Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Been noticing a lot of DC MD and VA goon riders posting lately. Post info here for group rides, events or just hang outs.

Let me know if you want to be added to the OP list of local riders.

Bike: 08 Ninja 250
Years ridden: 1 year
Down for: group rides, trips to Summit Point, any type of meetup, local car/bike shows

Blank template:

Years ridden:
Down for:

:siren:DMV goon riders:siren:

hot sauce – Chinatown
kedo – Rosslyn
Koruthaiolos – Mount Rainier
M42 – West Alexandria
Mr. Eric Praline – Springfield
HNasty – somewhere way the gently caress out in VA
KaiserBen – Merrifield
Schreibs – Montgomery County
Adiabatic - Richmond VA
TapTheForwardAssist - Adams Morgan/Columbia Heights
cornbread jones - Petworth
ought ten - Shaw
taketheshot - Baltimore
CheeseSpawn - Fairfax
McLarenF1 - Rockville
ohwandernearer - Baltimore
Royale with Cheese - Leonardtown MD
GnarlyCharlie4u - Gainesville/Woodbridge/Falls Church VA
Ernie Luckman - Bethesda MD
lowcrabdiet -
Matthew Bueller - VA
Miskatonic U. - Arlington
The_Maz -
codered11343 - Bethesda

:siren:Favorite rides:siren:

:tutbutt:M42'S rear end DESTROYER/HNASTY'S DESTROYED rear end -submitted by M42
https://goo.gl/maps/1XYszUW54h22

feat. 211, 33, 55, 250 - garbage food, cool sights, caves, rocks n poo poo (better description coming soon)

:gizz:Koru's Ball Wash -submitted by Koruthaiolos
https://goo.gl/maps/pz6oGxcCkQ12

Starting in Potomac, the route takes some light gravel roads to White's Ferry and then some more around Sugar Loaf Mtn. Nothing any normal streetbike can't handle, but fun to mess around on anyways. Then you ride over to the inperation for the name, a pretty good creek crossing where Old Baltimore Rd crosses Tenmile Creek. If you hit it above about 15 mph you'll get a good cleaning to get rid of any dust you gathered during the gravel stretches. Then you can stop at the turn off next to the bridge over Little Seneca to dry yourself off in the sun.

:hampants:BBQ Fingers -submittd by HNasty
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?...NO0&usp=sharing

Description in annotations. Includes Pit Stop BBQ (go eat there now)

"The Track"
coming soon

Easy Southern MD Ride
coming soon

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So far combined we have 1 literbike :negative:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Koruthaiolos posted:

250 supremacy?

Oh, I forgot to mention, if anybody knows of any nearby dirt/gravel roads let me know. I'd like to start getting my feet wet but would rather not need to trek out to West Virginia/Western Virginia to do so.

Hell yeah, no behemoth's to slow us down in the twistys.

Not really familiar with dirt but I have been to Budds Creek aka Maryland International Raceway. They have 2 dirt tracks for motocross riding and a quarter mile asphalt track. It's about an hour south of Mt Rainer.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

For you city kids, this is what is out in the country if you ever come out this way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvybdQjZHLg&hd=1

That looks fuckin amazing. Count me in for a ride out there.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Saw what looked like a bad accident last night near the 395 exit on Mass Ave NW. They blocked off the road for a bit and there were at least 10 police vehicles. People standing around said it was motorcycle vs cabbie :(

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

So, anyone have any good local ride routes and destinations? I much prefer to have *somewhere* to ride to, even if it's just a coffee shop or bbq joint or something at the end of the twisty roads.

Maybe we can get a local goon ride together once this goddamn rain passes.

Not sure on great routes just yet but count me in the first sunny weekend we get (Sunday?) If there are any cool spots down in VA by you, I'd be down to meet you in Alexandria and take it from there.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

Would definitely be down for Sunday, even if there's a thunderstorm or two. hot sauce we can hook up in Chinatown on the way out to VA.

Hell yeah, let's do it. You fine with meeting on H st NW in front of the CVS? There's usually no traffic in the morning and you can get right onto 395 South from there. I can PM you my # and we can figure out a time depending on weather closer to the weekend.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

If any of y'all go riding with HNasty, you've got to vlog it

I've got a gopro mount on my helmet and can point it at him. All I know is that his avatar is mesmerizing :gay:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

If yall suckas can make it the gas station at the end of M street in G-Town I can pick you city boys up and take you to VA. We can do Georgetown pike and if you guys have all day to ride I can take you to the country. Or even better would be if you can make it to VA on your own and then I can take yall to the country.

As long as it isn't rainin I can ride all day. Where in VA would you wanna meet? I don't know my way 'round those parts too well.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The group ride was a blast despite getting caught in some rain on the way back. Props to HNasty again for leading the pack through unfamiliar territory. The picture below is the view from the spot we stopped at on Skyline Drive.

Snowden - didn't bring the GoPro this time but will the next. Kicking myself because the footage would have been great.

edit: Anyone know the name of the BBQ place we stopped at?

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 8, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McLarenF1 posted:

I recorded the ride via GPS, here's the route we took out to Skyline Drive. I can't remember who, but someone wanted it for reference (click for link to Google Maps).

That was me, thanks for posting this.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

Lets do 33 and 250 soon, I'm down for next weekend if anyone else is.

I'm free this weekend, but need to look at that leaking fork seal to see how bad it is. Might need to rip the poo poo apart before I go on any more long rides :douche:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Southwade posted:

Saw this on another forum:

Commonwealth of Virginia: Allow safe lane splitting in traffic and at red lights

http://www.change.org/petitions/commonwealth-of-virginia-allow-safe-lane-splitting-in-traffic-and-at-red-lights

None of us are in favor of that, we all ride Can-Am Spyder's that do not fit in between cars at lights. This is a Can-Am Spyder rider forum.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McLarenF1 posted:

I've got plans on Sunday, you guys up for an early Saturday morning ride?

Count me in for at least a few hours Saturday, I don't have plans until noon. This is still depending on fork seal issue. If it's not bad I'll put off fixing it another weekend.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

Saturday morning and if it's raining, Sunday morning.

Are we talkin' about weekend 20/21 or 27/28? If it's the 27th or 28th count me in for sure, looks like a great ride. I'm guessing we'd meet in Georgetown again?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

Looks like rain again this weekend, I'm getting real sick of this horse poo poo. The weekend of the 26th I have a wedding to attend :(

Arg. I'll be in Ocean City this weekend so I can't come even if the weather is nice. Count me out the 20th or 21st most likely :(

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

I'm gonna plan for satruday but if the weather is gonna be bad might push till sunday morning, I'll be leaving early.

Does anyone know of a self serve car wash in DC? No hose at my building, so the bike still has tons of pollen on it even after getting caught in the rain.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

Get a bottle of Honda polish and an old T-shirt and go to town

I always thought it was bad to use this stuff without washing with soap and water first?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McLarenF1 posted:

According to this AMA State by State Motorcycle Law webpage, motorcycles aren't required to have turn signals in MD, DC or VA. Does that mean that weaving between cars on the highway without signaling (while still unsafe) is perfectly legal?

If you don't have turn signal lights, I believe you still have to use your hand to signal you are moving into another lane.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what thread it was, but ought ten was recently talking about the closed le mans track over by RFK. There was some sort of event going on at the very end of the stadium parking lot, so the gate on Oklahoma Ave was just open. I rode in and did a few slow laps. It's still easy to tell exactly where the boundaries of the track are. As for taking your DRZ over there... I am not sure how successful that would be. I didn't see any cops or Paul Blarts, but a revving "dirtbike" in the distance might draw unwanted attention. Still, if you want to go over there and try our luck sometime this week, count me in.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McLarenF1 posted:

If this is what you're talking about, I'm so in! When and where exactly are we meeting?

Yep, that's the spot. It just looks like the RFK parking lot until you are actually right on top of it. I'm going to skip out if you guys are heading over there tonight - this weather is no fun to ride in. Count me in on the next sunny afternoon. We can meet in the normal spot if you guys want and then ride through the city, that seems to be the most convenient for where everyone is located.

Southwade posted:

Stopped in Georgetown this evening.

That's a great shot, what kind of camera are you using?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

the man is out to ruin my summer

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

I made the mistake of living in VA, I'm caught up in the system man. I've been trying to get off this Control Period/Probation bullshit for 10 years. First you have to drive 6 months with no tickets to get off probation, then you have to drive 18 months without a ticket to get off the control period, just as I'm about to reach the end of my time I get a stupid ticket and it starts all over again. Back in the system with the riff raff again.

