Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Coconut Indian posted:

I read that the the author of the books this show is based on is putting out more. When is this show going to end then?

The book series was already expanded to capitalize on the success of the show (there was a part that was clearly meant to be the end of the series, but they decided to drag it out and make things even stupider) - I imagine both will continue as long as they're profitable. That being said, it is a teen drama and the fifth season is usually when they implode and get cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

TurnipFritter posted:

The book series was already expanded to capitalize on the success of the show (there was a part that was clearly meant to be the end of the series, but they decided to drag it out and make things even stupider) - I imagine both will continue as long as they're profitable. That being said, it is a teen drama and the fifth season is usually when they implode and get cancelled.

This show also has the same fundamental problem Burn Notice had/has with its big bad where you can only keep revealing co-conspirators/underlings for so long before the plot point of "Who is the real A/person who burned Michael Weston?" becomes tedious.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

xeria posted:

I've never read the books but it'd seem weird if the A storyline followed the girls into college, because it seems like you'd have to trap all the major players into local schools (which Spencer loving Hastings would not settle for Hollis) in order to keep things reasonably coherent. "Someone is stalking me and filming my every move and blackmailing me!" starts to fall apart the more decentralized the main action gets. Like, we joke about how omnipotent A is but A only really has to work within Rosewood and its immediate surroundings, with rare jaunts out to other places.

Does Spencer actually do work anymore? Like, I cannot imagine season 1 Spencer settling for Hollis, but season 4 spencer? The only thing I imagine Spencer doing is becoming some sort of private eye at this point.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Well then. Who'd a thunk they'd blow so much of their music budget on country songs?

We can all agree that there's no way Cece is The Redcoat, right? She may certainly be someone who wears a red coat and causes mischief, but she can't possibly be The Redcoat. It's too easy - especially when you know the show wants to have a big dramatic reveal where we literally get to see someone pull off the red hood.

Is Not-Peeta gonna be the New Caleb? It seems possible. Foot fetish aside, Jake is still vastly preferable to the Fitz. He and Aria actually have conversations! It's nice.

Next week is the end of the summer season, and then it's on break til the Halloween episode and Ravenswood.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Caleb's only two hours away though. I mean if he was moving out of state than fine but that sign they're using for Ravenswood makes it out to be way shorter than was originally insinuated (or maybe that was just me).

Also, I wish they would solve this thing with Toby's mom. It's gotten really annoying and honestly I doubt they're going to tie it back to the main mystery in any meaningful way... only if it ends up being that Cece or Allison killed her (which I would love because the show needs more crazy poo poo like that).

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

TurnipFritter posted:

We can all agree that there's no way Cece is The Redcoat, right? She may certainly be someone who wears a red coat and causes mischief, but she can't possibly be The Redcoat. It's too easy - especially when you know the show wants to have a big dramatic reveal where we literally get to see someone pull off the red hood.

Yeah, definitely not Redcoat. They did this same thing with the Toby reveal way back when where they showed him in the hoodie but never showed Mona until the big reveal. Cece is probably just a pawn. Besides, she wasn't wearing the Alison mask in the scene where she has the coat on. I really hope that it either ends up being Alison or something even more ridiculous (Ezra, Ted, Maya, or Alison's mom) just because that's what this show is about and it hasn't been anywhere near ridiculous enough lately.

And they really just need to go for broke with Ezra at this point and make his story end abruptly, violently, and tragically. Because there is no way to dig him out of the hole they have put him in without far too much screen time and terrible plots. So he just needs to be done with the show, be evil, or go crazy.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 22, 2013

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I actually liked Ezra for the first time in this episode. Telling Emily to shut up about her problems nobody cares about and then getting told off by a student for being a creep are definitely two of his finest moments. Unfortunately, they're setting him up to be back with Aria and ughhhh

I'm not feeling the Toby storyline though, yeah. I'd much rather be losing him than Caleb at this point; after being evil and being in a du-rag the Toby character can only go downhill from here.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It was extremely appropriate that (A) When Emily felt that someone in a position of authority over her was making inappropriate advances she went straight to the expert and (B) The first time Ezra was a raging, unsympathetic rear end in a top hat to her it was after she turned eighteen.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Something that struck me in this episode- with Hanna going to pieces and Emily getting progressively angrier and Spencer- still being Spencer- Aria is turning into the selfless, peacemaking emotional core of the group. Which is frankly loving bizarre. :catstare:

TurnipFritter posted:

I don't know. I think I can buy Cece as Redcoat, because it always seemed like kind of a low-key mystery to me- so the low-key reveal fits. I don't know, I think usually I would be in your camp, but my gut just isn't buying it this time. I definitely don't think she's A Prime, though. That'll be Alison's genetically engineered, nuclear powered ghost robot clone twin from the future-past and simultaneously space.

I'm actually coming round to the theory that there isn't and never was an A Prime. More and more, this show is putting me in mind of the other piece of conspiracy fiction I've read- the Illuminatus! Trilogy. At the end of which it is revealed*, I spoil for you now, that there is no "true" Illuminati- there were a bunch of hippies getting stoned and talking about enlightenment at the dawn of time, but no world-controlling conspiracies. The real Illuminatis- the actual functioning conspiracies- that sprung up later are all fake: people trying to "resurrect" the Illuminati, or trying to infiltrate them by adopting what they think are "illuminated" patterns of action, or temporarily co-opting the name of the Illuminati to further their own designs. All eventually stumbling across each other and going, "Aha! It's the real Illuminati," and lying to each other and spreading misinformation and hoaxes and obfuscating their own natures so successfully that they don't even know what's true any more. So A was just something Alison made up that one time, for her own purposes, and everyone else talked the myth into being real.

I guess what I'm saying is I want the solution to this show's mystery to be at least as complicated and messy as the mystery was.

*(I should probably point out that Illuminatus! is high farce, and the joke is that it presents dozens of possible explanations of reality, all of them simultaneously interlocked and overlapping and fundamentally irreconcilable, with nothing to pick out any particular one as the real truth.)

TurnipFritter posted:

It was extremely appropriate that (A) When Emily felt that someone in a position of authority over her was making inappropriate advances she went straight to the expert and (B) The first time Ezra was a raging, unsympathetic rear end in a top hat to her it was after she turned eighteen.

Ezra is as Ezra does. :allears: I'm actually getting a major kick out of watching him break down like this.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
This show is the greatest show because the girls are so unsupervised that they can have a baby coffin with a doll in it hanging out in the living room for days at a time and no one really gives a poo poo and also because Spencer is the best character on anything ever and only continues to get more amazing. And Aria using her martial arts skills and kicking people in the boob! Eyeballs in giant pictures on walls! I almost never understand anything that happens in the larger framework of the mystery of the show but I ain't even mad. Because also, honestly, I don't really care. It's nice that they showed Alison being alive again and the two Redcoats and Ezra being possibly the ultimate creeper (though I think that's a fakeout) and all of that but mostly I'm watching for the moments when Emily is screaming in a coffin on the way to a giant circular saw. I was actually really disappointed when Cece seemingly died because it was like, no, Emily never made out with her, girls can't die unless they first receive the Judas kiss. But then she was alive anyway so this show is the greatest! God bless everything about Pretty Little Liars.

Also I have never laughed harder at this show than when Paige was so earnestly like "why are you worried about Mona, she tried to kill you??", like, look in the mirror there Chuckles McGee. Paige is hilarious.

Halloween episode looks baller as hell though.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
God bless Spencer "Hi, it's Spencer, I'm crawling into the crawlspace!" Hastings. God bless Emily "Shut up, Hanna!" Fields. God bless Hanna "Are you pregnant?" Marin. And I guess Aria and her boob-punching, too.

God. Bless. This. Show.

(Please let Ezra for real be the ultimate creeper.)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, I was really hoping Ezra was the Master A when Aria was roaming around the room apart from the rest of the girls, and I was upset when she didn't find anything that she could link to him, so the last scene was great. Although, of course, it's going to end up as "Ezra was following Aria so he could Protect Her and he was mad she didn't tell him about A; he's a great guy and this is truly the most amazing love story of all time" and I'm going to kill myself

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Yeah, I was really hoping Ezra was the Master A when Aria was roaming around the room apart from the rest of the girls, and I was upset when she didn't find anything that she could link to him, so the last scene was great. Although, of course, it's going to end up as "Ezra was following Aria so he could Protect Her and he was mad she didn't tell him about A; he's a great guy and this is truly the most amazing love story of all time" and I'm going to kill myself

At least Ezra is then involved in the plot.

I would love love love for him to be Master A though! That would make almost the entirety of their stupid segregated plotlines worth it.

edit; This would explain why Aria was targeted waaaaaay less often than the other three.

Cityinthesea fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 28, 2013

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Cityinthesea posted:

At least Ezra is then involved in the plot.

I would love love love for him to be Master A though! That would make almost the entirety of their stupid segregated plotlines worth it.

edit; This would explain why Aria was targeted waaaaaay less often than the other three.

If it's legit, and Ezra's creepily involved at best, then that gives us Mona, Jenna, Shana, Cece, Melissa, Wren, and now Ezra.

Mona referenced there being a 'team' but the only people we ever saw her actively working with were Toby and Lucas. She was visited in Radley by Cece, whose visit was facilitated by Wren (apparently the only doctor in the entirety of Rosewood), who was engaged to and now apparently jetting off to live with Melissa, who was seen consorting with Jenna and Shana but swears everything she did was to protect Spencer.

And we know Wilden was involved before getting killed, but I think we can safely say he didn't try to kill Alison because that reveal would be fairly anticlimactic at this point.

So it seems pretty strongly that it's Wren or Ezra now, with the others involved in covering it up/pursuing still-alive Alison to varying degrees. (Which really fits if you think about it, that Wren or Ezra would be 'board shorts' and Alison's other-other-other older guy, because both of them are loving skeevy when it comes to underage/teenager girls.) If it's legit, we're primed to get some hella backstory about Ezra going to college in Rosewood and how he might be connected to all of those other people.

Also, one of my friends checked and this screencap from 4x11 is legit. Look at the mug in the background:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Is Ian confirmed dead? I forget what happened but seeing what happened with Cece was pretty similar to what happened with Ian, I would honestly not be surprised to see Ian again.

Then again I guess no one is confirmed dead after Allison digs herself out of her own grave.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I think Ian is confirmed dead. He disappeared after the belltower thing but they found his body with a gun and a fake suicide note in a barn some time after that.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It appears that in addition to "I'm gonna mess with your mothers" the other theme for this season is "Evidence boards." After the one at the police station, and the one that Caleb and Toby had, and the one that CeCe had, they finally blew their load with the A Lair. Nothing but rows and rows of evidence boards. I'm starting to think they're just raiding the writers' room for props.

This show. Y'all. I feel like someone should have said "Jesus loving Christ" when they saw the A Lair. Because, really, it's the first time they really saw what they were up against.

Put me on Team "I hope Ezra is the Ultimate Creeper but it will probably just end up him following Aria to protect her."

It felt kinda like Paige was putting out some A Vibes too even though we've already been down that road before. That last bit with Grunwald felt like it was trying to throw some suspicion at Aria. Between Grunny's "Yeah Ali probably can't trust any of you bitches" and Aria's "Welp can't believe a word that old lady says let's get outta here" reaction...

The conversation between Toby and Spencer re: Wren was... off. It was the way he referred to Wren as Spencer's ex-boyfriend, which... he wasn't, was he? I know they kissed a few times and went on a couple of dates (one of which was explicitly to get back at Toby for being A and then Toby tried to murder Spencer in her Space Shower), but they were never in a relationship, right?

Wasn't super crazy about Hanna's "what is magic trick???" bits, but I suppose the disappearing act is kind of terrifying, given the world these girls live in.

xeria posted:

God bless Spencer "Hi, it's Spencer, I'm crawling into the crawlspace!" Hastings. God bless Emily "Shut up, Hanna!" Fields. God bless Hanna "Are you pregnant?" Marin. And I guess Aria and her boob-punching, too.

God. Bless. This. Show.

(Please let Ezra for real be the ultimate creeper.)

Aria "I don't do boxes" Montgomery.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 28, 2013

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

TurnipFritter posted:

The conversation between Toby and Spencer re: Wren was... off. It was the way he referred to Wren as Spencer's ex-boyfriend, which... he wasn't, was he? I know they kissed a few times and went on a couple of dates (one of which was explicitly to get back at Toby for being A and then Toby tried to murder Spencer in her Space Shower), but they were never in a relationship, right?

They never explicitly dated that I remember, no, but Toby might be referencing the time he fell off a ladder or something and was in the hospital and saw Wren flirting with Spencer.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

To my mind Toby is the exact kind of teenage boy who would be like "oh look there's your ex-boyfriend" to his girl in the mall when they walked past some dude at the Jamba Juice she made out with once at a party two years ago. He's just got that kind of energy. Nevermind that every person should make out with Dr. Wren whenever possible.

I kind of really want my own A Lair. Just dolls and eyeballs and tailored suits everywhere. I need to make this happen. I definitely need my own timeline because poo poo is crazy. I can't believe I'm actually trying to figure this stuff out but here I go.

Re: the teams, I mean I'm totally confused even though I actually read recaps of this show so I should know what's happening, but are there basically four non-Liar factions? And they're all kind of fighting each other?

- A-Lair peeps (Ezra maybe + Boardshorts + Cece, formerly Wilden, Mona, Toby, and Lucas)
- NAT club (down to Jason and Melissa but maybe including Wren?, formerly Ian and Garret and Jenna)
- Girl Power (Jenna + Shana + the airport guy + maybe Mona)
- Redcoat (Alison's hyperadrenalized reality)

If there are seriously that many it is starting to feel like Game of Thrones: Rosewood. That doesn't even include any of the grown-ups except for like Wilden and Melissa are sort of adults. Someone please help me.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
At this point, I think 'board shorts' has to be either Ezra or Wren.

I wouldn't be surprised if the gist is that Wren dated Alison on the sly (or was just really, really stalkery about her) because he's just that creepo, found out she was also chasing Ian and whatever other dudes at the same time, tried to kill her or whatever, then has been playing like every side possible this whole time, after figuring out she wasn't actually dead, just to find her again so he can kiil her for real. We know he thought himself pretty tight with Mona, that Shana's for whatever reason carting around his packing receipts/labels, that he got Cece in to see Mona in Radley, that he was engaged to Melissa and is now running the gently caress away to go live in her flat (AND let's not forget that Melissa specifically warned Spencer to stay the gently caress away from Wren before Spencer nearly died in her Robot Death Shower). And he has access to, like, everything ever since he's the only drat doctor/psychiatrist in town.

So that's my take. Everyone else involved has their own reasons for being involved (eg. Cece wants revenge for getting kicked out of UPenn and also probably killed Wilden because she was scared of him) but Wren's the one actually targeting Alison, and he's playing everyone because he thinks at least one of them will lead him to her. And Ezra's just another red herring (sad as it is, because it'd make his character 1000000% more interesting if he was actually that much a bad guy.)

Of course, the question still lingering: if Alison's definitely alive, who the hell's bones did they bury?

(Book spoilers that may or may not actually happen on the show: I mean, there's the possibility that the bones were Alison's twin but you'd think at least Mrs. DeLaurentis of anyone would have mentioned by now that Ali even had a twin since none of the girls seem to know that, if it was relevant to the show storyline. And the show's veered pretty sharply off course from the books starting with how Mona's still alive and up to shenanigans. In the books, she dies the night everyone figures out that she's A.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Was lucas ever involved with A A? If I recall correctly, Mona started the A stuff before Master A came along, because she wanted Hanna to herself or something? God this show. The thing is that Mona insinuated in the season 3 finale is she didn't know who red coat was, but did she ever say red coat is A? If red coat was opposing them the whole time then maybe Mona's still on the A team or whatever. It's not like she was harmed by A that much as of yet.

Honestly I'm leaning more towards Ezra being board shorts because Wren only ever started acting sinister sinister within the last couple episodes, afaik. you could look at a couple different things Ezra's done (catching up to the horror train, him coming from money) and say that he has means to be A, while Wren was just a creeper. I also think that Ezra being A would be so much more amazing though so maybe I'm biased. Maybe I'll go back and watch the series with either Ezra or Wren being A in my mind so I can see who's more suspicious.

Also there was totally a different doctor! the one who looked at Emily's shoulder!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Wren's been overtly sketchy at least since the tail end of last season and Spencer's trip to Radley (where the show painted a picture that it was Eddie Lamb vs Wren for some reason or other and one or both couldn't be trusted). Beyond that, it's mostly been him scamming on teenage girls.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

I definitely think Wren is up to his eyeballs in something but I'm not sure I buy him being Boardshorts if only because why would they nickname him Boardshorts when his more apparent defining feature is his adorable accent?

Unless he's not really British at all and THE ACCENT IS ALL AN ACT!

I am aware this is all the dumbest thing I have maybe ever said but it's true! Also I don't want Wren to be evil because he is my spirit animal. But xeria makes a compelling case.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I think I'd like this show a lot more if it was set in the 1800s or early 1900s because then at least it would make more sense that no one seems to mind that there are at least 3 male characters in their mid 20s in relationships with teenage girls and the only doctor in town manages to be both a physician and a psychiatrist. All the A messages could be sent via carrier pigeon.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Coconut Indian posted:

at least 3 male characters in their mid 20s in relationships with teenage girls

3 is a severe undercount. Aren't all the male characters on the show creeps?

Ezra, Jason, Garrett, Wren, Ian, Byron, and Wilden have all gotten some of the teenage action.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I think you could technically include Toby and Jake in that bunch as well. Caleb's like the only teen boy any of them have ever seriously dated who's actually (still) in high school, and he just got sent through a time portal to Ye Olde Ravenswood or something.

(I thought Toby was a high schooler but apparently not? He's never actually at school, anyway, and is always gallivanting around the countryside. Maybe he graduated at the end of season 2 or something.)

Also, did that Sean Faris character ever actually do anything of import? The guy they cast to play one of the state police, Holbrook or whatever? It seems like at some point in the season they just went, "Eh, gently caress it," and let Roma Maffia take over the police side of things.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Toby dropped out to be super teenage handyman guy.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Boardshorts has to be either Wren or EzrA, because, honestly, at this point it can't just be some generic Humbert Humbert we've never met.

I definitely think that Melissa and Jenna and Shana are not playing on the same team as Wren, despite appearances. I'm taking her passionate speech at the Mask Workshop's Dock (I love this show) at face value and that she's protecting Spencer. Like, maybe Wren isn't actually moving and the Shady Ladies are just packing his poo poo up and sending it to Melissa so she can go through it and find incriminating evidence?

Cityinthesea posted:

Was lucas ever involved with A A? If I recall correctly, Mona started the A stuff before Master A came along, because she wanted Hanna to herself or something? God this show. The thing is that Mona insinuated in the season 3 finale is she didn't know who red coat was, but did she ever say red coat is A? If red coat was opposing them the whole time then maybe Mona's still on the A team or whatever. It's not like she was harmed by A that much as of yet.

Yeah, he did a little bit of A stuff. The only thing I really recall was Emily's massage.

Sophia posted:

If there are seriously that many it is starting to feel like Game of Thrones: Rosewood. That doesn't even include any of the grown-ups except for like Wilden and Melissa are sort of adults. Someone please help me.

Excuse me, the hashtag they want you to use is #WorldWarA. (World War A began with the assassination of Archbitch Alison, setting off a chain reaction of shaky alliances...)

Edit: Ravenswood is so ridiculous and delightful I'm gonna be sad if they tone the creepy down by introducing normal people with normal lives when the show starts. I think I'm gonna get this thread title changed to Pretty Little Liars S4 and Ravenswood: Tween Peaks and Tween Peaks-ier

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 28, 2013

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, he did a little bit of A stuff. The only thing I really recall was Emily's massage.

He might have also had a hand in Emily getting roofied. I vaguely recall that the extra pills in question were stashed in his camera case or something that Aria found. And he was palling around with Jenna and Melissa at that masquerade ball on Mona's orders for whatever reason (the night Mona was revealed as A).

Also, PLL and soon Ravenswood are teaching me that Pennsylvania is to be avoided at all costs.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

xeria posted:

(Book spoilers that may or may not actually happen on the show: I mean, there's the possibility that the bones were Alison's twin but you'd think at least Mrs. DeLaurentis of anyone would have mentioned by now that Ali even had a twin since none of the girls seem to know that, if it was relevant to the show storyline. And the show's veered pretty sharply off course from the books starting with how Mona's still alive and up to shenanigans. In the books, she dies the night everyone figures out that she's A.

Book spoilers I hope they don't go down that route for the show, because the twins aspect was terrible both in concept and execution. I wouldn't be surprised if CeCe ended up being Alison's long lost (older) half-sister, possibly fathered by Papa DiLaurentis. That would help explain why she was a college student hanging out with a ninth grader.

But yes, we're well past the point where Courtney could have believably introduced into the plot, and given that the most recent episode involved the Liars going to Silent Hill to talk to a Soothsayer, that's saying a lot.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

TurnipFritter posted:

Book spoilers I hope they don't go down that route for the show, because the twins aspect was terrible both in concept and execution. I wouldn't be surprised if CeCe ended up being Alison's long lost (older) half-sister, possibly fathered by Papa DiLaurentis. That would help explain why she was a college student hanging out with a ninth grader.

But yes, we're well past the point where Courtney could have believably introduced into the plot, and given that the most recent episode involved the Liars going to Silent Hill to talk to a Soothsayer, that's saying a lot.

More book spoiler talk! There was an interview with the girl who plays Alison, Sasha Pieterse, where she said as far as she knows/has been told, the writers have no intention of introducing the 'Ali has a twin!' story to the show. Which I think works out for the best since the show and books have diverged pretty much all over the drat place and pulling the twin card in the show at this point would be something they do just because it was one of the major plot points of the books rather than as something that actually makes sense given the storylines of the show.

I think, then, that the ghost story Alison tells during the first Halloween episode, of the twin girls where one of them is jealous and kills the other is going to end up being a call-out/wink-wink-nudge-nudge to book readers rather than anything that has any pertinence to the show proper.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
The Ezra revelation makes a lot of things from the past make sense now, and it's awesome. Like, for example, he would have been the one to throw Ian off the belltower when he was about to kill Spencer in S1 -- Ian looks at him, goes "What are you doing here," then gets the ol' heave-ho. In one of the end-of-episode clips from back around the same time, A has chopped down a tree that had "Alison + Ian" carved into it, and was burning it. It makes sense that Ezra would hold a grudge against Ian for stealing Ali's affections.

Earlier this season, when Aria was being poisoned by Meredith's klonopin tea and hallucinating, ghost-Ali offhandedly mentioned something about "the chips [being] down with Ezra's mom," and that's why she was blackmailing Aria's dad. We also know that Ali had thought she was knocked up after/during Cape May, when she was seeing board shorts (Ezra), that she has a thing for blackmailing, and that Ezra's mom likes to throw money at knocked-up teen girls to make them go away. We can probably assume, then, that Ali was milking Mrs. Fitz for hush money, and when that well ran dry, she started blackmailing Bryan Montgomery because she needed the dough (for what reason, who knows). I could believe that with all of this going on, Ezra would try to shut Ali up for good.

Even if that's assuming too much, I think it's safe to say by now that Ezra is behind everything. It makes too much sense in too many ways, including the fact that they need SOMETHING to drive a wedge between him and Aria, because the show has been sort of romanticizing statutory rape for a couple of years by now. That aside, looking back, there are all kinds of crazy little clues that point to it being Ezra, and it's so goddamn satisfying to see them all pay off.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I will be seriously disappointed if it isn't him. Him being A is the only way to not make his character totally loving worthless and horrible (I mean he's still horrible but in a way that makes sense). If they do a swerve and he's really just protecting Aria, I might just puke a little. Him being the villain is perfect and always has been perfect. It makes all of his inconsistencies and terribleness make perfect sense. If he's A, then I will forgive the show for so much of his badness (not all of it because he's still terrible but lots of it).

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Another point in favor of Master A being Ezra is the whole "Ali was going to meet this guy, he thought she was 18!" The very first time we meet Ezra, he's making the same "misjudgment" with regards to Aria.

I don't think he actually is, however. I had to re-watch the reveal at the end and I feel like the actor played it more like the stalky ex-boyfriend who discovers a secret that pisses him off, and less like a stalky master manipulator whose secrets have been exposed.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
I doubt it. The pieces all fit too perfectly for it to not be him, both foreshadowing-wise and just logistically. Even if you just look at the last 15 minutes of the episode -- Ezra hears the girls say they're going to crash the party and go into the antique shop, he heads back to his place to change into his WWI outfit, and when he gets there, he realizes that they've been inside and wigs out. He wouldn't just wander into that apartment for no reason, and even if he'd seen the girls come out of it, he would probably keep tailing them rather than go investigate where they'd been.

The show did the evil boyfriend fakeout before with Toby, and I don't think they'd do it again -- especially after that beautifully melodramatic, post-ending "#EZRA" business. And when it comes to this show, the marketing and the show itself are pretty inextricably linked, so if they're treating it with that much gravity, I'm inclined to just believe them.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Another important clue: A is constantly playing with children's toys like dolls and magic eight balls and Ezra is a big man child.

There are a lot of fun ways this could play out, and I would be amazed if they managed to just straight up cop to him being A and let us see him setting up his menacing A plots for the rest of the season. If they managed to pull it off. It could end up like that one season of Desperate Housewives where Neal McDonough's evil plot was revealed like halfway through the season and then everything after felt like it was treading water. On the other hand, I don't suppose it would be radically different from the A Tags we have now, except we'd be seeing Ezra instead of just his gloves.

