Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I dug into his post history.

It's worse than we thought: the figurines appear to be Star Wars...

Fitting that someone just posted that beanie babies video. That's what this guy probably looks like in 20 years, except he has no kids. Instead, there's 3 guys living with him, still paying off their 90k house.

Sounds like a great setup for a sitcom, if you ask me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Even his website has been foreclosed. Sure buddy, let me hand you my 10k+, I'm certain you'll keep making me 24% interest investing in risky property. Having almost a month of full time experience, that won't backfire at all!

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

I feel much better about my own finances now. I can't guess someones personality from a description of their spending on an internet forum but at least on a financial level, that wife of zaurgs looks like a real... complicated woman.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Is it actually tax fraud to claim too many withholdings reducing your federal withholding? You'd still owe the appropriate amount of taxes, and if you pay by tax day, you shouldn't have any penalties or interest. That's assuming he pays on time in full.

Which he won't because his money is tied up in an endless series of car loans

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Cicero posted:

Poor people are more likely to divorce, not less. Don't let that keep you from your righteous indignation, though!

If there's one thing that I learned from this thread it's that poverty and wedding expenditure don't correlate (through wedding loans etc).

Though one can very well lead to the other!

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

That Brooklyn factory being converted to lots of tiny rooms reminds me of a cool sci-fi story Ballard wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billennium_(short_story)

Probably bad with sanity, staying there

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

A guy I work with switched from fresh water to salt water fish in his aquarium. He's spending more on salt and poo poo to maintain and grow some coral-like structure in there and pumps and whatnot than I imagined possible. Also the fish and live worms etc they eat are much more expensive than the sweet water equivalent.

But I imagine it still doesn't come close to horse levels of money.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Welp I guess we can fill a couple pages with kidchat orrr

Bask in the sadness of this most welcome guest in the BWM thread: a horse-owner. Who rented their horse out for a music video. Which is not a bad idea in and of itself cause we've established by now a horse is EXPENSIVE AS gently caress.

Turns out though, if you're kinda heavy - like Rick Ross is - and don't have a clue about riding/mounting/dismounting a horse that may be a bad idea for the horse cause it broke its back and died. GWM: Ross is paying for the funeral.

Poor Freckles, thought of some sick beats and died..

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

evobatman posted:

I know MLM is hilariously bad with money, but what if you sign up with Amway, Mary Kay, Tupperware or similar and sell them through a retail storefront or on eBay? Or do they have in their terms and conditions that it MUST be sold through homeparties and door-to-door?

Uhh I think they're happy if you manage to sell, doesn't matter how you do it. The problem with eBay is that you lose the social pressure and sales techniques you can apply irl so there's no reason anyone would buy your stuff (cause it's way overpriced). Also, you can't recruit new sellers, which is a big part of MLM income

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Did you just post the records of a joint account with a minor in order to shame them?

It appears they did and it's probably simultaneously the saddest and most hilarious thing I've seen all day

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

ate all the Oreos posted:

For $3 a meal you're probably getting cancer or something which is super BWM

Or mooching off of the salvation army and there's probably a bunch of people who need that poo poo more than you if you're posting on SA

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

WampaLord posted:

The human mind protects itself from realizing you made a bad major decision. People will rationalize anything. If it costs a lot, it has to be good, right?

Also they were shiny and innovative enough at one point that people overlooked the bland (imo) design. Their brand recognition is so high they're even better than your average german luxury car as a status symbol, which also helps.

Plus, in western europe at least, there were quite a few countries giving heavy tax incentives for 100% electric vehicles so that sticker price should be taken with a grain of salt. Especially in smaller countries, they were pretty popular (due to limited range on electric cars). A couple GWM examples include the Netherlands, where it was possible to buy a cool as heck Tesla for 97000 EUR as a business. After various deductions and exemptions (VAT, motor vehicle tax, road tax, no tariffs on fuel due to it being electric, subsidies for clean cars, extra tax deductions for business owners, subsidies for businesses that drive a lot, subsidies on charging stations, etc etc etc) you could recuperate around 50k of that throught various means over the span of your average lease (4 years). You had to have some cash up front but it was pretty insane.

This was around 2012-2013. Starting in 2016 the incentives have been cut way back because they were VERY EXPENSIVE (who would have thought??). Most of these vehicles are starting to come out of their lease periods now which makes for a good way to gauge how much their popularity was dependent the government paying you to drive one. Turns out that they were very much so, over 2016 sales/leases of electric cars have dropped by 66% in the Netherlands, for example. :geert:

Same thing in Belgium (here is 2014 article illustrating a 74k EUR Tesla P85 being a little cheaper in EUR/month over its lifespan as a 37k Mercedes C200) and a lot of other countries I can't be arsed to look up. Not sure how this went in the US but that certainly helped their popularity over here. People'd think that you're doing really well but in reality you could purchase one for the net price of a mid-range family car.

fake edit: those professional reviewers were probably not aware of the long-term issues because they only drove the cars short term. They might've noticed they're a bit plain looking, I don't know. Maybe giant touch screens balance that out for a prospective car buyer. They can also accelerate pretty fast, which is fun :v:

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Ah: gambling addiction, day trading and bitcoin. A BWM holy trinity.

The nerdy middle management guy version of the house flipping, horse owning MLM-mom we've all come to know and love

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Droo posted:

This one cracks me up for some reason, the guy is confident in the loans he picks but doesn't understand interest rates.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5o9bax/understanding_what_x_return_actually_means_angel/

This guy will probably perform on par with that gorilla-managed fund as long as he picks the investments by sticking them on random bananas instead of by gut feeling. He has about the same level of understanding interest and basic finances, at least.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Mercury Ballistic posted:

The only thing more expensive than marine grade is hospital grade. Hospital grade tack and supply for therapeutic horses sounds like a winning combo.

The most expensive prefix is actually '(aero)space'. Stupid money gets involved once something can fly. I wondered whether horses have been in space, but it turns out that (unlike what this image might lead you to believe), they actually have not. A destination wedding to the ice lakes of Mars with your horse might be the Worst With Money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

This seems like a pretty obvious troll

basically Poe's law at work, no way to tell. However, the fact that he deleted his post makes me think there really are people who would consider this (and probably do it).

• Locked thread