold coffee needs to get poured out and your bakery items are going to be stale so those get thrown out as well. Buying new ones is expensive but you have to have them or people will be there is no food "like Starbucks has".

Over the first week traffic dies down a bit as the novelty as worn off. Maybe one day you come in at the crack of dawn and find two inches of water on the floor! Oh no, your brand new machine broke and has been spewing water all night long! Good thing it had a warranty, unfortunately you didn't purchase business interruption insurance because you had so little money so your shop is closed for a week earning no money and just burning through rent. In a month you are nearly out of funds start using your credit card to buy inventory so you can actually open each day. You'll just pay the credit card down with the profits because you are selling the coffee at a huge margin, you tell yourself. Sadly as time passes, fewer and fewer people stop in most either don't drink coffee or don't bother marching down to your shop to get it and drink the free crappy stuff at work.

Now you have thousands in credit card debt, an obligation for a lease you cannot afford, and no consistent income. You are constantly fighting with your partner over who does how much work, reasons why the shop is not working, and what to do going forward. In the end it doesn't matter as once you default on your lease the landlord sues you, even if you setup an LLC it does matter because you had to personally guarantee the lease. Your credit cards are now mounting fast as you are only paying the minimum. Eventually you close shop, six maybe nine months after you opened. Now both of you have lovely credit scores, tons of debt, and no savings.

You desperately try and find a job, but nothing is available. Finally after an exhaustive search you finally get an offer, to serve coffee in a Starbucks.

• Locked thread