Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
(Crossposting from old thread in case Ka0 stopped reading that one already) ka0 - thanks so much for the gift, it looks even better in person! I need to pick up a frame and get that sucker up on the wall ASAP!

Rei_ posted:

Lot of disrespect being shown towards the Japanese G1 and Unicron Trilogy in that OP, people.

No, they're both really, really bad. The only fiction worth a poo poo is G1 for camp, Beast Wars, and MTMTE.

vvv just to clarify, Legends Prime and Bee were also from Ka0, or was that from you? Either way, it's a neat figure for Legends (or scout? I don't know what he qualifies as)

catch22 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
The MTMTE and BW stuff looks great so far, high hopes for what Whirl will look like.

What's the story with US releases for all the current MPs? Will Sideswipe make it stateside?

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, what's this? I hadn't heard about this I guess.

3rd Party Ironfist renders

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Keldroc posted:

I like rubber tires from an aesthetic point of view, but I'm also okay with having a figure whose tires aren't going to disintegrate 10 years from now.

The rubber tires on my G1 Red Alert are fine. I think the rubber tire issue was specific to one series.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 5, 2013

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Keldroc posted:

My G1 Ratchet's tires are barely holding together, but he's also the color of a banana at this point, so maybe I got a bad one. Fire Convoy's tires are still good. I dunno, plastic tires just never bothered me.

Plastic tires roll like poo poo and they just have a real "cheap" quality to them. I don't mind plastic over diecast though, since a good paint job can look very similar without all the added weight or paint chipping issues.

Do you live in a dry area? Perhaps that plays a role in them cracking?

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Masterpiece Soundwave & Acid Storm aren't coming up on TRU's site anymore (sort of). If you type it in the search box it will show up in results, but you can't actually go to the page. Strange...

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

And yet another 3rd party Huffer/Pipes

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Holy poo poo Quakewave is awesome. My only concern is how much force it takes to collapse the legs. It keeps me from transforming it more often. Still a drat near perfect Masterpiece figure. A couple more MPs and I think I'll be good (yeah right)

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Any word on whether or not Soundwave will be hitting TRU.com at midnight EST, or on the 18th at all?

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Sandstorm - Amazon Prime - $23

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Thank you TRU for limiting this to one-per-customer and not letting it be a scalper free-for-all :thumbsup:

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Tailgate looks great! First thing I'd do with him would be to bin that stupid bloody targetmaster thing, mind.

In other news, Quakewave arrived today! And is awesome. And solid as hell. And has the most ridiculously tight joints I think I've ever encountered.

I also seem to have two sets of replacement arm parts instead of the originally listed opaque hand & gun barrel. Hrmm.

I ordered from aces toy store and didn't receive the solid hand and gun. When I contacted them they said they hadn't received the solid hand and gun yet but would in a few weeks at which time they would send them out. Perhaps this is the case with other retailers as well?

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Lepecard posted:

...that face.

I like the wings,legs, and the shoulder vents though.

Odd they would stick so close to the IDW design, then divert wildly once they got to the head.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I think that's the best looking one. Why were so few made?

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Bumblebee has some cheap looking plastic, and the yellow paint doesn't match the yellow plastic at all.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

No Your Other Left posted:

Please source your TFW2005 quotes.

He's not wrong

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't really hate Blitzwing and I don't have strong feelings towards him, but he suffers mostly for being designed as "a big voyager". If they gave up the stupid head, shaved him down heightwise a couple percent (or really just narrowed down the nose cone a little) and shifted that plastic into finishing his vehicle modes he'd be so much better. His colors are good and his sculpt are good though, so he looks fine from a couple angles.

He's a decent figure, especially given the constraints Hasbro was working within. It didn't help he came out alongside Springer. I'm not saying Hasbro couldn't have made better decisions in his production (less size, gimmicks) but he's not a miserable failure either. I'll take him any day over Tankor.

I'd still be interested to see what a third party could do building off of Hasbro's design.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Anyone interested in (probably incomplete) Transmetals? I have a bunch I picked up at a garage sale several years ago and I just don't have the space to hang onto them.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Aces toy store has a pre-order up for a Browning knock off.

http://acestoystore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=605&zenid=e155426ee540ffc791518c0ee474a325

At $40 ($50 for red version) it's a good price, assuming the quality is good.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Blackheart posted:

Rattrap, Nightbeat, Crosscut and Tankor. Crosscut is apparenty a Skids remold/repaint, and who knows if Tankor is the Beast machines version, but he could be anything since they use that name pretty much randomly.

I hope this is a new mold and not a BB repaint

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I finally opened my Blitzwang. Holy poo poo, how did this pass QC? Aside from the shoulder issues, the limbs were all stiff enough that I thought I was going to break them. The paint on his upper arm is already scratched (that whole paintjob looks like someone had a go with their Humbrol enamel paints) and I haven't actually done anything. The missile doesn't want to click into his tank barrel. His faces won't turn. He's just so stiff all over, and he's not fun. The whole toy is lacking in fun.

The face thing is a pretty easy fix, and though I haven't tried the shoulders fix, everyone says its easy too.

You can probably loosen the screws a hair and work the limbs back and forth to loosen them up.

Or say screw it to all that and return him and take your chances with the takara release

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Nilryna posted:

I like Defensor! I kind of want a third party to take a crack at it, but... there's that whole "I have a motorcycle for a leg, and a car for the other" deal that seems hard to get by unless ignoring scale...

Maybe if they made two motorcycles that formed Groove instead of just one?

Scale didn't seem to be an issue when Fansproject made a space shuttle the same size as a jeep.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Cybertronian combiners (including cybertronian versions of earth based teams) eliminate scale issues altogether.

Blackheart posted:

No poo poo, I've been dyin' to know more about that. It didn't even have a nametag, they just... put it out there. It looked good enough to make me wish for a whole subline of legends 3-pack combiner dudes.

God I would love that. PCC could have been so much fun.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 9, 2013

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

You don't need to act nasty just because I fund my Transformers habit entirely by buying one or two extras to sock away for selling later so that I break even on the money front while getting some neat toys to futz around with. It makes you come across as extremely bitter.

Seriously. They're hardly hard to come by, it's not like you're robbing someone of a chance of buying one at retail. I see nothing wrong with hanging onto a few extras to sell to Johnny-come-lately's who are trying to buy one after it's gone from retail.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Knormal posted:

Back to the F-22 Seekers, they're coming with a second head now. The first one was so absurdly bad and universally hated I figured they'd be pressured into changing it.
This is what totally kills it for me. If the parts of the legs the cars snap into were more skeletal so the cars were providing structural support I could probably accept it, but as it is I'm pretty sure they're just popped on the front. A combiner team shouldn't have optional members.

I'm surprised they even released it with that head, as it was universally panned as soon as photos came out. The new head is an improvement, though that's not saying much.

Mixed feelings about Menasor's legs. Visually, it doesn't look much different from other combiners who have feet that are stand-alone parts (Bruticus). Menasor just happens to have a frame behind the lower leg bot.

Then again, I think stand-alone feet don't look as good as having the lower leg bot making up the feet (Devastator, Puzzler).

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Recently finished MTMTE vol 4 and holy poo poo it was incredible. So many great lines/moments. I wish they made an animated version, if only to have voices to associate with the characters.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

A new Rodimus would rock though. Actually, is it me or is the new Skids almost too blue? Like he could use a little more detailing/paint apps?

Hasbro really has a thing for baby blue

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Blackheart posted:

They also photoshop the hell out of their promo pics (and not even in a nice way) so it might look cooler in hand.

Two can play the photoshop game!

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I really enjoy reading the trades instead of single issues, and a week definitely isn't gonna cut it.

e: are we really debating whether or not people should be annoyed by spoilers? I know everyone is so totally above it all, but spoilers are loving annoying and not knowing what's going to happen next is part of the excitement of the story.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 28, 2013

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Smart Robin or the other Brainwave? I'm torn

therealjon_ posted:

I'm glad MMC is tackling Overlord because that other one they put up on BBTS looks hideous and costs quite a bit.

It is quite big. BTS should have made a few Deluxes to rebuild their reputation before attempting such an expensive figure.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

catch22 posted:

Smart Robin or the other Brainwavestorm? I'm torn

Apparently there's 3 Brainstorms!

Toyworld:

Fansproject:

MMC:

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Phy posted:

If only the Fansproject one had a faceplate. After MTMTE he looks weird without one.

Can't find the source now but I read that is supposed to come with one

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

SXS Toys Not-Blurr

Huge shield kibble aside, I like it. Heads a wee small but it could be a weird angle.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Blackheart posted:

Apparently MP Megatron will be re-released as a final edition, so people are speculating that a new MP Megs could follow it, as it happened with MP10 announced shortly after MP1's final run.

God I hope so. I defended MP Megatron when he came out, but he's so dated at this point and prob the worst MP at the moment. I wouldn't mind a Hot Rod re-do either. Make it just Hot Rod and scale it with the newer MP cars

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Yeah I mean it's OK but it's kind of bizarre that in a world where we've had a killer fiction-accurate Straxus head for years, there still isn't a UM head that actually looks like the toon/comic.

Does Myclone UM count?

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
The newer MP Starscream is being reissued...for $200.

Can't say I blame them as the first release cost a ton on the aftermarket, but with so many MPs on the verge of release $200 is too much to justify on a slightly better version of an MP I already own. Maybe it'll eventually see another stateside release...oh wait, they still need to get through TWO MORE loving RAINMAKERS

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

The Rage posted:

My goal is to sell the Walscream I own then upgrade to the MP-11

I thought about doing that myself but I modded mine to not have the hip kibble. Don't know what kind of price they are fetching

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Nah, people obviously want Acid Storm instead. I mean, who doesn't want to spend $75 on a masterpiece figure that takes up a good deal of shelf space of some non-character who appeared in one episode for 30 seconds that nobody but the most hardcore fans have ever heard of? Let's make a ton of them and sell 'em at mass retail!

The other two Rainmakers don't even have official names, and I'm assuming Acid Storm didn't either up until his Classics release.

e: in better seeker related news, Generations will feature a new Armada Starscream

catch22 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 3, 2013

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Other posted:

There's gonna be no such thing as a mainline MP Bumblebee that doesn't turn into a VW Beetle. Anything else just isn't happening given the line's current direction.

I hope he has penny racer proportions. I don't see how a normally proportioned VW is going to turn into the G1 version of Bumblebee. The EJ Su version works much better for an actual VW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Arsenal_12 posted:

This is actually what I was wondering. I know that Takara does miracles with enginnering on the MPs, but how are they going to take a VW and make a Bumblebee that's the correct scale with the rest of the MPs? Wouldn't he have to be shorter than Sideswipe?

Just to clarify, I wasn't just referring to height (though that's definitely an issue). A G1 Bumblebee that transforms into an actual VW Beetle would look horrendous in robot mode. Art Feather transforms into an accurate (from what I can tell, but I'm no expert) VW Beetle, but they had to cut the car in half and stick the rear section on his back. That's hardly G1 accurate.