Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I got TrailcutterBLAZER and Orion Pax recently. Gave Trailblazer Pax's axe so now he looks like he could go toe to toe with Straxus or Drift.

But what I really noticed about Orion Pax is without the Prime faceplate, he looks a LOT like Ironhide. A new Ironhide/Ratchet using this base mold would probably turn out better than the other Ironhide we already got from the Generations line. The paneling on his arms would have to be changed a little bit to make an enclosed area in vehicle mode.

I'm hoping, really really hoping, that when Masterpice Prowl comes out, this urge to buy cool robots that turn into things will fade a little bit. The original Prowl was my first Transformer as a kindergartener.

Yeah, right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sentinel Red posted:

Preview for MTMTE 20's out:

Ambus looks, ah, pretty much dead as the proverbial- just his body and a load of goop pouring out where his head used to be. Ratchet is lamenting over trying to repair Ambulon, looks like Pharma's buggered off but left First Aid alone, thankfully.

The bulk of the preview is Cyclonus, Dai Atlas and Whirl being awesome wrecking dudes left, right and centre, with Whirl wondering why Cyclonus' sword is all lit up and nuclear super saiyan and stuff. Naturally, Whirl ends the scene with an :iceburn:

Basically, it needs to come out yesterday.

Yeah, but didn't Rung lose his head and live? I'm not insisting he IS alive, mind you, I just think these Cybertronians are pretty hard to outright kill.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Mike Patton as Grimlock? All I can hear is his "Darkness" voice when I think of him. "Oh, listen to me, Jackie, I'm evil and totally enunciating every syllable... IN AN EVIL MANNER."

Just get the original voice actor t do it. He did a great job in Fall of Cybertron, different as it was.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Now i read Cyclonus as Garrus too. Thanks, guys.

They have Sandstorm and Springer at the Targets in the north Chicagoland area. Got sandstorm because those VTOL engines look badass in robot mode. I don't really like the actual VTOL mode, though the dune buggy is pretty good. I get the feeling that I could transform it better, though, because in vehicle modes there are little gaps and things aren't quite flush.

Hs gun kind of sucks compared to Springsr's weapons.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The current IDW Dinobots origin is a little confusing. The Monstrosity comic has them, especially Grimlock, transforming into weird Cybertronian monsters when they lose their cool, which is fine in and of itself, but the initial arc where they were introduced around Maximum Dynobots had them using Beast Wars-esque alt modes to survive Shockwave's poisonous Ore-13 energon deposits on Earth. It was implied that the Dynobots (clever team name, by the way. Sounds like Dinobots but has nothing to do with prehistoric Earth creatures) were kind of freaked out by having to take beast modes and had existing vehicle modes. On the other hand, they've had millions of years to cure themselves of whatever they had.

I don't have my comics with me at the moment, so I could be wrong, of course.

I would like to see more backstory on Skar or an appearance of Paddles, honestly.

Grimlock has just been getting more and more messed up, like Movie Bumblebee, but in a good way. He's not dumb, just ain't got time to leak.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

Because I jumped into the IDW party late all I've seen of Grimlock has been in Monstrosity and the Dinobots in MTMTE. What is their story in IDWverse?

The Dynobots are loyal to Grimlock, and Grimlock is a loose cannon cop on the edge who doesn't play by the rules.

They went after Shockwave, who was on Earth testing his energon Ore-13, one of his many energon experiments. In the early stages, it's very toxic to Cybertronians, so the Dynobots get dinosaur forms, like in Beast Wars. Shockwave has a personal shield because he knows how dangerous his experiments can be. The protected dinosaur forms are the best the Dinobots can do on short notice. I think they were implied to have vehicle forms like in the Dreamwave comics, but I don't have my back issues with me, so I'm not 100 percent on Monstrosity retconning this.

In the early days of the IDW comics, they had an emphasis on covert teams in disguise and the Autobot
-Decepticon war was a cold one. Starscream's team on Earth consisted of the Skywarp, Thundercracker, Astrotrain, Blitzwing, Runabout and Runamuck. Prowl's team consisted of Bumblebee, Ironhide, Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, and Jazz and Ratchet. Finding the Ore-13 on Earth got Megatron and Optimus Prime involved directly in what was, in the big scheme of things, a backwater conflict. (Which kind of makes you wonder why they had both Prowl AND Jazz there.) Overlord, from Last Stand of the Wreckers, was a "closer" for Megatron's six stage plan to strip mine a planet without the inhabitants knowing until it was too late. Before any of the big guns showed up, it was all cloak and dagger stuff.

Furman had some good ideas, honestly. He still has that hilariously pulpy British feel, so that can really put some people off. The Headmasters were pretty interesting, I thought. The whole concept of Head/Targetmasters is pretty stupid though if you ask me. The Pretenders, likewise, we're an interesting choice, especially with what they did to Kup. (Where did he go, anyway? The zombie universe crossover just ate him?)

