Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

...If you can find them. For not insane prices.
Am I dumb for waiting for a US release of Sideswipe and Soundwave? I want them very badly but I would like to not pay as much as they are going for right now.

Digging the new OP. It could use some of the customs and/or drawings from the last thread, perhaps.

Also loving the new masterpiece news! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Charticon, August 9th-11th, Charlotte, NC :banjo:
http://www.charticon.com/
A new, up and coming Con, conveniently located right in my home state. I know a few of the guys behind this and they're good people, and they're going to have a few, hand-painted(!!!) exclusive toys. They cost a fair amount of money, but they each took at least 16 hours to make, so a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into them. Beast Hunters Bulkhead looks really cool in Sharkticon colors. If you live near the southeast, give this one a shot.
I just registered for this. Too bad I missed out on getting a ticket to the Friday night party. :argh:

This will be my first TF convention. I'm not really sure what to expect!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Those Go! Predacons look really good. I am especially interested in Bakudora, the Ripclaw redeco:

That is a crazy new head and I really like the colors. Might look good next to Scourge.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
TF:Prime Human Alliance w/ Agent Fowler. Name your price, Hasbro. :swoon:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Wait, this is a thing?
Sadly, no, just an idea I had when I was watching the latest episode of Prime. But I would buy it without hesitation, even if it was another fuckin' Bumblebee. I'd probably buy a June Darby HA too.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
^^ That 3rd party Huffer looks really good, hope the price isn't too outrageous.

Also, I've recently become the owner of a HFTD Payload and I need some opinions before I open it because this guy looks like a certified piece of yellow poo poo in the box. The alt mode appears to be the only saving grace as it does look exactly like a Tonka truck. So, any Payload owners out there care to comment on him?

For reference, I am talking about this guy:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Well I was just excited for Charticon but after this promo video I am loving giddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHXINEyQFpA

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I just wish they would spell it Charkticon so people wouldn't think I'm going to a convention about gas then mass.
But then they wouldn't sell as many of these t-shirts:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Is that genuine? Because's loving disgusting.
Ha! No that's an original I just mocked up real quick.

e: though I'm considering having it printed so I can wear it around the con.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The head is dead on "No, your expression is more like this". And I think with some finagling you can make his legs more backwards bendy.

I'm sure someone will steal Sandstorm's rotors and make Whirl even more comic accurate.
:goonsay: inc

The official Whirl photos (or at least the ones on TFW) are kind of strange. It seems that in at least 2 of the images they photoshopped an entire arm from another photo.

In other news I now find myself wanting Weaponizer Ultra Magnus.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

So is there any word on what this Covenant of Primus thing entails? Because HOT drat I'd get it for the box alone:

From Amazon:

quote:

Book Description
Release date: December 10, 2013

The Covenant of Primus delves into the depths of Transformers mythology to reveal the backstory that’s previously only been hinted at.
Encased in an interlocking Autobot emblem that when pulled open emits Transformer sounds, this tome is a gift to humans from Alpha Trion, one of the ancient Thirteen Primes—the first of the Transformers. Little is known about Alpha Trion, and the rest of the Thirteen Primes have been shrouded in mystery—until now. The Covenant of Primus reveals the stories of these ancient heroes for the first time. It chronicles the saga of Optimus Prime and Megatron and covers the full history of the Transformers. Never-before-seen illustrations depict battles, portraits of the Thirteen Primes, and detailed scenes of the Transformers’ world. Offering insight into their origins, the Golden Age of exploration, the great civil war between the Autobots and Decepticons, and much more, this book is the definitive in-world history of the Transformers.

Product Features:

- Autobot shield case with three-part interlocking manual opening system and three classic Transformers audio effects
- Hardcover book with newly commissioned cover art, 20 newly commissioned illustrations, and many never-before-seen images from the Hasbro archive

e: suggest you watch the video with the product images.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Joe Fisto posted:

I now have 3 Prime Ultra Magnuses. Why are there 3 Magnuses from this line? Who knows, but I bought them.

Which one do you like the best? Feel free to make a video about which one is your favorite and why so that I can watch it on youtube.

I have the PRiD version (the upscaled cyberverse) and love/hate it so I want to get another, much better Ultra Magnus.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Keldroc posted:

So TFCon's Third Party Panel dropped some massive bombshells today.

Much much more at the link.
:negative:

Unnngh dat Computron. Maybe I can just buy Computron and I'll stop there... yeah that'll work.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

therealjon_ posted:

Soundwave appears to be popping in and out of availability on TRU.com. Some people are getting orders in.
I'm considering asking my QA automation guy to write a quick test to refresh TRU every minute or so and notify me when the "Ship to Home" icon changes.

e:
\/ I'm using this link:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19038126

TheDK fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 1, 2013

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

My post con depression is starting to kick in, but no worries, I'm doing one con right after another, as Charticon is next weekend.

I just wish they would change the name.

If anyone from outside NC is going to Charticon, make sure you go to Cook-Out and drink Cheerwine at least once. This is important.
If it ends up sucking (not sure how this is possible, but IF) we can just say "I'm never going back to lovely-con again!" and laugh/cry our way out of Charlotte.

:colbert:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I was just able to order MP Soundwave on TRU.com, GOGOGO!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Eirgen posted:

I think.. I need to stop buying so many transformers.. and I just started this year. (Unfortunately, just a portion of what I have.. and need to place that elsewhere since it is blocking my projector)

edit: that's both takara and hasbro soundwave there.
I can't stop imagining a crazy episode where a time-lost Soundwave ends up traveling to another universe and pairing up with himself and the local Decepticons in their own fight against the Autobots, who have recently converted Reflector and now possess a Megatron clone.

I bet a panorama would be neat.

e:
Oh maybe Reflector was an Autobot sleeper agent the entire time! :aaaaa:

TheDK fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 7, 2013

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

LightsGameraAction posted:

I still haven't snagged a blitzwing but he kinda sounds like a shitpiece with all these problems. Think I'll pass and see if Doubledealer fixes any of these issues.
Blitzwing is a piece of poo poo for all the reasons listed on this page. If you just want to display him without ever transforming or playing with him then go for it. Otherwise he is a terrible transformer toy considering what they've been able to put out this year. Springer is a thousand times better. Sandstorm a thousand and two.

E:
It would especially suck to get the fancy Japanese blitzwing and have that nice gold paint rub off on the first transformation.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 11, 2013

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

DisposableHero posted:

I must be one of the few that doesn't care about the head thing. I never liked the whole face changing gimmick on the animated one and I pretty much just picked the one I liked best and left it there. The shoulders are annoying but easy to fix.
The face changing thing has its own problems. I was referring to the fact that the rubber nosecone rubs on the top of the outside of his head so much that the paint may come off.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, nice meeting the DK at Charticon, I wish I could have hung out some more after the dealer room closed, but by 10pm Saturday I was loving dead and passed the gently caress out in my room.
Likewise! I probably would have just offended you with my drunken ramblings anyhow so maybe it's for the best. Charticon was cool (also my first con) and afterwards abrosheen and I immediately decided we are definitely going to TFcon next year.

I got a bunch of cool stuff:

(not pictured: Tomahawk and Sunstreaker)

Apex/Geminus are a lot of fun. I love the AM Megatron, the paint is awesome and the micron sword thing is beastly. I don't really like stickers so I'm hesitant to put those on for fear of loving it up beyond repair. Also I am in search of a good arm-cannon for Megatron so if anyone has any suggestions, please suggest them!

Hanging out with voice actors is... interesting. I'm not really sure what I expected.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Thank you for taking him off me, I didn't want him. You don't even need to thank me, he's a Rattrap with no arm and with most his chrome gone, anything more than free is more than what he's worth.

That Ratbat is really extremely cool, he's got awesome paint apps and just looks gorgeous. Takara figures are so much better most of the time. While his bat mode is a fan mode, think of it this way - it's way more convincing that Straxus \ Darkmount's turret mode, and that one is supposed to be official! As far as I'm concerned, the dude is a triple changer. Him and Landcross are pretty much tied for the coolest things I got at the con, and I got some cool poo poo so that says a lot.
I will order that ratbat right now if someone can prove to me it has a halfway decent gerwalk mode.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
The Demolition Crue bots are awesome and super pose-able and relatively cheap considering what some other 3rd party figures go for; I've played with them more than MP Soundwave!

e:
broken payload wheel :argh:

TheDK fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 18, 2013

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

GD_American posted:

I've got an extra Metroplex onhand that I pre-ordered and forgot to cancel. Are you wanting the thrill of the hunt, or are you ok with just buying one and having it mailed somewhere
Hide it somewhere for him and mail a treasure map!

I just put the stickers on my AM-33 Megatron and microns. While it was a very tedious process I'd rather not repeat, it does look much better with stickers applied.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
You know if I was into doing custom bots and all that, I would get an extra DC-02 Geminus and turn him into a MTMTE style Tailgate. All you'd need is a new head and some torso modifications. Maybe an arm mod to really sell it. Is this something that has already been done? I can't be the first to have this idea. (Maybe the first unmotivated non-customizer)

Also I checked out Target today (I've been cheating the system and buying toys online :ssh:) and the selection was really depressing. Also I had no idea how massive the new Optimus and Predaking were going to be.

e:
ok I kind of forgot about the wheels on Tailgate... I am dumb. Geminus could be a relatively easy 'cybertron' alt-mode Tailgate, I guess.

Proof of concept:

TheDK fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 31, 2013

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Keldroc posted:

Buckle your seatbelts, folks, non-stop white-knuckle thrill ride incoming.

Finally, The Happening will no longer be Mark Wahlberg's worst film.

thats the biggest vacuum cleaner I've ever seen

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
So I was near a TRU at lunch and snagged a Platinum/Weaponizer Ultra Magnus! He is pretty beastly. I like the bright colors and his massive size, he's as big as my Masterpiece bots!

The hammer is kind of weak... I don't like how it has separate handles rather than him just being able to hold it like I would expect a sledgehammer to be held. Though if you angle the hammer the right way you can disguise it somewhat.

Also, does anyone know where I can store his blaster in bot mode? I only fiddled with it for a few minutes but couldn't find a place on his back or leg or somewhere discrete to stick the blaster. It can sort of fit on his shoulder/pauldron things but looks goofy.

Terrible cell phone pic for size comparison:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

funtax posted:

I saw this at my TRU and passed. The box was falling apart and Magnus looked kind of flimsy and under-detailed overall - like yet another blown-up version of a smaller toy. How does he feel out of the box?
He feels really solid. The arm and leg ratchets seem pretty tough. The hammer kind of feels like crappy light plastic but the paint on it is pretty sharp and if you angle it such that the handles are somewhat hidden (as I mentioned previously) it is a neat accessory.

The white sections are more noticeable after staring at him for a while. I think I would prefer if they were a light silver rather than the intense white, especially on his face. The white feet look like sketchers to me now.

The head is nice and big. Somehow the beast hunters voyager Ultra Magnus head is smaller than the RID Ultra Magnus... (at least it seemed that way in the box - I don't own it). Light piping would be a nice addition. The head could be improved but still represents the character well.

Lastly, this guy is almost too big. He doesn't really look right next to my other Prime toys except for FE Bulkhead and no one else. As you see in my terrible pic, he's as big as a freaking MP. I guess part of his size is due to the weaponizer gimmick, which is actually disguised fairly well. However, I'm not about to go out and buy the other weaponizers just so he can have some freakishly large friends to hang out with, so he's just going to be the elephant on the shelf for the time being. I have no plans to pick up Predaking or Strong Guy Optimus but he would fit nicely next to them, I suppose.

As mentioned by The_Doctor, the gun is crap and unpainted and lazy. This is also overshadowed by the huge hammer he lugs around.

I do like him and I would recommend it if:
  • you don't have an Ultra Magnus and you like Prime
  • you have the RID Ultra Magnus (what a letdown)
  • you like big robots, especially one with a big hammer
  • you don't mind the gimmick (or spending $60 on him)

If I was into doing customs I would redo some of the white with a bright silver paint. A reprolabel set might do a lot if they make one for him.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

Also where are people gettng Platinum figures in store? I've yet to see any in America.
TRU in Cary, NC.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

SpikeMcclane posted:

For anyone still looking: MP Soundwave has been available on the TRU website since last night.
Here is a link:

As of this posting, the "Ship to Home" option is available.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought it was a reference to Transformers: Cybertron. Cyber planet keys and whatnot.
This is what I thought as well. Looking forward to finding out more about that dimension/spark/whatever.

I picked up a Spyshot 6 today at a local toy show. He is a really cool little bot! The head reminds me of Rung and it has killer light piping.

