Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

nice level. It doesn't seem to do the hum when you complete objective / killed everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, for some reason levels I make never do that, the music just keeps going even after the objective changes to 'go to car'. It's weird.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
You see this beautiful loving level I made?

Yeah, it looks great doesn't it? You wanna know how it plays? Yeah, me too. :smith:

You know, it's one thing to say "Hey, we're gonna release a beta of the level editor, and it's not going to be perfect but it'll be usable!" and it's another to release something that causes everything you make with it to loving crash hard to the desktop. But the worst part? These fuckers on Reddit have not only gotten this loving thing to work right, they're already creating beautiful fully functioning levels with very little effort apparently!

It's pissing me off.

There is one shitlord named Ash Davis on Reddit who is responding to just about everyone with disdain and hatred and they're such an rear end in a top hat and it makes me so angry that THIS is what they produced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_A18IzM4Ww

This guy has three levels already made, and they're not bad, I think his design philosophy works although it's very abstract.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L59zhEKTTc

This level is amazing as well, how the gently caress?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mIWePzVHEI

I had a chuckle at this, it crashes almost immediately after loading but it at least it loads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bIhT748_qQ

So what the hell? Why is everyone else making amazing levels and mine loving crash? God damnit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Try verifying your game cache, perhaps? Maybe the beta downloaded wrong and something hosed up.

Speaking of hosed up, how do I make a cutscene happen on the second screen or further on a level? Whenever I try to create dialogue it just says "you must place the player first!" which is impossible because you can only manually place the player on the first screen.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Try verifying your game cache, perhaps? Maybe the beta downloaded wrong and something hosed up.

Speaking of hosed up, how do I make a cutscene happen on the second screen or further on a level? Whenever I try to create dialogue it just says "you must place the player first!" which is impossible because you can only manually place the player on the first screen.

Oddly, that wasn't it. I just shut my computer off and took a nap and suddenly it works fine. Oddly fine. Like it's great! Holy poo poo. I'm just a gently caress up.

Create an intro and outro for this and I'm golden for my first level, I think.

EDIT: Well, nothing survives the first playetest, anyway.

EDIT 2: We need the intro areas for the characters; Jacket's apartment, Biker's house, Manny's house, etc.

Also does the sprite substitute thing work on a level by level basis? It seems to read like that but... I don't know.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 12, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Level editor's neat, though I wonder if they just scrapped The Hammer's power for the beta release or entirely.

I'm interested in seeing how much people will be able to mod it. Sprites should be relatively doable. Adding in other mask powers or enemy types would be cool but I don't know if it's even possibe to do that since it doesn't use the standard gamemaker.

man i was let down by the non-fans/evan powers

BillmasterCozb posted:

I mean, in theory this is a funny idea, but in practice it's a good way to get most of the playerbase to dislike the game.

I really have to admire it, because they talked about the theme of the game being 'expectations and endings' but in the end I don't think it worked. Oh well. :shurg:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 13, 2015

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Hammer was going to have a power?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

No. His power is he is a blank slate, and fights everyone.

He can also turn gangsters into mobsters with the magic of a pipe!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Normally I wouldn't double post BUT... seeing as I'm going to be dropping the first level from the SA forums right here right now, why not?

Try out INTERRUPT!

Unzip this folder into your My Documents\My Games\HotlineMiami2\Levels\campaigns folder, then in the Editor menu hit Esc once and you can switch to campaigns. Let me know if you run into any problems and enjoy!

Screenshots:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fun level. The "route" through it was well designed and I like the attention to detail. I see you did not make my mistake and just throw a bunch of paper on the floor to simulate messiness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7aiUlkR4dk

My first custom campaign is finished.There are a number of hitches thanks to the editor being a beta (FLORIDA or MIAMI flashing on every screen, for example) but overall it was pretty easy and a lot of fun.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

My first custom campaign is finished.There are a number of hitches thanks to the editor being a beta (FLORIDA or MIAMI flashing on every screen, for example) but overall it was pretty easy and a lot of fun.

Just remove the address info entirely, that's how I fixed it. Also, the phone call thing is hard to setup, I'm assuming there is some kind of way to script it but I haven't figured it out yet. That's why in my level I had Hammer meet his contact at a bus stop.

