Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Man, this game. I really want to like this game because it's incredibly charming, looks great, has a nice lighthearted plot... it really feels like a nice old SNES/PSX era JRPG with improved technology.

And yet, I can't, because the battle system is just plain not fun and, frankly, kind of a chore. The pseudo kinda-real-time-except-not-entirely system seems interesting on paper, but the execution is clunky. Just the simple fact that the "Defend" and "Evade" options are menu options that you need to scroll to rather than them being bound to a button, and yet they're often required to basically survive boss attacks, would be bad enough, but also:
- The menu becomes unavailable while you're executing any attack.
- The menu only shows like four options at the same time while you can have more than that, leaving some possibly vital ones off-screen.
- And the menu scrolling is done via the D-Pad while the movement is done via the left stick, basically requiring you to either perform some finger acrobatics on the controller or standing still while scolling over to whatever attack you want to use.

In addition to that, the party AI is garbage. Not only does it burn through MP at an alarmingly fast rate, but it's also plain suicidal, especially against bosses. It also takes like a second to switch over to a different party member so you're at an even bigger disadvantage if you're trying to micromanage.

And last but not least, maybe because of some of the things above, bosses often take 20 or more minutes despite having only perhaps 3 minutes of unique attack patterns. It doesn't help that they often have unskippable combat animations that plain interrupt the battle, dragging them out even longer.

Again, I'd really *like* to like this game, but I just simply cannot. I'm sorry, Ni No Kuni.

Of course, the JRPG I played last before this game was Tales of Graces f, and you can't really expect any other game to compete with that battle system, but that doesn't excuse any of the battle system flaws which all seem easily fixable (except maybe the party AI) with some playtesting and a couple days of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread