Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Can he take his tail off and use his left arm like a regular dude? Don't forget about that.

There is a YouTube video showing how you can mod him to do so. Simple sawing off of two pegs and it looks seem less. Makes me want to dig out my jewelers saw. Oh, and to find Megs in the first goddamn place...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Keldroc posted:

I'm a big fan of the Maketoys Seeker mold. Obviously I can't compare to the Takara 2.0 one because I've never seen one in person, but I'm real happy with the MT version. The new Takara one will have to have some stellar reviews to convince me to buy the Seekers a fourth time.

i own the maketoys dirge and he's pretty great, i like the look of the hasbro starscream's face and feet more, but i'm kind of worried about the quality control of masterpiece poo poo lately. i don't want to drop two hundo on something thats gonna show up already broken like that hound did for some people.

the smart move would have been to buy the cyclonus and then wait for an improved KO of the takara starscream, but i was too slow

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Masterpiece Arcee is very good quality-wise, people just don't like her collar and the way it interferes with her bust. Takara MAY have turned things around, I guess we'll see with Starscream.

I realize I'm completely ignoring the MP Beast Wars characters here... didn't Tigatron come out recently too? How was he?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
My Tigatron was solid, no QA problems, just the absurd price all the MP BW figures have due to their intricate paint jobs and excessive number of accessories. My Takara Hound was fine, too, but I rarely encounter these "widespread" problems unless it's something that affects literally every copy of the toy, like the problems with XTB's Drag Strip.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i found a decent price for quietus on ebay (more than i'd have paid on showz but not much more), and from a seller verified as legit on tfw2005, so i guess he will be my last big tf purchase for a while.

then i can wait for reviews to come in for the official starscream and see if a good KO comes from it.

the legit MPs i own are the very first optimus, exhaust, and loudpedal, and the second two have both broken in small ways. the stand peg broke off in loudpedal's back the first time i put him on it (not as i was doing it, i left him on it and came back to him on the floor lmao) and the clear plastic on one of exhaust's wings has cracked at the hinge.

by contrast the KO megatrons (normal and bw) i own are both made of good plastic, and very durable. idk why they use such crappy plastic on the official ones. maybe i just have bad luck, but nearly every release ive read about has had QC problems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Quietus is indeed an amazing figure, I'd say of all the FT figures I owned only their Motormaster is better.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

hopefully the limited colour one still comes with the idw pieces as well, cause i'd like to have the samurai looking option to pose with my star saber

the irontrans star saber is neat, but i still havent transformed it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

hopefully the limited colour one still comes with the idw pieces as well, cause i'd like to have the samurai looking option to pose with my star saber

the irontrans star saber is neat, but i still havent transformed it

Quietus-T did include the Samurai bits. I know this because when I went to sell mine for the stupidly inflated price at the time I couldn't find the long sword and had to dig through a dozen bins to find it.

Take a bunch of pics of that Star Saber, I was going to get it but then the MOTU sickness got to me.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Quietus-T did include the Samurai bits. I know this because when I went to sell mine for the stupidly inflated price at the time I couldn't find the long sword and had to dig through a dozen bins to find it.

Take a bunch of pics of that Star Saber, I was going to get it but then the MOTU sickness got to me.

my phone camera is not doing great right now but here's a pretty illustrative pic of him:

he has a double ab crunch, double knee bend, individually articulated toes, front foot, and heel, which is great for posing him in dynamic poses. double elbow bend, nice fingers with some side-to-side play (without feeling flimsy like kfc hands), panels you can open on the big shoulder pieces if you want to move the upper arm around more. the wings on the chest can fold around a bunch to let you move the arms as well.

the sword slides into a kinda circular slot in his hand which is very secure. basically all his major joints are die-cast, he's very heavy.

the only complaints i have are that the neck articulation isn't great (his star saber helmet fits over the smaller guy head, so you're reliant on that ball joint), and it was kind of a pain in the rear end to fit the smaller guy into the chest because the way the smaller guy folds up isn't super clear. you have to fiddle around with how he's folded a bit.

i think the official one is a better looking like, heroic autobot cartoon star saber. but if you want an idw style evil star saber, this guy has a sharper look to him, and a more muted red and blue.

i've not transformed it because i think star saber's combined vehicle mode looks stupid. I have transformed the little guy into the fighter jet and that was a fun transformation.

here's some better professional photos if you wanna see the other angles of him:
https://tformers.com/iron-trans-ir-v01-star-blade-hi-res-toy-photography-gallery-by-iamnofire/35902/news.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man that looks good. But I think I'm still good with the MP. But if they give us a solid Generations one on the level of the current Studio guys I might sell that guy off as well.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Still surprised they didn't use the Sky Shadow/Overlord mold to do a Star Saber.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Keldroc posted:

Still surprised they didn't use the Sky Shadow/Overlord mold to do a Star Saber.

They did, but it was Japan-only.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

my phone camera is not doing great right now but here's a pretty illustrative pic of him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVatXN5YYbY

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They did, but it was Japan-only.

