Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

A buddy of mine went and listened to the siren song of some mutual friends and now they all have a lovely mortgage together. Naturally they got this property before the housing bubble popped so it's tanked in value.

He's now basically married to these folks financially because holy poo poo they are stuck paying off this stupid house for the rest of their lives. His credit rating is now shot, they keep flailing around on the edge of foreclosure and because the cosigners live below him he can't very easily tell them, "Hey, tenants, your rent is going up" without them murdering him in his sleep (figuratively speaking).

It's an object lesson in why you never *ever* cosign a loan for anyone ever unless you can personally pay off that loan all by yourself.

The level of drama in this situation is nuclear. Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Experiment posted:

I never really cared about all of this except she wanted to borrow $5,000 from me to get a newer, nicer car.
You are the *worst* brother. How dare you not drop 5 grand on your sister so she can buy a kickass car? Ahahahahah the gall of some folks to demand you spend your money on them.

Friends of mine are really really good people but I worry about how far into credit card debt they put themselves. Husband has a good job, wife brings in a little spare change with some etsy work and they keep food on the table and their kids in clothes so nothing is precisely wrong but in conversations with them I hear credit credit credit and I wonder if they have any savings building up or if they are so far in hock that any little emergency is going to wreck them. This is a brand new way of thinking about money for me because until recently the idea was that you had to have credit card and car debt because otherwise you probably weren't an American. Having paid off all my poo poo it's neat to see that you can live without it.

Thanks for the stories everyone.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

I can't really share many stories of budgets I've done for people, but I will share a few tidbits.
~I did try to do a budget for Zuarg

Aahahahah tilting at windmills.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

But after making a good decision, it was time to make some stupid ones. So he bought a boat. A used one that was in pretty shaky condition. Since he didn't have a truck or a trailer, it had to be delivered to a local lake, and he had to pay berthing on it.

Ahahahahah that is awesome. "Welp, just gettin' back on my feet. Time to buy me a boat!" You idiot!

I'm loving these stories, please keep them coming. :dance:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Silly Hippie posted:

Yes! That's the guy. Apparently I missed the second thread though - wonderhangers?? How much money could you conceivably spend on those?

What is wrong with you? Wonderhangers are amazing! I also have this special juice that I bought as part of a multi-level marketing and if you're very lucky then you can purchase my special juice. Oh, have you seen these monogrammed chocolates? They're adorable! I'm so glad I bought several pounds worth for a relative's birthday party! Speaking of which, should I throw money into a college fund for my sister-in-law's kid or pay off my own student loans? Ha ha, lookit how dumb you are. I can do both! What's that? What about my own child? Dunno, she'll have to fend for herself I guess.

Oh Zaurgthread, I miss you so.

I wonder what happened to them. It's been a year or so since the thread closed, I'm curious if they managed to pay down some more debt or if Zaurg ended up dying under a pile of spreadsheets. Last we heard, he was working on a new kid so that may have also changed things.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Ugh, speaking of living beyond your means my parents met a very nice couple while doing their daily walks at the local track. This couple has a couple kids, just like my parents, and are very very Californian in their outlook. They take it easy, laugh a lot and are good company. I think the lady works in real estate and the gent plays in a touring cover band along with real estate stuff. Their kids are very well provided for as far as material things go and between the private schools, computers, new cars and stuff these kids have a pretty easy time.

There's the root of the problem - these nice folks don't have the money to sustain the lifestyle they are trying to live. The cost for these private schools is outrageous and instead of getting the kids involved with buying a car they just get one handed on down. New? Well duh, that way you can add more car payments onto the several other vehicles they already have.

Who has time to make dinner? Everyone in the family *does* have time to hit up Starbucks (especially the daughter on her way to school). Computer problems? Better buy a brand new one to keep competitive.

These poor dorks have never really understood that the huge outlaying of cash that's going on has basically bankrupted them. It's coming and is going to lead to a ton of heartache and disappointment, not to mention the horror of telling their kids "no" when they ask for something. Again, these are friends of my parents and having met them they are really really nice people. It's just... money doesn't mean the same thing it does to people who scrimp and save against future possibilities. For them it's always party time and just go out and throw it on the credit card.

Basically, they are true patriots and it's these darn naysayers who want us to *save* and live within our means that are the real menace! :patriot: God bless Murrica.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:3: lookit those little hedgehogs.

Good post on financial abuse, but the hedgehogs are a real winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

My first association with amusement parks will forever be that SA frontpage article about the fat guy dual wielding turkey legs.

Definitely worth a read... http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/amusement-park-failures/1/

• Locked thread