Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Rhyno posted:

I had Machine Wars Starscream (also a repaint).

I remember wanting him, he looked so cool.

Also tried to get a Grimlock during this time but they sold out. It was a blue version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Last Call posted:

Something wanted to ask some here, does anyone else remember Machine Wars?

It's an extremely small amount of TF's made after the failure of Generation 2.

I remember I had Soundwave who came with a large rocket/missile, Optimus Prime who was really Thunder Crash, and Sandstorm or Whirl who was a blue helicopter.

Even had a red Snarl and Slag with one being green. Didn't have them all the same year but they weren't that far apart either.

It was an odd time especially as I could swear some of it was said to have only shipped in Europe but up here in the North we got a few things as well.

Or maybe it's just a lot of mistaking various redecos.

So, much like MW Optimus, Soundwave was a repaint of Stalker from the immediately pre-G2 Predators (Decepticon counterpart to the Turbomasters), and Sandstorm was Rotorstorm. Soundwave didn't have his launcher, and Sandstorm's, being integral to his chopper mode, were neutered to remove the launcher mechanism leaving only the turbine shell. There were also some basic-class toys with an automorph function like the '96 Beast Wars basics had.

Red Snarl and Green Slag were G2. (Grimlock was released in silver, then light blue, then dark blue. Slag in silver, then red, then green... and Snarl in silver, then green, then red. )

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 12, 2021

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Phy posted:

So, much like MW Optimus, Soundwave was a repaint of Stalker from the immediately pre-G2 Predators (Decepticon counterpart to the Turbomasters), and Sandstorm was Rotorstorm. Soundwave didn't have his launcher, and Sandstorm's, being integral to his chopper mode, were neutered to remove the launcher mechanism leaving only the turbine shell. There were also some basic-class toys with an automorph function like the '96 Beast Wars basics had.

Red Snarl and Green Slag were G2. (Grimlock was released in silver, then light blue, then dark blue. Slag in silver, then red, then green... and Snarl in silver, then green, then red. )

Sounds about right.

I loved Rotorstorm, thought he had one of the nicest overall designs. That and his missiles fired and went pretty far. It's how I ended up losing said missiles.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

The_Doctor posted:

I know I've said this before, but I wish G1 Grimlock didn't have so much of his kibble hanging off him all the time. It means the transformation is going to be exactly the same every single time, and to me that's dull. Why would I buy SS86 Grimlock if I already have the incredibly good MP one?

I mean look at them.

The MP one has godawful shoulders and skinny legs, mainly. It really hasn't aged well, the SS one's proportions are much better. And it doesn't fit the aesthetic of the rest of the Studio Series. I already replaced the MP with Fanstoys Grinder anyway, so I wasn't going to say no to the first decent mainline release of Grimlock since G1, even with the smoke chest nonsense.

Third party could also stand to make him some decently poseable T-Rex arms, though. That's one area the MP has it soundly beaten.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Xenomrph posted:

Plus repaints in Adidas track pants

Amazon or Pulse Selects Exclusives.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Last Call posted:

I remember I had Soundwave who came with a large rocket/missile, Optimus Prime who was really Thunder Crash, and Sandstorm or Whirl who was a blue helicopter.

Even had a red Snarl and Slag with one being green. Didn't have them all the same year but they weren't that far apart either.

It was an odd time especially as I could swear some of it was said to have only shipped in Europe but up here in the North we got a few things as well.

Machine Wars was a Kay Bee Toys exclusive, which is why you never saw much of it. Very weird choice by Hasbro, or Kenner I guess at the time, since Kay Bee was never much of a toy store powerhouse even at their peak.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Machine_Wars

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Someone local was selling off their collection and I got Universe Cyclonus for €10. I am very happy with him. Feels weirdly more like the skeletan IDW version than any of the later figures.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Last Call posted:

At least in the US it was a KB Toys exclusive line meant to cheaply test the waters regarding returning to the old Autobots vs Decepticon concept after Beast Wars proved that Transformers still had life in it, probably the same reason Beast Wars II and Car Robots both had a kid of vehicles vs beasts

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I got 2 Machine Wars figures from this glorified Chuck-e cheese place in IL for prize tickets. I just thought they were knockoff transformers at the time.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I am surprised we haven't gotten a Machine Wars Soundwave from Doubledealer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Personally I'd rather see Stalker and Cybertron Defense Red Alert first.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

At least in the US it was a KB Toys exclusive line meant to cheaply test the waters regarding returning to the old Autobots vs Decepticon concept after Beast Wars proved that Transformers still had life in it, probably the same reason Beast Wars II and Car Robots both had a kid of vehicles vs beasts

Back in the day there was a KB outlet about an hour north of me. I used to make that trek every few months and load up on cheap poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Xenomrph posted:

Anyone here have G2 Dreadwing with Smokescreen? Is he cool? If so, is he $70 cool? :rodimus:

In terms of play value, you'll rarely find much better in all of g1 or g2 than dreadwind and smokescreen. They're cool looking and really fun to fiddle with

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Response to that mold was so negative I'd be kind of surprised to see it pop up again, despite how versatile it would be for remolds. I liked it fine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Last Call posted:

Here in the UK/EU, we got the multicoloured dinobots as part of G2.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
They showed up in the US too, have the blue Grimlock lying around here somewhere

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my favorite music genre, CYBERMETAL

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I want SS86 Sludge to be Commander class and come with the accessory of a giant door with a crushed prosecutor underneath it.

