Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

Anyone wanna get up early for cars and coffee this sat?

Arg I've been meaning to check that out, but I'll be at the Bmore comic con this Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

It's looking like the stupid loving moving company is going to drag their stupid loving feet until at least october, so I might as well ask now. Where do you guys keep your bikes in winter? I don't know anybody with a garage, and my place only has aboveground parking lots.

I don't have a garage either and this will be my first winter with a bike. Currently, I keep it in a closed area in an alley under a staircase, so that's not gonna fly for December - February. I plan on riding it as far into November as the weather allows and then find a place to store it. My best idea so far is a friends condo parking garage under his building.

If we have multiple DC folks looking to store something for a few months, my landlord has a bunch of garages up on 1st and V St NW we could all chip in for. I believe it's ~225 a month for a 2 car garage space, not climate controlled.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 10, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

1st and V is just a couple blocks from me so I could keep an eye on bikes if we stuck them there. Could probably get 6 or 8 bikes in a 2 car spot. You know if it has power?

Yes, they have power but it's only one outlet for a battery tender or something. I can talk to him on rates and as the date gets closer we can see who's still interested. I'm pretty cool with him so we wouldn't need any early notice or contract.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

Today's ride

Love the write up and pictures. I have nothing more to add, but for any confused locals - we rode the perimeter of Charles County after making our way through Prince George's County. That first shot is at the dead end on rt 6. Hopefully more folks can join next time it was a lot if fun!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Koruthaiolos posted:

There are a bunch of small roads around there that look like they'd be tons of fun but they all have federal no trespassing signs and I always get too nervous to go down them,

As long as we don't have to bust through gates or anything, we should check those out.

ought ten posted:

hot sauce is a much better photographer than I am.

I was going to post this when I had access to a computer with internet - I couldn't get the forums app to post an attachment yesterday :(

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Matthew Bueller posted:

Met some of you guys a couple (few?) months ago for a ride down to Sky Line Drive. Me on the V-Rod all of you on various. I personally know Mr. Eric Praline, think I met Hot Sauce, can't remember the others.

Yep, I was there riding on the black ninja. Sorry to hear about your spill, hopefully everything is fixed soon.

I won't be in town this coming weekend, but am down to ride the next if anyone's free.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm seriously bummed that I can't make this...I'll have a friends wedding that weekend. You guys have to take some pics down there.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

A bunch of 12 O'Clock Boys wannabes tore through my neighborhood couple nights back. I was coming home after a quick lap around the city when I passed a half dozen cops circled around an ATV and a kid on the ground at the Hess station at Florida and Rhode Island. Didn't think too much of it but when I got home my roommates said a whole bunch of them were blasting up and down our street, riding on the sidewalks, etc. I'm probably lucky I didn't get chased by the cops when I rode past them.

smh - get with the times old man, those were the DC Wheelie/Glory Boyz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPgk4s81zo8

But in all seriousness, there is a no chase policy in dc so you would have been fine as long as you wheelied away from them :rock:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

Who is up for a breakfast at the crown vic this sat or sunday?

I'll most likely be around either day.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

But the main thing is to find a safe parking space and get back up on a bike in general, since I'm getting a little stir-crazy in DC.

I'm still debating getting a garage from my landlord for Dec - Feb, but we would have to have at least 5 guys throwing in for that to really be worth it in my opinion. The garage is on 1st and V NW and would be $225-250 a month. I know ought ten is interested, what do you think?

Someone has offered me the free spot in their garage though, which is why I'm holding out on the other option.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Is it covered/offstreet? Cause I'd be down for that too. If not, I'd also be fine with storing it at Praline's backyard for a few months.

Yeah, it's a fully covered garage with a locking door. No heat but there is an outlet for a battery tender or something. I haven't been over there in a while but from what I remember about 5 or 6 bikes could fit inside. If there continues to be interest I'm gonna go check it out again.

The only real worry I'd have is someone seeing the door open with 5+ bikes inside.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Miskatonic U. posted:

I live in Arlington right across the key bridge. I did the MSF and got my license a year ago but haven't really done anything with it. I just got a bike. I'd like to meet some of you fine people, as soon as I learn how to not die on it.

