Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Medullah posted:

I had a friend of mine read it last year and she yelled at me after she read the last few issues because she couldn't stop crying at work ahaha

This is like everyone I know that plays FF14, especially the new expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Looks like I answered you on TFW. That really sucks!

Oh! My friend posted that, but yeah, waiting to see.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I didn’t like the art for the Beast Wars comic but I’m sad to see it ending. I dug it.

The art grew on me, but now that the story was finally moving I was enjoying it as well.

What is this saga people are referring to?

It’s weird, I feel like Revenge if the Fallen is on tv the most together with the Last Knight despite both being the worst movies. Like last night rotf was on again.
And I tend to tune in for the last 15 minutes or so and I just can’t but being hyped by that big battle. Explosions, bits and pieces flying everywhere. Tanks, helicopters, Devastator, Jet Optimus “Let’s roll!”. That entire sequence just makes me tingle all over.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Darth TNT posted:

What is this saga people are referring to?

Saga Vol. 1: http://www.comixology.com/Saga-Vol-1/digital-comic/31384

Nothing to do with Transformers, just a really good sci-fi space opera. It went on a 6 month break 3 years ago and it's coming back finally.

Book 1 is $4 on Comixology, I recommend it highly

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Argh, this fucker of a seller on Amazon sent me Siege Aimless instead of Siege Blowpipe. I already have Aimless! That was the point of ordering Blowpipe!

E: Looking at it it was probably the slave labour at Amazon itself that hosed up. Still, annoying.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 22, 2022

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dabir posted:

Argh, this fucker of a seller on Amazon sent me Siege Aimless instead of Siege Blowpipe. I already have Aimless! That was the point of ordering Blowpipe!

E: Looking at it it was probably the slave labour at Amazon itself that hosed up. Still, annoying.

You can contact help on there and tell them of the mix up . Chances are you'll even be able to keep that extra Aimless.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Medullah posted:

Saga Vol. 1: http://www.comixology.com/Saga-Vol-1/digital-comic/31384

Nothing to do with Transformers, just a really good sci-fi space opera. It went on a 6 month break 3 years ago and it's coming back finally.

Book 1 is $4 on Comixology, I recommend it highly

Thanks for the link. Space opera is in my wheel house, so I’m going to check it out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Darth TNT posted:

Thanks for the link. Space opera is in my wheel house, so I’m going to check it out.

Hope you enjoy it! There's an omnibus that has all 54 issues out there if you like the story. It's coming back next week after 3 years, supposedly the story is 1/3 through.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'll second how amazing and awe-inspiring Saga is. It might be the most popular AND critically acclaimed non-Marvel, non-DC comic series, and every accolade is well-deserved.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Last Call posted:

You can contact help on there and tell them of the mix up . Chances are you'll even be able to keep that extra Aimless.

So I hear, but there wasn't even an option for that that I could see. Where should I be looking?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dabir posted:

So I hear, but there wasn't even an option for that that I could see. Where should I be looking?

Amazon does make it kinda hard to find.

Okay go to Amazon
Scroll to the bottom and click Help
Scroll down again and you'll see Browse Help Topics, at the bottom is Need More Help?
Just put your mouse over it and you'll see a contact us pop up to the right of it.
Go from there.
You'll likely chat talk with a person and they can give you a refund or will try to send another if they follow the script.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That just put me through to their bot, which redirected me to the normal returns process. Maybe I'll get better results in the morning.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Darth TNT posted:

It’s weird, I feel like Revenge if the Fallen is on tv the most together with the Last Knight despite both being the worst movies. Like last night rotf was on again.
And I tend to tune in for the last 15 minutes or so and I just can’t but being hyped by that big battle. Explosions, bits and pieces flying everywhere. Tanks, helicopters, Devastator, Jet Optimus “Let’s roll!”. That entire sequence just makes me tingle all over.
Bad movies are always on TV more that good ones. I've always assumed it's because they're cheaper to get the broadcast rights for.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sad that IDW lost the Transformers liscence. Biggest mistake they made was Autobot Megatron IMO. If he had been closer to his typical saturday morning cartoon evil it probably would have been more acceptable, but when someone is that evil it's impossible to buy into the idea of a redemption arc. We saw this Megatron kill countless humans on earth for little reason. Getaway and his mutiny also felt like a total strawman of people who didn't like it too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have to disagree. Automotive Megatron is my favorite thing ever done with the character. The scene where he goes off on Ravage is probably my favorite Megatron scene of all time in any medium.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Autobot Megatron has some really high points but after Barber was no longer Roberts' editor, the tone starts to get weird and it starts to feel like the comic is too aggressively reacting to criticism and defending itself in awkward ways, like the Mutineers arc.

At least not being an editor gave Roberts the room to big time stick the landing on Optimus Prime and Unicron, which are underrated greats even with the Hasbroverse stuff.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/tfw2005/status/1485272622120140804

An Arcee, that transforms.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Blasphemy!

My favorite is still the Titans Return one.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Dabir posted:

That just put me through to their bot, which redirected me to the normal returns process. Maybe I'll get better results in the morning.

Just type "Agent", it'll skip the steps.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BooDooBoo posted:

Just type "Agent", it'll skip the steps.

Didn't even give me any chance to type, just had buttons to click.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There were a lot of individually interesting moments after the big event where Megatron became an Autobot, but none of the story actually went anywhere, while in the new IDW canon, the story was always on the way to somewhere, but nothing ever actively happened in the moment to take note of.

Deathsaurus seemed real neat, but nothing ever happened with him. Characters died off for little to no reasons, but their actual death scenes were big and dramatic, even if they would go entirely unmourned and unmissed by the horrifyingly uncaring world they lived in. Megatron having a weird philosophy miner mentor? Functionists? Seacons? Maximus Ambus? Megatron being a weird hybrid between two "ethnic" groups that we only briefly hear about the cultural importance of? Doctor Who episodes with Nightbeat? Nautica? A guy selling lobotomized members of his own kind? All interesting, none of it actually builds up to anything beyond a brief diversion. I remember President Starscream being more interesting, even if it's a bit less fun to play around with the idea of an evil president now, and Windblade's adventures on alternate cybertrons were...something.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
The "Megatron as Autobot" arc is the best Transformers story ever told. Yeah, there's a lot of weird poo poo around it, and a lot of aborted storylines due to the reboot happening when it did, but that's the risk a writer takes when he goes for the long game, as Roberts did. The mutiny is not a knee-jerk response to readers pointing out the (very obvious) fact that Megatron is an impossible monster that the command crew was getting far too buddy-buddy with, it's a very obvious planned plot. Getaway may be a narcissistic rear end, but the Autobots that join and support him do so out of a genuine belief that Megatron doesn't deserve redemption. And the end of the series more or less supports that idea, while remembering that nobody is all one thing.

Is it all 100% successful? No, but the fact that someone got to tell that story with toy robots is pretty amazing. And that's leaving aside the massive numbers of new fans, especially LGBT+ fans, who were brought into the fandom by the representation and inclusiveness Roberts always injected into the storytelling. I've given those comics to people who have never even looked at a Transformer before and all of them had some plastic version of their favorite character on their desk or dresser within a couple months. MTMTE is an extraordinary work.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
A lot of people like to blame the powers that be for mucking things up but I came to view Roberts as simply not being a good enough writer to deal with a mandate or two when tossed a curveball. There have been lovely cross overs in the history of comics and they kept on going after, Roberts couldn't manage it. It probably didn't help that all the praise he was getting affected him. He tripled down on the stuff people loved and it was too much. If people supposedly loved what he was doing as much as some keep saying he should have been able to retain readership but it was dropping like a stone. At some point you got to realize it wasn't just Hasbro but the writer at the core of the problem but most people didn't want to hear that and it's easier to blame Hasbro than Roberts. I was a huge fan myself of what he was doing but almost every resolution he did soured me on him as the book went on. He should have went with the original plan of Tailgate dying for example but he wanted to make the readers first and foremost happy which admittedly did make them happy but it was still jarring, you could tell something changed after Cyclonus stabbed Tailgate with the sword. It reeked of a change. Instead of being a mercy killing it revived him. Go figure. The series became far too soap opera as it kept going on, if it was dialed back some I believe it could have made a big difference readership wise.

That all said you'd think I hate everything Roberts did and that's not true. I actually loved what he did initially, and he set up some very good mysteries and plots, plus he was great at making some great holy poo poo moments. If he had kept on going as he had I could see myself being a huge fan all the way through. Ironically if he did not listen to the readership so much I believe he would have succeeded far more than he did.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Megatron as an Autobot was dire. They could have approached it with a modicum of respect, but everyone gets sucked into the Megatron Dick Vortex. Boo hoo, Space Hitler is sad he killed a bunch of his own people and genocided organic races. It's straddling the line between asinine and borderline offensive.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Witchcraft

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Megatron as an Autobot was dire. They could have approached it with a modicum of respect, but everyone gets sucked into the Megatron Dick Vortex. Boo hoo, Space Hitler is sad he killed a bunch of his own people and genocided organic races. It's straddling the line between asinine and borderline offensive.

It's funny to see the phrase "Megatron Dick Vortex" here on SA when I know the person who coined it.

Anyway JRo definitely was reacting to criticism and was also constantly namesearching on twitter.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

It's funny to see the phrase "Megatron Dick Vortex" here on SA when I know the person who coined it.

Anyway JRo definitely was reacting to criticism and was also constantly namesearching on twitter.

