Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey the white aura deck looks a bit like 2013's White/Blue aura deck (the white part) mixed with Ajani's life deck. Looks fun. Excited to get back into Duels! I pretty much only play Magic right around Duels release, and then a bit more when cool looking DLC is released.

"Return each Aura card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Only creatures can be enchanted this way." Yessss

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Playing this on the iPad. Liking the new Ajani deck so far, played a tiny bit online and Slivers seem to be a bit ridiculous after the ramp up. Definitely want to unlock the Sliver deck next. The way the guy was playing it reminded me of the 5 color deck in 2013, drop a bunch of land ramp-up then get to the point where you can take off 60 life in a turn. Probably a good deal weaker to mass creature removal stuff obviously.

Sealed isn't as bad as people thought it would be initially. Like people have mentioned there is literally a button to reset your 2 free packs so you can get new ones for free at any time if you don't like them. From what I understand you buy slots, not boosters, and each slot only has a certain amount of cards so you can't buy boosters over and over for your main slot until you have 4 of every card. I managed to cobble together a white/black deck that is doing alright. The main thing I like about it is they all seem to be older cards, like I actually had a bunch of the cards in my decks in middle school! As someone who quit playing RL magic years and years ago it was really cool to pop open a booster and get a Shivan Dragon. On top of that it's a limited pool of cards anyway so it's not like you need to reset until you get 1 card out of 2000.

They changed the controls a bit on iPad, it's kind of hard to scroll through your whole deck and pick things with say Demonic Tutor.

Still playing through the campaign to unlock stuff, alternating between that and fooling with Sealed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So every time you beat a chapter you can unlock a Planeswalker to fight and get their deck... what happens if you fight Green or Red? Those are the starter decks so you already have them, or do you unlock something else?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are there any decks as over-the-top as Ajani was in 2013? I swear that loving cat could just poo poo life, which in turn gave him all these 6/6's with flying. Usually with lifegain through equip cards, too. Which just meant that Ajani's Pridemate was like at like +fuckyou/+eatshit. He'd get all these huge cards while having 50 life unless you found a way to stomp him early.

Ajani is in 2014 :v: Toned WAY down though, it's much more about Auras than about lifegain. If you played the Blue/White Aura deck in 2013 it's very similar to the white portion of that deck.

0 Pridemates too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh god please tell me someone else beat the campaign. The ending music holy poo poo. Hahahahahahaha

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Little Mac posted:

So again, no cross-platform between Steam and IOS/Android? I say this because my friend doesn't even own a computer but would be super-excited to play on his Android device, meanwhile I can only play this on Xbox or Steam.

I don't think so :( can't even find two headed giant mode so I think the versions are actually slightly different (2013 had no 2HG for iOS either)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Not just the ending music, christ, all of the video portions. You'd think with the amount of money they're rolling in they could manage something less embarrassing in either content or technical quality.

Just remember, they were hyping up the ending music on their website just a few days ago.

Hahaha oh man now I feel really bad

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Again, if you think the cutscenes are bad you haven't heard the ending credits yet

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Miracle posted:

Christ on a crouton, how do you guys do it so fast? I keep getting hung up on the stupid loving encounters. JUST LET ME UNLOCK DECKS DAMMIT

The game had different release dates for different platforms. Also the campaign is quite short.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stagger_Lee posted:

I finished the campaign and sealed campaign and all the revenge matches today, but there are still a few decks (Jace's, Lilliana's) that I haven't unlocked the ability to play with. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but it's a little bit odd.

When you beat a chapter you can unlock a bonus planeswalker to fight by going back into the chapter. This is how you get Ajani, Jace and Liliana's decks. You could have had them from the end of chapter 1 :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

retro sexual posted:

The encounters in this are far more fun than 2013's ones (eg play a 1/1 flyer every turn forever!)