Get some practice in quick, this awesome weather won't last. What kind of bike did you get?

lowcrabdiet posted:

Anyhow, I still haven't been to the RFK track and I'd like to check it out sometime. Anyone up for it this week/next week?

I'm out of town this weekend, but I'm in for a couple times after work next week.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

For the love of god don't go out with those hooligans. If you want to live stay as far away as possible. Just this weekend they got a gentle talking-to from a police officer as they proceeded meekly out of a parking lot.

Them pigs are just lucky they didn't try to give us a written warning :clint:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

How late in the year do you guys usually stop riding? I've just found out it's probably going to be another two weeks till the bike gets fixed. I've spent most of the last decade in boston, so riding past mid-october seems an impossible thing in my mind, but I don't know when it gets cold/icy/whatever in this area. Don't really want to buy any winter gear either, I'm only here for 3 winters and I'll never use it again when I move away.

:sigh: 2+ months for a handlebar and a light.

This is my first winter so I'm just guessing here, but I'm planning on riding into mid November. If we have another mild winter like last year though, I won't be winterizing the bike at all.

What exactly is wrong with your bike?

edit: to elaborate on our winters here, it doesn't snow that much but can be a crap shoot. We had a snowstorm that shut the city down for a week in 2010, and then had 70 degree winter days in 2012. December through early March will most likely be the months that are too cold to ride in.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 7, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone riding this weekend? If it's not raining I'll be on the bike or at the very lest get some laps in at the track.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

According to some wonk on the Kojo show today, "there is a sea of asphalt just north of RFK stadium" that would be the perfect spot for new soccer fields.

Sounds like we need to make as much use of that track as possible before it's dug up into a park.

or we could just switch to dirt bikes and supermotos :unsmigghh:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

This saturday 10% of rain (which means 100% for us) and 63, might be the last chance to ride before everything becomes cold and miserable. Lets do it!

Count me in for Saturday. Let's do a big ride.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

Does 9 work for everyone ?

That's a bet

edit: where are we meeting up

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

How does the Exxon at the end of M street sound? It's where we usually meet. It's a pain in the butt for me though.

I'm fine with anywhere, M st Exxon is good for me but if somewhere off 66 is better just give me the coordinates.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HNasty posted:

Does 9 work for everyone ?

We had a good ride/lunch on Saturday despite some ducking delays getting on the road :f5h: Hopefully we have another warm weekend in the near future.

Does anyone have any mechanic suggestions for around here? I was persuaded to get the valve adjustment done by a professional, as I am still learning basic maintenance myself and want this particular one done right the first time. Also, does anyone have any idea how much that would cost on a 08 ninja 250?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

I did my first valve adjustment with Z3n's help earlier this year, it really wasn't that hard, just tedious. I could pay it forward and help you out if you'd like.

e oh dang, newgens have shims, never mind :buddy:

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Bring your little ninja over, we can do your valve check together.

Thanks that would be awesome, I'd love to learn how to do it. I've read through the maintenance manual but there is nothing like hands on. I'll probably want to do this before the next riding season so I'll be bringing it up right before Spring. If sitting through winter wouldn't affect it, I'd be down to do it in October or November as well. Let me know what time is good for you guys.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Valve check isn't affected by sitting, so if you're not riding it, it can wait. I'm free most weekends in November. I think you've got my email in the group ride list, so feel free to work timing out with me offline.

The only really annoying thing about valves is that if you need new shims it means a few days with the cover off while you wait for the right size ones. The other option is to get a kit ahead of time, but that's more expensive. I'm seeing ~$80 on ebay. Probably not a bad idea to have a new valve cover gasket ahead of time. You'll need it eventually.

I am looking and think it's probably wise to get that kit. I'll contact you via email to set something up, thanks dude.

M42 posted:

I don't actually own a garage/chunk of pavement/whatever to do work on unfortunately. They don't allow me to do anything in my apt's parking lot :qq:

Speaking of which, I need to change my coolant before winter. I'm probably gonna do it in the parking structure of the landmark mall cause that place is almost abandoned, but if anyone knows a better place to work on poo poo without being bothered by mall cops, let me know.

