Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KDW
Dec 24, 2004
my title text

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Has there been any explanation for the images on the Robots' screens yet? Have I missed something in that regard?

I thought the most revealing use of it so far was when Prince Robot IV shot The Stalk. A baby rattle flashed up on his screen when he did it. It was an unstable and rash thing to do, but that one image helped make his action very understandable--she was "reaching for something," which turned out to be her phone, and his sudden flash of concern for his unborn child led him to make the decision to keep himself safe at all costs in order to keep his baby safe at all costs. We see the same idea echoed when Marko draws his sword to defend Alana and Hazel. Those two situations and the way each character handled the aftermath (Prince Robot IV immediately moves to cover it up, Marko takes steps to keep it from happening again) is a really quick and well-done way to compare and contrast those two characters.

I think it's a fascinating narrative device--rather than give him an overblown thought bubble that presents his split-second decision in rational terms, you get an image, which is much more in line with the way those intuitive subconscious leaps happen.

Jedit posted:

They only seem to appear when something triggers a subconscious reaction, and represent that reaction.

Not quite--he's able to switch it on and off, and seems aware of what it's showing. He also uses it to show a picture of another character's face when interrogating a prisoner, in an intentional "have you seen this guy" kind of way. Seems to serve multiple functions.

No idea what was going on in the opening panels of issue 12. My best guess is maybe it's another Marko parallel, a "tell him I love him" kind of thing like Marko and Gwendolyn, like maybe he's really gay and his entire life is devoted to duty, whether he's at home or in the field--producing an heir for the royal family rather than being who he is. I'd love a better explanation though.

KDW fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread