Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Lolly Poopdeck posted:

So did they actually hook up last season? I couldn't make it past the first 3 or 4 episodes.

I don't really know how this show could be saved at this point. I always thought it would be better if it took itself more seriously. This show lacks any real suspense and tension you would find in Breaking Bad or The Shield.

They didn't hook up, but Deb spilled the beans about her attraction to Dexter, Dexter (rightly) ran the gently caress away, and Ghost Dad chastised Dexter for running and told him how obvious it was that Deb wanted him or something, it was pretty bad.

When this show focuses on Dexter's hosed up state of mind, his killing process, how he maintains relationships with other people as a psychopath and a quirky sense of humor the show is at it's strongest (imo). This is why Seasons 1, 2 and 4 were so strong, whereas the other seasons have generally focused heavily on stupid superfluous poo poo like:

-Characters that aren't Dexter
-Attractive psychotic woman that is the only one who can truly 'get' Dexter
-Portraying Dexter as noble or courageous instead of a highly intelligent predator constrained by a moral code

If the writers want to save the show, they need to largely cut everyone else at Miami Homicide out of the picture and reduce those characters to acting as foils for Dexter, stop with the ridiculous female love interests or go back to someone like Rita where we can see how Dexter struggles with maintaining a relationship as a psychopath and focus on introducing victims for Dexter that are nearly as intelligent and methodical as he is, to introduce a sense of drama and tension that the show has lacked for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
This season is going to be so bad...in the best way possible.

Can't wait for the twist where it's been Chicky Hines all along. :unsmigghh:

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Twee as gently caress posted:

Missing lots of classics that should be added to the OP:

This is just the loving best.

I don't know why, but I've stuck with this show through its entire run, hoping that it could recapture the greatness that was season 4. At this point, I have no real hope. The only reason why I'm going to watch season 8 is for hatewatching purposes, and seeing the awesome gifs in this thread. Also: Chicky Hines. It could happen, and it wouldn't surprise me.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Look, I just want to see a man as executive producer and director of a television program have an episode in which he acts in and directs a scene where he has savage, brutal sex with his television-sister who just happens to be his real-life ex-wife so I can write fanfic about the Behind the Scenes of that moment in my head.

If I had to wait 8 years for that scenario to come to fruition I think it was time well spent, ok?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Personally I'm still holding out in vain for Robo-Doakes.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Exploder posted:

This is just the loving best.

I don't know why, but I've stuck with this show through its entire run, hoping that it could recapture the greatness that was season 4. At this point, I have no real hope. The only reason why I'm going to watch season 8 is for hatewatching purposes, and seeing the awesome gifs in this thread. Also: Chicky Hines. It could happen, and it wouldn't surprise me.

This is exactly how I feel.

Lithgow's :yosbutt: will always flash in my mind when someone mentions Season 4 though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Junkfist posted:

Look, I just want to see a man as executive producer and director of a television program have an episode in which he acts in and directs a scene where he has savage, brutal sex with his television-sister who just happens to be his real-life ex-wife so I can write fanfic about the Behind the Scenes of that moment in my head.

If I had to wait 8 years for that scenario to come to fruition I think it was time well spent, ok?

"And then Lumen walks in"

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Most of those gifs are too drat good. I just hope that they jump the shark even further.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
I bet Chikey Hines Kills Dexter with a White SUV

Last season, wonder what the writers will make up.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Chicky Hines shows himself, only two words would fit that moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irx74tCQ68Q

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Great title. I really hope they make some shoe-horned basketball reference. (The Heat won the title last year, too, so it could happen.)

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

whatsabattle posted:

Chicky Hines shows himself, only two words would fit that moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irx74tCQ68Q

I've said this so many times that it's lost all meaning and credibility but that was the greatest thing ever until I say that again about something else.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I want to not watch this season at all, but if I skip it, I'll still say Dexter has turned into one of the worst shows on tv, and someone who's a fan will disagree, and my argument will be 'blown to pieces' because I skipped the last season, and obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about. So then I'll end up watching it anyway, and then, months later, will see that person at a party and struggle all night to casually bring up how much I hate Dexter. That person, who I've rarely spoken to since the last time we brought up Dexter, will think that I'm the weirdest person alive to wait all of this time just to start talking about the show again. I'll be plagued with self-doubt, realizing what I've wasted all of this time and effort doing, and probably end up going on a life-changing journey to India where I will possible eat, pray, and/or love, but not in any specific order.

Or I could just watch it as it airs, and come back with 'No, it loving sucked.'

EDIT: Jesus christ, I just realized my avatar is 1/3 based in Dexter. It's really astounding; because of how bad it's gotten, I think I've talked the most about this show, even over other shows I actually like and respect (Breaking Bad, The Shield, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Deadwood, Oz, Six Feet Under).

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 25, 2013

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I want to not watch this season at all, but if I skip it, I'll still say Dexter has turned into one of the worst shows on tv, and someone who's a fan will disagree, and my argument will be 'blown to pieces' because I skipped the last season, and obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about. So then I'll end up watching it anyway, and then, months later, will see that person at a party and struggle all night to casually bring up how much I hate Dexter. That person, who I've rarely spoken to since the last time we brought up Dexter, will think that I'm the weirdest person alive to wait all of this time just to start talking about the show again. I'll be plagued with self-doubt, realizing what I've wasted all of this time and effort doing, and probably end up going on a life-changing journey to India where I will possible eat, pray, and/or love, but not in any specific order.

:golfclap:

I have so many friends that say that Dexter is "omigod the BEST show ever! Like, SO good!" and I feel like arguing with them and bringing up points about the lovely writing, half-assed acting, etc...but honestly, I did that a few times and I just felt like a prick. So I'll continue to nod along with my friends in public and then come to this thread and post my true feelings.

And Jesus, I have a Dexter avatar too. And it's not even from back when this show was good. I just hate myself. I do.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hahahaha

This is the best reason to watch S8 I've heard yet

Dekenai
Mar 11, 2009

hellbastard posted:

I've said this so many times that it's lost all meaning and credibility but that was the greatest thing ever until I say that again about something else.

No, no, this time you're right. That was brilliant.

GoT and Hannibal are over, Breaking Bad isn't back until August... I only have Dexter and True Blood in the meantime. My IQ is gonna drop by 30 points during July. But I am a sentimental fool, and will continue to watch rubbish TV because MCH and shirtless Alcide.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Dekenai posted:

No, no, this time you're right. That was brilliant.

GoT and Hannibal are over, Breaking Bad isn't back until August... I only have Dexter and True Blood in the meantime. My IQ is gonna drop by 30 points during July. But I am a sentimental fool, and will continue to watch rubbish TV because MCH and shirtless Alcide.

Does Hannibal take a while to get good? I'm 2 eps in, not feeling it, and if I didn't see people mentioning it constantly I probably would have stopped after ep1.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Sheizerbrick posted:

Does Hannibal take a while to get good? I'm 2 eps in, not feeling it, and if I didn't see people mentioning it constantly I probably would have stopped after ep1.

If you're not into it a few episodes in you're just not into it. First few episodes are pretty representative of the tone of the show.

Unlike Dexter, which is all ~WILDCARDS~

Just don't expect anything mindblowingly good anymore

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Sheizerbrick posted:

Give it some more time. It gradually gets better and better, and you've yet to see Eddie Izzard or Gillian Anderson. Right now, for you, it might seem just like a "serial killer of the week" show but that's not the case.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Oh my god if you're watching Hannibal don't stop. If you aren't, start and don't stop.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Junkfist posted:

:rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk6VBnlCH3w :rock:

^^Basically what Dexter Morgan as an unlockable character in Dynasty Warriors 9 would sound like.

"I snapped"

Seriously though S7 was lightyears better than S6, especially the first 5 eps.

Although then it all went slipping on Hannah-Banana peels.

If season 7 were 7 episodes it would have been good.

The gifs and pictures really make me see what the show turned into. Remember when this show was considered dark and dramatic with hints of comedy?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Dexter, final Season 8: Where in the World is Chicky Hines Chicky Hines Chicky Hines
Psychopaths are not a mistake of nature. They're a gift. They're alpha wolves who help the human race survive long enough to become civilized. - Dr. Vogel.
Goin back through the old thread, found some more treasure;

Better face than Chicky Hines:

The Dr Vogel clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-a4dY0KmMg. Spoilers ahoy. And you also get to see a nice caved-in skull near the middle, so added small :nws:?. She says she's fresh blood for the cast, and said Dexter would love that reference. I think I'm gonna like her. A quote from Rampling (Vogel's actress) "Fans... they're going to feel very bereaved, I think, at the end."

The behind-the-scenes S8 clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9n95i8iEfA Harrison is a young kid now, basically.