Also, release this level, I stopped watching about half way through the video because I didn't want to get spoiled on what "it" was. :v:

New things I figured out:
- You can start a level going into a cutscene and immediately end it to give your player a pre level animation, specifically Henchman pulling out his gun and cocking it.
- I figured out how the mod thing works, you can do it on a level by level basis by giving your level folder it's own mods folder which gave me a brilliant idea that I'm not quite ready to reveal here but let's just say I got a lot of sprite replacing to do for my next full campaign, but before I work on that I wanna knock out at least one fat ninja level for Cobra.
- Also, they did apparently code out replacing music through the mods folder, which means they thought ahead on that. drat it. There is probably still a way to fake it but I'd rather not bother, too much work honestly. Unless someone figures out something... it's not a very well coded game, to be honest, so I'm sure there is some work around I'm just not thinking of.
- If you get into the execution animation with Hammer while holding a nightstick you get stuck in a loop and never stop murdering your victim until someone kills you or you quit. :smith:

My biggest complaint besides the crashing I experience occasionally is the lack of character starting areas. Without Jake's place, making a Jake level feels weird. You also can't put in intros and outros without making a campaign which feels weird to me but I guess that works in theory, like how Mario Maker always makes the last level in a Mario Challenge a Castle but you could just play a single level by itself.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

CJacobs posted:

This looks great. I'd try to tighten and stylize the dialog a little bit cause that lady drops down too much exposition imo, ultimately the dialog is not really necessary to progress the campaign so just make it a little more snappy and along the lines of what you actually get in the game, less 'you might be wondering about my voice well I used a modulator etc etc' and more something like 'I can tell I am not what you expected, well we all have a few tricks up our sleeve' or something . But really, it looks great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you. And yeah, I only considered after finalizing the dialogue for the level in the editor that that line isn't really necessary because it's not like the player can hear that.

Skunkrocker posted:

Just remove the address info entirely, that's how I fixed it. Also, the phone call thing is hard to setup, I'm assuming there is some kind of way to script it but I haven't figured it out yet. That's why in my level I had Hammer meet his contact at a bus stop.

Also, release this level, I stopped watching about half way through the video because I didn't want to get spoiled on what "it" was. :v:

I'll throw it up for download sometime today, sure.

edit: And here it is. I didn't do any tweaks on it because it's kind of a pain in the rear end to redo stuff in the cutscene creator, so it's as is seen in the video warts and all, but I might go back in sometime and clean it up a bit. Just un-rar it and drop the main folder for into my game/hotlinemiami2/levels/campaigns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uslN1UPYe8

By the way, here's a preview of my next campaign, building on what I learned from the first one I made. I blow through it kind of fast because I've played a bunch of it, so I do a little walk through it after so you can see the detail I tried to include.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 14, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

While campaigns are cool and all and allow you to insert awesome intros and outros, they're kind of lovely for single levels. How about a single level where you play as our favorite fat ninja redneck?

Play GOONTANG!

I have been sitting on that particular image file for a long time waiting for this level editor.

Simply unzip to your \Documents\My Games\HotlineMiami2\Levels\single\ folder and enjoy!

Screenshots:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So did anyone figure out a way to zoom and scroll around the editor? I can't seem to figure it out and it's rather... limiting.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

So did anyone figure out a way to zoom and scroll around the editor? I can't seem to figure it out and it's rather... limiting.

There is no zoom. All the middle mouse button does is scroll left and right slightly, but does move the level vertically down several pixels to access the top two rows of the editable space. It is difficult to work with, but I've been managing.

I got a badass Henchman campaign in the works. Only one level left to make. I recycled one of my previous levels because I wrote myself into a corner, but the whole thing is coming out great. Solid five or so levels. Should be done today or tomorrow.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Skunkrocker posted:

There is no zoom. All the middle mouse button does is scroll left and right slightly, but does move the level vertically down several pixels to access the top two rows of the editable space. It is difficult to work with, but I've been managing.

I got a badass Henchman campaign in the works. Only one level left to make. I recycled one of my previous levels because I wrote myself into a corner, but the whole thing is coming out great. Solid five or so levels. Should be done today or tomorrow.

I liked your previous Hammer map, so I'm looking forward to this!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

RandallODim posted:

I liked your previous Hammer map, so I'm looking forward to this!

Yeah, to be honest that is the map I recycled. So you already played part of it. While at work tonight I had a few more level ideas, so it might go further than I think, but I did want to remix that level and tighten it up. Also consider it a preview of things to come, like a demo! :v:

By the way, switching characters will NOT delete all enemies, only those of incompatible enemy types, at least I think so. So if you make a level with Hammer and decide "Nah, this is more of a Jacket/Jake/Writer/Rat/Whoever" level don't fret!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If anyone wants it I have this screenwriting degree that's only use is currently propping up the wobbly leg on my table, so I'd be happy to dust it off and do dialogue passes for any of these.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Has anyone made one of those Biker takes on 50 blessing's campaigns that everyone was talking about doing yet?

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Made a level for The Fans if anyone's interested.

Screenshots:

NewMars posted:

Has anyone made one of those Biker takes on 50 blessing's campaigns that everyone was talking about doing yet?
Not that I know of. It'd be kinda hard to pull of considering the only enemies he can fight are Russian Mobsters. I imagine The Hammer will be the popular choice for "Taking the fight to 50 Blessings" style campaigns.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Brovstin posted:

Not that I know of. It'd be kinda hard to pull of considering the only enemies he can fight are Russian Mobsters. I imagine The Hammer will be the popular choice for "Taking the fight to 50 Blessings" style campaigns.
I thought they said they were fixing that, but I guess they haven't done it yet.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Skyscraper posted:

I thought they said they were fixing that, but I guess they haven't done it yet.

They have added the ability, albeit very alphaish, for custom spritework, apparently. So there's that as well.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

New bug discovered. I put in an insane amount of items into a level, and if Henchman dies being knocked into them you enter a new plane of existence where enemies can't hurt you and you walk through walls.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Skunkrocker posted:

This guy has three levels already made, and they're not bad, I think his design philosophy works although it's very abstract.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L59zhEKTTc

Which track is playing in that one?

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Polka_Rapper posted:

Richard By Dubmood

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Brovstin posted:

Richard By Dubmood

Thanks. I'm currently unable to dig through 3 hours and 18 minutes of soundtrack so it's much appreciated.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Skunkrocker posted:

- If you get into the execution animation with Hammer while holding a nightstick you get stuck in a loop and never stop murdering your victim until someone kills you or you quit. :smith:

...And you think this is a bug?

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Polka_Rapper posted:

richard by dubmood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NubTrpZguJc

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So what's the level making process everyone's finding works for them? I started doing room by room, testing as I went, but it's way too slow and it ends up feeling super disjointed. Should I just build the floor first and then mess around with the details/enemies?

Also is there a way for Henchman to start with his gun equipped?

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

Also is there a way for Henchman to start with his gun equipped?
There are two ways, both explained here.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

When doing the file editing version (which is awesome because it allows you to also include a cutscene in your level) you have to open the level back up in the editor and save again. This forces the game to load the appropriate scripting. I didn't realize this until later, and he even says it in the video, but he just says it in passing weirdly and it threw me off. Hope that helps.

New bug discovered and I'm really not sure what causes it, but if you make a campaign with several levels you can glitch the audio somehow where it will not play the correct level music, and usually plays no music at all, except during intros and outros. Very VERY bizarre bug. I must have done something to cause it.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
Apparently doing an execution as Mark when your MP5s are empty will completely refill them and warp them into your hands. At least that happened for me in Receive.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Same thing happens with the son and his mp5s, also I've been getting a bug where ammo counts for different guns get swapped around. I got an AK with 2 shots and a double barrel with 24.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Editor updated! Yay!

December 23rd, 2015 - Patch #1
Fixed not being able to place different furniture variations.
Fixed various glitches pertaining to ammo count in the guns.
Fixed ability to create cutscenes on added floors.
Added missing cutscene graphics (Writer's face, Biker faces and the fans unmasked body sprites).
Categorized the Dialogue 'faces' menu
Fixed an issue where multi-floor levels would sometimes display 'LEVEL CLEARED' after finishing just the first floor.
Fixed an issue where a 'fisheye' effect would become visible on some levels.
Fixed an issue where playing campaigns from levels other than the first would cause problems.
Jacket: Fixed mask consistency when traveling between floors.
Jacket: Fixed various bugs with the silenced uzi.
Jacket: Fixed various bugs with 'Rip & Steal'.
'Miami' and 'Florida' now default to their actually correct denominations.
Improved behaviour on lower resolutions and different display modes.
Other minor bug fixes.

Awesome, let's try it out! Can't wait WHY CAN'T I EDIT OR SAVE MY LEVELS PROPERLY ANYMORE WHAT THE gently caress

A month's worth of work on that campaign is loving GONE.

EDIT: So I guess I'm going to have to nuke two of these levels and remake them in order to get the system to work properly but still what the gently caress.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 26, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They said at the start that none of the levels were guaranteed to work beyond the initial release. That's your own fault for treating a beta like a finished product. Doing anything but getting in there, loving around with the systems, and making some small stuff you don't actually care about to test ideas is only something a crazy person would do at this point. Until it's out it's not something you should be using seriously.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Speaking of fan campaigns, there's a pretty impressive looking one in the works by some folk on reddit.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/midnight-animal/news/update-0210

It's very impressive; The guys making it added new sprites, weapons, enemy types and mask powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbf2zPbk5pY

I can't speak for the actual quality as it's not done yet, but you've got to admit that all the new features are pretty impressive.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Speaking of fan campaigns, there's a pretty impressive looking one in the works by some folk on reddit.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/midnight-animal/news/update-0210

It's very impressive; The guys making it added new sprites, weapons, enemy types and mask powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbf2zPbk5pY

I can't speak for the actual quality as it's not done yet, but you've got to admit that all the new features are pretty impressive.

Yep, for Hotline 1 too, probably easier to mod that. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/dpunktw/status/685221753350713345

New features in next week's editor update but no info on them.

My theory? Meth labs and characters starting with the correct items.

My hope? Halfsize walls and doors that are hinged to the right.

• Locked thread