Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
We've needed a new OP for years.

Shmax.com is another useful tool for collectors. It lets you catalog everything you have, and lets you document what parts you have, whether its opened or not, what country its from, etc. Granted, I suppose you could just document this all in an excel spreadsheet, but it lets you get an idea of how many goddamn robits you have and (roughly) how much your collection is worth... although said number isn't super accurate.

Wanderer posted:

The only Transformers toy I actually want right now is a "My First Blaster."

One of the many, many moments in MTMTE that made me laugh out loud.

Also,

Ultra Magnus is my favorite character.

So yeah guys, you should be reading this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Phy posted:

I really don't like Whirl. But specifically, I don't like the person he is. He's a great character.

That's probably my favorite Whirl moment.

Also, he's like this on the inside:

Keldroc posted:

AHM seems to be pretty roundly disliked around here, but I think at least the first half is an interesting take on Megatron's point of view after millions of years of a pretty one-sided war, as well as his real opinion of Starscream.

Basically, AHM pissed a lot of people off because it took a huge dump on established continuity and introduced IDW Spike, who is an enormous douche.

Joe Fisto posted:

Will the upcoming MP bumblebee be the classic vw? If so will it only be available in Japan like the lambo molds? If its Japan only it doesn't bother me, I've bought all the other drat imported MPs.

Hopefully he's a VW. If the new MP Bumblebee turns out to be a Camaro, tears of joy will quickly become tears of sadness.

You know, a Masterpiece Wheeljack and a VW Bumblebee were the two MP figures I wanted to happen the most and holy poo poo lo and behold, my prayers are answered. It would be totally wicked if Bumblebee came with a mini Spike, Chip and Carly.

Goldskull posted:

I have no Masterpieces, I was tempted to get Tiger Track (Sunstreaker) at £85, but gently caress him, if MP-20 is Wheeljack I'm all over that.

To be fair, MP Sideswipe \ Red Alert is really, really good, and is worth tracking down if you can find one. Same with Prime Ver. 2 and Soundwave.

...If you can find them. For not insane prices.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TheDK posted:

Am I dumb for waiting for a US release of Sideswipe and Soundwave? I want them very badly but I would like to not pay as much as they are going for right now.

Digging the new OP. It could use some of the customs and/or drawings from the last thread, perhaps.

Also loving the new masterpiece news! :dance:

Soundwave? Not really. Soundwave is getting released in the US, with all 5 tapes, for way cheaper. Of course, he'll be a Toys R' Us exclusive, and it will be a bitch to track him down in stores, and he will probably show up for a span of a month then disappear... but I'd say wait. You could pay upwards of $300 if you want a Japanese Soundwave with all his tapes, or wait and try to get the US version for $150. You just have to be up to the challenge of actually tracking him down.

As for Sideswipe, nobody really has any idea if he'll get a US release or not. I imported mine because I figured he wouldn't because Lamborghini is owned by VW and VW has had a history of refusing to allow TF toys based on their cars because they're war toys, but apparently things have changed so who knows.

Goldskull posted:

Well that's the thing. I have G1 Red Alert re-issue & G1 Breakdown to fulfill my Countach needs at the minute, I never had Sunstreaker as a kid. I mentioned in the old thread next purchases will be Gen Sandstorm and the FoC Wreckers, so that's ~£120+ right there if I can find them. Plus my lass would kill me straight spending between £60-80 on one toy at this point.

Well... Tigertrack isn't Sunstreaker, not really. Sunstreaker actually isn't a yellow Sideswipe, but a totally different robot.

Tigertrack is based on a Japanese web exclusive from about a decade ago... who is in turn based on a Japanese Pre-Transformers Diaclone figure. Transformers actually switched Sideswipe and Sunstreaker's colors around from the original Diaclone release.

