Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, blue definitely wins the 'who gets the best promos?' game. Counterspell, mind control, force of will, temporal mastery, cryptic command, snapcaster.

Looking at zombie promos, the warchief definitely goes in. The other three of interest are the second grave titan, the second reanimate, and the graveborn muse. Graveborn Muse's draw is strong, and it is a good reason to run some of the life draining spells. The other black stuff is either too expensive, or doesn't fit the deck. What I really would have liked to see are more gravecrawlers and messengers. Maybe a better two drop too.

The angel deck gets a pretty good deal. Another Baneslayer, path to exile, honor of the pure, geist-honored monk.

The Jund deck gets sneak attack out of nowhere. Now there is a good oldie. Any good ways to exploit it? I wouldn't say no to that broodmother or maelstrom pulse either.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.
By the way I am pretty confused about what is promos and what is deck keys.
Do I get the promo cards by buying deck keys or just pre-ordering? :S

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

DancingPenguin posted:

You get the actual physical promo cards for just buying the game.

The in game promo cards will probably be unlocked by codes that are distributed at real life events and what not. At least that's how it was last time.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

DancingPenguin posted:

Neither. Deck keys just unlock the base 30 cards per deck in the game. Promos are gotten by putting in codes which are given away at events; for instance, ComicCon's Magic panel will almost certainly hand out little cards which say "Put this code in your game for promo cards! FSXJSH" or something. Basically, each code unlocks one card for each deck. The codes aren't unique, meaning each copy of the game uses the same codes to unlock the same cards. If it's anything like last time, someone will either brute-force most of the codes or just poke around inside the game's data to find them, then dump them all at once.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

DancingPenguin posted:

There are promo cards that get unlocked in game with codes and can then be added to the decks, and then there are promo real life mtg cards that you can get by redeeming a one-time code that came with the game at a physical store. In the last version of DotP the digital promos were unlocked using codes you were supposed to get from real world stores for playing friday night magic, but they were just found in the games code and uploaded to the internet for everyone to plug in. Every digital promo code you put in unlocked one card for every deck, so last year we had to put in 10 codes IIRC to have all the digital promo cards unlocked.

e: I knew it would happen

edit again: I would actually be pretty pissed if the digital promo codes weren't easy to find, because they give a serious advantage

OBi fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 24, 2013

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.
Thanks people.
Figured this was about how it worked, and I just recall actually using the codes from last years thread.
Silly me :blush:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, note that this time you don't just get a single physical card for buying the game, you get a 6 card Booster pack that's guaranteed to have one of three cards (listed in the OP).

It might literally be worth it to buy the game on Android/iOS/Steam just to get Scavenging Ooze, even if you plan on playing on console. It's a highly sought after card.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Since I preordered this on Steam, is it going to just automatically start downloading when the game becomes available or do I have to keep checking back to do it manually?

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Game is up on US IOS App Store.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I went to check if Steam said anything about the download and saw that it's scheduled to release on the 26th on there.

I had plans for getting drunk and playing this tomorrow since it's my weekend. :( I guess I'll be a nerd and just buy it for the PS3 as well.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

:sigh: No crazy multiplayer mode? Why would they do this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tonfa posted:

No crazy multiplayer mode? Why would they do this.

Playing against 100 card Sealed decks will be pretty crazy. :haw:

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
Is Blind Phantasm going to keep its crazy Future Sight cardface?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

creamcorn posted:

Is Blind Phantasm going to keep its crazy Future Sight cardface?

It didn't in 2012, so I highly doubt it.

Also, the game is now out on the PSN Store. :toot: :woop: :dance:

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

precision posted:

It didn't in 2012, so I highly doubt it.

Also, the game is now out on the PSN Store. :toot: :woop: :dance:

In the US... not EU yet. :sigh:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

With the promise of some form of deck building, I might get it on steam. Skipped DotP13 mostly because of this.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 25, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sealed mode is crazy fun.

Also, it seems that every person's profile on one's PS3 gets two Sealed slots. Pretty convenient if you have a bunch of roommates, as it means they won't have to buy any slots to get new booster pools!

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

precision posted:

Also, it seems that every person's profile on one's PS3 gets two Sealed slots. Pretty convenient if you have a bunch of roommates, as it means they won't have to buy any slots to get new booster pools!

This is pretty insane. Fake profile, here we go!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think White and Black will be essential for Sealed mode; White gets the insanely good Condemn and Black gets both Assassinate and Murder.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
Yeah there's an insane amount of removal in the Sealed pool. I opened a Time Warp, a couple Mind Springs and an Archangel of Thune and decided to make a Blue/White control monstrosity with just dumb amounts of card draw, but its hard not to want to go into black since I've got such a crazy amount of removal. I ran U/B with only 10 creatures before I opened the Archangel and it worked pretty well regardless (though also the AI is horrible). This isn't actual M14 pools, it's created for the game, right? It seems like a hell of a lot for a limited format.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Sealed mode is crazy fun.

This is awesome! Thanks for posting this. I didn't get a chance to grab this last night but I'm definitely getting it ASAP tomorrow.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Seedge posted:

In the US... not EU yet. :sigh:

It's finally out on the EU android store. And full of 1-star reviews from people installing it onto their phones and complaining about crashes despite the warning it's for tablets. :downsgun:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bit of a warning: PSN version of this has a 600mb patch after the initial 1gb download, so don't expect to play right away.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
2013 I only played 3 hours of.

I don't know if I should be tempted or turned off my Sealed mode even though I like drafting IRL. Haven't done it in a while. Also sucks I can't free up the slot. Does each slot mean I keep the set of cards from those boosters and I can switch that pool around with my deck?

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
Kind of disappointed the limited pool is only 151 cards large. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling there's not going to be a huge amount of variety going on, but hopefully we'll some additional cards added on in the future.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Mike Cartwright posted:

Kind of disappointed the limited pool is only 151 cards large. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling there's not going to be a huge amount of variety going on, but hopefully we'll some additional cards added on in the future.

Yeah. :(

Also, the microtransaction sting hurts more when you crack your packs and get bullshit. Two Diabolic Revelations and a Door to Nothingness.

Other observations about the new game: The CGI movies look like poo poo and the sealed campaign can be kind of hard.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I normally hate mono white, but Avacyn's glory is pretty fun so far (full disclosure: I am bad at this game).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Emron posted:

I normally hate mono white, but Avacyn's glory is pretty fun so far (full disclosure: I am bad at this game).

No, it really is a beast. I just played against Butchy of WMG, he was running Illusions. Even though he wasn't land screwed he ragequit 3 turns in after I dropped Thalia and Path to Exiled his Lord of Unreal. Doubt it'll show up on the channel, heh.

As for the sealed slots, multiple sources confirm if you delete save data and crack boosters again you get the exact same cards. WOTC rep said the seed for your boosters is based on your gamer tag.

On PS3, every account on your system gets two free sealed slots. :ssh:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Ah hell I dunno why I'm trying to convince myself not to buy this. This year they have Slivers!

(Even if they only buff your own slivers and they look fuckin weird and poo poo). Yeah. I'm one of those assholes with a sliver deck.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Is the mode online-only? On 360 it's pretty easy to transfer "ownership" of a save file between accounts, so I don't see why you couldn't keep playing the
sealed mode on freshly-made dummy accounts (without an XBL gold sub, obviously) & then wait til you get some decent boosters and then transfer it to your "main" account you plan on playing the rest of the game on.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

For you guys who preordered it on steam, does it not show up for you guys in the games list yet? This is the first time for me a game isn't showing up and I'm wondering if something has gone wrong.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Davincie posted:

For you guys who preordered it on steam, does it not show up for you guys in the games list yet? This is the first time for me a game isn't showing up and I'm wondering if something has gone wrong.

Not out till tomorrow for Steam users.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Davincie posted:

It's not showing up for me either, I was wondering about that too.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Davincie posted:

Same here, no need to worry.
The store page confirms that you own it.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Davincie posted:

I don't see it in mine either. Which is really frustrating.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Davincie posted:

It's not showing up for me either, though when I go to the store page it says I've purchased the game.

I hope it's relatively easy to get a new sealed pool just by deleting a save or something. I don't mind them selling deck unlocks or foil versions or whatever because you can get the decks on your own just by playing (and the feeling of wanting to win one more game to slot in that sweet new card is something that keeps me playing anyways, so I don't buy them) and foils are just cosmetic, but asking people to spend more money on sealed deck slots really feels like cheap nickel and diming to me.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

It's forcing me to think about actual deck structure and card selection, which is really strongly pointing out to me how little I know about what's good and what's not. I've been sticking to two colors and dropping anything over five mana if I can. That's the entirety of my strategy.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I don't understand how this sealed mode works, and I've done plenty of limited play (more draft than sealed, but close enough). Normally in sealed, you buy in with some number of boosters, build a 40 card deck, and play your tournament. If you want to play another tournament, you need more boosters. Is that how sealed works here, or is it something else? I don't understand this 'slot' stuff.

Emron posted:

It's forcing me to think about actual deck structure and card selection, which is really strongly pointing out to me how little I know about what's good and what's not. I've been sticking to two colors and dropping anything over five mana if I can. That's the entirety of my strategy.
Look up the cards on gatherer, look at the ratings, and see what people have to say about them in the comments. They'll often point out good synergies. That said, gatherer ratings aren't everything, especially when it comes to limited. A lot of limited meat and potatoes will have middling ratings, as some or other mythic might outclass it.

I am on PC, and don't have 2014 yet, but if the deck builder is anything like the builder in previous DotPs, you might want to put your deck together in some sort of outside application so you get more information about it. Breakdown by CMC, creature, spell, color, and so on. You usually want to have a curve, with more low mana stuff than high mana stuff. You almost always rely pretty heavily on CMC when putting together limited decks, especially the 2 CMC mark.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 26, 2013

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I don't understand how this sealed mode works, and I've done plenty of limited play (more draft than sealed, but close enough). Normally in sealed, you buy in with some number of boosters, build a 40 card deck, and play your tournament. If you want to play another tournament, you need more boosters. Is that how sealed works here, or is it something else? I don't understand this 'slot' stuff.

You open your pool of 6 boosters, then play a campaign against the AI and unlock I think 2 more boosters along the way. You can only do this twice in DotP unless you spend more money to unlock new deck slots/booster pools.

Because you are playing the AI with wholly digital cards, running the sealed campaign as much as you want costs WotC literally nothing. But they still want money to let you do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So is your sealed pool emptied when the campaign is over? What happens to it? Is there any sort of multiplayer sealed, or is it just campaign?

• Locked thread