I'm hoping SS86 will finish all 5 dinobots. Snarl is technically in the movie (for all of about 2 seconds in the ruins of Autobot City...)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder is Sludge will be commander class in the same way Rodimus is. A leader class with a big accessory, maybe like Swoop.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If anyone wants Kingdom Arcee I accidentally got two of them (completely forgot I preordered it), so I'll give it away at cost (local pickup in Michigan) or cost plus shipping.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder is Sludge will be commander class in the same way Rodimus is. A leader class with a big accessory, maybe like Swoop.

If it doesn't come with googly eyes I might cry.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
MP Skids and Reboost are up on BBTS and Pulse, probably other places too.

Looking at BBTS, they also seem to have some of the older MP market exclusive/preorder stuff up for sale, like chromed MP Sideswipe jackhammer/piledrivers, MP Bumblebee's 1.0 battle mask face, MP Wheeljack's Hypnospace-Chip Disruptor, and MP Prowl's black and chrome shoulder cannons.

Also a buttload of those collector coins, apparently.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Captain Invictus posted:

In terms of play value, you'll rarely find much better in all of g1 or g2 than dreadwind and smokescreen. They're cool looking and really fun to fiddle with

Welp you guys convinced me, I just bought it. :shepspends:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Knormal posted:

Machine Wars was a Kay Bee Toys exclusive, which is why you never saw much of it. Very weird choice by Hasbro, or Kenner I guess at the time, since Kay Bee was never much of a toy store powerhouse even at their peak.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Machine_Wars

drrockso20 posted:

Here in Canada we could get them through the Christmas Wish Book from Sears. Anyone remember that?

During the 80's it was a childs dream book.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely remember the Sears wish book but I don't recall ever seeing any exclusive transformers in there. Then again it's been over 20 years so holy poo poo haha

The actual physical Sears store in the mall out here was a really sad time warp back to the late 90s well into the 2010s; I'm pretty sure you could still find beast wars transquitoes in their toy section even then

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Tighclops posted:

I absolutely remember the Sears wish book but I don't recall ever seeing any exclusive transformers in there. Then again it's been over 20 years so holy poo poo haha

The actual physical Sears store in the mall out here was a really sad time warp back to the late 90s well into the 2010s; I'm pretty sure you could still find beast wars transquitoes in their toy section even then

Well it's where I got the bots I mentioned earlier in the thread: G2 Dinobots and Machine Wars stuff. I don't believe Canada had KBtoys. Not anywhere near where I was.

Funny enough despite Toys R Us falling out in the US for awhile there ours did manage to stay in business and continue as they had.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Tighclops posted:

Yeah, it's wild how long some stuff just hangs around. I saw some figures from the hit motion picture Warriors of Virtue on the pegs a couple of years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's been ages but there used to be a Target on the "bad" side of town and it was well known among collectors for being a treasure trove of past their expiration date toys. I remember going there with a friend in 2004 and finding full pegs of Beast Wars figures.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

All this is doing is making me realize that finding Beast Wars toys in the early 2000's would be like going to a store now and finding Thrilling 30 stuff, which makes me crumble into dust because I think "well that was only a couple of years ago" and realize no... it's not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Robot Style posted:

All this is doing is making me realize that finding Beast Wars toys in the early 2000's would be like going to a store now and finding Thrilling 30 stuff, which makes me crumble into dust because I think "well that was only a couple of years ago" and realize no... it's not.

It's wild how quickly time passes in toy collecting.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

You kids and your fancy "Generation 2" transformers, back in my day we had Generation 1 and they were superior.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Medullah posted:

You kids and your fancy "Generation 2" transformers, back in my day we had Generation 1 and they were superior.

You can pry my G2 Rotor Force figures from my cold dead hands.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Robot Style posted:

There's a recurring thing in this thread and other discussions where people are like "Why are they making X, we just got X in Y line so recently??"

and you look it up and it was half a decade back

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I think the modern stuff is super cool. Even wild stuff like the bone dinos are lots of fun. Too bad modern kids won't ever play with them because they aren't a Minecraft/Roblox digital gambling item

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Vaporware posted:

I think the modern stuff is super cool. Even wild stuff like the bone dinos are lots of fun. Too bad modern kids won't ever play with them because they aren't a Minecraft/Roblox digital gambling item

Good, maybe that means I can find them in store!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

MP Skids and Reboost are up on BBTS and Pulse, probably other places too.

Looking at BBTS, they also seem to have some of the older MP market exclusive/preorder stuff up for sale, like chromed MP Sideswipe jackhammer/piledrivers, MP Bumblebee's 1.0 battle mask face, MP Wheeljack's Hypnospace-Chip Disruptor, and MP Prowl's black and chrome shoulder cannons.

Also a buttload of those collector coins, apparently.

I hope Reboost's bio indicates that he's seeking treatment for his obvious case of primus apotheosis.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Medullah posted:

I would argue that metallic green Beachcomber is the superior beachcomber.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Ark is back up for pre-order on Pulse if you missed it the other day.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Finally caved yesterday and took home an Optimus. The Netflix version with the yellow axe and shield and no trailer was on sale, so. It's a good mold!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ollie's has Earthrise Prime for $20 in their newest ad.