The most amazing trailers.
[Dexter] Behind a Mask https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXw0LWcp22Y
[Deb] Killer or Innocent Victim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osmOCyy3Aak
See what I mean?...

The biting of the pill bottle is a good touch. She has great range, just like Hall.

:siren: It won't feel like a What The gently caress :siren: http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/06/05/ew-cover-dexter/
Unlike on some shows where writers decide an ending when working on the final season, Dexter’s fate arc has been planned for years, and producers are unusually confident their show will have an ending will satisfy fans. “It feels like the exact ending we should be doing,” says showrunner Scott Buck. “Ideally it will make our audience sit back and see Dexter a little more clearly than before. It should absolutely make sense to everybody watching it.”
Or as executive producer Sara Colleton bluntly puts it: “It won’t feel like a ‘What the gently caress?’.. We know we have the right ending, we just have to execute it correctly. There’s no emotional investments that aren’t going to be resolved.”

So um.... jeez. I always wondered where the Code came from, and how it was built. We finally get to loving see. And Deb quit her job? She's a private dick? This is going to be great. I really want that Deb spinoff. June 30th, people! Five days. :yosbutt:

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 26, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just want to see Deb strung out on coke more than anything, personally.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gone, but not forgotten. :patriot:

VVVVVV

Well based on a spoiler above perhaps this is apt.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 26, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SaltLick posted:

Gone, but not forgotten. :patriot:

Oh I have a feeling he'll be back. Resurrection is an old PI trick, you know...

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

If someone can find the gift where he opens and closes the blinds I would be so grateful. Looked for it in last season's thread and couldn't find it, sadly.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

If someone can find the gift where he opens and closes the blinds I would be so grateful. Looked for it in last season's thread and couldn't find it, sadly.

You're right. It is a gift. From Dexter to Us.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Just found out that I got Sho back. For a while there, it was part of the gold package from IO, but now it's back so I can watch Dexter. However I have to marathon the last season to play catch up. Which isn't too bad.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

screenwritersblues posted:

However I have to marathon the last season to play catch up. Which isn't too bad.

Aside from the fact that you have to watch it. :stat: :wal:

Paradox Personified posted:

Code came from, and how it was built. We finally get to loving see. And Deb quit her job? She's a private dick? This is going to be great. I really want that Deb spinoff. June 30th, people! Five days. :yosbutt:

For some reason I sense that (not a spoiler just commenting to the previous spoiler) that's how the ending will be set up. As a spinoff for Deb with her killing Dexter. The final scene will be Deb's voiceover

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I feel that this thread is the best so far. No delusions that it'll be a good season. Just good memories and gif(t)s from our beloved and hated show.

Sundays episode won't fool me into false hope like last season either.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Good Lord, this is it! This is the answer to anyone who asks "Why do you hate-watch?!"

CaptainHollywood posted:

For some reason I sense that (not a spoiler just commenting to the previous spoiler) that's how the ending will be set up. As a spinoff for Deb with her killing Dexter. The final scene will be Deb's voiceover
This is the only possible way the show could redeem itself. And then she shows up in Hannibal season 2.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Slamhound posted:

This is the only possible way the show could redeem itself. And then she shows up in Hannibal season 2.

Yeeeeeesssss!!!!! Brilliant!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I would watch the hell out of that spinoff.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

It will end with Deb saying something to the effect of 'tonight's the motherfucking night, and it's going to keep loving happening over and loving over again'. Ghost Dad, Ghost Doakes and Ghost Dexter will remove their hoods and each pull a thumbs up in slow motion. Iris wipe to credits.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Medullah posted:

Oh I have a feeling he'll be back. Resurrection is an old PI trick, you know...

You mess with the bull, you get the horn.

The funniest part for me is how much that little kid looks like Ted Raimi

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot1ClxuJdYI

"Beer is good any time." :allears:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I went all the way back to the S5 thread to find the one I made

I hosted it on tinypic and it got deleted :smith:

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Hell, I'll try to remake it when I get to it.
Four days left to marathon through seven seasons of Dexter. :whip: Any requests, get them in now and hold on to your butts! :chef:

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Relive the magic! See how far we've come/fallen:

S1
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2031404
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2210413

S2-3
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2475797

S4
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3208307

S5
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336602

S6
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3434331

S7
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509568

Excerpts from a page between the S3-S4 gap:

Junkfist fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Junkfist posted:

Relive the magic! See how far we've come/fallen:

S1
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2031404

Yay I get to read along like it's liveposting!

• Locked thread