Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Knormal posted:

That torso layout looks terrifying.

Swap the names around and this is exactly how I feel. The official Megatron looks the best overall, but he also looks like he's going to be fiddly as hell, and he's a flat grey. Mightron (and Apollyon before him) look more like the old MP aesthetic and scratch my toy Megatron itch. Now if they come out with a shiny silver MP Megs then I may get sad. But having too many masterpiece-level Megatron figures isn't a problem I mind having. I suspected this was coming after the leak and bought Mightron anyway.

And as a nice nod to those of you wanting an MP Beast Wars Megatron he has stubbly little T-rex arms. Really it's that Prime's arms are too long, but it does look kind of bad side by side.

Actually, you'll notice that the two are near the same height, but that Megatron's torso is a bit shorter, meaning his legs are longer. Megatron's arms end an equivalent amount past his pelvis compared to Optimus, it's just that his proportions are so different.

I believe this is modelled on the Nazo uniforms from Hugo Boss, which were similarly high-waisted, especially when compared to UK or US forces, thus subtlety re-inforcing at a glance who is good and who is bad. (Use of "prime" colours on Optimus versus the stark look of Megatron does this too.)

Transformers designs are surprisingly well thought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So I'm not gonna have money for any masterpieces any time soon ever.
So i'm quite content with stuff that looks good on the shelf, and occassionally gets transformed or posed.

Does anyone know what KO this is, and if it's just awful, or if it's passable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351776603687

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm not normally one for gimmicks, but I'll be damned if this guy isn't just the cutest:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

What model is that behind Hoist?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entertainment Earth are legit, they get a lot of Con exclusives and stuff like that.
(That don't sell that well and end up in toy shops across the planet, with the staff laughing at it saying "Entertainment Earth exclusive!)

Shame for me that they wanna charge $75 shipping on a $90 item just because I happen to live in the UK :(

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

holy gently caress, somehow I forgot Blaster was leader-class when I ordered him. He's goddamn gigantic.

He's great is what he is.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

In addition to all the TFs that I've got lately, and a couple of ones I looked out, I have a bunch of individual combiners from my child hood.
I have Blast Off and Swindle from the Combaticons, Drag Strip from the Stunticons, and poor old Slingshot as the only Autobot, coming from the Aerialbots. (Who is also missing an arm, and his nosecone)

I'm going to look on eBay and other places, and I'm going to see if I can get one of the torso guys from any of the combiners and make some weird hybrid. (Provided the torso comes with the kibble for the combined form.)

What ridiculous monstrosity should I make?

Abominus looks great, and Hun-Gurr is a good looking bot, but he's a bit pricier than the other options, so I'm thinking I might just try and get Menasor.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I'd ordered 8 Fort Maxes from Entertainment Earth for 90 bucks earlier in the month, saw them for 75 and contacted them about price matching my order with the current price, and they're going to refund the difference, which is cool of them. Cool enough that I'm going to order 8 more Fort Maxes from them :unsmigghh:

I had a Metroplex that I bought for myself and never wound up opening that I sold for nearly four times what I paid, so I figure at that low a clearance price, there's little chance I won't make at least double my investment on Fort Matryoshka.

noooooo thanks!

You're the devil.
Unless they STILL have plenty of stock of course.
But this intetnion makes you the debil.

Whereas I'm sitting here, wishing I had the hundred pounds to buy him from A1 but I don't.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

In good toy news, Twinferno is the poo poo.
Especially if you just pretend he has no arms, but 3 heads, in robot form.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The first couple pages of Lost Light #2 are up on the iTunes page, but they're teeny weeny.
Not sure if you can get them at a decent size, since I don't use iTunes, is anyone able to advise?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dunno how this thread feels about 3p/KO, but does anyone have the MakeToys "Manga Mech"s? Thinking about picking them up because they look exactly like the comics.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

I just have the Swerve, and yes, he's a near perfect comic representation. I've played with the Tailgate, he's pretty good.

They might still have the 3 pack on their website. Saves you a couple bucks if you don't want to spend more for the Cyclonus kit. $60 for their tailgate is kind of a rip off.

According to the pics, the 3 pack should have the cyclonus kit too, though i might ask them to confirm.

Now just to find the £100

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Phy posted:

start the reactor

Open your mind

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Can't see anywhere in the UK selling the Bisk toy, and all the oversees sellers need as much again for shipping as for the toy.

I keep hearing good things about it too! Anyone got any leads on where I can get Bisk for less than the £30 it'd take to get it from the states?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

This is a good post.

Everybody remember what a good post looks like.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

How come the Optimus Prime pen has way more articulation than pretty much anything else I've seen at that size?
Just got him delivered today and he's great. (Not transformed him yet, using him as a deskbot)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Had a few minutes to kill so went into Toys R Us in Woking and ye gods, the selection was poor. Rewinds, Wheelies, Brawns, Clobbers and some other Titan Master (something Tread?), some Bisks (?) at £23, 3 Soundwaves, some other Robots in Disguise Legends and a MP Bumblebee. Oh and some set featuring Prime and Megatron priced at £100

3 step Bisk or good Bisk?
If it's good Bisk I might convince the GF to drive me to TRU this weekend, even though she's already kinda pissed at me.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I think it's the 3 step Bisk, if the price at Toys R Us is the same as at a competing toy retailer

Boo. Can't find a Bisk other than importing it, and that'd be about £30-35

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So I was just browsing Groupon UK, and saw Scattershot and Onslaught for £27 the pair, if anyone is interested.

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/set-of-two-transformers-generations-figures

Shame I already have Scattershot.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I forget who because I'm a dumb, but someone said they were going to list their good eBayers for stuff coming from Asia, did that happen?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

A lovely Reporter posted:

Man, I really need to catch up on the comics. Kind of dreading Lost Light from what I've been hearing, though.

Last issue was pretty good tbh. Im hopeful for the next one.

Cyclonus_Hope-is-a-lie.jpeg

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They are speaking Galactic Common (English) there. Nice try, that's not the High Speech.

Just checked with Roberts, and they're speaking Neocybex.

It makes no sense for a couple to speak anything but their shared native tongue to each other.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Girlfriend went to the shop to get us snacks for the weekend, as I have a new computer to play with, and she got Persona 5.

She brought me back a RiD easter egg.

She's a keeper <3

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

If you never managed to get one, CW Skylynx is rather reasonable on Amazon UK right now (and with free shipping): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017KIQRQU

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I wanted one but got back into TFs quite recently so missed retail availability.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So Sky Lynx arrived yesterday, and he is cool and good.
The back feet are a bit crap, but i knew about that going in. His neck is really loose too though.

Also, went to a TRU and found myself a Gnaw.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

With Gnaw turning up in Wave 4 too, we're going to be drowning in them. Which isn't too bad for an army builder. Might still get the Japanese variant at some point for all the pretty colours.

Was hoping to find a perceptor too, but don't think it's hit UK shelves yet.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

If it wasn't likely to be obscene costing due to size, I'd ask to buy a Fort Max. Stupid living-in-the-UK.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Colleague messaged me on Friday asking if £6.25 was a good deal on Astrotrain, as he knew I'd been picking some stuff up, and sees my Optimus Prime Pen on my desk every day, so I told him to pick it up for me.

Have to say, not normally a fan of triple changers, and I do have a few gripes with this one, but overall it's a nice figure.

Gripes -

Transformation from Robot to Plane doesn't feel like much of a transformation. "Take head off, swivel legs, move some kibble" doesn't really do it for me, but it is a good looking plane.

"Train" mode looks kinda bad, but has a nice, fun, intuitive transformation, especially with the kibble from his back as a robot.

Little Pec Panels (Pecels) that open, kinda, but don't do anything.

Not sure if I prefer the spaceplane nosecone feet, or the front of a train feet.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Nipped into Hamleys today because why not.
They had all of TR wave 4 Deluxes.

£19 each, so I wasn't going to buy more than 1, and the one I bought is the objectively worst of the lot: Perceptor.
But Perceptor is great, so gently caress you.

If you do see Wave 4, and aren't personally compelled to buy Perceptor, buy literally any other one of the wave. (Except for maybe Kup.)
Twin Twist looks to be especially nice, and will be picked up in the future, but not for £19.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, when Smyths and Fenwicks have TR deluxes at 18 and 22 quid respectively, (hell, even Sainsbury's was selling RID2015 deluxes for 18), £19 for hard to find Wave 4s is bloody reasonable. Imma pick up Topspin tomorrow I think.

That's fair, but the last new wave I wanted things from, I paid £18 for one in A1 comics, only to find it for £13 in the Entertainer the next day.
But yeah, Hamleys had one complete set of Wave 4, plus an extra Top Spin and an extra Quake, I think it was.

They had some of wave 3 too, but their only non-Deluxe from Generations was Soundwave, who was about £44, and I already have Blaster,

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Oh, are there people going to TF Nation that want to grab drinks and talk about robits? I won't be in the convention myself, as I'm going to the other nerd event in the NEC that weekend: Magic: the Gathering: Grand Prix Birmingham.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The Rock is a flawless film.

Edit: I broke up with a girl because she said it was a lovely film.

I recently learned that Aaron Sorkin was an (uncredited) contributor to the screenplay.
How much of an effect he had we'll never know I guess.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

ALL ABOARD :bandwagon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43g9RpIXgYQ

(Can confirm, Thew was GONE at Rollout Rollcall)

I love that he said he wanted to drink less, then challenged his subs to a drinking contest for free bots.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Now en route to Birmingham for the Magic: The Gathering GP, but if funds look good going in to saturday or sunday, i might drop the 30 to drop by TFN.

Anyone else doing both events?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Blackheart posted:

I used some cheapo Humbrol acrylics, mostly gunmetal and the other details are blue or black mixed with it too. I disassembled the head to paint the eyes piece (I guess the fig was meant to have lightpiping but it doesn't really work anyway) but man is red acrylic a bitch to apply.

It's good that you mention sealing because I've not applied anything to cover the paint and I'd like to know what products to use and if I can brush them or just buy a spray can. I've got a spray I used to seal graphite drawings (it was basically the same as hair spray), not sure if that'll do.

Brushing is fine.
I suggest you get Vallejo paints if you're going to do more. They feel a bit more expensive than the Humbrols, but the pigment density means once you've diluted what you're going to use, it'll last longer anyway.

The humbrol and vallejo seal/coats are fine. Other strong options are the Tamiyo spray clear coat, or I can recommend checking out acrylic floor waxes. Easy to brush on, usually no need to dilute, work just as well and are real cheap.
I don't know what brands are available near you, so do some googling to find something recommended.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Blackheart posted:

Thank you very much, that's exactly the info I need. I'll see about the acrylic floor wax since it's also so useful for joint and pin tightening.

e: btw I did find a hobby store that sells Gundam markers recently, are they good?

Not familiar I'm afraid, so couldn't tell you.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Kapow in the U.K. claimed to have gotten one. Hadn't heard about Fans Toys though.

Aren't Kapow just a retailer?

Has/Tak are C&D-ing someone selling products legally brought to the UK, not C&D-ing the maker of the products?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Good Listener posted:

Do it already Budianskyyyy.

Also I have managed to pick up Arcee and a set of the MTG cards for a pal. I think uh that Groupon sale from a few weeks back is because well...there's not really a lot of people here :nyoron:

For some reason the main programming is in an arena. I have a very sad pic of a very empty panel arena I can share later. I am havibg a pretty good time though. I'm pumped to meet Peter Cullen and frank Welker tomorrow. I will be sad if I don't :(

Also I wonder if I have inadvertently bumped into DT without even realizing it if he is in fact here.

How much are the MTG cards at the con?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

mehall - The HasCon 3(4) card set is $30 (The one with Grimlock)

Thanks!

If any UK goons are there, and have space in their bag, I will pay 50 quid plus shipping for one of these, so easy double your money.
I get if nobody wants to take that offer, since the sets are about $100 on ebay just now, but any that don't sell are going up Hasbro's store after the event, I just don't want to have to deal with US shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

New Thew!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyhRenPqOOU