Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

in 2016 the skunkrocker thread continues to stagger on, despite the best efforts of the hotline miami devs to kill it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
While we await the new editor update, I've been loving with replacing sprites in the wad editor. Seems straight forward enough honestly. If you have a grip on using any kind of image editing software that can save to 24 bit PNG you've got the ability to create your own sprites in Hotline Miami 2. The patchwads make it really easy to have individual levels have their own sprites as well, although due to the file structure of campaigns I'm not sure if it translates well there; haven't found out yet. But I will.

The problem is much like the editor itself it is marred with problems I can't for the life of me figure out. Since the wad editor (HLM WAD Explorer 0.9.0, for those playing at home) isn't created by the devs it does have some drawbacks.
Such as you can't do anything except replace an existing sprite and I mean replace, as in that mother fucker had better be the same size. Also, if you have about eighty five billion sprites you're replacing for your modification you better add everything single one of those loving things to the file at once because reopening a patchwad file and then saving causes anything you didn't replace right then and there to get nulled out. This seems to be a programming error, probably easily fixable if I had to guess what the issue was. What's weird about this is then the game still thinks you replaced the file, so those sprites aren't invisible. Rather than crashing, HLM2 just replaces the sprites with big black blocks. That's good to know.

But all the frustration is kind of worth it, as replacing sprites lets you do some cool poo poo like this:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbQgXeY_zi4

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

makes just about as much sense as hotline miami

also what the gently caress

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

in 2016 the skunkrocker thread continues to stagger on, despite the best efforts of the hotline miami devs to kill it off

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
More Midnight Animal news, including the fact that :siren: with the permission of both Dennis Wedin and Jonaton Soderstrom, Midnight Animal has been Greenlit on Steam!:siren

http://www.moddb.com/mods/midnight-animal/news/update-037

If you like Hotline Miami even a little bit, check this out, it's not just an ideas guy. It's actually happening.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 3, 2016

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I think I'm pretty stoked.

I kind of want the Hotline Miami developer to hand the keys to these people and move on to different things, he seems cool

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Thought about playing this game again, eventually settled on no, gently caress it. Anyone made any good custom Beard levels? They were my favorite part until I realized you could actually get more ammo and it wasn't a crazy resource-preserving jungle hunt.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Party Hard is the $8 tier in the Humble Weekly Bundle, in case you wanted an alright game that really wishes it could be as cool and stylish as Hotline Miami is.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Thought about playing this game again, eventually settled on no, gently caress it. Anyone made any good custom Beard levels? They were my favorite part until I realized you could actually get more ammo and it wasn't a crazy resource-preserving jungle hunt.

I haven't, because the Soldier levels weren't my favorites, but I'm sure there are a butt ton on Reddit.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Level Editor Beta [Update History & Release Notes]
March 1st, 2016 - Patch #2
Added free rotation for furniture (use Mouse Wheel)
Added elevators
Added an option to move the player when transitioning between floors
Added breakable walls, mirrored doors, banisters and invisible walls.
Added support for entry points that cannot be crossed until the level is complete.
Added the wave background
Fixed an issue where cutscenes would sometimes transfer to other levels.
Fixed perk selection when starting from vehicle for all characters.
Fixed various character/enemy related bugs; please let us know if you still see any faulty deaht animation sprites appear!
Increased performance.
Improved stability.
Possibly more...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I am glad that the level editor did not end up as vapourware.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
As someone who wasn't interested in the level editor I am glad that development on it hasn't died, just because a lot of people want it, and when it's eventually done Dennaton can make something that is not Hotline Miami!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Heyoooooooo here's a Kickstarter to give the first game's soundtrack the same treatment as the second game's vinyl collector's edition https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lacedrecords/hotline-miami-collectors-edition-vinyl?token=5166816f

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Pirate Jet posted:

Heyoooooooo here's a Kickstarter to give the first game's soundtrack the same treatment as the second game's vinyl collector's edition https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lacedrecords/hotline-miami-collectors-edition-vinyl?token=5166816f

Almost funded too. Getting right on top of this poo poo, that's too cool. :3:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pirate Jet posted:

Sold. I have the second game's vinyl already and love it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I hate myself for missing out on the HLM2 vinyl, not gonna miss out on this one!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Did the vinyl, really tempted to bump up to the next tier to get the front cover poster as well. Either way, gonna look great next to my collectors set of 2. Now if that fuckin' Gamers Edition thing would just ship.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's been over a year since the game came out and the level editor is still in beta. :nallears:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Coming summer 2015

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just to put it in perspective it was about 30 months between the first and second game

How the gently caress did they make the hlm2 levels

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
That is some ridiculously intense cover art. :stare:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

UIApplication posted:

Just to put it in perspective it was about 30 months between the first and second game

How the gently caress did they make the hlm2 levels

Level editors aren't actually used by devs when building the game.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Improbable Lobster posted:

Level editors aren't actually used by devs when building the game.