Diaclone had many toys in different colors, such as a black Ironhide, the fabled blue Bluestreak, a red Mirage, a police car variant of Sunstreaker, an Ultra Magnus with his reds and blues reversed, and so on. Many of these were later re-issued as e-Hobby web exclusives in Japan around the early 2000s when they started to re-issue G1 Transformers again.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 21, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ultra Magnus is basically like Worf mixed with Sam the Eagle with an even bigger stick up his rear end and even less fun. If I were to sum him up in one word, it would be harumph. :colbert:

Ultra Magnus frowns so much that the servos to make him smile had rusted solid and when the team had to force him to smile to save his life (long story), everyone got a kick out of it, and of course this made him even more angry.

He's my favorite. :allears:

Also, while we're still on the first page, and summertime is just starting up, I figure I'd discuss conventions a little bit.

BotCon, June 27th-30, San Diego, CA :911:
http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2013/
BotCon is the official con, but the organization that runs it, Fun Publications, is so horrible and abusive that it makes Matty Collector seem fantastic. Fun Pub will get your credit card info stolen, make you pay for toys upfront then still not deliver them a year later, has a website that looks like it came from the 90's (and is about as secure as one) and doesn't take constructive criticism well and will pretty much tell you to gently caress off if you're not happy with anything. BotCon costs an arm and a leg, and has a set of lame toys that will set you back half a grand if you want them. If you live on the West Coast, it may be worth it to attend, but if you don't, I wouldn't recommend giving FunPub your hard earned money (and they demand lots of it.)

TFCon, July 26th-28th, Toronto, ON :canada:
http://www.tfcon.ca/
TFCon is one of the biggest unofficial cons and has a more social focus than BotCon, which is a little impersonal. At most cons, the celebrities are guarded by men in suits, you have to pay big bucks for an autograph, and you're not even allowed to look them in the eye half the time. At TFCon, Scott McNeil (voice of Dinobot, Waspinator and half the cast of Beast Wars) will gladly drink a beer with you at the bar, and Gary Chalk (Optimus Primal) will be chilling out playing his guitar. Last year, TFCon had a bigger dealer room than BotCon, doesn't ban 3rd party toys and non-Transformer merch, has poutine, a waterslide, and is run by good people who are actually fans and aren't going to dick you over. It's basically a giant three day drunken party that also has toy robots. It's a blast and if you live on the East Coast do yourself a favor and check it out.

Auto Assembly, August 9th-11th, Birmingham, England :britain:
http://www.autoassembly.org.uk/
I've never been, but from what I hear, it's essentially the same thing as TFCon, but for those of us who live in the UK. It also has a lot of drinking and toy robots, but has fish and chips and poor dental hygiene instead of poutine and hockey, I guess. If you're a British fan, definitely check it out!

Charticon, August 9th-11th, Charlotte, NC :banjo:
http://www.charticon.com/
A new, up and coming Con, conveniently located right in my home state. I know a few of the guys behind this and they're good people, and they're going to have a few, hand-painted(!!!) exclusive toys. They cost a fair amount of money, but they each took at least 16 hours to make, so a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into them. Beast Hunters Bulkhead looks really cool in Sharkticon colors. If you live near the southeast, give this one a shot.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 21, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Who is actually confirmed as going to TFCon besides you and Rei?

No clue. As much as I love TFCon, I'm really starting to wonder if I can do it next year, as plane tickets have kicked me in the rear end money wise, and from where I live, Toronto is a 12 hour drive if you're speedy, and I'm the kinda fella who starts falling asleep at the wheel in half that time. Luckily I have a guy or two who may tentatively share a hotel room with me, so should cut down on expenses a little bit. To make matters worse, a new convention decided to pop up in my home state, so gently caress all fiscal responsibility! Luckily I had the wisdom to register as a dealer instead of a guest so here's hoping I sell more than I buy.

TFCon is still way loving cheaper than BotCon, and a lot closer, too. (Oh hey, pay $500 to get into the Con and get this box set of ugly toys, and you can buy additional 3-packs for the low, low price of $150 each! And for an additional $100, Pete Sinclair will personally enter your hotel room and take a poo poo on your bed! ...You guys don't think I'm bitter, do you?)

