Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, see that sounds like a great and workable system. A big sandbox play area to drive around in, hide in, etc. You could scan different vehicles to give your character a new altmode as needed (e,g mission requires something off-road, or you need a new disguise).

That's what it's like yeah! You can name and customize your transformer, scan different cars, trucks, and helicopters, choose their colors and stuff. Some missions require different alt modes. Like some require flight so you gotta scan a copter. It's pretty cool! Sadly the combat is pretty mediocre. But the customization and stuff is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That DS game was great, but Fall of Cybertron can't be beat. Vehicle mode is for hauling rear end.

In unrelated news, here's Earthrise Arcee:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't even muster up a joke about that

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I am so sick of female transformers just being shellformers carrying around their entire alt mod on their back. Just let them be regular robos PLEASE. The best ladybots are Titans Return Arcee and Nautica because they're both just repaints/slight retools of TR Blur, meaning they actually looked like transformers and weren't just overtly sexualized robots with giant backpacks of car kibble.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Prime Arcee was really good

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Prime Airachnid had good ideas iirc but was just too small to pull them off.

Anybody getting a Studio Cell Unicron?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I got my first Siege tf today, Sideswipe for just a tenner (or sidesweep according to the tag at Home Bargains). But if they got in that Arcee for £10 I really don't think I could got for that...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
At that point, what's even the use of making them a transformer?

Just make them a full action figure with a car shell you can drape over them. It's the same drat effect.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheDK posted:

Prime Arcee was really good

Oh yeah the FE was dope

Tough to make a bike a shellformer though

e:

That DS game was great, but Fall of Cybertron can't be beat. Vehicle mode is for hauling rear end.

My favorite altmode integration bit in the WFC/FOC games was the Aerialbot space level, specifically the part just before you bust your way inside Trypticon Station. Wide open arena, hardly any terrain, so you're boosting around in jet mode and transforming to break out your heavier weaponry or a melee attack

It was basically five minutes of Macross

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 9, 2020

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It looks like someone broke her legs to stuff her in a suitcase

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

banned from Starbucks posted:

It looks like someone broke her legs to stuff her in a suitcase

Ah, the action figure line of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is finally coming

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jamie Faith posted:

I am so sick of female transformers just being shellformers carrying around their entire alt mod on their back. Just let them be regular robos PLEASE. The best ladybots are Titans Return Arcee and Nautica because they're both just repaints/slight retools of TR Blur, meaning they actually looked like transformers and weren't just overtly sexualized robots with giant backpacks of car kibble.
Cyberverse Clobber and RID 2015 Strongarm are great too.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Ripclaw from Prime had a couple of neat gimmicks to her TF as well. But man, at least Generations Arcee used her thighs and chest as part of the car mode.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That whole figure is just so confusing. I feel like they did a pretty good G1 Arcee in the Thrilling 30 figure, I imagine there was some desire to make this figure distinct from that one but they really should have just refined that design and used the same basic transformation. Aside from the giant backpack in robot mode the vehicle mode looks like a bar of soap because it has to be so thick to fit that folded-up robot under it.

The one good bit I've seen is that it actually doesn't have to partsform, you can just leave the back half of the car attached and fold it up. The backpack is ridiculous, but I think it looks better than the "hoverboard" or whatever the back part of the car is supposed to be when she's standing on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTwPUhuCgVA&t=330s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Magic posted:

It's on the way but I opted for the slow shipping. Who knows when it will arrive.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Knormal posted:

The one good bit I've seen is that it actually doesn't have to partsform, you can just leave the back half of the car attached and fold it up. The backpack is ridiculous, but I think it looks better than the "hoverboard" or whatever the back part of the car is supposed to be when she's standing on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTwPUhuCgVA&t=330s

"I do indeed fink I sound like SEO metatext."

But he's always first or nearly so. He's gotta step up his catchphrase game if he wants to overtake Emgo, though.

Light partsforming doesn't bother me though, seriously. If it all stores in vehicle mode, that's a different story than, say, extra combiner kibble. Might be able to use the hoverboard as a shield?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Anora posted:

Ripclaw from Prime had a couple of neat gimmicks to her TF as well. But man, at least Generations Arcee used her thighs and chest as part of the car mode.

Oh yeah Ripclaw! I even got the repaint Bakudura (sp?) which looks great.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I really love Ripclaw's description as a dim decepticon mom who just wants to look after her teammates. It's a shame all the female villians in previous TF series were femme fatales, at least Cyberverse and from what I understand, the new IDW TF comics are moving away from that too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anora posted:

I really love Ripclaw's description as a dim decepticon mom who just wants to look after her teammates. It's a shame all the female villians in previous TF series were femme fatales, at least Cyberverse and from what I understand, the new IDW TF comics are moving away from that too.

A pity Strika never got a toy, who was essentially like female Onslaught in Animated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got my TCP box the other day but been too busy to get to it. First out is Zeta Fort Max and he may be a bit dated but he's true to the original and will look great with the WJ headmasters.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Dawgstar posted:

A pity Strika never got a toy, who was essentially like female Onslaught in Animated.

I want a Bonnie and Clyde team of Strika and Rampage from Beast Wars

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Reviews of the KOMP-44 are coming out and, well, it shows the KO’s knees have been fixed from the original, tabs together better, and it’s missing the gloss paint finish (possibly why the tabs are improved).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How much is he going for?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

You know you've hosed up when the knockoff of your toy is better quality.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My legit MP10 is probably the worst QC’d/general quality toy I own out of all the primes I have that knocked off that mould, this isn’t a new problem.