If you just need a place to do work, I have an area in the back of my apartment (where I keep my bike). It's not really covered, but is separated from the street. On Sunday's I usually have access to a garage as well. It's used for parking by the folks who own the liquor store attached to my building, but you are free to come use it sometime if you'd like.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
:siren:for anyone who lives in DC proper, you will now be seeing much more colorful things doing wheelies down your street:siren:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Wait wait. You can ride 4-wheelers on the street? :psyduck:

Not legally, but that doesn't stop a lot of folks. I've been seeing it pretty frequently this year.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McLarenF1 posted:

HNasty and I are doing a Skyline Drive run on Saturday, stopping by RnR Cycles too for their free dyno runs. Anyone else want to come?

efb, kinda.

I'm in

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I wonder if I could get my buddy to let me borrow his KLR...

Edit: Strike that, me and Hot Sauce are doing his valves on Sunday.

We can reschedule no problem if it's a good riding day. These warm-ish weekends won't last much longer :)

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Well, looks like time to talk about winter storage for real. Hot sauce, how many bikes you think we can fit in that garage space your landlord's renting?

It's somewhere between the size of a 1 and 2 car garage if I remember correctly. The thing is, it didn't seem like anyone was seriously interested when I brought it up before so I haven't spoken with him. Also, McLarenF1 recently offered me the extra space in his parents garage and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna take him up on that for December-February. Sorry :(

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McLarenF1 posted:

Now that I actually have a bike I care about I want to make sure I take care of it. Are there benefits to keeping a bike inside in a climate controlled environment versus my garage? I guess it'd keep the bugs and rodents out right? I've got an empty living room and family room I could store bikes in, just wondering if it's worth the effort of getting a ramp or peice of wood to get them up the two stairs and into the house.

I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle through the inside of a house. We should do this just 'cuz :dukedog:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Eric Praline taught me how to fish yesterday:

We did the first valve adjustment (PO never did one), replaced the coolant and new plugs. We also removed the hackjob underglow kit that was on the bike when I purchased it. This was the first maintenance I have done beyond the basics and cannot wait to tear it down again.

Koruthaiolos posted:

Ode to Road Surfaces

Awesome pics, looks like that was a lot of fun. I know I say it all the time but I really want a supermoto.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

e: Amongst other feelings, such as "oh my loving god PO, three of these valves have NO CLEARANCE AT ALL :tizzy:"

Only 2 of mine were out of spec, but there were a few other questionable things from the PO. That underglow kit was such a rats nest of wires we just decided to remove it altogether. It looks a lot cleaner now.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Any of you guys ever ride with these folks?

http://www.meetup.com/virginiasportriders/

A friend from work told me about it and said they do sane grouprides. I joined just to keep an eye on their events to see if something fun pops up.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just reserved my ticket. They did a showing in December at the smithsonian and it sold out quickly. Hopefully this one sells enough tickets as more people find out about it.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I should be in town on Friday and Saturday. What day are you going?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not enough tickets sold for Why We Ride, event canceled :( I believe it's on Netflix DVD though.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
We could all go see the Lego Movie instead

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Would love to join if my bike was accessible :smithicide: Spring can't come soon enough

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nah I can hold off, I'm just getting a little stir crazy without the bike. I agree it's going to be a few more weeks of snow and below freezing temps :(

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you forgot out route we took, it was 210 south to 225 then over to rt 6. All of those roads in the middle of Charles County are scenic and would be fun to get lost on. Remember, the good roads don't start until the end of rt 210. Don't know of any dirt roads that are public property though.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Where'd you guys end up riding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The 301 bridge even more terrifying when you're in traffic. If you are ever stopped on it, check out the support beams and other structural parts. It's one of the few bridges I feel genuinely unsafe on. The recent toll increase is supposedly to repair it during the next few years.

As for that dirt class, I'm still in 100% during a nice spring weekend. For anyone else wondering, it's a 2 day dirt riding class down in NC a few of us had discussed going to last year but plans fizzled out. Everyone is welcome, I believe we are going to camp or rent a cheap hotel nearby.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 3, 2014

• Locked thread