But just so y'all know, James Roberts is going to be a guest at both TFCon AND Auto Assembly, so if you want to meet him, you can do it from either side of the Atlantic.

Spiderdrake posted:

I would actually compare Roberts work to Hickman, who is probably regarded as Marvel's strongest writer at the moment. Only surprisingly warmer and less in love with robots, if that makes any sort of sense.

While being willing to murder them.

You know, I've said it before, but I really hope somebody in the industry notices Roberts' Transformers comics, and it's not just us Transformers nerds. You know, they have a stigma of being "ewww, Transformers, that's a terrible Michael Bay movie and a cartoon that's just a 30 minute toy advertisement", and while Transformers' bad stigma is really kind of deserved most of the time, the sad part is because of that, a LOT of people will write off one of the very best ongoing comic series right now. I love it that I finally have some legitimately fantastic Transformers comics, but it makes me sad that people don't want to read it because it's a Transformers comic. :(

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 21, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Veg posted:

Rodimus is cool too.

I would have posted the panel if I could have found it, but my favorite Rodimus moment is when he says something like "Okay guys, I'm giving you this speech because according to Ultra Magnus, I have to give you more of a briefing than just running around the ship yelling 'Hey, who's up for a fight?'"

I've said it before, but I really kind of see TF: Prime as the Star Trey: Voyager of the series. Granted, it doesn't go nearly as low as Voyager does sometimes, but it has the same problem - bland characters with no personalities and a plot that goes nowhere for years. Tons of wasted potential.

As far as our protagonists are concerned, the only ones that are even remotely interesting are Wheeljack, Smokescreen and Ratchet (because Jeffery Combs.) Wheeljack barely shows up, Smokescreen doesn't show up until late in season 2, and Ratchet spends an entire season doing nothing. Everybody else is basically "stoic guy who fights bad guys." I mean, really, who would honestly care if Prime, Bumblebee or Bulkhead got killed off?

Most of the Japanese TF Anime has this exact same problem. Many of the Autobots in those don't have personalities that extend beyond "heroic guy who fights for justice and gets mad when bad guys do bad things." Hell, all the four main Autobot Headmasters in Headmasters are pretty much exactly the same, except a couple of them are bigger assholes than the others.

The thing about G1, is that the characters had extremely exaggerated, over the top personalities. G1 has about zero subtlety whatsoever. MTMTE kind of rolls with this and is basically about characters with extreme personality quirks and neuroses that just so happen to be robots that turn into cars.

As Yonic said, Beast Wars was so successful because it had a very diverse group of characters with their own ideas for what they wanted, and had conflict with not only their enemies but also their teammates. ("Disgusting vermin!") When's the last time Bumblebee and Bulkhead got in an argument, or anybody disagreed with Prime? A friend of mine made an interesting observation - "One thing that's really weird about Prime, is that just like the various anime, the Autobots don't really interact with each other. They just interact with the kids."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

As far as the new thread goes, I only wonder if the OP will actually stick around and join in with discussion/update it where necessary. People who barge in outta nowhere, demand to make an OP then vanish never to be seen again are almost the absolute worst, right after people who wear polo necks, or those weirdos who prefer dogs to cats. :colbert:

I think it's fantastic that we have a new thread, because already we have some new faces that I haven't seen in the TF thread before. And poo poo is actually relevant! Star Trek gets a new thread like, every month, it takes us 7 years.

But dogs are a million times better than cats. Cats are assholes and would eat you if they were any bigger. :colbert: If you don't think that Golden Retriever puppies are the best thing in the world then :getout:

SRM posted:

I'd be bummed out if Bulkhead were killed off; "Single dad Bulkhead" makes for some good episodes and character moments, even if they're few and far between. Bumblebee as a mute character doesn't really do much to make him memorable or relatable in any way, and it bothers me that if an Autobot got killed, it would probably end up being Wheeljack.

One of the worst things the movie gave us was a psychotic Prime who only knows how to have big, dramatic speeches when he's not ripping off faces, and mute Bumblebee. The movies really hosed up Prime and Bumblebee outside of the comics, and the sooner they drop these characterizations... if you can even call them that, the better. Modern Bumblebee is practically a non-character. That plus the enormous amount of toys he has makes people loathe him.

Honestly though... I still like G1 \ Comic Bumblebee and I'm pumped for his MP release. I loved Bumblebee as a kid, and the new Bumblebee has absolutely nothing in common with the original except for his color and his name. And sometimes not even his color because a lot of movie Bumblebees are orange instead of yellow.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 21, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

So yeah, I'm a nutcase who decided to give an $100 3rd party Megatron a new paintjob.

Went from this (on the left):

To this:

I don't suggest everybody do stuff like that, but if you are going to collect Transformers, there's a few things I recommend having:

*A set of precision screwdrivers in case you need to tighten screws or disassemble anything
*A hobby knife. Transformers very, very rarely have any mold flash that gets in the way, but it does happen. See also - some sandpaper.
*Some floor polish or fingernail polish - great for tightening loose ball joints. You should have this.
*If you don't feel too confident about painting, try some Gundam Markers for some slight detail work.
*Ikea Detolf cabinets are a fan favorite for displaying them.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TheDK posted:

I just registered for this. Too bad I missed out on getting a ticket to the Friday night party. :argh:

This will be my first TF convention. I'm not really sure what to expect!

Expect to come to my table and buy my stuff at low, low prices! :rodimus:

I expect it to be sort of like a mini-TFCon, but since this one is new, I honestly have no idea how big or small it's gonna be. Pretty much I basically go to these cons for the dealer room and chilling out with people there during \ after. If it's anything like TFCon, there will probably be a bunch of people hanging out at the bar at the hotel so don't be shy. I'll probably grab dinner with some people I know, as I haven't seen Scotty P or Superquad in forever.

Definitely go meet Paul Eiding, as he is a super duper cool dude, to the point where the Colonel himself wished me a happy birthday on facebook. :3:

That reminds me, I really gotta get off my rear end this weekend and start pricing stuff, and going through things I don't need anymore.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

You know what's really Voyager? Furman's IDW run. And Spotlight: Arcee was Threshold. Embarrassing misunderstanding of genetics, attempts at being edgy, and ends up being so stupid that everyone wants to forget it. Yes, I personally think that the plot of Spotlight Arcee is really as dumb as evolving into salamanders.

And you know what else? Prime can deflect some of it's ire due to both being cgi (and having amazing cgi at that) and being a kids show. I mean, I don't see why a grown audience should be so mad at a kids show, it doesn't affect it's quality but it does mean that it's weird if you're way, way invested in it and act like it said horrible things about your mother.

Furman was writing for adults.

I'm glad that he has nothing to do with the continuity anymore. Arcee's alright now, I really liked what Barber did with her last issue, and they've changed the angle to "victim of cruel experiment" instead of focusing on how she apparently has robot girl parts and is really mad about it. But I think IDW should never have allowed that comic to be published.

I'll defend Furman's run to a degree because he came up with some cool ideas, like Holomatter avatars, Decepticons causing instability and getting the humans to fight each other, and then they clean up after, Transformers having a possible transhuman origin, etc.

However, Spotlight: Arcee was a travesty, and extremely offensive. Furman manages to make a book that's horribly insensitive to both women AND transgender audiences. IDW should have absolutely told him "gently caress no" when making that book, and it also kind of closes the door to all other female characters, such as Elita-1 and Blackarachnia. I love the IDW universe, but if there's one thing I hate about it, it's Arcee. I think she's the single biggest mistake in the whole run of the entire series, worse than anything in Mike Costa's run (which was really dumb).

Okay, Simon Furman's take on Headmasters and Sunstreaker was also loving terrible.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Yes, last episode will be revealed to be Rodimus Prime watching a holographic simulation on the Lost Light.

*Fatter, Older Rodimus Prime

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Geared Hub posted:

Is TFW community sometimes mental?

TFW is extremely mental, but then again, so is somebody who spends $300 on a cellphone game.

