Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
He raises an excellent point about the limited agency of women in games, and at least he acknowledges the hypocrisy in his desensitization, enjoyment even, of murdering masses of faceless goons and then feeling revulsion at one implied assault. It's a shame that developers are looking to sexual assault as the new quick-and-cheap conveyance of how immortal people can be.

quote:

How can you enjoy yourself in a game if you are the victim of every brutal crime, and not the perpetrator of them? A horrible question – but it’s about freedom, power, and who gets to have those things. The sexual violence at the end of that tutorial will single out a fifth of the female audience who have experienced sexual violence. I’m thinking about them when I turn back to the game.

However his erasure of male rape survivors is problematic and indicative of a society that has no bias in gender or lifestyle when it comes to rationalizing away the accountability of criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

polish sausage posted:

I agree, I think Hotline Miami would be really interesting if there was a fem-jacket running around, and I kind of have this weird reading that the stuff like the director telling the actress "to be more helpless or girly," might hint to something like that possibly being the case. Maybe wishful thinking.

I have to second the wishful thinking, but I also second the suggestion of a playable female and just some diversity in the enemies. Putting men and women on the same level of hunter and fodder rather than, I dunno, having an entire gender represented as "damsel in distress", or "strong independent woman who don't need no man", or something else cringeworthy.

• Locked thread