Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Midnight Animal news here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/midnight-animal

swamp waste posted:

I loving dont like it and there is so much of it. Somehow there are more guys than it seems like there should be. Fat, nimble black men bodyslam through doors, unpack themselves from shelves, shimmy through air ducts, yearning to punch me in the face. My bugeyed fuckup hero cant harm them with a machete but can somehow pick out the only empty shotgun from a pile of gore-soaked shotguns. This is someone's fantasy, but not mine. A thug with severely limited powers of object permanence whips around and performs a sick 180 noscope headshot on me through many panes of glass. The background music has looped four times already.

Ledgy posted:

My god, did you guys know you can extend Corey's dodge roll by pressing space longer ? loving hell, Death Wish might be really easier now.

Ledgy posted:

My god, did you guys know you can extend Corey's dodge roll by pressing space longer ? loving hell, Death Wish might be really easier now.

Ledgy posted:

:siren:Game is officially announced for March 10th! Pre-order now!:siren:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/274170/

:mario:Nobody cares how edgy or PC you are about rape:mario:

Hotline Miami is a top-down action game released in 2012 for the PC by Jonatan "Cactus" Söderström and Dennis Wedin. It delved into the neon soaked underbelly of 1980s Miami crime in an intense (and intensely violent) frenzy of hazy rage.

Semi-recently Hotline Miami was announced to be coming out on PlayStation 3 and PS Vita on June 25 for $10/£7.29/€8.99. The PlayStation version comes with trophies, touch-based lock-on for the Vita, leaderboards, and earlier access to a new mask, Russel the Raging Bull. (It was noted that Russel would "probably come in a patch" for the PC later on. It's also a cross-buy title, so one purchase gains players access to both versions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKTXLwfvOTI

Set (Mostly) in the 90s, Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number is the sequel slated for release in late 2013https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2iPqdofc6g. Originally starting out as DLC, Cactus and Dennis decided they had unfinished business with the series and turned it into a full-fledged release of it's own, the concluding half of the Hotline Miami story. While the core gameplay will be the same, specifics have changed. Instead of playing as a single character with different masks, a cast of different characters have their own abilities and agendas.

It wouldn't be Hotline Miami without a phenomenal soundtrack, and so far Wrong Number is living up to the first game. Some artists, such as M|O|O|N and Perturbator will be returning alongside new artists like Tape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfbdxS9o4j0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qXOw9R-EPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svyCX2qHWXU

Dennis Wedin has indicated that Wrong Number will try to evoke a greater range of emotions then the original with a stronger focus on narrative, while not detracting from the gameplay. The story will center on a variety of characters and points in time both before and after the events of Hotline Miami 1. Other then the thus-far announced Pig Butcher and the Fans, we'll be hearing about more characters as the game's release comes nearer.

So far, it certainly seems more brutal then even the first game's astounding violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcIgabcx-9Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh3DV-2LaAg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beUrlDwf56w

Finally, Rock Paper Shotgun has their impressions thus far if you're into that sort of thing.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/19/revealed-hotline-miami-2-wrong-number/

Time will tell if Wrong Number lives up to the first game, but either way, it'll be a ride.

Edit:

Reveal trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi_vTEHvuyk

Sounds of animals fighting trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbf2zPbk5pY

Several months after the release of Wrong Number, an enterprising fellow going by spncryn on moddb and Reddit decided to make a full-sized new game taking place 20 years or so after the events of Hotline Miami 2's final (chronological) scene.

Midnight Animal features a brand-new story, new mask powers, weapons, characters, enemy types and even whole new gameplay features. It's been officially supported by Dennis Wedin and Jonaton Soderstrom, as well as a number of musicians featured in both Hotline Miami games, as well as some who weren't. Midnight Animal is currently set to be release August 16, 2016 with a shareware-style demo titled For This Dear Flag to come by the end of February.

Midnight Animal will has been greenlit on Steam, and will be completely free. The creator has a Patreon which he has clearly stated won't impact the quality of the mod, but if you enjoy it and want to support him personally in his efforts after it's completion, it's there for that.

https://www.patreon.com/spncryn?ty=h

Visual altering masks examples:

Mod screenshots:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wait, its supposed to be Hotline Miami 2 on the topic titl-OH WRONG NUMBER! I GET IT!

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

I'm so goddamn excited for this. Everything about the first one was great, and I still listen to the soundtrack all the time.

I watched some of that gameplay reveal, but it was one of those "first 5 minutes of gameplay!" type videos. Personally I like that stuff to be experienced when I actually play the game, so I just skipped around. It looks just as brutal though. I'm also really glad they're continuing the story instead of starting a new one, my friend and I are still talking about what the hell actually happened.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait, its supposed to be Hotline Miami 2 on the topic titl-OH WRONG NUMBER! I GET IT!
Honestly, I'm kind of sad they didn't actually name the game HM3.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
That Sexualizer song is so good.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of sad they didn't actually name the game HM3.

I'm still waiting for a game to pull a Winamp and skip a number entirely. (2 + 3 = 5, therefore we'll skip 4!)

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Hey it's already out on the PSN. Go buy it!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Amorphous Blob posted:

Hey it's already out on the PSN. Go buy it!

It's the first game that's out on PSN today, not 2, but yeah hooray.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm still waiting for a game to pull a Winamp and skip a number entirely. (2 + 3 = 5, therefore we'll skip 4!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisure_Suit_Larry_4

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Am really looking to this game; the concepts of the narrative around this one are reassuringly ambiguous and strange and man oh man the new soundtrack stuff is great.

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

As someone who doesn't own a PC, I'm really glad I can finally play Hotline Miami on the PS3. Now I get why people love this game.

Does the Raging Bull mask do anything besides turning the game mostly B&W? I'm trying to figure out if it offers any gameplay advantages.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
It likely doesn't. There are other masks in the game that have solely cosmetic effects that don't alter gameplay. One of them even makes the game harder by reversing the controls.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'm kind of hoping we'll see a Hotline Miami animated tv show sometime in the future.

An ultra-violent, darkly humorous, and moody cronengberg-taranteno-lynch inspired show would own, and the bright colors and stylization of good animation would be great for it. I could see the dialogue in such a show being pretty terse and minimal too.

I'd hope to see moments as frightening in such a show as some of the stuff in Cactus's 'mondo medicals/agency' games.

Also, just for fun, here's an interactive music video game by Cactus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2wpu8gS_18
Download and try it out here: http://cactusquid.blogspot.com/2011/10/keyboard-drumset-loving-werewolf.html

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 25, 2013

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

misterdoo01 posted:

It likely doesn't. There are other masks in the game that have solely cosmetic effects that don't alter gameplay. One of them even makes the game harder by reversing the controls.

I've only done 4 missions so far, so I've still got a lot to learn about the game. Don Juan's my favorite mask so far, while Earl was a bit of a disappointment unless I just haven't been using it right.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Skittle Wood posted:

I've only done 4 missions so far, so I've still got a lot to learn about the game. Don Juan's my favorite mask so far, while Earl was a bit of a disappointment unless I just haven't been using it right.

If Earl is the "survive one bullet" mask then no, it's useless. Most of the enemies in the game use automatic weapons or shotguns so if you get hit with one bullet you'll usually get hit by five more immediately so surviving the first shot is worthless.

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

Dauntasa posted:

If Earl is the "survive one bullet" mask then no, it's useless. Most of the enemies in the game use automatic weapons or shotguns so if you get hit with one bullet you'll usually get hit by five more immediately so surviving the first shot is worthless.

Okay, that's what it seemed like when I used it. Is there a "hidden" mask early on in the game I should be looking out for, or do the mission reward masks tend to be the best?

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
My general rule of thumb is to use Tony to just beat the level or to speedrun it, or the Frog mask if you want to compete for a high score. Any other mask boils down to gameplay preference or style.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
None of the masks you find are particularly good (one used to be great for easy high scores).

Booya
Feb 17, 2012
If you aren't using the move speed masks or Don Juan then I don't know what to tell you.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I can't remember which mask it was, but one of them makes any weapon you throw kill enemies rather than just knock them down, that's the one I used on PC. I haven't reinstalled Hotline Miami since getting my new computer, but I think I may have to, it's just such a fun game.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know why people like using Don Juan beyond maybe one stage for novelty because drat do I like using doors to get ground executions! Tony is also overrated. I hate fun.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I did a run with Richard only and it was pretty fun trying to get As and A+s in all the levels. I only got half of them but it was better than cheesing it with Zack.

Booya
Feb 17, 2012

Dinky Duck Race posted:

I don't know why people like using Don Juan beyond maybe one stage for novelty because drat do I like using doors to get ground executions! Tony is also overrated. I hate fun.

I just like to go fast and ground executions slow me down, so basically the same reason I like move speed masks.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
In the first game, instead of picking 'the right mask for the job' I would have much preferred it if the game incentivized you to play through each mission with each mask type. This would mean that the mask abilities really should be more distinct too though - it also means that some of the masks could have drawbacks that make the game more challenging on purpose.

They seem to be dipping their feet in that route for the sequel. Your mask choices are more limited, but their abilities and playstyles are apparently more distinct.