Yeah a bunch of them are puzzles on their own which is why I don't mind the challenges being dialed down. Like one guy has a card where if you play 4 you win the game, and he has cards that clone that card. You have to figure out how to stop him getting there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My sealed deck also has a bunch of Murder/Assassinates :v:

Funkz posted:

Nope, you have you unlock the additional slots by buying them! :haw:

Are you sure? On iOS there's an option somewhere in the menu to reset your 2 slots. On the consoles people were saying if you made a new profile you'd have 2 more slots as well. Buying slots is just if you want like, 5 sealed decks at once for some reason.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Davincie posted:

What's with the 'Do you wish to unlock this planeswalker' question before dueling these guys in the Planeswalkers Duels mode, I'm not paying for anything here without knowing right?

Also jesus christ the ending song is awful.

You get 1 unlock per chapter beaten, that's what they meant. A lot of people seem to be realizing after the campaign is over though, at that point you can unlock all of them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I'm an idiot. The "reset sealed" button I saw was to reset the sealed tips, not the decks you got :/

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I tried the eldrazi deck with 0 unlocks. Pulling off an All is Dust with a He Who Betrays was super satisfying and I don't think I'll ever pull that off again

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

precision posted:

Yeah it is. They look like something Wizards would have put out in the late 90s. Just so loving terrible.

Also I don't really want to know the story reason they're White/Red/Green now. I thought Slivers were evil. Also now there are Artifact Slivers because I guess they're machines too? What is happening?!

Weren't slivers every color? They just left out the blue black ones I guess.

Also a bit of the slivers look a bit zergling-ish

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Laterbase posted:

I hate the jace and dimir decks. The only way I could beat revenge jace was by picking Chandra and just keeping the board clear until he ran out of steam. I think jace will be the new goblins. Dimir is just a dick.

Huh I thought White Humans was the new goblins. It sucks it'll be turn 4 and he has loads of pumped up guys already.

I'm alternating between Jace and Ajani. Ajani is cool but the aura stuff is so vulnerable. Losing a creature with 2 auras is a huge blow.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey a store near me did a Draft thing for MTG the other day. I think I might actually go to the next one thanks to Duels, which was sort of the point :v:

Edit: This is more impressive because I've lived here for about 20 years and the store opened like, 3 months ago. Magic and Warhammer and stuff is not big here.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 30, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Howdges posted:

Anyone have a problem with card art not showing up? All the cards have a see through box, and the only solution I've found is to reinstall your graphics drivers which did nothing. I tried turning shadows on and off and that did nothing. I'll probably have to wait for them to release an update, if it ever happens. I'm sure it has something to do with my integrated graphics card, even though it ran 2012 just fine.

I ran 2013 fine on the iPad2 and 2014 freezes, lags when doing card animations, and sometimes locks up entirely. I think they did something to make it run worse.

Also I love how this thread is pretty much 100% complaints. I actually like the game :shobon: but it's more because I like Magic cards I don't have to pay for

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok the Jace deck counters Mul Daya in hundreds of ways. Copying their Oracle so you can play 2 lands a turn, countering their massive mana cost stuff with Draining Whelk, Unsummoning the big stuff after you copy it for yourself and then countering them when they try to re-cast. All is Dust can be annoying but you can stop that as well.

I see everyone running it with nothing above 4 mana cost though, I think I put in 1 of the bigger cards just in case, as well as Draining Whelk. If you haven't used up all your cloning spells and you land the one that lets you exile the top 5 cards of their graveyard and cast them you can clone it to re-activate the ability.

kater posted:

PC version doesn't automatically break when you try multiplayer, the game is at least 500% better than 2013 regardless of how much worse it might be.

iPad multiplayer has always been "ok" for me but yeah I never got this version intending to get seriously into it.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 30, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Laterbase posted:

I've put hundreds of hours into these games and I don't think the shuffler is too bad. I think it's just confirmation bias when it does some bullshit and makes you lose a game. Also for people complaining about sealed you're all just jealous of my grave Titan. On a more serious note I think sealed is skewed towards white and black. They have all the best cards.

I had a WG and WB deck. After unlocking all the boosters they're both white black :/

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just beat a multiplayer sealed guy twice by using the first BW deck with jinxed idol and a lot of cheap sacrificial creatures+Rise from your grave, then the second BW deck with a LOT of murders (4 I think?) and the angel enchant that comes back when you die+sengir vampires and a nighthawk.

Both had a bunch of grave keepers too. I bet to that guy it just looked like I had 1 incredibly amazing deck. Constantly resurrecting your rats to make the enemy discard a card and take back jinxed idol is a good time. I like this mode! Oh I have some white cards on there too I guess

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kanfy posted:

I just realized that I'm the only person I've seen play Ajani's aura deck to date, I've literally never faced it. Pretty odd, considering it's one my more successful decks and I'm not even halfway through the unlocks yet.

I've been unlocking all the cards in it but I play that one and Jace. Kor Spiritdancer is such an awesome card, lets you draw cards for buffing guys but also benefits a lot from being buffed.

A lot of the cards in the deck seem like dead weight but that makes it easier to cut down to 60 I guess.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Has anyone been looking at the eventual promo unlocks for the decks they've been playing?

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29981069/Promotional_Unlock_Cards_List_for_Magic_2014

Honestly I don't know the decks well enough to know what's another copy of a strong card and what's completely a new spell to that deck.

Ajani gets a 1W card that gives all of your enchantments and enchanted creatures Shroud (not hexproof). While it looks pretty cool once you get some enchantments going, does Shroud on all of your guys mean you can't further enchant them? Like stuff like Daybreak Coronet can't be used? I guess if you get enough creatures out that would be pretty strong though.

Jace gets this card
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=227297

I don't see what the point is? You can basically play mana to mill yourself? I'm sure there's some weird combo I'm missing. He also gets another Counterspell, another Chronozoa, and Mind Control which could be fun for Unsummon shenanigans.

The AI uses a lot of these unlocks against you in the Revenge campaign already.

Liliana's deck looks like it has some nice unlocks but to be honest I have no idea what her deck is right now.

Looking through that list reminds me that I don't actually like that many decks in 2014 :/

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

precision posted:

Masks of the Dimir is a perfectly fine deck. I'm having a ton of success with it in this format, even against Avacyn's Glory and Mind Maze. Having nothing but a Moroii or two to swing with is fine when your opponent can't do anything, besides the fact that creatures with flying are at a premium in the meta right now.

A lot of people are saying Aurapants is bad and I don't know why. The fear of "Auras suck because card advantage" doesn't mean a lot when you consider how little actual removal is in these decks in the first place. Besides that - look at the deck list. Count how many Tutor and Draw cards it has. Yeah. "A fuckton" is right. Now add that it has fantastic Auras and creatures with Lifelink and Double Strike. Armored Ascension + Daybreak Coronet on your flying double striker is a minimum of 14 damage and 14 lifegain in a single turn if they're tapped out or their hand is empty.

Enter the Dracomancer is the only deck I'm struggling to win with online. At least it has Maelstrom Pulse...

Best play of the day: Mind Maze mirror match. They drop Royale Elemental, a land and take one of my Lords. Next turn, I drop Phantasmal Image, copy Elemental, drop an Island and take their Elemental, getting me my Lord back. So much hijinks with Phantasmal Image.

Those double strike fliers are so dumb. Throw an armored Ascension on one and you have a 5/5 (at least) creature with Double Strike and Flying.

Plus the Angelic Destiny Enchantment (promo unlock is another one) comes back into your hand if anything happens to the creature it's on, and a lot of cards help you take enchantments back out from the graveyard otherwise.

It does need a bit of luck though. You need to have a nice balance of creatures and enchantments and land drawn or your deck is useless.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dirty Karma posted:

^ Not "anything happens to it.". You get it back if one very specific thing happens to the creature. Unsummon, exile and Comdem still wreck shop.

Good point. The deck has easy ways of getting Auras back from graveyards too though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

From what I've seen AG is the most popular deck online, and it has an obnoxious amount of exile. Mind Maze is also top tier and popular and can gently caress it up. Not a very good environment for Guardians of Light.