(This is coming from a dude who spends more than that on stupid toy robots so its totally the pot calling the kettle black)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I never liked any version of Blackarachnia.

Animated gets a lot better by the second season.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

You know, I saw the new thread and took a look just out of idle curiosity. And then didn't do much of anything.

Then on the weekend I watched Transformers: The Movie after not having seen any Transformers (aside from the first of the recent movie trilogy) since I was about 5.

Then I bought and read Autocracy.

Then I bought and read Last Stand of the Wreckers.

Today I caught myself checking out the Masterpiece figures on display at one of my local game/DVD/toy shop.

I just bought the first MTMTE trade.

What... what have you guys done to me? :psyduck:

I deeply express my regrets to you and your wallet.

Robots are fun.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You know, I was just thinking about how Australian fans don't have a con (well, not one that I'm aware of), and probably have worse distribution than Canada and the UK (and the UK fans have it pretty rough). Seems like it sucks to be a Transformers fan down under.

Sometimes I wonder if there's fandom outside of English speaking and Asian countries. I really don't know. The overwhelming majority of people I speak to online are from the US, Canada, the UK and Australia. (And even as far as English speaking countries are concerned, I don't think I know anybody from New Zealand or South Africa.) I know one guy from Brazil. I wonder if TFs caught on in Europe outside of the UK. From what I understand, their releases were very limited, and often didn't get released until years later.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Iced Cocoa posted:

I just bookmarked this thread because I kind of got interested in Transformers after having a glimpse of the Prime series and loving the animation on it. I don't know that much about what toys are hot or not, but apparently someone made a decent writeup on the selection in my country. I would want to know if this is "great" or "meh" or somewhere in between. And my mom told me that there might be some transformers toys up in the attic of the house, running the dates I have a reason to believe those are G1 toys though I'm not that interested in any treasure hunt to go check.

I've actually read that article, and that's what kind of led me to believe that Transformers is basically an English-speaking thing, except for Asia, French Canada, and uh... I dunno. As an English speaker, my exposure is limited to those who speak my language.

The selection and prices in Iceland are absurd. Australians often have to pay double what Americans do, whereas folks from Iceland have to pay the equivalent of $110 for a $30 toy.

A lot of European countries didn't get Transformers until a few years later, and had their assortments all hosed up and different per country. Many didn't get the cartoon. Russia didn't get any Transformers shows until after the Cold War, and when it did, the first one it got was bizarrely Masterforce!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Well, now DOMA's been canned, I can go marry my boo, and buy TFs as was intended. From an American Target.

Awesome, congrats! :toot:

I'm always so confused as to where you're from. Half the time I think you live in Britain, the other half the time I think you're from Oregon.

Iced Cocoa posted:

And to let you know, Iceland is not a English-speaking country.

I'm aware. I can be a little short bus on occasion, but I'm not that dumb, dude.

I just know a few people from non-English countries (namely a dude from Brazil) but not a lot. I'm not saying they don't exist elsewhere, it's just that they don't seem to be big elsewhere.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Seasons 2 and 3 are a big improvement.

If Blackarachnia and Professor Princess bother you, then hoo boy, never read Spotlight Arcee. Although part of me kind of wants to hear your take on it. Robots don't have gender, robot is turned into a girl robot by mad science to see what happens if they are given a gender, said girl robot goes nuts and becomes a psycho and wants revenge for being turned into a girl robot. I find IDW Arcee kinda offensive and I'm not even a woman or transgender!

Honestly, Simon Furman does have quite a misogynist streak.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Iced Cocoa posted:

Well, I had the chance to check the attic at home to see if there were any transformers toys as my mom said. However I didn't say anything, but then my mom said they had been tiny, while I had been looking for the regular sized toys I the same size that's being sold now.

Would there have been any "smaller than a smartphone" transformers been sold circa 1989-1992 or so?

That's sort of a loaded question because what with Micromasters and G2 there were a fuckton.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ka0 posted:

How has that mold not desintegrated yet, is it made of platinum.

Fun "We can't re-use molds we've already done for a BotCon before!" Pub

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rei_ posted:

Peaugh and Vangelus have reviews up for the first two members of the Retro-Future Glacialord and they look AMAZING. According to sources on Twitter, they'll be available at TFCon for 30 dollars a limb, 50 for the Torso. MAYBE only the first two will be available, the torso guy is still up in the air right now.

They're like G1-aesthetic combiners, big and chunky and blocky, but with articulation hidden inside and around the limbs. They're also all headmasters and have scramble-city compatibility with G1 combiners.

Welp, I know what I'm gonna buy at TFCon now!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

What, no, now I have to go for delicious boxesssssssss nooooo

Where did you book your stay? (This applies to Gammatron and anyone else going)

The Delta Meadowvale in Mississauga which is where the con is going to be held. If you can get a room there, I would highly recommend it so you don't have to drive to the con, and so its easy just to take your bags up to your room and whatnot (as well as easy access to the bar).

http://www.tfcon.ca/2013-hotel-information

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I wonder if I should get Glaciallord. At $30 a pop, with a $50 leader, they end up at about $170. I also don't have a Computron or Abominus. For that much, I could probably get one of those, too.

Okay, well, maybe I should get a Computron and Glacial Lord, because let's be honest here, except for Hun-Grrr all the Terrorcons look like happy meal toys.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I'm really glad I cancelled my preorders for Swerve and Beachcomber. Especially now that Hasbro is making a Swerve.

Honestly, I just don't dig the Mini Warrior aesthetic. There's being a G1 reference, but their alt modes are identical to the G1 toys, even in that they're squished super deformed things. At a tiny scale that looks okay, but at the size they are, it doesn't look so hot. I think they look bad and don't fit with your classics figures that well. Definitely not worth the money they're charging for them.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 2, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I was reading Terry's post, and that got me thinking: we've reached a point where Transformers is so full of fan service, it has no effect anymore.

When I was 12 or 13 and I saw Ravage transform into a tape and make the G1 sound in Beast Wars, I just about flipped my poo poo. Even moreso when they discovered the Ark with all the G1 dudes on it. Nowadays? That's not really anything. Optimus Prime saying "One shall stand, one shall fall" in Prime elicits groans today, but 10 years ago people would be like "awesome!"

It's been a long time since I've seen Animated. I didn't notice the whole BOOTSTRAPS thing in the Constructicon episodes, probably because I was too busy going "HOLY poo poo THEY BROUGHT BACK THE CONSTRUCTICONS." I also enjoyed the Wreck-Gar one because "Holy crap, it's Wreck-Gar voices by Weird Al!"

In 2007, people were going nuts over Classics figures and Alternators... now we've pretty much run out of notable G1 characters to remake.

You know, I often say that overexposure will ruin anything, and I think that's become the case with retro callbacks these days. Before, it was a rare surprised to get one, now it's par for the course.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

The High Moon games, I think, were the breaking point for me. Way too many homages and callbacks and bizarre quotes that were just a chore to listen to. I really like subtle homages, like Prime Megatron's legs. Stuff like arguing over [element] [deli meat] in the middle of the Grimlock chapter just made me wish I was playing something else. The Beast Wars stuff showed up what, a season or two in, and it fit right into the narrative?

Animated at least brought us some new stuff. WFC/FOC gave us dark energon and the only thing anyone remembers is Metroplex Heeds The Call of the Last Prime. Why didn't they focus on more stuff like that, less reusing the door falling on a Quintesson joke in a scene it doesn't work in at all?

You know, I was thinking of Fall of Cybertron in particular when I was writing all that out. The scenes in FOC and Prime where they take quotes straight from the '86 movie are pretty shameful.

Yes, MTMTE is based on G1, but let's be honest, before MTMTE, guys like Swerve, Skids and Whirl barely even qualified as characters, so James Roberts' take on them may as well be considered totally brand new characters. Before MTMTE, Swerve showed up in one episode of G1, and got stepped on by Trypticon. Skids got turned into a throne for Blitzwing and sat on a table in Ratchet's sickbay once. That's it.

RID and MTMTE are some of the most inventive TF fiction we've gotten in years. You know I've said this a million times, but since the 2007 movie, I feel like they've kept rehashing the same poo poo over and over and over to the point where it gets tiresome. Really, only in the comics are they brave enough to explore new ground.

I unashamedly love the poo poo out of G1, but I would love to see Transformers go in a wild, crazy, new direction. I love Decepticons. I loving love them, man. I think the Decepticons are awesome. But a part of me wants to see a show with some entirely new antagonists that are completely unknown and alien.

Of course, we're never going to get another radical reinvention like Beast Wars until Transformers stops making profits hand over fist, but after DOTM, Transformers has been getting steadily less popular.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I don't think Transformers is going to die, but it is in a slight decline, at least from a purely financial standpoint. Profits peaked with the 2007 movie and ROTF, and have been going down since then. Now, of course, that's no indicator of quality, as even fans of the Michael Bay movies will generally admit that ROTF was poo poo. Prime isn't doing as well as Animated, probably for a few reasons - mainly that it's on the Hub, which most households don't get (and is in general a big disaster of a network), and Animated came out when the movies were at their most popular. This is being as objective as possible and not taking in account my feelings on Prime as a show and toyline (which you all know isn't terribly positive.)

The toys are in decline too, in case you didn't notice those blown up legends they're calling deluxes. Of course, that's due to the economy and rising oil prices more than anything else, because all of Hasbro's toylines have been taking a huge hit. Star Wars figures are returning to 1970's levels of articulation. Have you seen those awful 10" Spider-Man toys in the store that just have swivels at the arms and nothing else?

Hasbro seems to be trying to hold on to modern toys though, with Transformers Generations and Star Wars: Black. Cheaper, simpler toys of past seems to be the trend regarding what they market to kids the most, though. Of course, if they're going back to 80's tech, I would prefer G1 \ Brave \ Power Rangers styled big bricks over sized up Legends, but c'est la vie.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Superhero toys are in a pretty crummy state. Granted, many of them are geared towards little kids, but its kind of odd that they tend to be say, just variations of Iron Man \ Captain America \ Spider-man with different action features and little else.

Now, these aren't Hasbro lines, but Mattel's Superman and Batman lines are like, crazily lovely. An overwhelming majority of the Batman figures were just Batman with 90s articulation in different colors with different accessories. As far as other characters go, I think there was a Joker for Dark Knight and a Bane for DKR, and that was it. As a kid, I always thought "What good is a superhero toy if he doesn't have any bad guys to fight?" Now that I'm a collector and I display figures rather than really play with them I don't care about that, but if you're a child who actually plays with toys, you gotta have more than just one character or else you can't make a story.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I didn't know the guy who did that amazing spongebob flash was a SA goon, dang, good work new thread
Peaked at ROTF. Here's the chart, in case you forgot
though this is the first time I have used this chart for good and not evil

According to Hasbro Prime year 2 (2013) is so far level with 2012 and not really in decline. I don't know if anyone mentioned it but the Predacons Rising subline coincidences with the DTV movie of the same name that wraps up Prime. So that's a thing I suppose.

Have you watched any of season 3 yet Gamma?

That was actually the chart I was thinking of, just didn't have it on hand. Doing a little better than 2010 when there was no supporting movie \ cartoon. Prime being on a channel that most households don't get certainly doesn't help.

I watched the first episode of Season 3, was like "meh" and promptly forgot to watch any more. Maybe I watched two. At the end Shockwave came back and they were like OOOOOHH SHOCKWAVE and that was it. I've actually been marathoning DS9 because I'm in Star Trek mode at the moment. If I want to watch Prime, I have to either find it on youtube before they take it down or some random shady streaming website. Honestly, at this point, I just really don't care all that much.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keldroc posted:

They're calling the Con one "Roswell," though. I can't decide if that name is clever or dumb. If you don't know the reference it makes him sound kind of like a butler.

