Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Are there any cool non-Masterpiece Transformers to buy right now? I bought Armada Starscream and the Silver Knight Optimus/Generations Grimlock 2-pack last week and I want more Transformers now because these few are pretty great, but everything else I look at in stores kinda looks like rear end.

I wish the AoE Grimlocks were half-decent. G1 Grimlock is the only transformer from my childhood that I still have, as best as I can tell, and has traveled with me from my parents house to every place I've lived in my adult life and I got all excited for new loving dinobots and they all kinda look lovely in one way or the other. Animated Grimlock looks really cool but I totally missed the boat on that one and they run like $40+ now which sucks but uh

Yeah, cool Transformers right now? Gonna try to find a Skywarp, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

If this means movie lines will decrease I really don't have that much of an issue. I've yet to see Rattrap or Tankor.

However those Evolution 2 packs I might get because they're apparently Classics figures and have half classics/half movie packaging. But they're too pricey for what they are so I'll wait for them to hit clearance(40 bucks for energon grimlock is too much even with the movie mold)

The Grimlock/Optimus 2pack was on sale at a Target while on was on vacation for $20 + a $5 Target gift card. Optimus is meh but a nice bonus on top of a pretty decent Grimlock. Shame his shoulders are assholes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The chest opening to show the Spark/Matrix of Leadership is pretty cool. Have any other Primes done that?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Wanted a new Transformer this weekend, drove around for a long time going to different stores looking for (?) (I seriously don't know what I was expecting to find I have all the cool ones right now) and I ended up buying Evasion Optimus. It's pretty cool.

Is there a trick to getting the arms to fold up right when going from robot to truck? It seems like I'm always bending plastic bits out of the way to get them to fold in right when they should just slot in real nicely.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Whirls legs tab into his body as his arms. That may be your problem there.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Pittsburgh seems like it gets toys way late. Between Transformers and Lego I'm always behind the curve.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Thew's review finally sold me on Springer. All the photos I'd seen of him had the drat gun attached to the alt modes and it ruined the whole thing for me. Seeing him without the weapons completely changed my mind.

Also order DotM Megatron off Amazon. Woo.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

If the actual retail ones looked like that I'd actually buy them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Generations Springer and DoTM Megatron came in the mail today :toot:

Springer just doesn't seem to want to piece together into his car mode at all. All the tabs and slots are there and are just a hair off of actually fitting into place. Or if you get one in, suddenly the other all pop out. Really quite annoying.

DoTM Megatron is... uhhh... it feels like I got a chinese knockoff or something. All of his important joints are super loving loose so he's really hard to balance, but then the erroneous joints like his grill and his shoulder... uh, grills, are stiff as hell. And putting him into vehicle mode is weird as gently caress because there's so many chinsey little bits. Is this what all the movie toys are like? Evasion Prime is a solid loving rock in both modes and then one movie back and this dude just feels super cheap. On the bright side, he holds Evasion Prime's gun and looks badass doing it, so there's that.

Now I guess I wait for new bots to come out :shobon:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before but why does that cover say "Are all dead." It's otherwise pretty great, but shouldn't it be "All are dead." or even "Are all dead?"

MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE
THE TRANSFORMERS

ARE
ALL
DEAD

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Ka0 posted:

I got a lot of green

Is that a voyager Crosshairs :swoon: it's gorgeous!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

kill me...

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

So wait, does the Crosshairs deluxe not actually look that lovely??

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

It's the same mold that Kao posted! YMMV if you like him or not (I do)

mistransformed:

proper transformation:

Jesus christ, Hasbro. That's not how you loving sell toys.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Is there any way to get a masterpiece Grimlock for under $100?

I just got back into transformers last month and seeing that there was a reissue only months ago is killing me and my pile of Grimlocks feels like it needs him.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Bought a used Binaltech Grimlock on eBay, and it arrived like 75% into robot mode. Finally got it transformed into car mode and uh, well, uh, I guess I have a scale model of a Mustang now, because there's no loving way I'm transforming that monster again.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I honestly spent two goddamned hours figuring out that you needed to twist his waist and his pelvis around, and then probably another hour figuring out how to do the doors/front wheels

Which, for the record, I'm not sure how I got to work.

Thing is absolutely insane.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

DoTM Megatron is a bastard to transform, but I think that's just because my particular one is put together like poo poo. Some things are stiff as a board and then some joints (like his loving hips) are loosey goosey and just fall all over the place.

And that Generations Springer doesn't loving tab together right infuriates me because it's so drat close.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Speaking of, is there some shop somewhere on the internet I can buy 3d printed repros of G1 accessories?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Today I bought AOE Drift instead of saving my money for a hypothetical much cooler thing and now I am sad.

I bought leader Grimlock because my masterpiece Grimlock was supposed to arrive today and didn't and I wanted to play with a new dinosaur and I'm super disappointed.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I'm fine with the chrome, and a lot of other bits.

I'm bothered by
1. Those goofy hip/shoulder joints that you can't pose
2. No review mentioned this and I didn't notice it until I transformed him but yes kinda like... Flat? He should have a nice round body but instead it looks all smooshed in the y direction and then stretched in the z direction.

Still, I needed a movie Grimlock to go with the rest, I guess.

Are the platinum BBTS dinobots still happening or did that become the G1 SDCC dinobots? I've been holding off on buying the dinobots because I figured I'd get those but I can't seem to find anything other than the original posts on them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

TheDK posted:

:goonsay: Here are some words about Blitzwing:

- The shoulder/chest issue is inexcusable and ruins the figure. I guess you could find a way to look past this glaringly severe issue, but it kills it for me and if I'd known about it beforehand I would have avoided this guy.

- The feet are dumb as mentioned previously. Not a big deal because they actually function as feet, but still.

- The leg proportions are strange. Either the thigh area is too stumpy or the shin region is too long. Something is just off about the legs. I like the design and it reminds me of the sketch someone posted in the last thread. I think the knee just needs to be dropped a little and shorten the tread-shin part.

- The changeable face is stupid and poorly executed. Get an Animated Blitzwing if you want an Animated Blitzwing. The figure already has 3 modes, why bother with the face thing? Mine doesn't change easily and some paint scratched off when trying to change the faces, so now it's going to stay on the "correct" face for good.

- The nosecone is garbage. The soft rubber doesn't keep it's shape. The nosecone doesn't fit over the head. Some of the paint scratched off the head on first transformation.

- I like the alt-modes, conversely. I don't mind the gaps in jet mode and I think everything condenses into a nice little tank mode. I like the way the turret can swing around and do stuff. The missile launching action is solid.

What was really disappointing about Blitzwing was I picked him up with Springer, who is a marvelous triple-changer and everything works the way it should and he's just so great :allears:. I've been tempted by the add-on sets but I can't justify spending anymore money on this figure. Maybe someone will hook me up with the non-Dr. Wu pack for secret santa (wink wink).

See, I feel exactly the opposite. I love Blitzwing, dumb shoulder issues and all, and his modes are great (except for jerking off the barrel to fire the tank missile. That's dumb)

But Springers alt modes piss me off to no end because nothing quite lines up right. Be it the doors in car mode or the back flap thing in heli mode or whatever. And the dang gaps in between the fenders and the hood or the goofy setup his arms do in heli mode.

But Springer's bot mode is badass as hell and Blitzwing is kinda eh as a bot.

For what it's worth I have no nose cone issues, but the shoulders are unfortunate.

I'd probably have gotten Doubledealer instead, if I'd known he existed. And I can't justify two of them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My Armada Starscream is probably my favorite transformer, if only because of his quick transformation, so I'm stoked as hell to pick up a Jhiaxus.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

During my weekend away in central New York I found a Tankor. Woo?

Also Slash, a dinobot I did not know existed.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Tankor kinda sucks.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Does Masterpiece grimlock have loosey-goosey hip joints or is it just mine?

That's probably my biggest peeve with transformers is loose joints. How am I supposed to pose a dude if he's always falling over?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

catch22 posted:

I don't recall that being an issue with the first release, but a few people have mentioned it with the new one.

Yeah I've got the MP-03 TRU release that doesn't come with the apron/serving tray/sweet-fuckin-bowtie.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Am I alone in thinking that cybertronian vehicles are dumb?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

There were cybertronian modes in the 80s? Christ.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I always just assumed they were stylized for animation. I didn't realize the toys were that poo poo as well. Goddamn.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

You're so silly though, what about awesome Cybertronian alt modes like Cyclonus?

The ones that still look like real things are cool. like Cyclonus or (I guess) Springer

But stuff like CYBERTRONIAN TRUCK

Are not, and constantly seeing poo poo like that on shelves is what made me not want to buy transformers for a long time.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I should stop buying deluxe figures. The only ones I've been happy with recently have been Statscream, skywarp, and crosshairs.

Wasting a lot of money on these loving dinobots.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

You know what, another rework of the Springer/Sandstorm mold would be totally cool by me.

These bots are just the raddest, even if the vehicle modes don't quite fit together right

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

ARE YOU JUST IGNORING MY POSTS?

They fit together FINE if you follow a specific order of operations.

Mine still don't, even doing the wheel covers last. The windows just refuse to tab into the windshield.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

There can be small variances in each copy of a toy, you know. Some people's individual copies sometimes are looser/tighter or peg together/don't peg at all. I seem to have extremely good luck in this regard, overall. Either that or I don't seem to have common TF fandom problem of having axe hands.

The one shoulder on my Sandstorm is too weak to hold up the blaster so I can't have him dual wield his blaster and Springers :smith:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My classics Grimlock finally came in the mail today (like a loving month late) and my collection of every worthwhile Grimlock (plus classics and movie) was complete!

Or so I thought

What the hell is this baby G1 Grimlock and how do I purchase it?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Lepecard posted:

You should try and find an Alternators Grimlock!

Just make sure it has the instructions....

I believe I said I had every Grimlock worth having

not pictured: Leader Grimlock because he's off hanging out with the other movie Dinobots

If I can find a WST Grimlock for less than like, $30 I'll buy it.

I'm also still half-on the hunt for a G2 Grimlock just because.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Lepecard posted:

Nice collection but what's in that jar??

A dead cactus :(

Anora posted:

And when did Grimlock become a Star Sapphire?

Hey man, I'm allowed to have other cool toys on my cool-toys-fireplace-mantle :colbert:

Blackheart posted:

What, no RID Grimlock? :colbert:

:stare:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I should really temper my expectations after all the other movie Dinobots, but man, Snarl looks real fuckin' neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I didn't buy Cybertronian truck Grimlock, why would I buy a dumb steam shovel? :smuggo:

E: though I suppose I still need beast wars Grimlock.