Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just learned that this thread exists yesterday and have been reading the first few pages. It's pretty :allears: to see the complaints about hunting down stuff when I live in Ireland and tend to pay twice MSRP for whatever we get that TRU doesn't horde as exclusives for the next country over.

Of course on the other hand it did result in me getting to spend over an hour talking to James Roberts and Nick Roche together at Dublin Comic Con a few weeks back so... swings and roundabouts really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Spiderdrake posted:

What's the pricing you're seeing like when expressed in US dollars? I've read that for several regions it's a lot better to just preorder off the Japanese sites for whatever reason.
Doing some quick maths, Legends are 15, Deluxe are 29, Voyagers are 38. They've fluctuated a lot with recent politics and it depends who gets what as to hoe much you pay. For a while there was one place to get Protectabot limbs and they cost 30 each, but weirdly Groove was only fourteenish at the same time :iiam:

Ordering from Kapow is sometimes okay, but Japan risks customs hammering you.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 26, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Weird find of the year, local newsagent has a buttload of Generations Powerdive in stock amongst the usual cheap toys. Even weirder because Generations was TRU only back then.

Tighclops posted:

On the other hand the fact that I never found CW Sky Lynx haunts me. I got the whole team assuming I could find him later and failed. I failed!
Kapow has him, but they're UK based. I vaguely plan to get him there myself someday.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For reasons known only to Hasbro and the gods of distribution wave 3 deluxes have been sitting around here since early January, but it's not getting much shelf space because suddenly all of the Leader Starscream and Skywarp intended for the whole world turned up in Smyths. This happens once in a while, and is why the place was full of Springer's wave last year. On the other hand, wave 3 Legends just turned up this week in the one shop that bothered to get Legends at all in the last while. Got Gnaw and Kickback. Was expecting to like Gnaw best, but Kickback is just a great little dude. Lots of posing, and no weird hollow back.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Had a few minutes to kill so went into Toys R Us in Woking and ye gods, the selection was poor. Rewinds, Wheelies, Brawns, Clobbers and some other Titan Master (something Tread?), some Bisks (?) at £23, 3 Soundwaves, some other Robots in Disguise Legends and a MP Bumblebee. Oh and some set featuring Prime and Megatron priced at £100
What are the chances you could grab me a Clobber and post it to me? I must have him for the Grimlock collection and they're fucktardedly expensive on ebay. That entire sub-line just didn't show up here at all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems like they're clearing aisles for some big summer toy push one branch at a time.

And yes, Smyths are somewhat poo poo because they're an Irish chain that expanded into the UK. They're basically the only show here except for a few old Toymasters and the occasional Tesco Extra.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

entirely dependent if I can get to said Toys R Us and they still have them in stock. The big toy stores I regularly go past are a Toys R Us in Southampton, a Smyths in Reading and I've been in each in the same week and they have all had wildly different stock on the shelves
No worries dude.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also for me the best part of Prime is lucking into a free Voyager Starscream due to the FoC Grimlock my parents got me in yankland having a wonky battery cover, bringing that to the anime con I was running games at the next weekend as a favour to a friend, realising the day before that Steve Blum was attending and doing a signing, and then, at the end of a ridiculous chain of waffle and ballsing out con staff telling me the queue was closed, getting the box signed before we nerded about G1 voice acting for so long that they kicked him out of his own signing room.

Good times.

Steve Blum, cool as gently caress robodude.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

yeah sounds like you share the opinions of most of the thread, who never warmed up to the series and liked animated better, so do that.

I personally thought it was better than animated, but I was on board from early on.
On the other hand I hated Miko at the start, but she does sort of figure poo poo out and realise that she's a squishy human around giant murderbots eventually.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

A lovely Reporter posted:

Agreed on all points. TFA was great at the start when it was setting up a fun cast and bouncing them off each other, and had a solid middle, but then it kept world-building and kept having some new revelation or change every other episode. Nothing was given room to breathe, and it all ended up seeming like an outline of a show instead of an actual full show.
The last season seemed crasy rushed, with a season's worth of story in one episode, but that season looked like it was going to be fun. I was watching it when catching up on decades of missed TF media and watching new stuff at the time, and TBH I felt it didn't compare favourably to Rescue Bots which I was watching at the same time. Just... did not work for me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rhyno posted:

Season three was pretty jammed full, they didn't know their future so they tried to wrap everything up. If you don't have it you should get the TFA Almanac, it fills in a lot of gaps and has tons of behind the scenes stuff.
It's on the list of things to buy eventually. I think the local comic place has both volumes. Looks like it's an interesting read.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Keldroc posted:

He's so friendly-looking, who wouldn't feel happy?