I think I have friends who are friends of the person who named it. But it's accurate as hell.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah Roberts was the best and worst parts. His resolutions weren't satisfying. Overall I don't blame him, it was an enjoyable ride until it wasn't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/1485345176151334913

James talking about the UK Transformers stuff we almost got.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I enjoyed the whole MTMTE pretty much and never finished reading through Lost Light cuz of just like..at the time it was like "We just had a huge heavy and intense arc to end the comic. Also we just elected a horrible dickhead into the White House. Can we NOT go back to a bleak and horrible AU for a little while? Have some fun first like the old days?" I dunno I've said it before but I basically dropped all the comics after TAAO was over. I liked that one too much :x

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The idea of Megatron as some kind of "necessary" revolutionary gone wrong that Cybertron needed to escape the tyranny of its old world order is really interesting, and it was started back before MTME when it was established that Optimus was inspired by an early version of Megatron's philosophy before Whirl inspired him to accept violence as a tactic, and it's kind of in the spirit of how the comics had already been leaning with all those existential threats that the Autobots and Decepticons kept having to unite against.

The idea that the old order he was rebelling against was so old and so long ago that the things it was rebelling against were basically totally forgotten and none of the old prejudices are around at all...isn't good. It might've helped if that were reinforced somewhere, maybe with the civilian refugees that weren't covered enough anyways. It sure was an idea to have Megatron reject violence as part of his penance, maybe it would've meant more if it happened onscreen instead of being a big twist reveal. I don't feel like he visibly mourns the deaths he's caused intensely enough, the whole Necrobot thing seemed pretty artificial.

What stands out the most is that in the rest of the comics (and in fact, in most of the franchise), the big thing that makes Megatron bad isn't what he's done to the Autobots, or to the rarely-present civilians of Cybertron, it's that he was willing to expand the war to invading and conquering other planets, which admittedly isn't covered much, especially after the comics left Earth never to return, but it's implied that he had some whole Hitler thing about the supremacy of mechanical life that's never really fully examined in MTME/Lost Light, and one of the loose, aborted plot threads may have even been planned to be about Megatron's interstellar aggression being necessary to deal with the threat of other galactic belligerents? Very weird. The original cartoon is actually more charitable than that, with the Decepticons only accidentally ending up on Earth, and just wanting to get back home (and later to get enough Energon to keep Cybertron running under their rule).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The thing is, the Barber comics DO get back to the anti-organic bigotry, because they DO go back to earth in a big way and it's great. Optimus triple-dog-dares Soundwave to try to read a human mind, which Soundwave says is impossible because organic beings don't have minds. Then he tries, and succeeds, and immediately surrenders out of guilt and grief at being a mass murderer.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There was some amazing individual moments in the Megatron arc, but I reject the premise that he can be reedeemed outright. The person who compared him to hitler was being too nice, he's actually far worse. If he had been potrayed in a more synpsthetic light and been less outright genocidal in earlier stories that might not have been a problem. Can it really be said that his change of heart even makes any sense for the character from previous stories?This is a big problem with the IDW comics as a whole, none of the individual stories add up to a coherent whole and often are directly at odds with each other.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't like where the arc went but the concept of Megatron trying to find redemption was fascinating. Once you relaunched the book into LL all the plots lost their way.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think, of all continuities, Transformers Prime and RID did it the best where Megatron has his Come To Jesus moment, which required him to literally die and then be reborn as a slave under the most evil tyrannical entity in the entire canon until he is ultimately saved by the sacrifice of his oldest, truest friend.

And then he fucks off forever into perpetual exile that nothing brings him back from.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Holy poo poo the MS tape squad is so loving cute! I just want to eat them like candy.

I bought the MS Magnus as well and he was WAY bigger than the description - oh well gently caress scale!

Duck Stab!
Oct 21, 2020

HERE I COME, CONSTANTINOPLE!

Those cassette bots look very fun.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Really makes me wish that Cyberverse* as a concept had lasted long enough for them to have done a G1 style line, cause those 3rd party ones are great, but they're sold at prices that are absolutely ridiculous for what you get

*Hasbro really needs to put a moratorium on reusing line and show names, cause at this point it's just getting really confusing

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Ravage is super posable! Only problem is some parts are so small and delicate that I’m afraid I’ll break them. The joints with the rods are pretty tight. The tips of Rumbles little blasters slide out and they are insanely tiny and thin.

Makes me feel like a clumsy fat fingered giant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rhyno posted:

I don't like where the arc went but the concept of Megatron trying to find redemption was fascinating. Once you relaunched the book into LL all the plots lost their way.

This is mostly my opinion.

The idea of a huge cartoon villain seeing that their villainy is wrong and them having to deal with it is a fascinating idea. While I think a bunch of the moments of Megatron seeing his actions as explicitly wrong from the end results of them was well done, like the flowers, but there was an over all cohesion that was not there.

I always have had a lot of misgivings about his pre-war sympathetic side though. There really wasn't enough back story from that base to see where he went from guy with beliefs that were "we should all be equal," to ones that were corrupted through either the cruelty of the rulers of cybertron or just his own ego to justify his shift to super-tyrant narratively. I always kinda felt like the Senator Shockwave thing should have been with him instead of Optimus.