Back to the Dinobots, in dinosaur days. Their halfassed plan backfired on them and Grimlock got them all buried alive for millions of years rather than let Shockwave escape. The Dinobots forgave him, eventually, and he got them pardoned from their insubordination charges when he surrendered to Ultra Magnus, the DULY APOINTED ENFORCER OF THE TYREST ACCORD. Grimlock was imprisoned on Garrus-9, and mysteriously disappeared during Overlord's coup. I guess he was in some kind of cryopod for transit, and suffered some brain damage.

EDIT: jumped around there a little, sorry. Mostly fixed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 6, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Veg posted:

Thats the best looking Magnus of the lot, to me anyway.

I quite like the Fall of Cybertron Magnus. I have the original Optimus Prime, so it doesn't really bother me that he's basically a remold of an unnecessary second figure.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 8, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
When I see that G2 Sideswipe, I want to start shouting in Furmanese.

Furmanese is kinda like Engrish.

I still like G2 Sideswipe.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Yonic Symbolism posted:

vangelus just did detailed reviews of all of them except for the combined form, and he does not gloss over objective flaws, so if you want an opinion more complex than just "THEY SUCK" or "THEY DONT SUCK", I would recommend watching them.

I'm satisfied with mine but I like small cheap robots and have no attraction to giant expensive bots like metroplex or hercules.

I got the Target translucent gift set. They all have about as much articulation as the G1 toys in all their modes. They're pretty small so you really just have to get a pose you can live with (shoulders and hips only!) for the individual bots or Abominus and just live with it.

They don't have any extra parts, so Abominus has one huge hand with two fingers and two thumbs and another hand that's actually a bird's head with some kind of weird backward winged fingers. Or a shield? The instructions don't say. He has one good monster foot, and a sort of peg-leg (whose legs don't peg themselves for very long if he's not standing straight on that leg.) The weapon doesn't tab together terribly well. The body is a liiiiiitle bit too small for its monster limbs.

As individual robots or monsters, they look pretty cool, and are neat reboots of G1 characters. Not much poseability, but they look neat, except for Rippersnapper's beast mode, which is only good looking from a very limited selection of angles. Good robot mode though, in fact they all look great as a cute little monster strike team that will probably get stepped on by any Masterpiece toy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

So I finally got Sandstorm! He's pretty bitching, although his VTOL mode does NOT want to peg together at all. The engines are getting in the way of his arms/side fins which are stopping those pegs from fitting together, and I've no idea how his gun is supposed to connect. The dune buggy mode is great though!

I don't have mine in front of me at the moment, but angle the engines up till you get things as situated as you can. I like the dune buggy mode far better, no problems there for me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

This man (woman?) has it. I was doing the arms like Springer and instead they stay long and relatively loose. Hmm. It's amazing the amount of retooling between the two bots and how much ends up being different.

I got the gun in, it really does just click in, but you have to find the sweet spot. It looks kinda clunky sitting there, until you sit it on a flat surface and that VTOL mode suddenly looks very hefty:

I just don't like that gun, especially the way it's "supposed" to attach. Seems almost an afterthought. Springer seems to have two perfectly good weapons to Sandstorm's shotgun rocket launcher or whatever that thing is.

It turns out that I wasn't shifting the whole top portion forward properly, I was leaving it in dune buggy mode while it was a VTOL. I am SMRT. Now that I know to do it properly, I'm much happier with that mode. I'm just not a fan of floppy veetles I guess. :shobon:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
As a grown-rear end man who enjoys transforming robot children's toys and video games, I saw those spoilers, went "oh well" and didn't change my plans to read and enjoy the comic book that was just spoiled at all.

(I understand it's polite and I try not to spoil things myself, but it's always struck me as odd how some people can get bent out of shap over such a trivial thing.)

\/\/\/ Yeah man I've been here for years, I just can't wrap my head around how anyone could care also much about it. I'm not looking to upset anyone or spoil anything.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 28, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Joe Fisto posted:

Prowl has arrived

I got a message from my delivery app that te UPS man was by my house already, but is gonna take the weekend off and try again Monday.

Because work.

I'm so jealous.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Rage posted:

The only movie figure I kept was Leader Brawl. I can't say no to a sweet tank.

Also the Amazon exclusive launchers are so worth it

Those are neat. I wasn't even aware that was a thing, BBTS hasn't ever screwed me over so I'm not in the habit of shopping around.

I guess I should be. The default cannons are nice. It's really a well-made toy. My inner 4 year old is quiet, for now.