I may have to get that now just to have something new to open in exam weeks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're rumoured for the next line though, and we don't know what the gimmick is for that.

TBH I think at this point if Brawn is any indication then in the unlikely event of a Headmaster being repeated as a full figure then it'll be a full figure and you'll just end up having a spare head anyways.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, Bumblebee did also get a body reformat into the Goldbug toy that was out at the time too. He both was and was not Goldbug.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh yeah, so it was.

BRB, editing TFWiki so all <thing>blast characters have their own page.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I rather like birddude from that set though, and the Rupture paint scheme looks decent in teeny artifacted jpg form. I might get it if it's available singly, and actually turns up here.

Also CW Shockwave turned up from China today. Not perfect, but for the price of it I've got a Shockwave that I will never need to replace in the best size class.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I have the Target see-through plastic version, and they're deeply flawed, I wouldn't go so far as to say they suck.

TBH most fully transparent figures are suck. It almost never works to some advantage.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Keldroc posted:

Yeah the group overall and the combined mode in particular is garbage, but Cutthroat was pretty decent.

Yeah, I got the Windrazor and Strafe repaints, and they're actually pretty fun little dudes. The smirk alone makes them worth grabbing. I'm a sucker for a teeny bot though, I bought basically the entire Prime line of those guys. Had to hunt a bunch down online due to questionable distribution here too, so I ended up buying full cases and now have a teeny army of Steves.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, they all had some pretty glaring flaws. Rippersnapper in particular suffered from issues with the head in both modes that made it just a dissapointing toy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

An eleven year old girl stares into the camera. "Feminism is being exploited for this marketing campaign by 90 year old rich dudes" she grunts disinterestedly.

We hard cut from her dead eyes to a scene of the same child- too young to cross the street alone- repairing an advanced alien robot that couldn't be fixed by his actual species' leading physician.

Whip pan back to the child who looks enough like Megan Fox gave birth to her three weeks ago that Bay might as well change his first name to Roman. She addresses the viewer directly, in the most condescending PS ever filmed "Idiots will argue about the political importance of this poo poo heap film on the internet. Seeing the fifth transformers movie is important for the culture war and if you don't, you are a misogynist racist".

Cut to IP theft montage of Metal gears, tie interceptors, and the ship from Prometheus.

Dip to white to the only transformer actually doing something in the trailer, the most brutal of the autobots, being told off by Marky Mark.

It's perfect, I can't wait :allears:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, I can't remember if he reviewed Highbrow or the Powerdive version of that mould.

The MSJ posted:

I have also seen several comments complaining about Hasbro and Michael Bay supporting the feminazis after that trailer was released at the Kid's Choice Awards.

Yusssssss... let the hate flow! :flashfap:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Spiderdrake posted:

Real talk she was fantastic. If they don't blah blah time travel retcon blah blah her into the mainline x-movies I will be very sad.

But Logan is a tier above any of the TF films so it's kinda unfair.
Having just seen Logan this weekend, and though I agree it's a great movie, the X-men movie continuity is now even more of a mess than the Transformers one, but with nine movies rather than four I guess that's to be expected.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Endless Mike posted:

Days of Future Past over-wrote a bunch of the other movies. I'm pretty sure at the very least X3 and Wolverine are out of X-Men continuity now.

Only part of The Wolverine is out of continuity, because there's a fuckton of flashbacks to relevant stuff that happened in the 40's rather than the 60;s. Obviously the bit with the adamantium getting removed is out. I think there are still at least two separate "Wolverine gets adamantium" points in the current timeline too, unless Weapon X operated on a catch and release basis.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Deadpool teaser mentions him by name, but it also mentions Stan Lee by name and Logan is playing in the cinema there so... :iiam:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I had a dude on Amazon cancel an order of Transformers comics for the same reason. That was just bad luck for me though, and at least I didn't drive to the dude's house.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, way back when I had a minor problem with FoC Grimlock and since it came from America and was a TRU exclusive over here and their UK didn't have any they just sent me a Voyager Prime Starscream as a gift. I was super chuffed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blockhouse posted:

Having recently mainlined this entire book I can tell you Rodimus has always been an amazing dick

also I guess reading the first three Lost Lights back-to-back kind of worked better than reading them one at a time? Because I don't get the vitrol for the series. Maybe that just means waiting for the trade really is the right move.
I think it's partly that and partly goon approval critical mass being reached thus flipping the ratings switch from "under" to "over".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Before I realised TFwiki was a thing during the Prime era I'd just check the packs of stuff they had in the local shops to see if the robot modes were good or bad. My guess is that generally speaking the majority of people buying things are not aware of the various sources of product info months available prior to release and judge a toy the same way, especially if buying for kids. While the MP line is obviously more adult focused than that I still think it's a reasonably safe bet that internal design rules will ensure that at Takara release for the Japanese market will follow the precedent and show both modes on the box just in case some random 30-something happens to see it when buying a present for a family member or whatever and decides their nostalgias have been triggered.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlothfulCobra posted:

They also implied with Aequitas that the Autobots didn't keep their hands clean, although they never elaborated.
They totally did, in the same series even. Then Punishment and Sins of the Wreckers went further. Pova, the Roadbuster Affair, the Noizemaze, Decepti-bombs, Ostaros, everything the Dinobots did... it's assumed to always be an incomplete list in case of dramatic requirements later.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Onmi posted:

Instead, it's presented that Rodimus is a callous idiot who thinks Megatron is running away from his crimes, and Megatron is the noble hero trying to defend all life, even when it doesn't belong to his universe.
See I'm not reading it that way. I'm reading it as Rodimus remembering that he hosed up one time on earth and it took a suicide mission to regain the Matrix of Leadership for the Autobots before people would forgive him and now he's watching people react to Megatron in the same way that the thread is complaining about, with immediate acceptance. He's probably also suspicious of Megatron's motives for trying to stay in the Functionist universe because the guy seems to be trying way too hard to be above reproach. He's not even having understandable outbursts of bad temper, and that makes Rodimus wonder what with the antics of Whirl, Fortress Maximus, Tailgate, Getaway etc all being totally fine with everyone.

Rhyno posted:

Who knew LL would become the "eh" Transformers comic.
I honestly did not expect RID/Whatever/NewName to pick up the quality quite so much, but the Mairghread Scott books have been consistently good to great and I really love Sarah Stone's artwork.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Good Listener posted:

It is actually Sara Pitre-Durocher, not Sarah Stone doing the TAAO. Unless you meant in general you really love Sarah Stone's stuff in which case same. Same to the max.
Yeah, sorry, should have been clearer. The team on Windblade V1 worked so well at setting the tone and showing us Cybertron as a new visitor would that I was pretty much on board for wherever it was going to go. The Chromia thing irritated me what with Punishment coming out soon after, but that paid off in the long run.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Good Listener posted:

Yea I really wish she did more stuff with them because the first Windblade series just looks so good and she is one of the few artists where I really dig the Prime style. Also, she drew this which is still great to me.

Yup. The whole thing revolving around poo poo she learned from drunks in Blurr's just made it so :allears:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dublin Smyth's didn't have wave 4 on the shelves. Am sad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's essentially poo poo, but the spin off stuff is decent to great.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I somehow ended up getting one of the universe nexus comics cheap at a convention one time and it was... a thing. I was only getting back into Transformers at the time so I wasn't aware of how bad TF media in general got and didn't have a frame of reference.

With the benefit of perspective: "it wasn't Micromasters bad".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

drrockso20 posted:

Overall I'd say Animated has the best Human cast, only bad one was Professor Princess
All of the villians were at best not irritating. Many of them were utterly terrible.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Meltdown I regard as "not irritating".

Of course when compared to characters like Headmaster that's not exactly high praise.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm gonna be honest. How are the majority of the 'Cons less one note? I mean, Starscream had a whole gaggle of them that were one joke, all the time.

and then you get to Blitz"HA HA, MENTAL ILLNESS IS HILARIOUS"wing
There difference between the cons and the humans is that the cons weren't just the brown note played on different instruments.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's fine, you already agreed with me earlier anyway.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Good Listener posted:

I tried to watch Animated a few times and I just could never make it past the opening episodes. I'm not sure why I'm just super picky how I likes my robots. Watching Thew's reviews, some of the toys look pretty rad though.
It's basically like most TF shows in that season 1 is a bit rough, season 2 has some great episodes and season 3 is condensed but you can see where they wanted to go with it before condensing everything in the last five or six episodes because season 4 was cancelled. I found it much less of a slog to get into than Beast Wars, but it also doesn't get to be as good either.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You're talking about thread favourite Reveal The Shield Lugnut there. He is in my top five Transformers. Definitely the best Voyager class one I own. He's not unaffordable online these days. Just not cheap. At all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Sociologists should study CD to get a clear understanding of exactly how ironically liking something can lead to sincere fanatical support of something. On the other hand, that would mean reading CD.
I know of an anthropology goon who is doing literally that with regards to 4chan and the alt-right.

That Supermechagodzilla thing was pretty hillarious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Shredder one is kind of spectacular actually. The more I look at it the more I like it.