How can someone possibly be a nerd who collects toy alien robots and not know about the supposed flying saucer crash in Roswell, New Mexico? It's one of the biggest American myths and is everywhere in pop culture. If you just flip to the History Channel for a second, you'll probably find some nutso talking about it, if they're not talking about Hitler, the Bible Code or Ice Road Truckers.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

For once I agree with Keldroc on something. What the gently caress have you done, Rocket?!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You know, in many things, Cullen might have the leeway to be considered a creative collaborator... but Michael Bay treats his voice actors like they're special effects to add into post production. He doesn't even talk to them. Michael Bay, the director, does not direct them at all, whatsoever. I mean, that kind of shows how important they are to him.

Some bigger name actors might walk out, but Peter Cullen is not a big name actor and has to get a paycheck somehow and not sabotage his career. He's not like a Brad Pitt who could do something like that and still get work in Hollywood.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Also, guys, Peter Cullen is just a human being. He's not actually Optimus Prime. He just plays him. It seems like people are taking Peter Cullen reading the lines as they are in the script as a personal betrayal. Peter Cullen has zero creative input, and Michael Bay views his voice actors as an afterthought to be added in post, and not something that even requires his attention. Peter Cullen isn't a bad guy for doing his job. He's a pretty nice and friendly guy, to be honest.

Honestly, I think Peter Cullen would still do a great Optimus Prime if he could get good writers and directors these days. Optimus Prime has kind of been turned into a mythical figure, and that's really kind of hurt his character. The Michael Bay movies may have made Transformers a household name, but they really screwed up the characters of Optimus Prime and Bumblebee badly.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

For all you fuckers who are excited about Acid Storm, you better buy 10 of him and army build him, because that green bastard is going to clog shelves forever.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I remember one of the funniest threads I've ever seen on TFW was a video review of G1 Bludgeon where the dude unceremoniously rips it off the card in the first thirty seconds. I mean like you probably put more trepedation, thought, and care into blowing your nose. The rest of the thread was just pages of "OMFG how dare you it belongs in a MUSEUM" outrage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiSjn7Y6l7E

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Unknownone posted:

So looks like a Transformers Arcade Light Gun game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys21kGsxK_U

Are arcades still that big of a thing?

Sadly... no. :negative:

They still exist in Asia, though.

Luckily I have a local arcade that has 3rd Strike, ST, Marvel 2, KOF98 and Vampire Savior so I'm like the luckily guy ever, and it's probably the main reason why I haven't moved outta my otherwise crappy rear end state.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Dammit people, I'm starting to think the Construct-a-Bots are kind of cool :ohdear:

They kind of are, I just think people are going to dismiss them because they expect them to be Transformers. I almost kind of wish they were entirely their own thing and didn't have the baggage of the Transformers brand.

Of course, with the Transformers brand, they WILL probably sell better to kids, I think it's just fans that won't accept them, and honestly that's probably a pretty drat good trade.

Construct-a-bots are about a million times cooler than Hasbro's poor man's Lego. Yes, even the minifigs. I'm like the one guy who doesn't give a poo poo about KREO minifigs.

Keldroc posted:

some believe that the high quality home versions of Street Fighter II were the real death knell, in fact.
:ssh:
It wasn't until like, the PS3 and Xbox 360 when Capcom finally made an accurate port of ST by just emulating the arcade rom on one of their collections.
:goonsay:

But no seriously I know what you mean.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 16, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TheDK posted:

Well I was just excited for Charticon but after this promo video I am loving giddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHXINEyQFpA

I just wish they would spell it Charkticon so people wouldn't think I'm going to a convention about gas then mass.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Welp, looks like I'm going to have to either get extremely lucky and find him at TRU or pay stupid prices for him.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well, trying to get Soundwave off TRU went about as poorly as I had feared.

TRU is sort of like K-Mart in that it always looks like a wasteland full of old unsold product that's more expensive than anywhere else and I wonder how they stay in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It says its in stock, but it wont add any to my cart because it says there's a limited quantity.