What kind of ticket exactly puts you on the control period? I've heard some horror stories from friends getting tickets in VA, but never heard about such long probation.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is interested in an RFK track day trip report: HNasty and I ended up being the only ones to show up. We rode over there and the entrance I used last time was chained closed, so we used the main entrance on Oklahoma that goes down a path. We had to ride by a rent-a-cop to do this and he drove over to us, making sure we weren't about to ride around the track. They don't usually have security there that I've seen, but a construction crew was in the middle of building a big stage on the lot so it may have been because of that. I really hope the construction in there isn't permanent because it's smack dab in the middle of the track :negative: Other than that it was a good riding day with no rain.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone down for a night ride on Friday if the weather holds up? I will be out of town Saturday and Sunday, but tomorrow afternoon/night is wide open.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

Hoping to go to Book of Mormon tomorrow (sorry Mormons) so I don't think I can. I swung by RFK today and looked like just the regular farmer's market in our lot, no stage, so maybe we can hit that up soon.

Book of Mormon is in DC????

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

Yes, but its run ends this weekend.

Ahh. Well have fun!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

hot sauce you still want to do a quick ride tonight? I don't have anything in mind.

Sure, I'll text you after work. I might only have an hour or so tonight, can you think of anything near us between 1-2 hours?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I will be home about 6 today. Rock Creek sounds good to me. You down to meet in Chinatown?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yep, sounds good to me. See you then.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone going to the Baltimore Grand Prix this year? I remember some talk about it in email but can't find it. I'm pretty sure a friend and I are driving up on Friday to check out qualifying. I also don't have plans Labor Day weekend if anyone wants to do a big ride.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Royale with Cheese posted:

Hey DC gang, I'm a bit further south than most of you but I hit the city a few times each month.

Location: Leonardtown, MD (Hot Sauce, I'm about 20 minutes away from Budd's Creek)
Bikes: '03 Triumph Speed Four/'04 Kwak Ninja 250
Years Ridden: 2.5
Down for whatever.

Cool, I like to ride around MD down there when I can. Funny you mention Budds Creek...HNasty and I were talking recently about having a quarter mile goon meet there sometime, just for shits :clint:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

Hey anyone wanna gently caress around in Loudoun county and ride up to Summit Point this weekend, they're having endurance races up there.

Gaaaaah this sounds awesome but I will be helping family with some home repairs Saturday. I'll be back Sunday around 1 if anyone's still around then, I do plan on riding.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

We can do sat or sunday, I think on sunday you'll have to pay entry to get into Summit.

Don't plan it on Sunday because of me, I can see myself not having time this weekend for Summit :(

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CheeseSpawn posted:

Who do we pm for the email distro? My bike is back up and I need to break these new tires in. Standard straight commute doesnt help.

PMed you, I can add you in.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Count me in on that October ride.

HNasty posted:

Hot Sauce and I were talking about doing a long (all day) ride on Labor Day weekend, prolly head down to SW VA and WV, if the weather is good of course.

We were thinking Sunday or Monday of this upcoming weekend. Sunday is much better for me but we didn't have a concrete day yet. Hopefully the weather is nice and the cops aren't writing too many tickets :cop:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McLarenF1 posted:

I'm going to the Grand Prix on Fri and Sat, and probably hitting the bars afterwards (read: Sunday = recovery day), so I can only do a Monday ride.

I might be going to the Grand Prix on Friday as well, I'll hit you up if I am there. As for riding, Monday may or may not work, I was hoping we'd do it Sunday. HNasty what day works best for you?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

My plan is to gently caress off early Sunday morning (Monday as the back update in case of bad weather)and do around 400 miles, I'll be happy to accommodate anyone that comes but I would suggest picking up something comfy for your seat. Gonna be up in the mountains for most of the time, VA and WV mixed up.

Count me in for this. Hopefully we have clear skies all day.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

Except for the fact that you're going to get rained on that sounds like it should be a great ride.

It wouldn't be a proper ride without a storm on the way back. It actually hailed for a few minutes this time as well, I poo poo you not. We huddled under this bridge for cover until the rain slowed down. The best part was seeing an old dude on a chromed out trike ride by wearing only a bathing suit, honking and waving at us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CheeseSpawn posted:

Kinda glad I chickened out. Although I dont mind riding in the rain, I'd rather avoid it. I'm afraid my bike would explode after I installed some projectors. I also dont have the wrist strength for a longer ride so I would probably need to get some type of throttle lock.

If you want to give your wrists some relief, a few folks have this: http://www.amazon.com/Crampbuster-CB2-CrampBuster-Wide/dp/B000GZPH2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378392634&sr=8-1&keywords=cramp+buster

I purchased one but haven't tried it out yet. The people who have it seem to really like it. Also, you should buy some rain gear - we have had rain every single ride over 1 hour long :argh:

• Locked thread