Guardians in the promo gets a card that gives any enchanted creature Shroud, that should be really useful against those decks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

melon man posted:

I've had a lot of fun running encounters for people online. Anybody have any particularly entertaining deck ideas (awful deck names are preferred)? Cards have to be ones you'd normally open in sealed, otherwise no limits.

Here's some pictures.

Oh my god this is amazing and you are amazing

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DrManiac posted:

Why does everyone in sealed run white/black decks? Seriously, every single person I ever played in sealed has a white/black deck.

After fully unlocking both of my pools the best colors for both were white/black. One is way heavier on the Black end of things though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also why do they look like the Predator

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The place that opened up recently is having another booster draft on Friday. I think I might go!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mo0 posted:

Is the online play for casual magic players better on, say, PS3 over XBox? Since I'm planning on swapping over from Microsoft to PS for next-gen, I'm starting to consider getting trophies instead of achievements, but I want to know if that'd trap me in a dead online area.

And yes, I realize this is a really stupid and dumb question, but I'm asking it anyway. :(

Past years seemed to have the most se rious players on Steam.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Revenge is a fully unlocked deck, including the promo cards that haven't been released to the public yet, plus the deck is almost certainly arranged, not shuffled. It's basically a test of "Can you beat the luckiest possible instance of this deck", it's sort of what the decks can be at their hypothetical best. Like every time I play against Revenge Eldrazi they get some major drops down wayyy too quickly for how cumbersome the deck usually is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dirty Karma posted:

Finally got my wish and lucked out in a sealed pool enough to be able to build a fun(and really good) Izzit pile.

Jinxed Idol plus Act of Treason is like the funniest thing ever. It's the new Dominus/Wand combo. Everyone quits so fast.

Oh man that's a good idea. I need to check if I can make my Black Jinxed Idol deck BR.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cyborgmatt posted:

You can make a deck with any combination of sealed card IDs. Allowing you to build "perfect" decks and pretty much ruining the point of sealed play (which is why it was limited like this in the first place).

Theoretically only on the Steam version though right?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

Right now, for people who aren't willing to do it themselves, yeah. That's the only thing tools exist for.

I haven't looked too closely into it but it very well may be possible on the 360 as well, if it's as simple as I think it is. You might be able to simply hex edit the save file or the .gpd to mess around with your sealed deck. The Android version is also probably open for attack.

Actually now that you mention it people were saying it was possible to edit decks on iOS last year. Hm.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is there still the achievement in 2014 for winning by knocking your opponent's health beneath like, -20? I like to think the AI was blocking your achievement progress to be an rear end.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Anything that isn't fast creature rushdown like the only good decks in 2014 :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Freeze_Dried_Chives posted:

I've been trying so hard to like 2014, as both 2012 and 2013 are two of my most played games ever. But ugh, it's just no fun. Almost all of my matches are over in the first few turns.

Its more of a "Who got the best opening hand?" game than anything else.

If anything I've gotten into magic proper because of that though. I actually play I'm drafts and stuff occasionally and I'm thinking of maybe getting MTGO.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's a good time to jump into paper magic probably. Or MTGO if that's the only option. There are lots of ways for players to jump in without needing a $600 deck or anything, some formats just have everyone buy some boosters and build a deck on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

habanero walrus posted:

So that means you can do it 1 2/3 times or you can play DotP indefinitely. Yep, super cheap.

You keep the cards you know, it's not like you have to return them at the end of every game. I played a bunch of drafts for the first time, and with the cards I collected I can sort of start building a deck to play around with (it's not very good but I'm also not very good so no problem). Also as mentioned you can buy starter decks for really cheap and then fiddle with them.

I'm just not finding DOTP 2014 is keeping my interest at all, and I really liked 2013. I know Wizards always said they intended DOTP as a re-introduction to get lapsed players into proper Magic again though so maybe they did it on purpose :tinfoil:

• Locked thread