Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Didn't see this thread before! Cool to see a little talk about classical instruments amidst all this stuff about synthesizers and boards and pedals and whatnot.

Anyway, I play classical cello and also fiddle. I've been playing cello for about three years, though I am kind of taking a break from it now to take on fiddling. I've been fiddling for a little over two months now and it's a lot more fun than cello. Although not all the skills learned from cello are transferrable (for obvious reasons), being able to pick out sounds is fairly easy, and learning how to bow properly didn't take a whole lot of time.

It's probably cliche, but the prelude to Cello suite 1 got me into cello playing, and it remains my favorite piece to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yuR8efotI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Does anyone have experience with electric cellos? Ijust moved to New York and want to keep up with practice, but don't want to bother my neighbors.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

I got this to celebrate my move to New York (and to make sure I don't drive the neighbors crazy!)

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Is it okay to replace an entire set of violin strings by myself? I understand about keeping constant tension on the bridge, the soundpost and all that, but are there any problems with replacing all four strings that might not be immediately apparent?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

ub posted:

Should be fine, just do it one at a time. Wind the pegs carefully so it doesn't get all lovely, moving towards the outside like this. Keep an eye on your bridge during and after and if it's leaning a bit either way carefully adjust it back to perpendicular. You can do it with full tension on it, just do it carefully.

Well, I followed this advice and managed to mess it up anyway. If you can visualize this: instead of inserting a small bit of the string into the peg and winding from there, I inserted the string until it was almost taught then started winding. After that, I cut off the excess silk at the peg end. I couldn't figure out why the strings kept slipping out of the pegs :sigh:

Fortunately, violin strings are cheap.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

ub posted:

I would not have foreseen anyone doing that... but yeah they're not guitar strings: start at the very end and wind from the inside out. You should never need to trim them. I usually fiddle with how much I put through the peg to start so the peg ends up in a nice not-awkward position for tuning, but that's it. The picture I posted shows it crossing over for the first turn (presumably) to lock it in, but I've never bothered with that.

Yep. Learned my lesson and have two new strings on the way.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Has anyone ever used Perfection pegs, or any kind of mechanical pegs on an acoustic instrument? (sit down bassists, you don't count)
I can't control the temperature in my apartment and as a result my pegs slip constantly. I was thinking of having mechanical pegs installed, but I was wondering if it was worth the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
This has probably been asked a million times before, but here goes anyway: how much of a difference does bow quality make? I'm a cello player looking to upgrade my starter brazilwood bow to a pernambuco bow, but I'm really not sure how much it will affect the overall sound. I've seen youtube videos comparing bow sound, but I only hear a significant difference when they player goes from a lovely fiberglass bow to a real wood bow. Everything else sounds very same-ish.

Edit: One more thing I've been wondering: I've been using the same rosin since the very beginning. It's the Super Sensitive dark rosin that practically everyone gets in their starter outfits, but I'm wondering if I should try a different type. Does it really matter, or is it one of those things that only the pros can hear?

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 5, 2016

• Locked thread