Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Gammatron 64 posted:

As Yonic said, Beast Wars was so successful because it had a very diverse group of characters with their own ideas for what they wanted, and had conflict with not only their enemies but also their teammates. ("Disgusting vermin!") When's the last time Bumblebee and Bulkhead got in an argument, or anybody disagreed with Prime? A friend of mine made an interesting observation - "One thing that's really weird about Prime, is that just like the various anime, the Autobots don't really interact with each other. They just interact with the kids."

That's one thing I liked about animated, the Autobots won the great war, and a lot of them were total jerks, it added a lot of depth to the characters at least compared to the other series. I agree that prime feels flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Keldroc posted:

New TF Legends episode starts today, entitled "All Hail Galvatron." No word on cards that I saw, but I think Galvatron is a safe assumption. Maybe we'll finally get a Rodimus and possibly Springer?

It's:

Sergeant Kup T4 [x3]
Ultra Magnus T4 [x5]
Hot Rod T5 [x10]

vs

Galvatron and 3 other unknown decepticons.

I'm willing to bet unicron will pop in as a non player character but as a x1/x2 series boss.

Wallet is getting killed with back to back events, so I'll probably go casual on this event, I'm not a big Galvatron fan.

And the event is a half hour late again....

/edit

And scourge and cyclonus come back with new art and beefed up card stats after appearing already a month ago... :v:

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 22, 2013

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Instead of dumping money into this next Transformers Legends episode I picked up vol 1-3 of MTMTE, pretty awesome read.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Is TFW community sometimes mental?

I got called out for hacking and cheating in the TFL game because I placed in the top 40 the last few events because while its ok for me to spend $300 on the latest Masterpiece Leroy One Gotron figure, it's apparently impossible for someone to spend the same on a transformers mobile game.

Not saying its smart but sheesh, lots of drama.

That being said the issue was a few people were cheating but the proof was a credits hack which in itself is pretty useless, since after awhile you should be swimming in millions of credits if you are winning any event prizes at all.

That being said there's maybe a way to reset the available space bridges after an update. If so thats a big problem since someone could in theory keep resetting the episode/event bridges back to $1.00 all the time and save a ton of money.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Veg posted:

You spent $300 on one event in TFL? drat son.

But yes, the TFW2005 community is terrible.

No but 80-100$ for a few events in a row.. yeah.. that's just as bad.

My excuse was I was in Vegas and I was blowing money on stupid poo poo for on and off over a month or two anyways.

Had a chat with a few folks afterwards there are a few legit issues with TFL.

One was the source code to the game/javascript was completely un-encrypted for a while where folks with file explorers on the android side and sift through the code and figure out upcoming features or see holes in the game.

One of which is the admin commands are built into the client :cripes: so the guys who are running the game is using the same code as the customer, that's a big no no for any online/mmo game in design. There was or were ways to trigger this on the client and have people generate anything they wanted.

The TFL team is really small it seems, the whole mobage thing isn't that big of an operation, maybe 70-100 employees running 20+ games so resources are stretched thin, you probably got everything logged but no one to actually pour over and look at issues.

Semi wierd poo poo is:

-Mobage has no idea how a mobage account is tied to a google wallet or apple store account.. support actually asks you this because they can't verify how you paid for mobacoins/cybercash in the first place. :v:

-Playing multiple clients at the same time on the same account seems to work and is within the rules of the TOS, which means a few TFW folks had their kids playing the the same account as pops at the same time. In theory you can grind through bosses twice as fast as someone mashing buttons on one phone. Theres sync issues with battle cube regen but if you reboot the client that solves that issue.

-Playing IOS and Android with the same account gives you access to mobacoins and cybercash, so you can pay to play on both platforms giving you a small window to buy cheap space bridges twice allowing you to pay to play but do so much cheaper than people playing the "right" way.

So yeah I'm dialing back spending on TFL now big time since there seems to be much of this stuff flying around.

On another note, any graphic novel recommendations besides Regeneration One and MTMTE vol 1-3? I picked those up last night.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 22, 2013

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Holy tittie sprinkles I'm done with the TF fandom on TFW and other sites.

:cripes:

So after playing too much Transformers: Legends, google directed a lot of people searching for info on the game to the largest thread over on TFW2005, which deals with the game. Thats how I found that forum.

A month ago a forum split happened, some old timers got banned from TFW over stupid reasons, and a lot of the top playerbase took their ball left TFW2005 and created a new forum and a chat channel away from TFW. I followed along and jumped ship as well.

Which was fine but man some of the guys were horrible, I mean they love transforming robots and I love transforming robots but I guess the similarity ends there.

One guy in particular got into sharing way too much personal information about himself, his relationships, pictures of his ex, his huge gun collection and generally right wing rants usually inserted into discussion when everyone else is talking about transforming robots.

Tonight was the straw that melted my mind, talking about the Jazz Robot prize for the game event today.. and instead we had the dude ranting about his black neighbors barking dog and invoking zimmerman/trayvon, going on a racist tirade...

I just.. ugh... pulled the plug, removed myself from the forum/chat and just walked away.

If that dude was here I'd totally buy him an avatar of a klan member with an autobot logo on the hood because gently caress.. crazy fans.

Theres some cool dudes there but some people are so afraid of confrontation they are little the crazies slide.

Oh well... I'm done with the dumb mobile game, my account is corrupted and Mobage can't seem to fix it, I may go and try to get a complete refund on all the money I spent on TFL from apple and call it a day.

Then use that money to buy transforming robots like it was intended :)

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 23, 2013

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

GD_American posted:

They're actually more into real estate now. Seriously. Check out their website.

Yeah They have rental properties in burbank... I looked at one of them when I moved there and did a double take when I saw who the leasing company was...

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

I was thinking a bit about the Transformers/Harmony Gold lawsuit, I'm willing the bet Hasbro doesn't want to waste money dipping their toe into the crazy macross rights issues :can: and will probably write them a check... then again if Hasbro decided they can make money by making more G1-Jetfire Valkyrie style toys they go ahead and fight them head on to get that issue cleared up one and for all, but I doubt it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

How long before the license expires?

Sometime in 2021, in addition to what's stated above there was a rights fight in Japan as well. The distribution company Tatsunoko sold all international rights to Harmony Gold in the early 80's. It's unconfirmed but I heard in my work in animation HG got Macross for basically $50,000 for all markets outside Japan :v:. (I'm sure Tatsunoko is getting much more money than that now)

Back then the Japanese industry didn't really care that much about foreign markets, until the 90's or so when they realised there was money to be had here if a show took off.

Big West and Studio Nue, the finance company and animation studio which produced Macross was ruled as the true owners of Macross and the only authority that can license Macross internationally. Problem is that ruling only stands in Japan as US courts have ruled its Harmony Gold that owns the rights. Tatsunoko keeps getting a check from HG to maintain the US/International deal so hey, free money.

The final twist is that Tatsunoko is owned by Takara now, which is partners with Hasbro, so if it wasn't for the long off lease terms [2021 according to the lawsuit] Hasbro could probably ask Takara to give HG the boot for Macross rights and reassign them to Hasbro.

I'm sure bandai would love that.. since they have macross deals with big west and studio nue.

So yes, it's a big :can:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

And as for Southern Cross, and Mospeada, there is zero legal issues with those properties. Those series pretty much tanked in Japan and have reversed marketed the Robotech sequel productions as official show sequels in the case of Mospeada [with some cross financing happening].

That's why all the more recent Robotech stuff in the past decade used Mospeada IP such as the Cyclone/Alpha mecha and the Invid.

Problem is Robotech is known for Rick/Max/Roy busting a cap in giant alien asses using Veritech fighters and the fighter pilot love triangle. While HG has the rights to reissue existing Macross 1984 tv-series work they are limited to that, they can't take any of the IP such as character/mecha designs and use them for any new shows.

And as for the Macross Do you Remember Love feature film , no one knows who has the rights to that since there are so many companies that claim they do.

Macross definitely showed the animation and toy industry a huge example how not to handle rights.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Trailer is up on Bays site now:
http://michaelbay.com/

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Is it customs, or just too much trying to go through too few ports? There's a kickstarter I backed that has had their shipping crates stuck in customs since september.

West coast Longshoreman may strike impacting all imports on the West Coast. Currently it's a work slowdown and it's its going to impact a lot more than transformer toys if things get worse.

I'm surprised there isn't much national news coverage on that brewing storm yet.

All the dockworkers are working without a contract and they are intentionally dragging out things, intentionally delaying shipments, you got a lot of meat and fruit and vegetables rotting on the docks, etc.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 1, 2015

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

The Goon posted:

Is it 100% certain that Hot Spot is going to be remolded into Onslaught? Was it announced somewhere?

It would seem logical.

That fire truck mold can easily be changed into a military HEMTT or PLS or maybe a HET with some retooling.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

edit: it's bad enough that I've now acknowledged that I am now working on at least one Transformers item

Oddly enough at an old gig id usually have a masterpiece Optimus and a super Valkyrie from macross.

When I got to working at Ilm on the movies I had really nothing on my desk except for a bunch of lego mini figs.
Opportunity missed I guess but one of the animators had a massive transformers collection at his cube.

I did score the crew pins and swag though.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Knormal posted:

What do you guys buy for this? I could probably use some for some of my shelves.

The container store usually stock little acrylic plastic mini shelves for kitchen pantries and cabinets, so you can stack spices and cans and have everything visible.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/3-tier-acrylic-cabinet-spice-organizer/d?productId=10016112&q=spice%20shelf

https://www.containerstore.com/s/double-acrylic-wall-shelf/d?productId=11007676&q=spice%20shelf

You'll probably have to go in person to see what's there. Some of them can be turned sideways to fit larger figures.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I'm annoyed that I live on an island without access to an IKEA. I want to get rid of my CD/DVD collection and display my plastic toys but I can't get my hands on detolf shelves where I'm at.

Are there any alternatives from big box stores that would ship within Canada?

Hmm.. if you are in Newfoundland or PEI you may want to check Craigslist or Kijiji or whatever its called to see if there's an organized group run to the Ikea one province over. I remember when I was in St. John's for a visit, there was a group that would do a Halifax run every few months, basically, a guy in a straight truck charges a surcharge for poo poo people want and he brings it over.

Stuff like Detolf is fine, but shipping it I'd be concerned, it's basically 2 thin boxes of glass which would be highly breakable. Ikea pallette loads those, like 50 in a cube so their freight to store is fine, it's just once its past that its a crap shoot.

An alternative is you roll your own, get a square shelf setup, and add plexiglass panels attached by magnets to the front. Ikea sells popular bookshelves that are square in shape called Kallax. Walmart, Target, Costco, etc has knockoffs of those bookshelves. You can probably get those close by with a drive, and then go to a big box hardware store and get acrylic sheets and score/cut to size and use glue/drills to set a few neodymium magnets [also in hardware stores] to place the panels on the shelves.

Either that or raid the local classifieds for "curio" cabinets and get some old ladies glass cabinet setup she used for showing off her dish collection.

Of course, there's an option of just rolling your own cabinets. Using channeled metal and plywood and acrylic or cut glass. Depending on the budget. You can probably go with plywood and L shaped metal for the structural bits.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

mashed_penguin posted:

I worked on these shots and don't think cost was a factor behind the swirly whirly transforms. Just think about it. Doing RND on a whole new effect then putting that into a bunch of shots. Or doing it the way its been done before in 3 previous movies by a group of artists that know how to do it that way. What do you think is going to end up being cheaper? Simulation heavy shots use more farm resources than animation heavy shots as you are double dipping on farm resources.

Happy now Arquinsiel ?

I worked on e74 as well. The guy under Hansen who did the Houdini VFX R&D and implementation for the transforminium stuff is a close friend of mine, I was off blowing up parts of Hong Kong for the whole project. In hindsight, I wish i jumped on the CRDEV bandwagon for doing the transformation shots when I had a chance but hindsight is 20/20.

It wasn't cost-cutting, MB wanted a very specific look and that was used for those transformers. It's cheaper to have CRDEV guys model/rig/animate the one-off transformation shots then it is to have an army of Houdini guys do a very complicated VFX version of the same.

It still bothers me they didn't use my latest sim version for one shot. There's one shot in the final film where they used an older version of my elements and you can see stuff flying through the environment instead of colliding with a few things but it's pretty small. :v:

Anyways, what's a good oversized prime to get with diecast metal in it?

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 16, 2019

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Captain Magic posted:

I think all the Weijiang Primes have diecast? And their MPP10 is pretty terrific.

I found a dude selling part of his collection on ebay, I picked up MPP10 and NE-01 MIB together so I should have it by Friday or Monday. They'll make a nice display piece together :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

They even filmed a Hong Kong scene for one of the movies in Detroit as well. Guy I know was in a deleted shot where he's pulled from a overturned car.

Any “location shooting” for transformers is usually dictated by what film subsides are available in a given area. Governments will spend money to bring work to an area, essentially by using refundable tax credits to allow productions to claim a refund greater than what they pay into taxes ( Sony Pictures famously did this in Vancouver getting 20-30M in a refund for one year even though they only paid 400k in Taxes). Because of that structure you can run to a bank (Entertainment Partners in Burbank is one example) who will cut you a cash advance in exchange for the credit transfer for about 10%

Do a few million spend in Michigan, audio and some shots in Georgia , a few in China to get a film slot there, get the paperwork done up a d you can get 30-45% of that kicked back in an advance to finance say the VFX.

So if they are shooting the new TF movie in Michigan then they are still buying work from LA, a lot of states bailed out on these programs because they are a rip off for the taxpayer.

I worked on a few of the films.

I know the owners of that fugly Chinese skyscraper with the video screen and the wavy topper paid bucks to have it featured in the film only to have the lobby scenes set in Chicago…

They were pissed… lol

If you are bored compare the Hong Kong right sequence between the us and Chinese versions of the film. ILM had to do a different VFX cut since the government didn’t want specific buildings destroyed / damaged as depicted in the us release…