On a completely different hand (rapidly running out of hands here), how great would it be to have all the factions out in the open, just constantly plotting and setting plans into motion and planting evidence and sending each other threatening text messages? Embrace World War A, writers! Let us watch Rosewood deteriorate into an actual, honest-to-god warzone.

Edit: Did anyone recognize the book that Hanna took from the A Lair? I feel like we're supposed to recognize it, but I'm drawing a blank.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 29, 2013

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Manos del Sino posted:

Another point in favor of Master A being Ezra is the whole "Ali was going to meet this guy, he thought she was 18!" The very first time we meet Ezra, he's making the same "misjudgment" with regards to Aria.

I don't think he actually is, however. I had to re-watch the reveal at the end and I feel like the actor played it more like the stalky ex-boyfriend who discovers a secret that pisses him off, and less like a stalky master manipulator whose secrets have been exposed.

I also got the sense that he was mad that A was back and they didn't tell him about it (because he doesn't know, as far as I understand) than that he was found out or anything. Not to mention that I think it was Mona who pushed Ian off the tower and chopped down the tree. Don't get me wrong I would love it to be Ezra, and I think the ground has been laid for him to be a lot more deeply disturbed and unbalanced than the surface regardless, but I don't think he played the end scene like he was the mastermind. As I think more about how Wren seems to be involved in all of the pies he makes a lot more sense.

Though also I was thinking about it and I agree with whoever said Shana and Jenna are just trying to make Wren look bad for whatever reason. The way she dropped that mailing thing seemed way too deliberate, like she wanted Toby to find it, and take the heat off of someone else. Could be wrong there.

I did not recognized the book Hanna took, but I was guessing it belonged to her mom. A diary of some kind maybe.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sophia posted:

I also got the sense that he was mad that A was back and they didn't tell him about it (because he doesn't know, as far as I understand) than that he was found out or anything. Not to mention that I think it was Mona who pushed Ian off the tower and chopped down the tree. Don't get me wrong I would love it to be Ezra, and I think the ground has been laid for him to be a lot more deeply disturbed and unbalanced than the surface regardless, but I don't think he played the end scene like he was the mastermind. As I think more about how Wren seems to be involved in all of the pies he makes a lot more sense.

Though also I was thinking about it and I agree with whoever said Shana and Jenna are just trying to make Wren look bad for whatever reason. The way she dropped that mailing thing seemed way too deliberate, like she wanted Toby to find it, and take the heat off of someone else. Could be wrong there.

I did not recognized the book Hanna took, but I was guessing it belonged to her mom. A diary of some kind maybe.

Didn't Mona specifically say in 4x01 that she didn't know who killed Ian and wished she knew who did? Or am I thinking of something else entirely? I know she said that about something and I think it was about Ian, but I could be horribly wrong.

Also, we don't see Ezra spy on the girls at the end of the episode until after they've talked to Grunwald and have wandered away from A's lair entirely (they're walking down the street by that clothing shop when we see him watching them). So either he just knew where A's lair was and ducked out to check on it (Ezra is one of the As), or he'd been tailing them the entire evening and only circled back to look at the lair after he watched them go into the shop (Ezra is not one of the As and is just being creepo/stalkery/"protective").

I still think Wren's the ultimate big bad, at least as it relates to Alison, and the "World War A" could indicate that the other As (Mona, Shana, Jenna) are pushing back against him and trying to get him caught by the girls, maybe because they don't feel safe anymore with him running around. Cece (or whoever) did attack Jenna at that party and Mona was like, "I don't trust you anymore," to Wren while she was in Radley.

Panda So Panda
Feb 21, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Did anyone recognize the book that Hanna took from the A Lair? I feel like we're supposed to recognize it, but I'm drawing a blank.

I thought it was supposed one of Ali's diaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

I'm late to the party but I am violently crossing my fingers hoping that in spite of the lowkey reveal Ezra is the master creep. They put so much effort into making his relationship with Aria seem romantic rather than predatory that I cannot wait for them to spin around and say "you fools! How could that relationship have been anything but manipulative?"

But I'm pretty sure he was just tailing her. To protect her. From the dangers in her life that don't involve a power-imbalance relationship. How romantic :barf:

It would be nice if this show could end coherently instead of turning into suspense diarrhea and ending incoherently when they realise only the hatewatchers are left.

• Locked thread