Also another route they could have gone would have been to combine the abilities of multiple masks into a custom setup. For example, I'd love Jake (throw weapon kills) + willem (steal weapon from enemy with spacebar, killing them as you do) + charlie (more melee weapons) for a melee throwing gimmick.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 25, 2013

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Vita version is pretty loving fun!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
One of the characters you play as is a janitor after the Biker/Jacket showdown in Phonhom. It's over six hours of scrubbing, mopping and buffing floors!

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Dinky Duck Race posted:

None of the masks you find are particularly good (one used to be great for easy high scores).

If you're talking about the "Start with a Drill" mask, it's still pretty good for getting high scores.

When I was doing my all A+ run, I always started off trying to full combo the levels. If that didn't work or the enemy density wasn't high enough, I'd just get the drill mask and go to town.

:unsmigghh:

It's such a viscerally satisfying sound/animation. I don't know how they got the sound effect but it's really perfect.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
This is my favorite murder simulator, in the words of the late Jack Thompson. You just frantically run through all the levels non-stop, can chuck weapons entire screens away for a kill, and generally just play ridiculously. It encourages you to repeatedly do the same thing if you fail, and it's all around a blast.

I also hate people who listen to video game soundtracks and turn off music in every game, but I have had this game's soundtrack on my playlist since it came out. The sequel looks like its soundtrack is shaping up nicely.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Khorne posted:

This is my favorite murder simulator, in the words of the late Jack Thompson.

He's still kicking, dude.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I really like that Tape track. It sounds like Hotline, but with a different sort of tone, still a bit psychedelic but much more serene.

FuzzyWuzzy
Jul 16, 2009
:dukedog:
Is there a version of the first Hotline Miami on the PC that isn't a glitchy mess?

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yes, it's called Hotline Miami on the PC.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

FuzzyWuzzy posted:

Is there a version of the first Hotline Miami on the PC that isn't a glitchy mess?

I know the steam version, and I assume all PC versions, have gotten a variety of patches over the months. When it first came out my steam copy was buggy as gently caress, achievements not working, sound sometimes not working, crashing fairly frequently. But now it plays pretty much perfectly so that's my experience at least.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

How do you unlock the bull mask on the vita version?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Khorne posted:

I also hate people who listen to video game soundtracks and turn off music in every game, but I have had this game's soundtrack on my playlist since it came out. The sequel looks like its soundtrack is shaping up nicely.

Dang, bro. No need to make it personal. While I think it's kind of silly to listen to game soundtracks outside of their original context, like on your mp3 player or in your car or whatever, I don't see why you'd have a problem with people listening to them as part of the game. Personally I'll always at least try to play games with their original soundtrack, because it's intended to be a part of the whole experience of playing the game. If it sucks I'm not going to force myself to listen to it, and I'll probably turn it off more times than not, but I'll almost always start out with it on. To use a strained, corny analogy, turning the music off immediately without listening to it is like salting your food before taking a bite after someone else put a lot of effort into making it taste a certain way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

How do you unlock the bull mask on the vita version?

I would also like to know this.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The storyline sounds like it's going to be self referential without outright breaking the forth wall. I hope they pull it off, the "sadness" approach seems promising since I really liked the darker moments of the first game.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 26, 2013

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

TheJoker138 posted:

I would also like to know this.

according to gamefaqs: "Just before the confrontational hobo, you'll find Russell's mask to the left of dumpster at the end of the prelude chapter."

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is it just me, or has HLM gotten REALLY buggy all of a sudden?

I've never had any problems other then with Fun and Games when the game had just came out, but I can't finish Overdose now because the game keeps flipping out and dieing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindy Hopscotch
Mar 30, 2010

You know the story about the scorpion and the frog?

Khorne posted:

This is my favorite murder simulator, in the words of the late Jack Thompson. You just frantically run through all the levels non-stop, can chuck weapons entire screens away for a kill, and generally just play ridiculously. It encourages you to repeatedly do the same thing if you fail, and it's all around a blast.

Uh, wait whats your problem with game soundtracks?? My own music player is filled with game music mostly because it helps me visualize and focus as an artist. I have the whole Hotline Miami OST too. All the music i have serves that purpose to help me with my art (each track usually has a different mood).

However, i didn't know people turn down a games music, I've heard of playing a game and having different music playing say over a stereo or something, but i don't know why someone wouldn't have at least a first play-through listening to all the music.

but to stay on topic, I recently got Steam for the Humble Bundle 8, because of Hotline Miami. Haven't finished it but loving it so far. I keep talking to my friends about it and some of them have bought the PS3 version. My fiance is also getting into it, the music having been what sold him in the first place.

When i learned of a sequel i was overjoyed, this game really deserved it.

• Locked thread