Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I just burned through the trades, and am I the only person who really doesn't find Marko and Alana that interesting? I mean, in any other comic they'd be great, but they're just massively outshined by the Will, Izabel, Prince Robot, hell even The Stalk is more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

Lying.

I do see your point, but consider who and what they are. Marko and Alana aren't anyone special. The one unique thing about them is that they've had a half-breed child who has survived more than a few days after birth - but it's Hazel who's important, not them. They're just rank and file soldiers on opposite sides of a war who found out that the enemy aren't the monsters of propaganda, then ended up playing Romeo and Juliet because Alana had read too many bad novels and fell in love with the idea of falling in love.

In short: Alana and Marko are fantastically well-portrayed because they're not interesting.

Yeah, I agree that they're incredibly well-written. I just find them a lot less compelling than everyone else in the comic regardless of how well they're portrayed, which seems like a bit of an issue given that they're ostensibly the protagonists.

I suppose we are only 12 issues in, though.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Do we know when the hiatus is ending? I seem to remember it being this month but I'm unclear on the date.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So yeah, that stuff about Marko and Alana not being interesting that I said when I was first getting into the book?

Not really true anymore.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
:tviv:

I loving love this comic.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Did you read his monologue? He's out for revenge because the lovely and unequal system hosed his son over.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The way I interpreted it was that it was long enough ago that the memory of his son literally making GBS threads himself to death kinda crowded it out.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean that spike Dengo jammed through Princess Robot's screen sure did permeate it :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Or maybe it's just based on whatever works best for the scene and there's not any rhyme or reason to robot anatomy.

• Locked thread