Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Goldskull posted:

What's what with CGI red? They can't do full red or something? I've never heard of that before at all.

Red has a tendency to clip or bleed a lot faster than other colors when photographed (film is more blue-sensitive, digital is more green-sensitive). It's the same reason the reds in hasbro stock photos are usually so inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Blackheart posted:

That's just his cozy russian hat.

I'm digging what I've seen of MP Star Saber, but he really can't hold his sword in a decent way? Every pic i see has him holding it like he has to paddle people with the flat side of the sword, and the little wings on the hilt make it look like that's the only way he can hold the blade unless you use the long handle which in turn makes it floppy?
Yeah, his giant sleeves prevent his sword from being held in a useful way. The original toy looks like it had that problem too though, so you can probably scoop up a bucket full of TFW posters who will tell you it's actually better for not violating the Sacred Angles of 1989.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

So, messing with Star Saber... is there anywhere I can actually store his smaller sword hilt? It's got a post on it, but I'm not seeing any suitable hole anywhere and the instructions don't mention anything.

His helmet grip can hold onto it if you don't mind it just hanging out on his backpack.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

He doesn't even need a new body- don't the DJD just get a new guy to take over the name when one of them dies?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Captain Blaargh posted:

That is exactly what happens. Even if they keep the same character all they have to do is make him one of those lightening tanks from the old Godzilla movies and, bang, toy. That I will army build. :getin:

Or more likely an Alpha Bravo repaint for an arbitrary DJD combiner.

Actually I would love that :v:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

With Megatron's hard labor/gladiator origin they could even go full Spartacus and make them a bunch of dudes who briefly called themselves Megatron as an act of solidarity

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The bomber limb was using Silverbolt as a reference image, so it's definitely something they're not ready to reveal yet.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Maybe it's the new Blast Off.

Or at least whoever is filling in for Blast Off until he reappears as an Alpha Bravo repaint 2 waves later.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

new Cassette Decepticons

Is this a thing? Rumble and Frenzy (and I guess Rewind) had those scarce United figures a while ago, but I haven't heard anything for the rest.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Well I certainly wasn't expecting the DJD to be packing a bossy mom-bot at home. :stare:

Decepticon Jammies Division

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Is it just me, or does Galvatronus' crown, nipple vents, and cockpit chest look suspiciously like it's going to end up as a Starscream somewhere down the line?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Most definitely- they have the same earmuffs and everything!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, that certainly looks like a guy who thinks Missiles are high on the list of Important Safety Equipment.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Wasn't there a Sixturbo repaint that had Prowl as an additional Defensor member?

Though any CW Prowl should really be combining with Devastator.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think people just have an issue with a rescue helicopter having missiles, without realizing that he's just pretending and is a million year old metal organism designed only for killing.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

DisposableHero posted:

I don't know how you can be expected to fully protect anything without some missles to fire at assailants. This is like Protect Things 101 stuff.

They're water missiles, for putting out fires- one set carries the hydrogen, the other carries oxygen, and they combine on impact.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Calling it now, Tarn isn't Roller, he's Nemesis Ambus. Who else could be that nefariously administrative?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's really bizarre. I saw a guy on there complain that he couldn't take a higher paying job because his TRU stock boy discount was the only way he'd be able to afford to buy 2 Devastators.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They capitalize the T and F in the movie logos too, does that mean they're officially G1? Will he kill himself when he realizes?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

And you can clip his arm kibble to his hand as a shield and turn him into a little robot Captain America.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

fire engines are hardly instruments of oppression.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Phy posted:

Armada Megatrons still on the shelves.

This is disappointing - Armada Megatron is one imperious son of a bitch.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

She also stormed out during the trial right after Brainstorm said he was a Decepticon, so she missed a lot of it. Ratchet's reason for seeing her probably had more to do with preserving a friendship that was just starting rather than just a bunch of old ones.
The panel where Ratchet mentions Drift to Ten had her little action figure prominently in the foreground, so it seems like we're supposed to draw a comparison between the Drift/Ratchet relationship and Nautica/Brainstorm.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I'd gamble on Blast Off being the fourth odd man out over Ratchet. We still don't know what the stealth bomber from the combiner poll is for, and I could see it being on Hasbro's Bruticus while Takara remolds Alpha Bravo into a space shuttle.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 25, 2015

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I didn't know Shockwave even used tumblr.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Blackheart posted:

Who's "wandering" roller, and why the "curse" part on Armada thrust?
Apparently "wandering" Roller got stuck in between dimensions with Prime's trailer after Optimus died and is now out for revenge?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Picked up TAV-30 Grimlock the other day, and was pretty surprised how much was changed from the FOC version. Pretty much just the robot toes, thighs, and forearms from the original.

Between this, Combiner Wars, and stuff like Sandstorm/Springer, I feel like they're putting way more effort in than necessary to trick people into buying the same toy over and over again.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also I have no idea how big or small this thing will be. I'm guessing standard MP car size?

If they keep robot modes to scale, he'll be slightly larger than exo-suit Spike.

I hope they don't.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

The lore from the comics is typically what gets used these days too, which center around Primus and Unicron being cosmic Gods and such. Whereas in G1, it's more like "eh, they were just regular robots built by Quintessons. The Quints were dicks and the transformers rebelled. The end." In more recent stuff like IDW, the transformers arguably aren't even robots per se as they are energy beings in robot suits.

I love the original cartoon backstory - they're basically the Quintessons' Skynet.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Optimus sure is looking.... friendly.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

God I'd KILL for a 2-pack of redeco'd Skullsmasher/Mindwipe as Optimus Primalbat and Crocatron. LOOK AT THAT IT'S PERFECT

Halfway there isn't bad.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Good Listener posted:

So is movie Hound just movie Ironhide again? I didn't watch the movie but going off the description on TFWiki, it just sounds like Ironhide again but fat cuz John Goodman.

He's Walter Sobchak, Autobot. Remains to be seen if he rolls out on Shabbos.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I would never have expected there to be a combiner made of female Megatron and her minions, but here we are.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I feel like the Machinima Combiner Wars series is probably worse. At least the comic is just a writer bending to the latest editorial mandate to promote the brand.
Meanwhile a non-televised cartoon based on a defunct toyline doesn't seem to have the freedom to make a cool premise like "Optimus and Megatron vs The Civilzation They Created" interesting. At least I finally know what a million year war actually feels like now, thanks to the pacing of these things.

Also, I'm not sure if they're intentionally trying to homage the animation of lovely cartoons from the 80's, but there's no reason for a modern CGI show created by an actual animation studio to not include:
Motion Blur
Depth of Field
Frames Per Second (any)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Has anyone tried decoding the last page in MTME?
It says MTMTE 2012-2016.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Also many people on other sites are speculating that the titular Last Knight is going to be Megatron and that it's going to lead to a full role reversal for him and Optimus Prime
Nah, it's gonna be Marky Mark.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Alone in his bathtub, hand wrapped firmly around his mangled, grey penis, Michael Bay lies. His mind wandering between different robots, all in tacky parodies of national costume. As his stroke speed increases he imagines them peering down at his pathetic naked form. With one swing of their truck nuts they could crush him. Crush him into a beautiful fleshy pulp. As he feels his buttocks tense in the lukewarm water, he imagines the red robot whispering in his ear "Le baguette. I surrender. Snails are magnifique". He reaches sweet climax as the robot is snooty to a restaurant customer, and lets his head sink below the fouled water.

Don't leak the screenplay.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

bagrada posted:

How would the James Roberts comics be for an almost 9 year old who loves the Michael Bay movies? An amazon comment mentions Last Stand of the Wreckers might be better for ages 13+ and to use parental discretion. I was thinking of grabbing him either Last Stand or the first MTMTE trade.

The Roberts stuff is good, but is a little fanfictiony. It expects a certain amount of familiarity with the characters going into it, but gets better once you're invested in everyone's story.
It might be easier to get him into it if he already has any toys of the main characters - when I was a kid I would watch Beast Wars pretty much just to see if any of the toys I owned appeared.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hemingway To Go! posted:

one odd thing is that the original "bayformer" design was to make the robots look like they really transformed from cars, they are made of car parts. they are alien car robots.
they got away from the alien part - making them into metal humans, like sentinal prime has facial hair millions of years before the first human and aoe's cast is a bunch of robots each sporting their own human culture stuff - and now they're getting further away from the part where they look like they came from an alt mode
I like to think of it as a progression of the robots' relationship with humans.
In the first ones, the Autobots are trying to resemble something familiar to humans, but only really get it "close enough" and basically end up looking like skeletons that are wearing car parts .
The decepticons don't care about interacting with humanity for the most part, so end up with weirder shapes.
By the time the 4th movie redesign comes around, the robots have been around long enough to have a better idea of how to interpret Earth's visual language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Transformers: James Roberts is exactly the writer we deserve