Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
:siren:First four volumes and a hardcover are out. Issue 25 is out:siren:

Saga is an ongoing comic book by Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Pride of Baghdad, Runaways) and Fiona Staples. It is wonderful! If you liked Y: The Last Man then I cannot fathom you not enjoying this book.

The Premise
Saga takes place in a vast part of the universe very far and different yet often similar to our own. It mostly revolves around the planet of Landfall and its moon Wreath which have been locked in conflict for a very long time. Understanding that neither could really destroy the other without severely damaging both worlds, Landfall and Wreath decided to co-exist in peace, but just spread their war throughout the Universe, dragging other planets and species into their conflict.

Then one of the winged ladies of Landfall and the horned magic-using fellas of Wreath fall in love, bang, and have a baby which was not even thought possible. The couple tries to escape the wrath of their people who do not want their love affair to get out.

Language and Anatopisms
One of the defining characteristics of Saga is that characters speak like average English-speakers. There are also no sci/fi substitute terms. There are schools buses, babysitters, and people complaining about not having enough bars on their mobile devices. It can be a bit jarring, but just roll with it.

Similarly, there are a lot of visual anatopisms. A toilet does not look like a space toilet. A romance novel which plays a huge role in the book looks like it was bought from Target. TVs even have composite wires just like our own. Some characters dress like they belong in Star Wars while some dress like there was a sale at Old Navy. At the same time, the comic can present really high concept worlds, characters, and inventions. The main characters fly around in a tree, and one of their main pursuers owns a cat who can always tell when people are lying.

Our Cast of Characters...

Alana
Alana the more pragmatic of the book's leading couple. She really just wants to get her daughter to a safe place. Most people underestimate her, and the book strikes a good balance of her not being this particularly amazing person while still being brave and compelling.

Marko
Marko is a lot more idealistic than Alana as he strives to be as pacifistic as possible. He's definitely the less straight forward of the two parents with more of his past revealed as the comic goes on.

Hazel
Hazel is the baby that most people did not think was actually possible. She also serves as the story's narrator, and while we don't know much about who she is in the future, she does get across a good deal of character in her narration. Spoiling it because it's such a great reveal in the first issue.

Izabel
The universe's best babysitter!

The Will
A freelancer sent to kill Marko and Alana on behalf of Wreath, The Will finds himself in some unexpected situations with past loves and his conscience often chasing after him. He also has a really cool cat.

Prince Robot IV
A royal whose people seem to have one of the closest relationships to Landfall, Prince Robot has been tasked with killing Marko and Alana. He doesn't really care about the assignment, and his main goal is just to get home to bang his robot-wife.

And even more wonderful characters who I'd love to tell you about, but you'd be better off discovering how a drunk cyclops, a six year old girl, and two amphibious journalists make this the best monthly comic on the market by yourself.

Purchasing the Comic
There are four volumes currently out. Get them: 1 2 3 4

The Hardcover covers Volumes 1-3

Buy these books and please come back to this thread to talk about it! Beware spoilers from this point on!

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
By peace, I just mean that neither is attacking the actual homeworlds which are in spitting distance of one another.

The Court of Fairies stuff is interesting though!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I love Saga and I'm not buying trades since this is something that deserves hardcovers. Digital will do until then.
I really like having the trades since it's been really great to share this comic with other people. I haven't had a book that I could so confidently hand over to people since Scott Pilgrim.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 6, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I agree. I think the depiction of their romance really hits the right midway point between mature and earnest. I really related to Alana just talking about how beautiful she finds Marko. She obviously gets that he can be an idiot sometimes, but it's interesting that I rarely see fictional characters in love talk about just how in awe they are that this other person is in their life without it sounding creepy and/or naive. I will say that Alana and Marko are definitely still in the honeymoon portion of their relationship which makes them having a baby and committed to each other an interesting dynamic, but I don't buy them being in love for the sake of being in love.

EDIT: Also, new issue tomorrow :D

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Avulsion posted:

The lack of gay sex kind of ruins it.
If it's the guy I saw, the TV was actually changing images throughout the show.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm really afraid that it's becoming pretty evident that Alana is going to die. There seem to be more references to Marko in the future with references to him being a bit of a ladies' man. There is also the comment about Alana never going to Landfall again.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Revol posted:

I think it would be interesting if they went through this entire story with a main character that, because of the narrator, we know will die. But I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen (if it does at all) until the last issue.

(I haven't read today's issue, my store didn't have a copy for me.)
Well, I thought that the "Not everyone is so lucky." line at the end of the first issue implied that Alana or Marko will definitely die.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I have a feeling that there might be a time jump after these next two issues. It feels like most of the plot threads set-up in the first issue are really coming together, especially with The Will's Crew and Robot about to collide. Hazel's narration has also given me the impression that we'll eventually see her when she's older.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Finally read issue 17. That was pretty rough. Regarding The Will, I feel like he's the more likely than Heist to be the one who gets to live, but I also have the sneaking suspicion that Sophie might actually be The Will that Hazel was referring too. Part of this is that I kind of expect the book to jump around in time, and give us a progressively older Hazel. It feels like a leap, but him advising her on money made me imagine Sophie becoming a Freelancer in her future.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

onefish posted:

GodDAMN this is a great comic. Did Y: the Last Man feel this amazing month-to-month? I read Y all in one go and loved it, but practically every single issue of Saga is a stunner.
I think Y drags a little bit in the middle, but for the most part BKV has an amazing balance on books that work equally well for the trade and the single issues. He definitely knows how to seed in these short term rewards and character beats that keep you engaged for the long road ahead. I will say that the most powerful moment and payoff in Y is Yorick realizing that Alter wants to die. That's something at the end of the book, and I think it already pales in comparison to the weight of the reveal about Prince Robot's sexy vision.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I actually got a bit emotional at that scene. Part of it was that I was impressed at the payoff of the orgy. I didn't event think there was going to be a payoff to that. But it also just reminds you how tragic all of this is. Prince Robot doesn't want to hurt anyone. He just wants to gently caress his wife and raise his kid. All of the bad things he does are for that. Sex is just the most literal interpretation of the need and want to connect with others as war is the most literal interpretation of the need to destroy others.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
While I get waiting for collections, I'll say reading this as a monthly is a joy. Every first page is amazing and every issue is really filling.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The cover for #19 has me so excited. It pretty much confirms that they're going to join the acting troupe.

Also, for those following month to month, remember May 21st is the return date.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Do we know when the hiatus is ending? I seem to remember it being this month but I'm unclear on the date.
I've been keeping the OP updated with the new issue and hiatus dates.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think there is a good chance that Marko is going to cheat on Alana. Hazel mentions something effect that Marko always did well or charmed ladies. Since we still have the implication that one of the parents is going to die from the first issue, I thought that was possibly foreshadowing Marko as a widower. But we now have Marko as a dude who's wandered from his last fiance and is feeling a bit inadequate.

The last line hit me hard, but I'm okay with it. I think they're definitely going to break up. During the earlier conception scene, Hazel says, "My mom and dad used to have sex."

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Jesus Christ, I really did not expect the turn this book took. I think it's pretty clear how a lot of the plot seeds are going to develop and I'm both excited and full of dread.

Two things that stood out to me: I like how they show the balloon flash on Dengo's screen. You think you know what it means, but then you get the actual explanation. I also want a print of the gently caress YES page.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be fair, Dengo might both be a little crazy and using his son as a justification for things he does more than anything else. It's hard to tell as we don't know much about him. I imagine we'll get some background to justify how he was able to act as such an effective assassin, killing so many guards. I do like the implication that the poorer robots don't have the internal weapons that other blue-bloods have.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I have a feeling that he might end up being like Frank Castle where the trigger and his reason are two different things.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Shitshow posted:

Prince Robot IV will probably be headed to Gardenia in pursuit of his son, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have to split up to save Hazel (as one poster already mentioned).
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Robot IV became part of their crew or at least helps them in some way. He had his revelation about the opposite of war and he's now going to learn what it means to do anything to protect your child. But, more than that, his wife is dead because he wasn't there. I can see him turning on Landfall for putting him on the mission to begin with.

Also, good riddance, Mama Sun.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

but then how did Dengo's son (definitely a non-aristo) get robot dysentery?
I believe the princess was also nursing when Dengo came in.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Guys, like the first pic in this thread is of Prince Robot taking a dump. Robots pooping is canon.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, i don't think it's that complicated. Some robots can morph their arms into cannons. I guess they also morph their faces to produce a tiny orifice for food.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be fair, I think it's very purposeful. Seeing the robots have sex, nurse, and poop are things that you could definitely avoid showing and the fact that the robots do those things makes them much more intriguing. I personally imagine them being a species that merged with technology, but when they did so, created a clear caste system in terms of ability that led to society regressing to a feudal system. But I hope their origin is never explored.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
By the way, hardcover is coming out for November.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really hope they chose that cover to gently caress with the people who got all outraged at the first issue cover. :laffo:
They did!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Man, did everything happen in this issue.