That was Dai Atlas, not Star Saber

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I hate to bring up stuff that is only kind of sort of related to Transformers, but can someone explain to me what’s going on with BotCon and someone called Brentasaur (who I know is a Transformer content person I think but I only know him from Thew’s shoutouts to him). It’s been all over my Twitter feed and no one is really explaining anything!!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I hate to bring up stuff that is only kind of sort of related to Transformers, but can someone explain to me what’s going on with BotCon and someone called Brentasaur (who I know is a Transformer content person I think but I only know him from Thew’s shoutouts to him). It’s been all over my Twitter feed and no one is really explaining anything!!

https://twitter.com/Brentosaur/status/1393616408274210825

I have no idea who this person is and I've never been to a transformers con, but after reading this twitter thread it sounds like Brentosaur was harassed and took some time away from social media.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Brent is a rather well known fan on Twitter. The new BotCon convention still has a number of people who used to run the old Transformers Collectors Club in it, including Pete Sinclair, who is notoriously racist and an all around terrible boss and poor editor for a lot of the Club original fiction (the writers of Beast Wars Uprising heard him tell them "There are no Micromasters in BWU" when they'd featured heavily in the story already). His actions led to things like David Willis quitting the comic he was doing for the TFCC magazine because Sinclair was that terrible. He also tried to downplay certain things like the hacking of people's credit card information on the TFCC website.

Brent was one of the many people to speak out against Pete's continued involvement with the "new" BotCon, and as a response, he got harassed by a bunch of their toadies and "fans" and even got approached transparently by folks like you saw in the stuff DJ posted above me. He felt unsafe, so he deleted his Twitter. Lots of people like Brent, so they wanted to make sure he knew he was appreciated.

Pete is just. Let's not mince words here. Pete Sinclair is awful. He talks about how he shouldn't be judged and how unfair to him people are, while he uses his social media to spread hate towards POC and LGBT people. Don't be fooled by any of the people sticking up for this jackass.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nodosaur posted:

That was Dai Atlas, not Star Saber

Oh, my bad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Thew is right, Tories out. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4D_YvVsDlM

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, that was an unexpected wisdom drop mid-video.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

lmao, i like doing the outrageous pelvis thrust because almost every promo image of a transformer with an ab crunch does it and i think its funny

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
That Botcon stuff is terrible but not entirely surprising.

I don't know what it is, but in my experience a lot of TF fans are simultaneously poo poo with social skills and giant douche-idiots when it comes to everything else. I hate it.

I have fun at cons, but holy gently caress the majority of the population is stinky and lovely in nearly every way possible.

e: How hard is it to:
1) have fun with toys
2) have fun talking about and/or playing with toys

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheDK posted:

I have fun at cons, but holy gently caress the majority of the population is stinky and lovely in nearly every way possible.
I appreciate the RoC guys labeling themselves as RoC guys with lovely t-shirts at least so you can see them coming.

Except that time hamster was like "gently caress those RoC guys" and the dude he was talking to was wearing the RoC t-shirt underneath his sweater.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of people who end up devoting a lot of their time and energy to their weird hobby end up not being great with more normal social skills. Especially if their hobby ends up being wrapped up in a lot of the weird and bad preconceptions about "nerd" identities.

I guess a lot of hobbyism is intentionally constructed to avoid political or otherwise contentious topics, so when the topics start coming up and can no longer be avoided, you'll end up being surprised by what people are like outside of their hobby. And over the last few years, politics has heated up enough that it's hard for that to stay ignored (along with people starting to acknowledge that some hobbyist communities have been made with systemic bias of their own and trying to change that). It's all a mess.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Spiderdrake posted:

I appreciate the RoC guys labeling themselves as RoC guys with lovely t-shirts at least so you can see them coming.

Except that time hamster was like "gently caress those RoC guys" and the dude he was talking to was wearing the RoC t-shirt underneath his sweater.

Heh, good ol’ Dominick. (gently caress those guys)

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My current office display

https://imgur.com/gallery/wXeTHsa

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why do you need three Rungs

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Those are his brothers, Ring and Rang

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why do you need 5 Rungs

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The mortal men doomed to die need 9.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/swittcraft/status/1393665983500496896

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

to climb the corporate ladder

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nodosaur posted:

why do you need 5 Rungs
are you rungshaming, are you saying they're having bad rung fun?

Also Botcon is the con that yelled at a handicapped person in a wheelchair for sitting in line, they are definitely a group Hasbro should absolutely cleave as far as possible from

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

to climb the corporate ladder
:hmmyes:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://youtu.be/rY7-mfEz0Y4

This is a neat video; it demonstrates how to make Kingdom Ultra Magnus not look like complete rear end in vehicle mode.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Saw a classic, red VW Bug on the road today, and my brain shorted a little. Bumblejumper was yellow Cliffjumper, right? Was there a red Bumblebee?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Open Marriage Night posted:

Saw a classic, red VW Bug on the road today, and my brain shorted a little. Bumblejumper was yellow Cliffjumper, right? Was there a red Bumblebee?
Yes there was.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Does he have a cute name, or was he too obscure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Open Marriage Night posted:

Does he have a cute name, or was he too obscure?

That’s a good question, I’m not sure he was treated as a unique character.