Unless they were building the levels in textedit they must've had some sort of tools

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

UIApplication posted:

Unless they were building the levels in textedit they must've had some sort of tools

Yeah but its pretty common for dev tools to be too hard to use or "unrefined" for the unwashed masses, so public tools usually take custom development. Very common.

Also I wouldn't be surprised at all if half of HM2 was made in notepad.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's also a difference between having the tools to patch a new level into the game and the tools to mod a new level into the game

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

So the new editor update that Anatharon posted about here...

Anatharon posted:

Added breakable walls, mirrored doors, banisters and invisible walls.

The invisible walls are my favorite thing ever. They block line of sight for enemies but not the player. You can now make it to where enemies can't see you halfway across the goddamn map, which makes me wonder why Dennaton didn't use these in their actual levels.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Introducing Street Trash, a Fans level.

The Fans favorite target has set up shop in a local scrap yard. Go inside and murder everyone. Simple, right? Tight corners and a maze like layout make it not so much.

Difficulty is based entirely on which Fan you choose, with terrible Tony basically being nigh impossible (though doable) yet Mark making this level trivial.

Get it here!

Screenshots:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

So, yeah... here's some new news.

- MA might be getting delayed. Gamemaker is apparently being an rear end in a top hat to Spencer.
- Workshop is up, I think the Editor is still in Beta though? Dennaton isn't saying anything about it though. I think they gave up on it.
- Yossarian the Assyrian has several guides on hacking in HLM2 game elements into editor levels using a hex editor. These tricks are buggy and crashy as all get out, but when they work they add that extra effort that makes levels shine brighter. It's really cool stuff.

That's all from the Skunkrocker thread, back to you Down Jacket Fetish

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The workshop stuff is cool. Someone remade the entire first episode of Doom as a campaign for it.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
It now appears that the level editor has left beta.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Abstraction are the only ones who give a poo poo apparently, Cactus and the other guy stopped caring. I guess so, anyway, because the editor got this update out of beta and it's still broken as all gently caress.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Midnight Animal is now cancelled, as the developer is sick of spending so much time on it, among other issues.

:rip:

Skunkrocker posted:

Abstraction are the only ones who give a poo poo apparently, Cactus and the other guy stopped caring. I guess so, anyway, because the editor got this update out of beta and it's still broken as all gently caress.

Can't say I blame them. The level editor was really just a bonus and they probably want to move on to other stuff.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Midnight Animal is now cancelled, as the developer is sick of spending so much time on it, among other issues.

I wrote this huge rant but you know what? Not worth it. I'll just say this, I worked on Midnight Animal with Spencer as an unpaid contributor of sprites. So, yeah, it breaks my heart to no end to see this happen for more than one reason. And he says, ya know, he's just taking a break, but... gently caress it. :smith:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Midnight Animal being cancelled is a real shame. I can't blame Cactus & Other Guy for tapping out of the level editor, just because it definitely expanded beyond the scope of what they are comfortable making. I'm glad they stuck with it for as long as they did, though.

Sorry to hear about that Skunkrocker. :(

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Quick question - what does the special edition of Hot Line Miami 2 do? Can it be undone or it a special edition in the George Lucas sense?

edit: I meant 2

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 25, 2016

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Quick question - what does the special edition of Hot Line Miami do? Can it be undone or it a special edition in the George Lucas sense?

The SE includes the soundtrack, and at some point the game was reworked on to a new engine. I'm fairly sure the Steam release lets you pick between old and new for the minor gameplay differences.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Dewgy posted:

The SE includes the soundtrack, and at some point the game was reworked on to a new engine. I'm fairly sure the Steam release lets you pick between old and new for the minor gameplay differences.

What about 2 that's what I meant to ask.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

What about 2 that's what I meant to ask.

That just includes the soundtrack and some bonus stuff for Payday 2, no other differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
:rip: Midnight Animal and the level editor, you were too much of a timesink

• Locked thread