Have some pics!

e: bonus

TheDK fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 29, 2013

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Joe Fisto posted:

Masterpiece Prowl is instock at TFsource.
Well, I did what I said I wouldn't do and ordered a Prowl...

...worst part is I also ordered generations Ratbat and the Perfect Effect camera trio.

Can't wait for that box to show up :dance:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Wow this custom Kup (using the Orion Pax mold) is perfect:
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/kup-wreckers-reformatted-t96881.php#p1521530

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Holy gently caress that Optimus is hideous! It is pretty sad when the best looking part is the tires...

Gaahhhhhh, movie toys.

:qq:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
The sooner we forget about that... monster, the better.

Have some pictures of much better toys:

Opened these up to find the 01 has two left feet... dang. I emailed TFSource, so we'll see if they can help me out. Regardless, they are killer little bots.

Simply put: Amazing. This is how you make a transforming robot toy.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Keldroc posted:

I wouldn't worry. If third party trends for the past year are anything to go by, three more will be announced inside of a month.
The head sculpt looks pretty good and the concept art (assuming that is what he is standing on) looks sick. I don't currently have a Galvatron so if this comes out before an official release, I am in.

WHAT'D HE SAY HIS NAME WAS?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Rung's alt-mode :3:

I'd buy the toy.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Captain Magic posted:

Pre-order up for Unique Toys Galvatron.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=UQT10007&mode=retail

I think I like the alt-mode? I'm not sure. Anyway that's a steep asking price.
Price is indeed steep. Going to need to see some video reviews before I jump on that one.

Also the black repaint of BH Optimus looks pretty great. I might scoop that one up. He looks much more menacing with the Nemesis/Scourge paint scheme.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 23, 2013

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I see there is a third 3rd party Sixgun in the works... :psyduck:

I am not afraid to admit I didn't even know who Sixgun was before these announcements. I had no idea he was so popular.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I know I've said it once already but I really don't understand from where all this Sixshot nonsense came about.

Regarding the comics analysis, I would absolutely read that thread. I've been into MTMTE and RID since their respective runs started. I've also been going back through the Dreamwave comics (I know how some of you feel about them, I just needed a TF comic fix) and have been enjoying reading those and playing with my robots whenever they are relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

*Sixgun. I couldn't give a rat's rear end about Sixgun, Slammer and Scamper... or any of the other lame little guys that came with any of the city bots. They were generally lame little parts-formers that were often just one solid color of plastic with zero painted details that were there so you had something to roll down the ramps if you hadn't already bought some mini-cars. They almost never showed up in anything, and I'm surprised people actually care about them, let alone want to buy one that's Supreme-class. Metroplex, Fort Max, Trypticon and Scorponok were always the main attraction, and those little guys were just cheap freebies.

Now, Sixshot on the other hand, was the first six-changer and one of the coolest toys in the entire G1 line. He mostly appeared in the awful Headmasters anime and had some forgettable comic appearances (mostly in IDW's Devastation series) but he's just a cool rear end toy that's big, looks badass and turns into 6 different things. I kind of see him as the Transformers equivalent to Boba Fett. And surprisingly, there's only been one 3rd party toy of him - Terminus Hexatron, which I own and is fantastic.

I often tell people that if you must own one G1 toy, get a Sixshot. At this year's TFCon, one of my roommates was a big younger than me and wasn't a G1 collector, but saw a reissue MISB for a good price and I told him to go for it. Lo and behold he fell in love with it, and was glad that I told him to get that G1 brick.

Like really, if you're gonna have any G1 toys, the top 10 coolest in my book are:
*Sixshot
*Predaking
*Powermaster Prime (ESPECIALLY if you get God Ginrai \ Apex Armor)
*Ultra Magnus
*Galvatron
*Soundwave (and tapes)
*Megatron
*Fort max
*Jetfire
*Regular Optimus Prime

Honorable mentions go to G2 tank Megatron and G2 Laser Rod Prime, which aren't G1 but close enough.
Yup meant Sixgun, thanks for the correction. Still don't understand all the 3rd party love for a gun transformer whose name is anything other than Megatron. I for one will not be buying a 3rd party metroplex add on. I doubt I will even get a metroplex unless one of you goons is crazy enough to send them out for secret Santa.