I absolutely love you can tell so much by looking at a TV alien guy. They are the true epitome of a caste based society where you can tell their purpose from their appearance alone. There's no mistake who is king and who is janitor there.
I keep trying to convince my friends to read the single issues as opposed to the trades. Every issue is just so rich, rewarding, and perfectly constructed.

As for content, I actually really like the idea of Marko and Alana breaking-up because it really changes the story thematically. If Alana and Marko are soulmates then the story becomes one about true love conquering war and hatred. The problem with that theme is that it's setting a high standard for what can overcome war. If you don't fall in love with someone then you're poo poo out of luck. You might as well keep killing unless you find Mr/Ms. Right.

Marko and Alana breaking up makes the story about two people who chose something else--anything else--besides war. It goes along with Robot's vision. They chose the opposite of war, to connect with another person as literally as possible. If they stay together or not is irrelevant. Even if their relationship was imperfect, it still yielded life--both figuratively and literally--as opposed to war that only brings death.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

goldenoreos posted:

Saga 23 makes me hope for a Marko and Prince Robot team-up in the next few issues.
Hazel's wording of villains turned heroes being "pretty loving rare" implied to me that Prince Robot was one of the few examples of that being the case.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Small little thing I noticed on the reread. It's poo poo that kills Dengo's son and poo poo that confirms IV's son still being alive.

By the way, does anyone think Alana might end up being sympathetic to Dengo?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I never noticed that Sophie cat is referring to LC's color.

Both panels are amazing though. The sweet one made me cry, and the badass one made me throw my arms up in the air in glee.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
What's sort of tragic is that it really seemed like Prince Robot was going to have a change of heart. I feel like there is another way things could have gone down in which Prince Robot would have been a champion for people like Dengo.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Over in ADTRW we are doing a "cultural" exchange so to speak and recommending comic books. I posted about Saga but the Saga discussion has picked up. I posted a link to the scene with Sophie and Lying Cat...here is the response (from the anime forum no less)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701793&pagenumber=3#post442419432
To be fair, that scene really doesn't work so well out of context. I mean, I know you explain things, but that scene is the first time Sophie is really a character. And it's a huge payoff for LC's whole shtick. Part of what makes it so powerful is that you really wouldn't think that "Lying" could reduce you to tears.

And I think that goes for a lot of Saga. You have to just read it to get how amazing it is. I don't even know how to sell it to people because "starcrossed lovers in space" just doesn't sound all that interesting. It's just a matter of everything coming together so well.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
As much as it's not a great comic, Walking Dead will probably get credit for sparking the Image Renaissance. Rightfully so, even if it took ten years for that comic to do so.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I wonder if IV is going to appropriate Dengo's cause. There really doesn't seem to be much hope of him returning to his old life. His best chance of survival might actually be leading a coup against his father and the wings. Riling up the poor would be the best way to do that.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

One thing, though. When Robot's son is born, the attending nurse says that the baby's name is Prince Robot IV, the same as his dad's. And then IV's brother's name was Duke. I really wonder how the naming scheme goes. Up till now I'd thought the IV meant that he was the fourth prince out of four or more brothers, or that his dad is King Robot III, but now I'm not so sure. Or maybe King Robot is the third, and IV is the crown prince and therefore the successor of the name? But then that makes it seem really weird that the crown prince was fighting right on the front lines of some other power's war (even if they are an ally) and outside of a headline in a newspaper we didn't see any huge reaction to him going missing without warning.

What I'm saying is that the robots are great because they are people with TV heads but they are also really confusing.
It would make sense for the IV to be related to how far from the crown you are. Prince Robot IV dies, so his son becomes the new IV.

As far as it being weird for IV to fight in the war, I feel like Vaughn was drawing inspiration from Prince Harry who served in Afghanistan although history is full of royalty who served. In general though, remember that the Robots live in the same solar system as the Wings and Horns. The Robots can't afford to not ally with someone, especially when neutrality seems to not be an option. As much as the Robots and Wings act like equals, I think it's clear who has the upper hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Lying.

• Locked thread