Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbxZHQfyhj8

Cactus posted this fan trailer on his twitter the other day. It's surprisingly well made.

He also mentioned something about a Humble Indie Bundle bonus level, anyone know what it is?

Oh, and rewatching the Rezzed levels at 7:10 I noticed something:
http://youtu.be/beUrlDwf56w?t=7m10s

Tony doesn't seem to be there, but the mysterious driver is.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Cactus posted this fan trailer on his twitter the other day. It's surprisingly well made.

He also mentioned something about a Humble Indie Bundle bonus level, anyone know what it is?

The driver just looks like a fatter version of the guy with the swan mask. Maybe it's the butcher. v:geno:v

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Tony probably isn't there because he's one of the two selectable characters for the level, so it'd just be easier and quicker to have three other guys rather than need to make the animations for two different sprites and swap them out depending on which one is used.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

Anatharon posted:

Oh my god, that second song sounds so much like Midnight City that it hurts. I can't stop laughing at that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
After listening to Sexualizer I can safely say this will be goty 2013. So loving good.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 29, 2013

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Panda_Tank posted:

Uh, wait whats your problem with game soundtracks?? My own music player is filled with game music mostly because it helps me visualize and focus as an artist. I have the whole Hotline Miami OST too. All the music i have serves that purpose to help me with my art (each track usually has a different mood).

I just want to say this is absolutely true and its because many of the tracks are designed to keep you focused so that you can keep dying over and over again but never be taken out of the experience by the music. This makes them absolutely great for drawing along to - they're lively enough so as not to be draining, but if you have to focus on some fine detail or tricky angles you don't have to stop working to pause it. I've found that the Super Meat Boy soundtrack has the same effect for similar reasons.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
As of today or yesterday, HLM got Steam Trading cards so get back to doing terrible things for an intangible reward. :toot:

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Has it been confirmed whether or not Jacket or Biker are coming back for HM2 or has that been addressed yet?

Also, while replaying the first game to see the true ending legitimately I discovered for the first time that the game has a lock on feature. Good god I feel like an idiot for beating it last time with manual aim, this plays so much better now.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Satanos posted:

Has it been confirmed whether or not Jacket or Biker are coming back for HM2 or has that been addressed yet?

Also, while replaying the first game to see the true ending legitimately I discovered for the first time that the game has a lock on feature. Good god I feel like an idiot for beating it last time with manual aim, this plays so much better now.

The tutorial mentions it but then again the tutorial sucks.

Jacket's been confirmed as coming back, as a non-playable character of some kind. I've tried to pester Cactus about our lovable Biker friend but Cactus wouldn't say anything.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

As long as they're not brought back solely to be killed off. I despise when that happens.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Responding to a post from the end of the previous thread -

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

What the hell is going on? Did the first 2/3rds of the game not actually happen or something? Who were the guys in the dark room with the animal masks on?

The first question is the subject of much discussion and has no real answer.

The second is a bit more cogent. each of the people in the dark room seems to represent a part of Jacket's mind, either as a product of his general drug-addled madness, part of a coma fantasy, or some kinda surreal David Lynch spirit guides. They are there to give you things to think about.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

So what does the representative mafia-Owl being dead in the later Bug Room episode represent?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

scamtank posted:

So what does the representative mafia-Owl being dead in the later Bug Room episode represent?

Well, if you want my reading - The Story begins with Jacket in the hospital after he gets shot, the Bug Room is his mind slowly cobbling itself back together. The three people are each there to remind him of something important - who he is, who he 'loves', and who he hates. It doesn't take long to remember his enemies. The Owl dies when it's no longer needed.

The early levels are him reliving events as he recovers from his wounds, with the people in the Bug Room checking up on him regularly to walk him through it. The weirdness is some blend of drug, dream, and general surreal tone of the game. Once they've come full circle to the gunshot in the apartment, we're back up to speed. Jacket now knows what he needs to do, wakes from his coma and gets down to business. (Note- we stop getting any intermissions or dream-stuff after Trauma. We're awake now. This is real.) Then he goes on his big vengeance rampage that doesn't get him any answers, but gets as close to closure as he wants.

PhoneHom could have gone either way in this. Jacket could easily re-imagine himself as the winner of that fight when looking back, even if he really limped home after getting a face-full of boot. Failing to stop the biker could even be what got Richter sent after him.

The great thing about a work that leaves stuff up in the air rather than spelling it out is that there's room for lots of thoughts to work.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Well, if you want my reading -
PhoneHom could have gone either way in this. Jacket could easily re-imagine himself as the winner of that fight when looking back, even if he really limped home after getting a face-full of boot. Failing to stop the biker could even be what got Richter sent after him.

The great thing about a work that leaves stuff up in the air rather than spelling it out is that there's room for lots of thoughts to work.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. Why else would they send Richter after him, unless they were scared he was too good at killing or something? The mob hadn't been wiped out yet and he was still going strong, or so it seemed.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone tell me the best mask to use for mission 11 (Deadline) in the first game? It's starting to piss me off and I'd like to be able to move on so I can get more story.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone tell me the best mask to use for mission 11 (Deadline) in the first game? It's starting to piss me off and I'd like to be able to move on so I can get more story.

All Tony, all the time.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

You could probably get good mileage out of any of 'em, but Tony or Graham (you'll need the walking speed later in the level) are good bets.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 25, 2013

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

You could probably get good mileage out of any of 'em, but Tony or Willem are good bets.

Turns out I was wrong it was actually mission 10 (still Deadline though) and much to my surprise Tony (and a liberal helping of guns, much to my shame as I try to melee as much as possible) got me through it. Now I'm on like 13 or something, this game needs to be longer. Hopefully the sequel is as good.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

When it comes to masks, everything just feels gimmicky and situational compared to faster movement.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Pharmaskittle posted:

When it comes to masks, everything just feels gimmicky and situational compared to faster movement.

Being able to instakill people by opening doors on them is extraordinarily useful in certain levels

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Not getting killed by dogs was immensely helpful at least once too.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

This is the sound of someone who has never used Zack to string combos between every single living thing on multiple floors.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Unicorn mask is also ridiculously good if you're just trying to beat a level instead of racking up points,

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I can see the dog thing being cool, and yeah I just mean for beating levels if you're having trouble.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I have to say, getting A+ on every level in the first game was a lot of fun. In some of the levels it's really easy and in some other ones it's extremely difficult and it will force you to play like a reckless psychopath to keep your combo going. There isn't really anything as satisfying as getting a 15x combo.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
I really really like the fast movement masks, but I really prefer Jake over them. It's my go-to mask for wanting to clear a level quick and easy now and it just feels weird playing without it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I have to say, getting A+ on every level in the first game was a lot of fun. In some of the levels it's really easy and in some other ones it's extremely difficult and it will force you to play like a reckless psychopath to keep your combo going. There isn't really anything as satisfying as getting a 15x combo.

I got A+ in nearly every stage on the first try simply by not using weapons and beating everyone up unarmed, usually the boldness score alone was enough to get the highest rank. It finally stopped being that easy somewhere in the last couple of stages, though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I love the Chameleon. It's amazing how being just slightly harder to notice changes your playstyle so much; I became a lot more prone to blitzing through the levels and charging in heedlessly when I got it.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

When it comes to the more obscure masks, I like Dennis because starting with the knife(a deceptively good and speedy weapon) means you can really tear into the start of a level without having to do as much planning or waiting for patrol routes to line up. Tony does similar, sure, but the knife feels even faster to me and can be thrown if you need to.

That said, Willem technically sounds like it could be really cool and maybe change your strategy and gameplay a bit by instantly equipping a weapon from someone you punch, but I've never played it enough to get used to it.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Midnight Raider posted:

When it comes to the more obscure masks, I like Dennis because starting with the knife(a deceptively good and speedy weapon) means you can really tear into the start of a level without having to do as much planning or waiting for patrol routes to line up. Tony does similar, sure, but the knife feels even faster to me and can be thrown if you need to.

That said, Willem technically sounds like it could be really cool and maybe change your strategy and gameplay a bit by instantly equipping a weapon from someone you punch, but I've never played it enough to get used to it.

If you punch you'll just knock them down. I'm not sure what it is on a keyboard but with a 360 controller you have to push A to kill them and steal their weapon.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Space bar.

I wish wearing Ted meant you didn't have to kill the dogs, since they leave you alone, but I guess that wouldn't really be Jacket.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can anyone tell me what "Dangerous Pickup" is? I've gotten it four times now when it adds up stuff at the end of a level but I have no idea what I did.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

"Dangerous Pickup" and "Severe Exposure" are big point bonuses you can only get near the end of a stage (the last few guys) if I remember. I think Pickup is for weapon swapping while exposed and exposure is for, well, you can guess that one.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Delaio posted:

"Dangerous Pickup" and "Severe Exposure" are big point bonuses you can only get near the end of a stage (the last few guys) if I remember. I think Pickup is for weapon swapping while exposed and exposure is for, well, you can guess that one.

Ahh, I always just referred to it as running around panicking while grabbing whatever was nearby.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
PS3 and Vita versions were patched today. The glitched trophies Dog Lover and Let In Some Air are now achievable.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Has there been any news about the Steam update adding leaderboards coming out of beta? I want to show off but I'm afraid of losing my progress, as has apparently happened to some people.

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

Midnight Raider posted:

I'll always pick a character boosting mask over an item mask, because once you use it up or lose it you might as well be wearing Richard.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PC Gamer did a preview and...um...well...

quote:

Finishing up the tutorial, I’m certain that I’m playing more of the game I like – no – love. I’ve wiped the place of guys, watched them crawl around hopelessly in their own guts. I get to the final room. There’s a girl that it seems germane to hit like the other dudes. ‘FINISH HER’, the game says: I feel conflicted, but it’ll be over soon. I stroll up to finish the job. Instead, the control is taken from me by the game, and my character, the Pig Butcher, pins her down and drops his trousers.

I’m on the show floor at Rezzed 2013. It’s a place where I feel welcome, a quiet place where my friends and colleagues chat smiling in low voices, but now a sense of alienation is creeping over me.

I feel resentment. This is what those hordes of gamers who constantly hound the academic Anita Sarkeesian, creator of Tropes vs Women in Video Games barrage her mailbox with. Whelps of wretched stomach lining. This is how they feel when someone points out that games are sexist. ‘This is it,’ I think. ‘I am feeling betrayal. I feel betrayed by something I love. I feel betrayed.’

Stay with me while I dissect these feelings, feelings I do not want: I certainly want someone to blame for this betrayal, because it hurts that something I enjoy so much would be this problematic, so upsetting. I’d like to blame Sarkeesian for making me aware that this happens in the games I like – but it isn’t her fault that I am aware. And it starts to make me feel incredibly hypocritical: you liked the violence, I think. You liked, as the game says, hurting people. Why do you feel ugly now, for playing a game where your character rapes a woman? It isn’t even graphic, but implied. These are pixels, Cara. Just pixels.

But it’s because I identify as a woman. The woman in this game was exoticised by her tokenism. No male character in this scenario was singled out for rape. It has made my safe space – where I am a powerful thug who isn’t accountable to anyone – no longer safe. I have been forced to identify with the one person the game has given no agency. My agency has been removed not only from Pig Butcher, but agency was never given to the woman I now identify with – not even AI. Your arsenal has expanded. Hotline Miami manages to convey seediness well in two dimensions. The colour palette’s the same, too.

How can you enjoy yourself in a game if you are the victim of every brutal crime, and not the perpetrator of them? A horrible question – but it’s about freedom, power, and who gets to have those things. The sexual violence at the end of that tutorial will single out a fifth of the female audience who have experienced sexual violence. I’m thinking about them when I turn back to the game.

Pig Butcher drops his trousers, and the director at the side of the screen yells “cut”. “Pig Man, well done, but don’t be afraid to be rougher. And you there, blondie – you need to work on your femininity. Act more helpless and scared. You know, more girly.”

But this framing comes too late. Hotline Miami 2 has already used her for shock and power. Videogame women don’t get very many other roles to play but the helpless damsel. I played the rest of the excellently constructed murder simulator demo in silence, and left feeling uncertain of why I was so upset. It was because I was manipulated.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

There's been video of this sequence in the OP since this thread was made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beUrlDwf56w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I'm very, very skeptical of any piece of media that uses sexual violence for shock value or to elicit an emotional response. Unless done expertly, it comes off as cheap and puerile, and I'm sorry to say I don't have high hopes for Hotline Miami 2's ability to pull it off. I can't make a judgement until the game is actually out, but Ellison's impression is very worrying.

• Locked thread