Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

onefish posted:

Man, I love Fiona Staples' art for this series. Anyone have recommendations for other really good series or miniseries that are also good showcases for her art?

The Secret History of The Authority: Hawksmoor was her first big break. It's not a great story and I don't recall the art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Jedit posted:

On the other hand, it's The Will's ship that is in the panel of issue 1 where Hazel narrates about wheels beginning to turn that would have made Marko stay in the tunnels under Cleave if he knew about them. That issue also implies by narration that at least one of Marko and Alana dies young. Given that The Will obviously hates the harming of children, it's possible that he's involved in Marko's or Alana's death but ends up saving Hazel as well.

That line is much more likely to refer to the machinations of Wreath hierarchy to kill him and Alana rather than to The Will personally though. Of course, I also like The Will a lot so the possibility that he could join up with Marko, Alana and Hazel is something I find pretty appealing.

onefish posted:

Man, I love Fiona Staples' art for this series. Anyone have recommendations for other really good series or miniseries that are also good showcases for her art?

I don't have any recommendation, I just wanted to echo this. Saga's art is god drat magnificent.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Will and Prince Robot will each kill one of Alana and Marko and end up raising Hazel 'My Two Dads' style.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Seldom Posts posted:

The Will and Prince Robot will each kill one of Alana and Marko and end up raising Hazel 'My Two Dads' style.

And this made me think "Haha, then somebody would ship The Will and Prince Robot and there would be erotic fanart!"

And then I realized... this has to already exist, and I got sad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I just caught up! gently caress yeah, this comic is amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a customer who just won't shut the gently caress up about how he hates the artwork in Saga. Dude is pissing me off something fierce.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I have a customer who just won't shut the gently caress up about how he hates the artwork in Saga. Dude is pissing me off something fierce.

Sell him only New 52 books as punishment.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Sell him only New 52 books as punishment.

Guy like that is probably already buying them.

What the hell is there not to like about Saga's art?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Soonmot posted:

What the hell is there not to like about Saga's art?

I had this experience, the guy told me the spider lady didn't wear enough clothes and was disgracing women and the demon looking guys aren't what real demons or satyrs are supposed to be depicted like.

He also said that the humor in the books should not be there and that pretty much Deadpool should be the only guy allowed to make jokes in Comics.

He also hated Batman:Brave and the Bold and thought the depiction of Aquaman ruined the character for him.

I'm not sure if letting him live was the right thing to do, but on that day I showed him the mercy of kings.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

WendigoJohnson posted:

I had this experience, the guy told me the spider lady didn't wear enough clothes and was disgracing women and the demon looking guys aren't what real demons or satyrs are supposed to be depicted like.

Don't show him the results of the cosplay competition, then.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Man, #14 was a great issue. How can one comic be so loving hilarious and then switch gears to be equally as heartwarming like turning on a dime?

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 26, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The puking part had me in stiches.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Rhyno posted:

You should probably tell him to gently caress off. I mean, if you don't mind losing his business, that is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Just Offscreen posted:

You should probably tell him to gently caress off. I mean, if you don't mind losing his business, that is.

I wouldn't want his money. It's probably stolen anyway. I can't imagine anyone but the criminally deranged thinking like that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is this meant to run indefinitely? I know he has an ending in mind, but is that only going to happen when he feels like it, or is there a known number of issues?

Rhyno posted:

hates the artwork in Saga

LYING

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Someone should post the exchange between Sophie and Lying Cat in the touching moments thread

e: Oh snap, they already did!

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 26, 2013

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Goddamn, that page seriously made me tear up. 14 was an incredible issue, and the tension as we build back up to where 12 left off is really reaching a fever pitch -- especially with the revelation that takes place in the last two pages of this issue.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

CaptainApathyUK posted:

God I love Saga, especially the little Seal dude on Quietus. Look at him in his little boots and waders. Cute as poo poo!

Has there been any explanation for the images on the Robots' screens yet? Have I missed something in that regard?

It's actually a very similar idea as the one used in the character design for The One Electric from Rice Boy.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Bought Volume 1 on a whim after seeing folks going on and on about it. Turns out: yup it's really loving good. Ordered the second volume via Amazon immediately afterwards :toot:

Looking forward to reading more of this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Argue posted:

Is this meant to run indefinitely? I know he has an ending in mind, but is that only going to happen when he feels like it, or is there a known number of issues?
Straight from the horse's mouth:

Brian K. Vaughn posted:

Brian, your series tend to wrap with sixty issues. How far is Saga planned to go for, and where are you in the scripting process?

Brian K. Vaughan: Well, the book is called Saga, which would be a lousy title for a miniseries. If readers stick around to support us, I'm hoping the book lasts longer than Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina combined. I've already written the last page of the last issue, but I hope we won't reach that endpoint for many years to come.
http://io9.com/5934260/brian-k-vaughan-talks-saga-one-of-the-years-best-science-fiction-comics

So yeah, he has an ending in mind, but no specific timeline to reach it.

(Note there's some spoilers in that interview for a few issues ago if you're trade waiting.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Straight from the horse's mouth:

http://io9.com/5934260/brian-k-vaughan-talks-saga-one-of-the-years-best-science-fiction-comics

So yeah, he has an ending in mind, but no specific timeline to reach it.

Apart from it potentially lasting more than 114 issues, that being the combined length of Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

quote:

I've already written the last page of the last issue, but I hope we won't reach that endpoint for many years to come.

Dammit, Brian, you're gonna make me cry again, aren't you?!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Revol posted:

Dammit, Brian, you're gonna make me cry again, aren't you?!

Dude's from Cleveland. He knows pain and how to write it.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
On the topic of Saga potentially making us cry, and so we have something to maybe discuss over the next two weeks besides that #15 has what is definitively the best cover art, am I alone in worrying a lot more about the possibility of Alana dying after this last issue? The mention that she never ends up back on Landfall, but Hazel and Marko's mom do has me trying to figure out how that'd end up happening without her being unable to go, since I can't see Alana just letting her daughter go to one of the places that'd be most dangerous for her without trying to protect her herself. The fact that Marko's mom is going to end up on Landfall at some point is pretty interesting too, but I don't really have much to speculate about with regards to that.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Len posted:

Dude's from Cleveland. He knows pain and how to write it.

He's already gotten me with the last issue of Y (Ampersand!) and Pride of Baghdad (that last page hits you like a fuckton of bricks oh my god).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And *BANG* from the last Ex Machina. Yeah, he knows his thing. I do wish he didn't have an ending already planned, though, as at this stage it does sound way too early to let the story flow properly towards that end goal.

e: like, he already knows who lives, who dies, that sort of thing, which I imagine would make more sense to only figure out halfway through when the flow itself sort of takes care of it. But I never wrote a Y: The Last Man anyway, so what do I know.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 30, 2013

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Saoshyant posted:

And *BANG* from the last Ex Machina. Yeah, he knows his thing. I do wish he didn't have an ending already planned, though, as at this stage it does sound way too early to let the story flow properly towards that end goal.

e: like, he already knows who lives, who dies, that sort of thing, which I imagine would make more sense to only figure out halfway through when the flow itself sort of takes care of it. But I never wrote a Y: The Last Man anyway, so what do I know.

Having plans now doesn't mean he can't alter things as the story progresses and he's inspired. Hell the last page still even leaves a lot of things in between.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Revol posted:

He's already gotten me with the last issue of Y (Ampersand!) and Pride of Baghdad (that last page hits you like a fuckton of bricks oh my god).

Christ yeah. I knew going into Pride that it wasn't going to end happily but even then I wasn't prepared. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried at the death or Ampersand either.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
So, Pride of Baghdad. It's based on a true story, about lions from the Zoo of Baghdad that escaped during the invasion of the city. Now, in the story, the animals, they talk to each other. But it ends like the real life story does.

(Linked for spoilers if you want to later read an awesome BKV story.)

http://i.imgur.com/6zOeAEk.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/NTHyDrZ.jpg?1

I was wrong, they were the four pages before the last page, which has no words. But it's the last line of the story, that is so perfectly worded, and so devastating. I think it's really a perfect example of Vaughn's skill as a writer. He isn't predictable, and he has a really strong command of words, to get something just right. You think you're reading a story about talking animals caught in the invasion of Baghdad, and then with a fairly innocent statement, you're reminded of the human toll of war, which catches you completely off-guard.

Len posted:

Christ yeah. I knew going into Pride that it wasn't going to end happily but even then I wasn't prepared. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried at the death or Ampersand either.

But you thought you were gonna feel something about lions or some poo poo! Hah! Joke's on you!

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

RandallODim posted:

am I alone in worrying a lot more about the possibility of Alana dying after this last issue? The mention that she never ends up back on Landfall, but Hazel and Marko's mom do has me trying to figure out how that'd end up happening without her being unable to go, since I can't see Alana just letting her daughter go to one of the places that'd be most dangerous for her without trying to protect her herself. The fact that Marko's mom is going to end up on Landfall at some point is pretty interesting too, but I don't really have much to speculate about with regards to that.

He doesn't mention Marko at all in that either. Maybe both of Hazel's parents end up dying and that's why Hazel is with her grandmother on Landfall.

Bloodloss
Nov 6, 2007

Bloody fucking blood fuck.
Recently got into this series. Absolutely fantastic and it has rekindled my interest in comics -- anyone want to recommend series that are in some way comparable to Saga? The awesome setting where you never know what could happen next or who they'll meet, well-developed characters, maturity, good art, etc? I might just start by reading all of BKV's stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bloodloss posted:

Recently got into this series. Absolutely fantastic and it has rekindled my interest in comics -- anyone want to recommend series that are in some way comparable to Saga? The awesome setting where you never know what could happen next or who they'll meet, well-developed characters, maturity, good art, etc? I might just start by reading all of BKV's stuff.

Mike Carey's The Unwritten.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Seconding the Unwritten as awesome as hell.

RandallODim posted:

On the topic of Saga potentially making us cry, and so we have something to maybe discuss over the next two weeks besides that #15 has what is definitively the best cover art, am I alone in worrying a lot more about the possibility of Alana dying after this last issue? The mention that she never ends up back on Landfall, but Hazel and Marko's mom do has me trying to figure out how that'd end up happening without her being unable to go, since I can't see Alana just letting her daughter go to one of the places that'd be most dangerous for her without trying to protect her herself. The fact that Marko's mom is going to end up on Landfall at some point is pretty interesting too, but I don't really have much to speculate about with regards to that.

Doesn't Hazel mention in narration at some point that she has had conversations with her mother?

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 2, 2013

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Bloodloss posted:

Locke & Key.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Pride of Baghdad was awesome

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I really liked DMZ by Brain Wood. It's my justification for reading comics

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Not going to read this thread for fear of spoilers, but I finally found a copy of issue 10-13 so I can start catching up. Comics' publishing model really is not prepared for runaway success!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

semicolonsrock posted:

Not going to read this thread for fear of spoilers, but I finally found a copy of issue 10-13 so I can start catching up. Comics' publishing model really is not prepared for runaway success!

All those issues are still available at Diamond. Try shopping at a non lovely shop.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Just found this thread and want to echo how great Saga is as well. I have lots of non-comic reading friends and whenever someone asks me for a recommendation, this is always on the top of the list.

RandallODim posted:

I've been following BKV for a while now, and based on his past record it's safe to say that no one outside of Hazel (and even then maybe not!) is safe. He is NOT afraid to kill off a beloved character and he WILL make it logical, well written, and a piece of the greater tapestry of the story. But drat will it hurt and make me feel like calling him an rear end in a top hat. (I don't really think he's an rear end in a top hat.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Rhyno posted:

All those issues are still available at Diamond. Try shopping at a non lovely shop.

It may have been hard to find this title when it first came out, but now everyone should be prepared to stock it well.

That said, I'm missing Saga #2 or #3 I think. :(

• Locked thread