Do Smokescreen and Bluestreak have similar extra shoulder cannons as bonuses from any place? I remember Smokescreen's shoulder cannons being pretty hefty in the cartoon.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Keldroc posted:

He's the only Crow worth caring about given the horrible sequels in the film franchise and the comics. I still think something worthwhile could have been done with the idea, but all anyone ever did was rehash the first story over and over.

I'm sorry this is dredging up a post from a while back, but not ALL The Crow stories were revenge-based rehashes of the original. I remember reading one, the last before I totally dropped comics for a while due to being a poor student, where Mark Lueng, as the Crow, was totally unconcerned with his own death, his only concern was the safety of his underage daughters from sex slavery. There was a pretty strong anti-sex tourism/Thailand bent but I didn't disagree with it.

Sorry to dredge that up, this is a thread about Transformers. Just catching up and had to say something.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crow_(comics)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Went to Target, they had the wave with Scoop, Starscream, Skywarp and the Minicons.

I wanted the Minicons so that worked out well, but I saw ONE Goldfire over the holidays at various stores on the North Side of Chicago, no Skids or Waspinators.

I can just wait for BBTS to get of their rear end and distribute those two, but this must be frustrating for some people.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571842

I agree with Terry, there's more to Bay than meets the eye.

It's what you get when "artists" who are also crazy get to make movies. Professor Clumsy wants the same treatment for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or something very much like it. :v:

At this point I'm not as emotionally invested in Transformers 4 being the best thing ever. Expectations: managed.

The Minicon combiner team is neat, but worse than the butt-face is the almost completely hollow chest cavity. The plane guy doesn't have elbows, so the arms sort of touch the plane's cockpit or wings in the combined mode. There's no room to tuck the arms under the helicopter unless you want the front part to fall off.

It's become obvious to me that the pack-in comics for this wave are the reason for Dark Cybertron's existence. Taken on their own, they seem kind of cool and might cause you to start reading the books, but when you're already reading the comics the crossover is really dragging it's rear end.

I would have preferred Spotlights, even as mediocre as the last wave's were. Though I thought Hoist's was a little above the level one would expect for a child's toy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

Oh wow, that's a good mix-up! I've still not played Fall yet.

Fall is the better of the two games. It's paced better than the first game, it seems like a couple of episodes of a TV show, and it works.

I liked both.

Fall also has the Dinobots.

As a side note, they changed Optimus Prime's body for this game, and released a new toy. The Ultra Magnus remold actually looks really, really good I think and is my favorite Ultra Magnus. It almost feels like they made it for Magnus and retooled it for Prime. I would probably count it as somewhere in my top five Transformer toys.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

Prime got like 3 different versions of Ultra Magnus, most of them larger than the Generations one.

No Excuses :colbert:

How much hollow space do those ones have, though? Hollow space is a pet peeve of mine.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

An Angry Bug posted:

Then you're probably not going to be a TF collector for long.

Odds: beaten.

I'm just choosy I guess. :v:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\/\ Are those faces on their chests?

catch22 posted:

Wow that looks great! Is she actually that big?

That looks like a bigger, modded Prime Arcee to me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 14, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Soooo... am I gonna have to scalp for Cosmos and Swerve and the other Legends or what? I'm around Chicago in the US.

I THINK BBTS is gonna make good on my Skids preorder. Fingers crossed...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Phy posted:

The jerk in me wants to pose Movie Prime dangling the removable face over Bee's head, like when the class bully would take your lunchbox.

That is the best idea.

Is he gonna come with two faces, I guess? Cartoon and original toy?

BBTS has sent me an email which says Bumblebee is gonna be five whole dollars cheaper than the Lambos and Nissans.

Still nothing on that Skids I preordered back when it was first possible to though...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

So these fellas showed up today from SirToys. They have them for around 40 American dollars each, half of what BBTS wants for their newly discovered reserves they emailed about recently.

Not-Bombshell's shoulders/shoulder pads are pretty loose, and if they were his hips I doubt he could stand on his own. They're not in any danger of falling off, they're just floppy. Maybe I should try some of that paint mentioned a few pages back.

On the other hand, Not-Shrapnel's hips are pretty tight, though not disturbingly so. His mandible vambrace thingies had a little extra plastic I had to shave off to get the claws to fit in there but I didn't have that much trouble.

Not-Kickback's kunai are SHARP.

Also included was a red and blue big hipped truck man with laser ankles. Like Gears' twin brother with cerebral palsy. And laser ankles. So there's that!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Keldroc posted:

They are KOs. Most obvious clue is the netting on Shrapnel's arm.

Still, at half the price it's not like they're half the quality. Well worth having in a Classics collection, I say.

More comparisons here.

Yeah, other than the really floppy shoulders on Bombshell, these guys seem pretty neat so far. Shrapnel's arms have a totally different pattern, those three bars don't come to a point at all, they just square off where they would begin to taper. The square sticker on the box is green for sure.

MinionOfCthulhu, I didn't get any extra weapons for anyone, Not-Shrapnel is wearing his pinwheel on his back. The instructions for Not-Bombshell show him using Not-Shrapnel's claws, perhaps that's what you're thinking? Or maybe you just got the real thing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

3 posted:

Yeah, real brooding, that Drift.

Where have you been? Doriftu-chan hasn't been a racist embarrassment for a while, not since Roberts got his hands on him anyway.

Isn't that pic just an example of trading one genre of Manga for another, though? He's like a perky Japanese air hostess!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sire Oblivion posted:

Speaking of KOs, how's the quality of them generally? I ordered an ROTF Buster Prime because like hell I'm paying $250+ for one and $90 seems kind of too good to be true considering the pictures posted on the listing.

I guess it depends on who is counterfeiting what. Aside from the minor problems I noted with my Ninja Insecticons, they're pretty good quality I guess.

FAKE EDIT: Oh also I had to shave Not-Shrapnel's claw pegs a bit.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Year of the Horse Prime just has golden chrome, right? That doesn't seem that ugly to me. The trailer, on the other hand... I dunno. I got the translucent BH Abominus, and it's not bad at all, really. Kind of want the solid color ones, but not enough to do anything about it for a non-Classics toy.

I might just be a weirdo though because I didn't care for MP Sideswipe, but was all over the G2 color version.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I am still looking for a Waspinator if anybody comes across one.

BBTS emailed me and told me none (including my preorder :argh:) are available till September. Oh well.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 23, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sentinel Red posted:

Genuine question: if there's already been an amnesty and if you've just helped save all creation, do you not merit a fresh slate if you have genuinely come to the conclusion that you allowed your world view to become warped and have basically completely hosed up the last 4 millions years for everyone?

It comes down to the whole crime and punishment thing, is it worth punishing and ostracising someone if they accept what they did was wrong and wish to repent and make amends? Isn't rehabilitation preferable to simple retribution and punishment for the sake of it?

To err is robot-y, to forgive is divine. Or something.

It does make even less sense that Bluestreak will be joining the Lost Light now, mind. That poor dude is PSTD' up the wazzoo and now has to see the face of the guy responsible every single day? The mind boggles.

Buggered if I know but it's certainly something to consider.

They will either be best buds or Bluestreak will have committed Suicide By Megatron by Season 4.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So wait, those guys DON'T like what James Roberts is doing? I mean, some of the dialog is a bit British, innit, but that's not anything remotely resembling any kind of deal.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Till all (instances of Transformers in any media format) are one!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Trash-Talk, Cogwheel and My First Blaster arrived today.

Hasbro needs to hire these Maketoy people and give them whatever they need.

They're perfect.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: Double post. That's what I get for posting in a store with horrible reception.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 5, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here's an odd question. Is the Spike included with the MP-10 Prime to scale with what we've seen of the Daniel included with the MP Bumblebee?

Just curious, kind of miffed my YOTH Prime didn't come with a Roller or Spike. Roller is not a problem, I've found a knockoff in transparent blue that seems to match the repair bay, but Polly Pockets For Boys figures seem a little more problematic, I want to be sure of the sizes before I spend any more.

AOE Slag looks pretty good. The forearms are hollow, but the only hollow body parts I dislike are the ones like the Minicon Assault Team' chest hollow.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rita Repulsa posted:

Then why make a huge fat green stubby limbed autobot with something on his chin (guard/beard) that turns into a truck in the first place

Because Ironhide is dead, you MONSTER.

EDIT: The archetype must be fulfilled. In much the same way as Crosshairs is no doubt the specialist as Jazz/Sideswipe/DinoMirage was.

Kup would have been a better match from the looks of Hound, but Bay's gonna Bay.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 7, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Whedon is still different enough. There aren't many like him. That are paid to do things, anyway.

Same for Roberts. They may not be perfect, sure, but at least they're trying.

It's like, people who don't like Game of Thrones because fantasy. What do they like instead? Sports, probably. Maybe dry documentaries or nice thick mathematics texts. Whedon and James are GoT in this halfassed figure of speech.

Toy Talk: Is Galvatron the silver truck people thought was Ultra Magnus? I remember seeing a pic of a figure identified as Galvatron next to a sliver truck, with both toys having what looked like the same purple gun.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Terry van Feleday's analysis of the Bay Movies is a real treat, you should check out that topic or get a hold of the .pdf to read if you haven't already.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ I'm telling you dude, there's a serious trolling the longtime fans vibe that Terry unearths in a coherent manner.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 10, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Art can make you feel strongly about things. Trolling can be art.

The feelings are not always good ones.

Maybe I'm just a big Moseby. But then I see the undercurrents in pew pew pew Bay movies and Terry starts to make a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

I saw a Swerve today at target.

It's happening, it's happening!

WHERE