Edit: VVV ehhhhhh unless he’s pretty loving perfect that’s not low enough to hook me. I have enough primes, it would just be to play around with the new mould more than anything else.

Happy for anyone taking the plunge though because lol at $400+

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 10, 2020

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

How much is he going for?

I got mine from Baba's eBay store for $90 USD. No trailer, roller, or Diaclone Carly/Spike/Sparkplug, just the main figure and weapons and I think the different heads.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The spoils. Pictured from my sadness closet since my photo area has been packed away.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

She did get a toy. This is her toy.

Which there's a lot of ideas I like in there, although the way it all gets put together is a hot mess.

You can do a lot of interesting engineering when you're willing to make sacrifices on the robot mode for the vehicular mode, and there's lots you can do if you're not anchored to a real-world vehicle (the most interesting real-world vehicles tend to be unique one-offs anyways, and there's tons of toys of weird sci-fi vehicles out there), but when you're not anchored to anything with either robot or alt-mode, it's real easy to lose something in the mix.

And vehicons, with their cybertronian vehicle modes and deliberately more alien and inhuman robot modes live in that territory, so there's a lot of room for error. Obsidian was perfect, although no thanks to the showmakers who from the look of pictures apparently wanted to make him into more of a mermaid.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I should put up some pics of Azalea tonight to contrast with the Earthrise mold. She's broadly doing the same thing, but at the same time, better. Like, yes, she still shellforms a bunch which I think is kind of unavoidable if you're going for the Floro Dery woman-wearing-backpack design. Which also leads to the whole unfortunate woman-folded-up-under-a-car look. (That's not limited to ladybots, per this shot of SS Lockdown

but it is more common for them, due to woman-with-backpack syndrome.)

The difference is, Azalea's practically a mass shifter given the way her legs fold up. She goes from a car mode the size of a mainline deluxe to a robot mode a head taller than MP Tracks or Bluestreak. Forget Galvatron, she oughta be canonically related to Lockdown.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Azalea has a few moments that are a pain in the rear end in her transformation but I’m always impressed with how sturdy she is to pose, and I like her in both modes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Dawgstar posted:

God I would have loved S4 of Animated. I think that was my favorite of all the TF series by the end of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DX9 Deadend is more fun to transform than FT Wildrider and a whole lot less stressful. Sadly he does not feel worth the $100 price tag.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

She did get a toy. This is her toy.

Which there's a lot of ideas I like in there, although the way it all gets put together is a hot mess.

You can do a lot of interesting engineering when you're willing to make sacrifices on the robot mode for the vehicular mode, and there's lots you can do if you're not anchored to a real-world vehicle (the most interesting real-world vehicles tend to be unique one-offs anyways, and there's tons of toys of weird sci-fi vehicles out there), but when you're not anchored to anything with either robot or alt-mode, it's real easy to lose something in the mix.

And vehicons, with their cybertronian vehicle modes and deliberately more alien and inhuman robot modes live in that territory, so there's a lot of room for error. Obsidian was perfect, although no thanks to the showmakers who from the look of pictures apparently wanted to make him into more of a mermaid.

There's a reason I was talking again about my idea regarding Vehicons being Cybertronians who are natively in vehicle mode with the robot mode as their alt-mode* when Blastcharge got brought up a couple pages ago, it's a really intriguing concept

*and yes this means that there's Monoformers out there who are a car rather than a humanoid robot(I'd probably have Roller be one of these)

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Captain Magic posted:

Not for the amount they're charging at that size. Just doesn't fit anywhere. It's bizarre that they didn't at least make him as big as their combiners. I guess he'd work okay for a Legends class collection? I dunno.

Every video I've seen of the transformation makes it look infuriating.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

*and yes this means that there's Monoformers out there who are a car rather than a humanoid robot(I'd probably have Roller be one of these)
After watching the recent toy galaxy on turbo-teen, I want robots who are actively unhappy to not be in vehicle mode too

Just... Just pretend you're a monoformer...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Spiderdrake posted:

After watching the recent toy galaxy on turbo-teen, I want robots who are actively unhappy to not be in vehicle mode too

That's basically the idea, for many Vehicons they only use their Robot modes for interacting with other tribes of Cybertronian and otherwise stay in vehicle mode full time

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Some new Studio Series listings with some new '86 movie figures:

quote:

TRA GEN SS JOLT $18.84
UPC 63050999110 Item 582921125
TRA GEN SS GNAW $18.84
UPC 63050999107 Item 582921126
TRA GEN SS DINO $18.84
UPC 63050998454 Item 582921128
TRA GEN SS DLX KUP $18.84
UPC 63050997823 Item 582921129
TRA GEN SS JAZZ $18.84
UPC 63050997833 Item 582921131
TRA GEN SS BLURR $18.84
UPC 63050997828 Item 582921135
TRA GEN SS BUMBLEBEE $18.84
UPC 63050998455 Item 582921203
I'm assuming it's going to be Bayverse Jazz, but I'd love to be wrong.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Studio Series Blurr!??!?

I am here for that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
STUDIO

SERIES

GNAW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Spiderdrake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI7596AdA3o